Libro filum--the book thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Spinner, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

At least that's how Google translates "the book thread". ;)

Amazon has already denied this. I realize this is an article from 2009, but I have doubts they'd try something they have no experience with or pull resources from their current business model. But, as we all know, this industry is in such a state of flux that anything is possible.

But back to books, I picked up Ben Marcus' The Flame Alphabet today. The premise looks quite interesting, about how all of a sudden the speech of children begins killing their parents. :yikes:
  2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:( Sad Luddite.
  3. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Cool title, Spinner!

-Bridget
  4. Fergus

Fergus New Member

Ah, slick, going the Latin route...... :respec: :lol:

BTW: Happy 200th, Charles Dickens!
  5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Me too. I gave in and bought a Nook and already don't like it. I've had it a week and haven't downloaded a thing after I read a sample.
  6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I have Kindle for PC (because it's free.) I published a book for both Kindle and paperback. I tell people to buy the "real" one (ie the paperback.) I've read precisely ONE ebook though I've downloaded 19 (okay, I skimmed some of the Thoreau.) That was Charles Lightoller's "Titanic And Other Ships" and I used the ebook because the reprint is a bit pricey (and first editions can hit $800.) Otherwise I just can't focus on an eBook like I can on a real book.
  7. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

Could be, but the source has, to date, been very reliable. We shall see.

I thought you returned it because it locked up?

I'm closing in on 700 real books on my Nook and still love it. :D
  8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I saw a strange little book about a castaway dog named Sophie aptly named Sophie The Castaway Canine or something like that. Anyone heard of it? I am gonna add it to my must read list. :)
  9. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Never heard of it, but just Googled it ... and it's a true story! Kinda disappointing, actually -- if it were a fiction work, the story could be told more from her point of view. :D
  10. rfisher

I think I fixed it. I guess I should download something and find out.
  11. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

Gave up on this book 50 pages in. Overly descriptive and odd prose along with unlikable characters, I couldn't get into it. Now reading and liking Hari Kunzru's Gods Without Men.
  12. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I'm on the final week of my reading challenge, so I'm trying to cram in books, which means lots of Urban Fantasy. :p I'm currently working my way through book #2 of The Hollows (Kim Harrison). Once the challenge is over I'm going to read a book of poetry by Ursula LeGuin and start digging in to Margaret Atwood's In Other Worlds: SF and the Human Imagination.
  13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I took yesterday off work to celebrate. :D #litgeek

In other news, I want to thank oleada for recommending No One Here . . . in the old book thread. It sounds really good, especially because I liked The Night Circus so much. Looking forward to finding and reading this one!
  14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Just started reading Shadow of the Wind and even though I'm only 50 pages into it or so, it's already very good. Extremely well written (well, translated in this case since I couldn't read it in Spanish) and interesting storylines. Makes for a very good commute to and from work :rollin:
  15. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Read that last month and it's a great read :)
  16. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

I third this! Zafón's beautiful writing pulled me in and the it became one of my favorite books!
  17. mkats

mkats New Member

I'm reading Elizabeth the Queen by Sally Bedell Smith. It's.... dry. Elizabeth is in her twenties by the twentieth page or so. And it's huge, seems like it was hurried out just in time for the Jubilee celebrations. I've just made it past the birth of Prince Edward and I'm afraid it's going back to the library on Saturday.

It had nice pictures though :shuffle:
  18. Prancer

I'm reading Literary Miscellany: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Literature. The subtitle is accurate if you have only a passing interest in literature and most of that interest is focused on gossip.

I must say, though, that a lot of the anecdotes were new to me (I wasn't a lit major, so they may not be to others). I had no idea, for example, that Louisa May Alcott campaigned to have Huckleberry Finn banned and said such sniffy, prudish things about it. The chapter on authors insulting one another is :eek:. My absolute favorite: [Ulysses is] the work of a queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples." You go, Virginia Woolf!

I've scribbled down a lot of quotes; some of them might stop my queasy undergraduates from scratching their pimples for a moment or two and pay attention. If nothing else, I'll have sig lines for months to come.
  19. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

20. Prancer

I got it free for my Nook. Don't pay too much for it; it's really lightweight--lots of pictures and big fonts.
  21. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Kindle has it for 99 cents. And amazon has used hardcovers for 11 cents. I'll probably order it for kindle.
  22. pair mom

pair mom New Member

It's sitting on the coffee table waiting til I'm back from a winter holiday with my ereader. Currently enjoying Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. But Zafon will be my next "curl up and escape"! So many books, so little time! :D
  23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Sounds like fun!
  24. Artemis@BC

And Kobo has it for $11.79. :eek:
  25. Artemis@BC

I'm re-reading The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis. I enjoyed it very much the first time but hadn't planned on re-reading it, except that now it's my book club's selection for the month. It's a political comedy, very clever, lots of LOL moments -- though I'm not sure if non-Canadians would enjoy it as much. However if you're looking for something along these lines, it's available in audiobook form for free at the author's web site. (The author actually published it first as a podcast before going the print route.)
  26. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I ripped right through Curtis Sittenfeld's Prep today. Very good book and I found it impossible to put down. I remember people in earlier threads calling the main character unlikeable, but I didn't find that - she was certainly frustrating and I didn't always like some of her actions (or in some cases, inactions). But I still liked her, pulled for her to succeed, and understood why she was behaving that way. Perhaps I see little bits of myself in her at times...the way she behaves when her parents come to visit her is so very true to life and I feel like you can see both sides of what happens.

