Linichuck/Karponosov

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by skylarcat, Jan 6, 2013.

1. skylarcat

skylarcat New Member

Any news on Linichuck/Karponosov? Do they have any elite teams anymore? Seems like they used to have quite a few but haven't heard much from their camp.

2. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

They don't have any top teams anymore

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Stick a fork in them.

They've really struggled with adapting to the new system.

4. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

their teams won worlds 2006, 2007 and 2009.
    so they had great results under the new system they just were run over by the development in other coaching groups.

but i agree, right now they seem to be totally at their lowest point. maybe they will come back strong, let' see.

5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yeah, they're definitely capable of working with the new system. They don't seem to have done well since the SD was implemented. I think their teaching style suited compulsories better, but am surprised they're not mastering drilling key points until they become second nature.

I think they are still experiencing a backlash from DomShabs terrible programs in Vancouver. Then F&S were retired by the judges under their watch, and C&J failed to qualify to the FD... everything is snowballing. No one good will take a risk by going there. If they can wait it out a few years, find that one couple to take back to the top, all will be forgiven.

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Yeah there is just no reason for anyone to be coached by the aboriginal dance coaches and choreographers. D/s dealt with that because they were actually the world champions -Which few actually agreed with anyway- and just being good in the cd.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

By new system I meant not IJS itself but all the major changes to Ice Dance in general. They don't seem to be able to keep up.

Even second rate teams like Pushkash/Guerreiro have left them now.

8. akkto

akkto New Member

OK, you can´t bear Domnina and Shabalin. Got it

9. Macassar88

I think that they are great coaches in terms of improving actual skating.
    Their choreography was hit and miss - Linichuk choreographed Denkova and Staviski's Lacrimosa which is one of my favorite free dances.
    They just need a good team to come to them and get some good results and they will get a bunch of new teams.

I wonder if the Russian Fed could force some of Kustarova's teams to go over there. Like Yankovskaya and Mozgov since Sinitsina and Zhiganshin seem to be getting all of Kustarova's attention and YM don't really have anything to lose.

10. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Things are cyclical. They may not have a top team by Sochi, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a strong team by 2018. Linichuck's routines were horrific in Vancouver, but her politiking power was impressive in 2009 and 2010. I think Domnina/Shabalin winning the bronze (with that OD and FD and with Max's knees the way they were) was a master showmanship in successful politicking.

11. Macassar88

Who would you have put over DS? Belbin and Agosto were also a Linichuk team, and they had pretty bad dances that year too.

12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

^ They certainly didn't have good routines, but B/A certainly had better routines and polish than Dom/Shab. As for the FD, Dom/Shabs' PCS was high for the performance and product they put out with their jarring music and cheating lifts. Faiella and Scali were sort of heavy-handed and a bit boring in their FD, but I preferred them and even an unpolished Delobel/Schoenfelder who performed the hell out of their routine with character over the routines that Dom/Shabs put out in Vancouver. I thought Grushina/Goncharov had the worst FD for an Olympic bronze medalist, and they still might, but Domina/Shabalin came close. Of course, there's always Fusar-Poli/Margaglio but that was more of an anti-Bourne/Kraatz vote than anything. As for the OD, did Domnina/Shabalin have a real folk dance? I know people thought it was an Australian aboriginal dance at first, but after getting major complaints for aboriginal groups who claimed there was no authenticity in the dance, Linichuck tried to convince people that it was just a made up dance from an imaginary prehistoric tribe rather than based on any cultural dance, which is sort of against the spirit of the OD that year.

However, I do agree that Dom/Shab's CD put the others to shame in Vancouver.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  13. caseyedwards

I think I was just posting the majority opinions? Like why else would L/K basically be going out of business?

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Funny, I was just thinking this morning that Linichuk should take one of Kustorova's teams, but I was actually thinking S&Z. I feel like they were dumped a bit at Nationals. I expected them to be a strong 4th and potentially challenging R&T. I would never have expected them to fall behind M&K, and was thinking maybe it was a message to switch coaches now. Sinitsina's posture could really benefit from Linichuk, but I guess Krylova, Shpilband, or even Platov would be preferred at this point.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I'd have placed Domnina/Shabalin like 15th in Vancouver, if that. Max's skating was :yikes: at that point and the programs were horrrific.

16. skylarcat

skylarcat New Member

Thanks for all the replies to this thread regarding L/K. I know its empty at the Aston camp. Saw it with my own eyes but know L/K are always looking to sway teams to them and are usually successful at that lol. Wouldn't surprise me if something is in the works.

17. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

They have no junior teams at all?

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  19. Macassar88

I was thinking that Sinitsina and Zhiganshin were Kustarova's #1 team so they're getting a lot of attention from her meaning that they'd be less willing to leave. However, a team like Yankovskaya and Mozgov which has been dumped internationally has nothing to lose by leaving.

And yes Linichuk would improve the skating of any Kustarova team that went to her. And the choreography would at the worst get slightly better.

20. caseyedwards

Teams that live in the us aren't even going to them! Some team is going to move from Russia to the us for l/k? When all the top talent in the world with spiliband, zeuva, krylova, is also in the us? No one is even willing to risk their taste in choreography.

21. Macassar88

If they could get someone else to do the choreo it would be fine.

22. skylarcat

skylarcat New Member

Didn't they also have Bonacorsi/Majer(spelling) ? They broke up and left as well?

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013