Life After the Games for Five Former Olympians: Features Lipinski, Hughes, Cohen

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, Jun 19, 2012.

1. brightphoton

brightphoton New Member

^ Haha, I guess she gave up her acting ambitions. Sasha's a smart cookie - she knows where the big money is.

2. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Yes, exactly.

Thanks for sharing the article. I'm glad Sasha is continuing her education. No one is ever too old to learn or continue his/her education.

3. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I would like to join their little club, but Joey says it's only for Olympians...

:(

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I wonder why you would call Lipinski and Hughes just Olympic medalists. I mean, isn't that anyone who earned a medal at the Olympics? These two skaters are much more than Olympic medalists. They are Olympic Gold medalists!

5. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Tara Lipinski is 30.

:fragile:

6. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Jeepers, this is a tough crowd. I think that all that Jaana was doing was asking why these women were not given credit in the article for their medals. That's all, and it comes from a place (skating fandom) where medals are almost always mentioned (and it had better be accurate or there's a lot of push-back). Then people started jumping all over her comment - in football speak "unnecessary roughness".

Of course there is a reason that medals weren't mentioned - one of the participants was not a medalist (perfectly ok - no one said it wasn't) and the writer went with a categorization, Olympians, that was inclusive of the five of them. The fact that one of the guys was not a medal winner isn't a fact that might click in immediately to a skating fan - that's understandable.

One question though and I'm not picking at Jaana but want to understand if I have something wrong (I think I must). I thought that at O's the members of the country all skate for medals - in other words, I didn't think the O's included an elimination (or preliminary) round. Am I wrong about that? Have I been wrong for [too many to mention] years? I always thought that there were no preliminary eliminations at the Olympics.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  7. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I wish Cohen would stop whinging about not going to prom. I remember when she was 17 all this talk about her graduating, and then concentrating on skating. She went to her junior prom anyway, so its not like she is completely hard done by.

rah rah rah.

8. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure but isn't there still a cut from the SP to the LP at Olympics?

9. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

In Vancouver, the top 24 went through in the men's and ladies events. The dance and pairs fields were smaller and there was no cut after the SP - but I think there will be one In Sochi.

10. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I know I mean seriously-She went to the Olympics. I would rather be an Olympian than go to the prom with some pimply 17 year old who probably would dance really awkward and try and get in my pants at the hotel party after. I hope that maybe the writer was referring to an old quote, and that she is still not talking about it at 28 LOL!

11. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

For anyone who's interested, I checked:

- The O's have no preliminary rounds - everyone sent to Olympics skates everything, both programs.
    - Not so for Worlds - they used to have preliminary rounds but eliminated those. Now there is a significant cut after the first program whatever it is in the skater's discipline.

12. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Actually, I think they cut some skaters after the short programs at the Olympics. But there are no preliminaries.

13. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

A famous sportswriter called a figure skater taking center ice at the Olympic games all alone with millions watching, the most intense pressure moment in all of sports. Absolutely true. Yet look at the legions of posters here belittling the accomplishment of medaling, let alone winning the gold, by an Olympic figure skater.

14. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

ITA. I guess they are all supposed to be busy saving the world, or finding a cure for the common cold... :shuffle:

15. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

This is correct. I remember Joanne Carter didn't make it through to the LP in 2006

16. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

In many Olympics I have watched, there were skaters who were not successful enough in sp to make the freeskate. Here the sp results )30 skaters) from Vancouver:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/SEG001.HTM

and in the freeskate were 24 skaters:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/SEG002.HTM

17. foreverkwanfan

foreverkwanfan Member

I like that Sasha and Tara are friends and that they hang out all the time.
    It is great that Sasha is attending school, good for her.
    I like Tara more and more, I certainly was scarred when she won gold in 98, but it seems she has done a lot of growing up and I like her as a commentator.
    Sarah seems to self-promote a lot on twitter, it is a little off putting after awhile.

18. SkateBlades17

SkateBlades17 New Member

I have to agree with that.

19. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I also agree, but it's not just Sarah that's off-putting, it's any celebrity that won't get off Twitter (LeAnn Rimes, etc.)

20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I like Sarah's tweets. She's usually tweeting from some event and or charitable activity and I appreciate the fact that she posts a lot of pictures from the events. She's posted some very fun pictures (including John Kerr in a kilt for his birthday dinner :) )

21. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

Thanks for that tidbit. I'll have to keep up with Sarah's tweets more often. :)

22. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

:)

23. RobinA

RobinA Active Member

That's something I didn't need to know.