Life After the Games for Five Former Olympians: Features Lipinski, Hughes, Cohen

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, Jun 19, 2012.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

A nice article that talks about how five former winter Olympians . . . Cohen, Lipinski, Hughes, and speedskater Joey Cheek and skiier Jeremy Bloom . . . are all getting together every month.

It also says Sarah Hughes is writing a book about skating.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

3. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

That was truly delightful. What a great idea and what a fun group.

4. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

5. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Great fun. Thanks for the link.

6. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Love Sasha, Alex.

7. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

That was a fun article. Both guys have impressive charities. Wonder why Tara moved to NY? It would be closer to her house in Kiawah. I would love to have a place there. Love that little island.

8. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Well, it was an article, so that's good. But what did it really say? Nothing. What's Lipinski up to except for her Ice Channel commento? And Sarah Hughes is 'writing a book' on skating? It cannot at all be related to proper technique and aesthetic presentation, at least I hope not. Sasha? Eh. Isn't she in Columbia's 'different' school? The one for pro athletes and VIPS? I was much more interested in the skier and skateboarder's resumes. Great for the publicity but I wanted a bit more.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Another reason I decided to put the article thread in the Trash Can. ;)

Sarah Hughes just tweeted the following:
    More info at: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/06/19/celebrating-landmark-anniversary-women-and-girls

10. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Sasha is in the School of General Studies. It's designed for older ("non-traditional age") students, many of whom work full or part-time in addition to going to school. I believe most classes are in the evenings. It also provides more flexibility than the traditional undergrad program (Columbia College) so students don't have to take 4 courses each semester and finish their degree in 4 years (or expected to). It makes sense for someone like Sasha, b/c she travels a lot for SOI and other shows and appearances, plus she is older. I believe Tim Goebel went through the same program. Kim Navarro also graduated from GS - I think she was probably still traditional college age but I assume she needed the flexibility, plus afternoon and evening classes, to accommodate her training.

Yes, GS is easier to get into than the traditional undergrad program, but I assume the professors are the same who teach traditional undergrads and course requirements are similar.

11. ros01

ros01 New Member

Neither is the case, actually. However, I don't think that that should detract from perceptions of Sasha's education. Some people seem to think she is not really studying or not taking it seriously. I am glad she was able to go back to school to achieve new goals.

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

It wouldn't matter to me if they were, or if she was at a completely different school. It sounds like she's having fun and is engaged by the classes - good for her. It must be hard to "leave behind" something that has been as all consuming as skating for the elite level skaters, so I'm always happy when skaters can make a good transition to the next stage - whatever that is for them.

13. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

How nice that they get together once a month! :)

14. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Cool that they've kept in touch after all these years.

The article mentioned they all met at 2002 Olys...Tara wasn't a competitor there. I guess she was a spectator? It surprises me because I don't recall any cameras panning to her in the audience (like they always do for Kristi/Peggy/ Dorothy/Boitano whenever they attend a skating comp).

15. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I attended the 2002 Olympics and got Tara's autograph at a signing sponsored by Hallmark. So she was definitely there at some point. Still have it on an Olympic Hallmark card.

Love the article....thanks for sharing. Sasha will always be one of my all-time favorite skaters. Her line and extension are incomparable. I loved Tara for her joy and competetive moxy and consistency....AND the 3/3 loop. I thought Sara had many lovely aspects to her skating including one of the best laybacks ever...and consistency. Wish any of the top U.S. ladies today had the fire to compete like these three.

Sometimes I cannot believe the ridiculous trash-talking that goes on around here :rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

That is a cool story -- thanks for posting the link.

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Some people will not be satisfied, whatever these Olympians choose to do with their lives.

18. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Tara commentates for Universal Sports. She WAS at the 02 OLY dinner with the other US Ladies gold medalists to welcome Sarah.

Sarah has been working on a book about the OLY gold medalists from the US.

19. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I love feel good articles! :)

Nice to see them all reconnect and enjoying whatever path they're on now.

20. rhumba

rhumba New Member

Anybody knows what is up with Tim Goebel now? Did he graduate? What is he doing now? I'm glad that Sasha diecided to go back to school.

21. skatesindreams

22. rhumba

rhumba New Member

23. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Tara, Sasha and Sarah look great!
    Hmm, that could be really interesting. Good for her.

24. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Tim on having a real job, I seem to remember that he is really bright. And Sasha is as busy as she can be with SOI and college. Good for them.

25. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I thought this response from Tim was too funny (and spot on):

Icenetwork.com: As a Columbia student, you took Literature Humanities as part of the Core Curriculum. What was your favorite book?

Goebel: Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. I've probably read the book six times now. Some of the other stuff that we were forced to read was so painful. I particularly hated [Woolf's] To the Lighthouse. Painful beyond words.

26. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I wonder why Cohen, Lipinski and Hughes are called Olympians? Isn´t an Olympian just anybody (e.g. those who did not make the freeskate) who competed at the Olympics? These three skaters are much more than Olympians, they are Olympic medalists.

27. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting that Olympic medalists should be considered "much more" than ordinary Olympians? Because a lot of athletes go to the Olympics knowing they won't medal, and I don't think it makes their efforts and performances somehow less worthwhile.

Anyway, the article is about five Olympians, one of whom is not an Olympic medalist. Therefore, it makes more sense to refer to them as Olympians.

28. skatesindreams

It's difficult enough to become an Olympian.
    Must we stratify them; as if they aren't worthy of mention unless they win a medal - or as if mentioning the medal in every reference makes them more worthy of our attention?

29. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Hey, and what about all those very talented athletes who are simply unlucky enough never to make the Olympics for reasons having nothing to do with the level of their talent? Doesn't make them more or less better or lesser than the 'luckier' Olympians or even 'luckier' Olympic medalists.

Anyways, I more admire those Olympians who realize that participating at the Olympics or medaling, or bringing home the highest of all, OGM, does not make them more special or somehow above all other gold medal-less human beings. Perhaps as Tara grew up and received some hard knocks in life she maybe gained that greater understanding which I don't think she had during her screeching days as a 15-year-old, unsurprisingly.

Great that these former 'Olympians' seem to have gained some understanding re the importance of building a life after the Olympics and giving back.

30. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Um, did I read it right that the article says Cohen is studying Financial Economics? As in quantitative financial economics?