Little things in skaters' routines that you really like

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by falling_dance, Feb 2, 2013.

1. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Past and present, in a particular performance or as a general trend. To get the sugarcoated medicine ball rolling...:rollin:

I've always loved the way Kim Yu-Na finished her flying sit spin in the SP at 2011 Worlds. That element just flowed seamlessly into the rest of the program.

2. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Jonathan Cassar's spread eagle - gorgeous

Leng/Leduc's side by side jumps - wonderful.

Maia Shibutani's hands

3. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

Meryl and Charlie's hair situation.

That counts, right?

I really loved this little change they made to their final step sequence last season. I wish it had been there from the start.

4. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

A good falling leaf: I loved Kwan's use of it in "East of Eden."

5. misskarne

misskarne #408

I've always loved it when any skater looks like they're really enjoying themselves. Like when Plushy was rocking the hell out of his steps in the short program at EC, laughing in spite of his pain. Or Josh's smile when he did the arabesque spiral in his long at Nationals, like he knew how well he was skating.

Anything that shows joy, that shows they still remember why they started in the first place, that makes me happy.

6. aims

aims New Member

The expressive hand movements Yuzuru Hanyu displays in all his spins. If you look closely, his hands are always moving in synch with accents in the music.

7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Watching the Russian Junior Nats, I love Seraphima Sahanovich's entrance into her 3F.

8. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Carolina Kostner 2011 LP Afternoon of a faun :
    I love the entrance to Loop and the rest of the program : 3Loop, spiral sequence, step sequence...
    http://youtu.be/dEHzfiygvtU?t=2m53s

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  9. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Stolbova depicting the Family Adams hand with her arm.

Generally when the programmes are 2 directional - Morozov is the worse - all his programmes are choreographed to the judges side, if you are sitting on the opposite side of the rink you'll see the skater's behind most of the time. Fernandez' SP to "Nu Pogodi' and his step seq with the eyebrows is the example to the worst ever.
    IMHO Kostner's programmes are beautiful from any direction, much to my surprise so are Stolbova/Klimov's and (ouch) Agafonova/Ucar

10. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Arakawa's Ina Bauer! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!

Ditto on Charlie's hair.

11. miki88

miki88 New Member

I like Michelle's COE spirals which were always a highlight in her programs. I also really like the beautiful opening to her Dreams of Desdemona program.

I like one-handed biellman spins, especially the one used by Mao at the end of her Nocturne SP.

12. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

I like it when any skater reaches down and caresses the ice. The first skater I recall doing that was Toller Cranston, and many other Canadian skaters have used that move since.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  13. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

When skaters, especially female skaters, have full extension in landing position ala Michelle and Caro's double axel. Honestly, Carolina's double axel makes me grasp my breath(besides the long set-up)!

14. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I like walleys, half loops, and one footed axels as connecting elements. A good Russian split jump. In pro skating a huge delayed split or tuck axel. An exceptionally musical skater always gets my attention even if I don't like the music. As far as spins - a fast camel spin with beautiful line and stretch.

I like a skater who works with their body type and does what they do well. If you are built like a brick house go for jumps and grand moves. If you have spaghetti legs go for the interesting flexibility moves.

15. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I guess this is a somewhat controversial choice, but I think what helped edge Kwan out over Irina in the 2002 SLC SP (other than skating on home turf) was all the little nuances Kwan had throughout the routine such as her sit spin, and her air punch during her combo spin, etc. It's the little things that matter most.

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

^^^ I agree with you about the controversial part ;)

----

What do you define as "little things" ? Kwan's split falling leaf and Jonathan's spread-eagle are highlights in their respective performances, so I would not classify those moves as little things. Some memorable highlights for me are choreographic details like the way Kwan moved her upper arms and shoulders in wave-like motion before going into the flying camel in her Schez LP, or how Sergei and katia's hands weaved under and over each other but never touched in their MoonLight Sonata performance.

17. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

18. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

that has always enamored me too

19. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I love the way Tessa and Scott's movements are so completely in sync. Their attention to detail is exquisite.Their connection to each other is second-to-none.

20. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

^ I just looooooved their original SD opening choreo this season which shows how little things in movement can make a huge impact. Too bad it's gone:(

21. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

I've always loved the way Michelle Kwan pointed her fingers on the landings of her jumps. It always stood out for me and caught my eye, really nice touch.

22. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

This is probably a big thing :slinkaway! but Hanyu's counter before his 3A-it was such a surprise that a jump came after it!

The little changes of edge in the spirals Meryl and Charlie addd to their free skate at US Nationals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A6FJeYztaeI#t=138s

I like the stalking like a cat section where Tessa is chasing down Scott at the beginning of their Carmen FD.

23. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I loved that moment from D/W, too! So genius:swoon:

24. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i love how ashley wagner used her arms in her black swan spiral sequence- i also loved how g&g presented thier jumps - skating backwards with a landing position prior to the jump sequence- it alwasy seemed so polished to me

25. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

26. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

27. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I loved Sasha Cohen's very musical and long entry into her 3Flip in her Malaguena SP.
    Also liked Slutskaya's entrance into her 2Axel in her Olympic SP. I have "stolen" this entrance from her for my pupils actually ;)

28. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Jonathan Cassar's spread eagle sequence - deep edges, incredible speed, real drama.

I also loved Courtney Hicks' split jump variations in her exhibition programs and her wonderful combination spin. Was it my imagination, or did she and Agnes Zawadski both do blindingly fast back spins in their programs? Great way to end a program.

29. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I love the way Kwan used to combine her spirals together. 1998 East of Eden and 2002 Fields of Gold are grand examples.

30. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I loved the smile flashed by Midori every time she landed a difficult jump- not really a part of 'skating' but it generated a lot of excitement for the viewers.