The only thing I really found frustrating was that we found out where various people like Dede, SunJin, etc ended up, but not Lee herself. Or am I just so dense that I completely missed it?
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  27. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I needed a loooooonnng audio book for a weekend drive. The library is low on cassettes so I grabbed "The Fellowship of the Ring" even though I know I've read it before decades ago. Now I'm reminded of why I disliked it: it's tedious enough to listen to and the chapters are endless! But I'm slogging along with it - pretty much along with the Hobbits on their quest - which as quests go, is pretty vague to begin with. I may end up doing the rest of the trilogy for Lent.... :)
  28. rfisher

I've never heard of this book, but the author (Donald Ray Pollock) is giving a reading on campus later this week. The Publisher's Weekly review sounds really good. I'm always caught by something described as soul-numbing. Throw in some religious fanatics and a serial killer or two, and what more could you ask for?

From the campus press release: Mr. Pollock's first novel, "The Devil all the Time" has received high praise as can be seen in the following review from Publishers Weekly.

"If Pollock's powerful collection Knockemstiff was a punch to the jaw, his follow-up, a novel set in the violent soul-numbing towns of southern Ohio and West Virginia, feels closer to a mule's kick, and how he draws these folks and their inevitably hopeless lives without pity is what the kick's all about. Willard Russell is back from the war, on a Greyhound bus passing through Meade, Ohio, in 1945 when he falls for a pretty waitress in a coffee ship. Haunted by what he's seen in the Pacific and by the lovely Charlotte, he finds her again, marries her, and has a son, Arvin. But happiness is elusive, and while Willard teaches his only son some serious survival skills ("You just got to pick the right time," he tells him about getting back at bullies. "They's a lot of no-good sonofabitches out there"), Charlotte sickens, Willard goes mad-sacrificing animals and worse at his altar in the woods-and Arvin's sent to his grandmother Emma in Coal Creek. Emma's also raising Leonora, the daughter of a timid religious mother who was murdered, possibility by her father, Roy, the visiting preacher at the Coal Creek Church of the Holy Ghost Sanctified, who along with his guitar-playing, crippled cousin, Theodore, in a wheelchair after drinking strychnine to prove his love for Jesus, has disappeared. And there's on-the-take sheriff Lee Bodecker, whose sister Sandy and her perverted serial killer husband, Carl Henderson, troll the interstates for male hitchhikers he refers to as "models." Pollock pulls them all together, the pace relentless, and just when it seems like no one can ever catch a break, a good guy does, but not in any predictable way."-Publishers Weekly (starred)
  29. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

Today only you can get Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere for $2.99 on Nook or Kindle. Of course, I already have the tree-book.
    sk8sue and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm going to admit this: I liked the movies more than the books.
    I feel a weight has been lifted.........
  31. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I loved Hotel on the Corner...
    Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  32. Artemis@BC

Confession is good for the soul.
  33. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Me, too. The only book from that series that I actually finished was The Hobbit.
  34. Prancer

I tried to read The Hobbit once, and couldn't get through that, much less the rest.

Then again, I didn't especially like the movies, either. :shuffle: I don't think I've managed to stay awake through The Return of the King yet.

I have decided to stop buying ebooks until I've read a certain percentage of the ones I've already downloaded, so I just read one of my freebies--a very strange book called Their Last Suppers: Legends of History and Their Final Meals. The author is a chef who owns a small inn, where he hosts history weekends that feature foods eaten by various historical figures. The book has a history lesson on each featured person, gives the menu for that person's last meal (or in some cases, a favorite menu if the last meal was boring, like JFKs, or unknown, like Alexander the Great's).

Yes, I know, but it was free and I thought the recipes might be interesting. I might actually try a couple of the recipes, but some of the histories made me :confused:. His version of Princess Diana's life is fangirly to the point of being revisionist (Diana was always faithful to Charles and didn't take up with James Hewitt until two years after her divorce? Really?). And he does like his conspiracy theories.

But anyway, some of the stuff about food was interesting and some of the recipes are worth a shot, but overall--a very strange little book.
  35. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I finished Sarah's Key. I agree with what some of you said in the previous thread - I loved Sarah's part of the story and wanted to skip Julia's. I liked it, but I wish it had just been about Sarah.

If anyone is looking for a fun, light book, try Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer. It's a lovely, mostly unknown book that is kind of like Pride and Prejudice mixed with fantasy.
  36. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

You're not alone. I attempted to read Fellowship of the Ring...and read the first paragraph at least 5 times, and zoned out between each time. That went a long way in making me like C.S Lewis more-sometimes less is more. The Chronicles of Narnia, for example, are very minimalist in detail, but it gives the reader so much room to imagine. I loved that as a kid, and still do now.

Still chugging my way through series A Song of Fire and Ice! Finally on the third book; if school wasn't such a nuisance (lol) I'd be done already. But at this pace, I won't finish the 5th book until George R.R. Martin publishes the 6th one, so maybe I should be thankful for schoolwork haha!
  37. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh.

I'm trying to not start any new series that are finished being published (though I expect to fail :D) but I have this one in my goodreads queue.
  38. rfisher

I've listened to the LOTR trilogy at least 10 times. :rofl: Except for the sojourn with Bombadill, I love the books.
  39. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I could only get through a few pages of The Hobbit. And have never been able to watch any of the movies.
  40. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

So far, the sojourn with Bombadill is the only part I liked (although the deal with Goldberry creeps me out a little).

Way back in my brief career teaching Jr. High English, I had to teach "The Hobbit". All but two kids in the class hated it - and so did I.

I haven't seen the LOTR movies. But I can understand how seeing the saga would be better than reading Every. Tiny. Detail.

As antidote, I picked up Jo Beverly's latest Malloren tale "A Scandalous Countess" at the grocery store last night. Frothy dreck should go well on a chilly winter's night. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.