Little Gems from Prince Philip...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, Jun 9, 2011.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

2. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet Well-Known Member

‘If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she isn’t interested.’ On his daughter, Princess Anne.

Sounds like Princess Anne and I have the same taste in men ... sadly.

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I gotta give him major props for calling it like it is. Russia: the Germans WISH they were as good at getting away with mass murder.

Also this one:
    And this:

4. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Some of these are quite offensive, some are ill-informed, and others are hilarious.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Oh dear.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I'll bet this didn't go over so well (although I'm not quite sure what he was getting at.)

7. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Are you trying to be offensive or do you just not know better?

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I don't get it either. Anyone?

9. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Maybe equating the fire at Windsor Palace to the death and trauma caused by the PanAm bombing over Lockerbie didn’t go over too well. Oh, I see. It’s not that in question. Yeah, it is kinda hard to see what Phillip was trying to say.

10. milanessa

Surely he couldn't have meant...no, he couldn't. :yikes:

Okay, this thought occurred to me. If he was talking to survivors...there were some homes that weren't completely destroyed but did have fire damage. You don't think he was trying to be one of them, do you? I mean, they would have had some water damage too.

11. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

In this order:
    Offensive = 85%
    Ill-informed = 10%
    Hilarious = 5%

But yes, there is the occasional hilarious gem.

12. jen_faith

jen_faith New Member

I met him several years ago at a reception given for him in his capacity as the honorary chair of the World WildLife Fund (Federation?). He was a bit "gaffe-y" but also very very good at circulating and meeting the crowd. I could see where the foot in mouth-itis would come in, tho'.

13. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

I have a guess here: he was trying to say that the aftermath of a disaster is very long and painful even for the royal family, so he knows that they are still suffering repercussions from Lockerbie.

I can't tell if the quotes are really offensive, it all depends on whether he was trying to be amusing when he said them and for that played with stereotypes or stating the obvious, which are two accepted forms of comedy, or if he actually meant what he said... I really hope that wasn't it.

14. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I think they're pretty funny. Dry sense of humor sort of thing.

15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Nope, tired of Russia getting a pass for spending the twentieth century slaughtering millions (well, technically, the worst of the lot was a Georgian hick who turned out to be really good at scaring people into doing what he said, but still-overwhelming majority of Soviet leaders and functionaries were Russians) while Germany is STILL guilt-tripped over their (admittedly bad) actions ca. 1936-1945. The Soviet Russians were far, far worse than Germany ever dreamed and frankly if we're hauling elderly capos into court and minor Yugoslavs over a few thousand there are still plenty of ex-KGB who ought to be up against the wall. Otherwise we owe Germany a HUGE appology. (Actually Russia really ought to appoogize for the war attrocities committed on their front--rape and burn was official red army policy.)

The Soviet Union were were worse butchers than anyone who EVER ran Germany, including Adolph Hitler. There's absolutely nothing offensive or wrong about calling out their having gotten a free pass when they deserved to be treated exactly like the Nazis. (I realize some people on this board are Russophiles, but the fact they can crank out a few great skaters doesn't give them a bye for things like Ketyn or the genocide against the Ukrainian farmers, never mind something like one in ten women in Berlin being raped during the occupation.) If modern Germany is still regretting and apologizing, modern Russia has a LONG way to go before they deserve not to be called out. *Japan* has shown more remorse for their country's past actions and they're very reluctant to admit to anything like Nanking or the sex slavery in occupied Korea.

16. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Thanks for the history lesson. But look at your original statement. You make it sound like all Germans & Russians have to apologize for their nation. Only murderers need to feel guilt for murder. I feel no guilt for the murders due to American policy.

I found very few of Prince Phillip's gaffes funny. More like elitist & ignorant.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I read somewhere where he and the late Princess Margaret used to trade racist jokes to one another. The Queen Mum made her share of comments too. Wish I could remember where I read this; I was living in San Diego at the time.

18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

There's one that missing, and I can't find when he said it....he was asked what was the main problem in Brazil (I think this was in reference to the rainforests being destroyed) and his answer was "Brazilians live there".

19. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

He sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant man. :blah:

20. milanessa

He does, doesn't he?

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Do you think the young princes' attitude is better?

22. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

In looking at the picture of Him and Elizabeth when the were younger (in the article), I can see a little of Prince Harry.

23. milanessa

:confused: I was talking about the OP's link. Are you drifting?

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes.

25. milanessa

Okay. Well, I remember a few decades ago when Prince Charles was taken to task in the media (and some public) for the lack of minorities in whatever regiment it was that he commanded and the Royals in general prefer that no one of color be on their staff. As far as the youngest princes the only thing I'm aware of is Harry's wearing of a Nazi uniform to a costume party.

26. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet Well-Known Member

Makes you feel kinda bad for Prince Charles. They really were shitty parents.

27. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

While I don't condone some of his more racist or ignorant comments, I do give him some slack on some of them. Because really, nowadays people complain about everyone being so PC in their speech as to not offend someone. Prince Philip is not PC, and given his age, I doubt he will start any time soon. And although he could use a filter on some of his thoughts, I enjoy the fact that he says whatever comes into his head.

28. milanessa

You're kidding right?

29. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

Nope, and I don't think that my opinion on the matter makes me a bad person.

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Actually, with age on occasion the gradual destruction of the brain function may lead to a weakened or in some cases, an obliterated social filter. I think that was the case with Helen Thomas and her infamous Jews remark.