Little Girls Dancing; Too Young to 'Put a Ring on It'?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, May 15, 2010.

1. soxxy

soxxy Guest

The girls are 8 and 9 year-olds. I think they're talented, but it's all a bit too much, IMO. Then again, I'm not a parent.

The dance:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dc6u92boyw

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfmoms/detail?entry_id=63572&type=moms

Uh, mom, the girls likely saw more than just the chimpmunk 'Squeakquel' movie.

2. Norlite

Norlite New Member

When my daughter was 5 (she's 27 now) , her dance class did a number in the annual recital to "Papa Don't Preach"

I was a little surprised at her dance teacher's choice, but no other parent said a word that I'm aware of.

3. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

To much? Uh! Yeah! But its what advertising and marketing breeds! Of course a parent needs to be a parent and I am sure the parents of these girls are as befuddled by the marketing too!

4. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Hmmm, 1988-ish. Do you remember what they wore?

"I made up my mind, I'm keeping my baby!" Did they hold dolls? The mind reels. :lol:

5. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I do find that they are sexualizing these young girls. They do it at all these type events-rather it be a pageant or dance competition. Imo It's pretty much because the adults are living their own dreams though their daughters. AND because the young girls see the glam of the adults they are imitating and they think it's all shiny and pretty.

6. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Beyonce's video for this features less skimpy attire and less suggestive movement.

This is disturbing. They are dressed like and dancing like strippers. And the parents who think it is okay need some help.

7. Norlite

Norlite New Member

There wore a lot more than these girls. Leotards, tights and a skirt.

No, no dolls. But OMG if they had :lol:

8. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I think it's disgusting. I don't care what the girls are aware of and what they're not aware of - this is way too mature for little girls. And I don't care what little kids are exposed to, whether it be in the past or now - doesn't make it right. This is akin to the little girl pagents where they all dress/dance like Vegas showgirls, IMO.

9. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I think if the outfits hadn't been so.....slutty.....there wouldn't be as much outrage. There are a couple of questionable moves, but with a cuter, less revealing costumes, they wouldn't stand out so much.

10. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I attended a dance school for 12 years (1986-1998), and I never remember any of the parents being allowed to, or trying to, call the shots on the competition group numbers. The solo competition routines, maybe, and I wouldn't know because those are worked in in private lessons only, but not the groups.

11. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I have close friends whose children do competition dance and two nieces who used to do these competitions so I know parents have some influence but I was talking about the adults creating the routines and selecting the costumes.

12. piano18

piano18 New Member

Horrible!! Just..terrible!

13. Auntie

Auntie New Member

I remember watching a dance recital when my children were little. One of the more accomplished high school girls did a verrry suggestive solo to "All that Jazz". My friend said to me "Oh joy, look what we have forward to. We pay for ten years of dance lessons, costumes, competitions, etc. and then we can watch our daughters dance like strippers in front of all our friends." :scream:

14. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I agree the gyrations are too much and the costumes look like street walkers. Shame on this instructor. I wonder how she taught them some of that stuff?

15. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

That's about the size of it, unfortunately.

16. lise

lise New Member

considering that they are marketing a bra at girls at the age of 6 these days, nothing surprises me.

17. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Yep, WAY too suggestive. The hip rolls at the end were blatantly sexual. Combined with the costuming, it was in totally bad taste. Had they worn less revealing outfits with tights I'd be more okay with this.

They are all really good dancers. Just not liking that pedophiles could watch this and get off to it. It's right up their alley. Gross.

18. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

My dance company used to go back and do an annual concert at the home town of one of the dancers. We would perform with all these kids aged 5-18. I remember watching the high school age girls doing a really raunchy performance to "Pour Some Sugar on Me" and someone commenting "Their parents must be so happy about all the money they've spent on dance lessons when they watch this." :lol: We also thought it was obvious that the girls didn't have the slightest idea what made the moves so sexy.

For this group of obviously much younger girls, I think the moves are fine - some of the booty shaking is a bit skeevy on girls that young, but those are valid hip hop moves at this point. The costumes are what make this really squicky IMO. I don't think there would be the same level of outrage if they'd been wearing full leotards with equally short skirts, minus the burlesque decorations.

19. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone who has said that the costumes are the worst part. A different outfit would have made a huge difference. It's too bad really, they're all very good dancers.

20. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

really talented girls! :eek: eys, the costumes were a bit in bad taste...

21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Icky all the way around -- valid moves or not. Some of the expressions on their faces were a bit creepy too.

22. Glide2

Glide2 New Member

I agree. It's the outfits. :rolleyes: But the audience at the performance seemed to be responding to the girls attitude and confidence and not the costumes. On one entertainment show they had a video of a different dance performance by the girls in plainer outfits. It allowed the viewer to focus on the dance instead the vivid, odd costume.

23. talldrink

talldrink New Member

I found it disturbing to watch the little girls do hip gyrations and shoulder thrusts. One of the last moves they did was the girls squating and thrusting their hips forward. Ick.

24. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Yeah...that bit at the end. The outfits are only part of the problem here.

25. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

What's the uproar? Whoever created this routine should be commended for teaching little girls about saving themselves for marriage! :saint: Now if the lyrics were "if you want it, better put a $50 on it [the nightstand]", that'd be a different story.

But, seriously, yes it made me feel a bit pervy. Those girls were fantastic dancers, though, for their age.

26. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

You know, people always say this, but I thought that what attracts pedophiles is innocence and childishness and not "mature" behavior. They are attracted to children, not to short, undeveloped adults.

Otherwise, not surprised by any of it. But I've been to some dance recitals and cheerleading competitions and fashion shows in the past few years, and while it's all kinda out there on the fringes, it's not all that different. The hip and shoulder bits at the end are right out of the video, as are other bits and pieces. If you send a little girl to hip hop dance classes, that's the kind of thing they learn.

27. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Oh my holy bananas, I'm going to encourage my granddaughter to do something other than her dance class, just in case it is headed in this direction. Other than not liking the content, I think these particular girls can actually dance quite well, in fact, spectacularly, and I am surprised that they are this flexible at such a young age.

28. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

It is up to the parent to voice concerns. My niece was in hip hop, tap, ballet classes at a young age. She was talented, tall for her age and in classes with older girls. When the teacher wanted the girls to wear lots of make-up to look older, sister put her foot down and said no. Also had some input to the costume design.

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If the blond girl who's in the middle at the end of the video didn't have the slightest idea of what made the moves so sexy, then she's the best imitator I've ever seen. Were there no age limitation, she could fit into any pro cheerleading team.

30. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Hideous costumes and tragic makeup aside, I don't see the problem. The girls are really talented dancers.