Letter to homeowner who didn't hand out candy on Halloween

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Mozart, Nov 6, 2011.

1. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I think it's a joke. May well have been written by a friend/neighbor.

2. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Or maybe the homeowner himself. Great way to paint children as selfish, entitled brats since in his response, he obviously has a problem with children.

3. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I sometimes volunteer in my friend's grade five and six class. Some of those kids are smarter than teenagers that are in grade twelve. So I know that kids like those on "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?" exist. Actually, there have been kids in his class who would have written a much better letter than that one! :D

4. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Regardless of whether those letters were actually written by kids and a neighbor or not, there are still plenty of kids who have an entitled attitude towards Halloween. I still love Halloween, but working at the mall this past Monday made me love it a little less. 6 year olds shouldn't be swearing with such expertise, it's just wrong...

5. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

My next door neighbor didn't had out candy, instead she sat at the end of the driveway and handed out little booklets explaining why you go straight to hell for trick or treating. Trick or treat is on a Saturday afternoon here.

6. VIETgrlTerifa

I guess they're just mirroring the attitudes of many adults I've come across.

7. KCC

KCC Active Member

Our neighborhood hosted a "trick or trunk" event on Saturday night, complete with a pot luck dinner and bonfire for the adults. It was a nice event for the community. I bought full sized candy bars from Costco and the neighborhood kids were delighted. The odd thing was that I still had a few trick-or-treaters on Halloween night. Evidently they were from a different neighborhood because they did not know we had our community celebration two nights days before. I was one of the only houses with some leftover candy to give out on Halloween. And normally, everyone here keeps their outdoor lights off (my house was completely dark, since I did not expect any visitors).

8. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I know lots of kids who could write a better letter than that, too, without any mechanical errors at all.

But not one of them would refer to you as "a mister."

The problem with the note is not that it is too well-written to be written by kids.

9. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

So the homeowner wrote the original letter to himself and then replied? That seems a bit pointless. :lol:

10. VIETgrlTerifa

Maybe so he could post it online to make some sort of point. I agree that it is pointless.

11. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

Back when I was a kid, if homeowners didn't hand out candy we'd just return later and TP their houses. The laziness of kids today! ;)

12. VIETgrlTerifa

You were so entitled! :p

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Back in the day, I had a friend whose family was still new to the country and did not understand halloween. They would open the door whenever it was knocked and tell the kids they had no candy, but they will hand it out next year. One kid threw firecrackers inside their house!

Ah, the good old days. A letter seems a lot more civil. Although, I wish those kids would direct their attention to those who hand out raisins.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.