Letter to homeowner who didn't hand out candy on Halloween

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Mozart, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  2. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

:cheer2: Yay, homeowner! :cheer2:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:rofl:

4. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

Ugh and I'm sure the parents of those children approved of that letter to begin with.

This also reminds me of Jimmy Kimmel's challenge to parents to trick their kids by telling them that all their candy was eaten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQpbzQ6gzs

The last two and the one cutie are the ones whom this man probably won't have to weep for. :lol:

5. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I want to meet these "children of the hood" who, among other things, use the word "rectify" with such ease.

:rolleyes:

I weep, but not for the future.

6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I'd say he should weep for the English skills of the future except his note's not much better.

Whatever happened to teaching your kids "Porch light on, you knock, porch light off, they're not handing out candy?" It was just assumed that not EVERYONE in the neighborhood was giving out candy, and if they ran out turning out the light meant not to knock. When did it become mandatory to give out candy? It wasn't even typical to 'prank' houses that didn't give candy, let alone send extortion notes with suggestions for what to give next year (or to bring candy by to apologize!)

I hope (but have no more confidence than he appears to) that the parents don't know about this note and would be deeply ashamed of their kid.

7. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I doubt kids had anything at all to do with the first note.

Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  8. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Love the owners response. The owner could have been sick, or out of town or could not afford the candy.
    What a bunch of bratty kids/parents.

9. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

It's the English skills that make me sure that that note was not written by children, but rather by someone trying to sound like a child.

But hey, if it turns out that some kids did write that note, they would be welcome to take my class any time. They apparently know the difference between "your" and "you're," they correctly punctuated a possessive and they know the difference between "its" and it's." It's a miracle! I especially like the use of the comma after the introductory "If you feel bad" clause.

I have freshmen in college who can't do any of the above, much less whip out the word "rectify" and use it in the same document as an adult phrase like "Come to think of it." If this is how the kids coming up through the schools write now, I can't wait for the future.

TygerLily and (deleted member) like this.
  10. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

It's possible these were older kids, teenagers, and the note was a bit tongue in cheek. I can picture a group of 14 year olds LTAO writing it ;)

11. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I could see a kid writing that (if anything there are a few too many commas and stilted phrasing) but if we're going to suspect an adult, the part that seems odd is using a rather archaic spelling of "Hallo'ween". I just read a bunch of essays for a contest from 7-11th graders and most can handle it's/its better than a lot of twentysomethings these days. (And no, per the rules, no one checked the essays over.) The stilted way this read sounds like a kid trying to sound formal, but then I just had to sift through a lot of middle-school prose, so it may just be stuck in my head.

Or an adult taking dictation/making suggestions? In a really misguided attempt to teach a kid how to deal with complaints? IOW, "We didn't get ANYTHING from Miss Toby's old house and we used to get candy apples!" "Well, if you want to tell the new person how you feel, you should write him a letter."

And of course besides parents or kids, there's also "teens pranking", or whoever posted both notes is just making it up.

12. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Gotta love homeowner's answer! :respec:

13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: at the last 2 kids. I love the older brother trying to help little brother add 2 + 2... :lol:

15. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

Yay homeowner lol I taught my 4&5 yr old this year "If the light is off,they do not have any candy." it was following by a "Oh man!" but they got the idea.lol :)

16. nerdycool

nerdycool Well-Known Member

I know! We didn't hand out candy this year, but we did have a few bags just for us. A few kids rang the doorbell although the light was off. My husband asks if I'm going to get the door. I told him no. I don't reward kids who don't follow the rules of Halloween. He just shook his head.

But anyway, yay homeowner! Love the response!

17. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

If I received a litter like that, it would make me smile and give me a good laugh! :lol: I would probably keep it, too...

18. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

:scream:Good for those plucky homeowners. Those kids...and I betcha their parents...need to learn a few lessons in courtesy. No one is obligated to provide treats on Halloween. Imagine if that had been the home of some poor family who had just lost their child. Even when I was a kid I remember houses with their lights out....we just skipped that one. No fuss necessary. if my grand children ever wrote a note that was that obnoxious, and that poorly written....well they would spend every halloween at the local children's hospital helping out....and the rest of the year learning to read and write English.

19. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Good for the homeowner!

If I were the homeowner, I wouldn't give out candy next year either.

20. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Kudos to the homeowner! :D The nerve of those kids with their sense of entitlement! :rolleyes:

21. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Only in America!

22. floskate

floskate Vacant

Except it was in Canada ;)

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  23. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Which is why I can totally see teenagers here doing that and having a laugh over it. Of course one always must allow for the fact it is a group of entitled brats but I've seen the sort of humour from teens that might do something like and can picture them giggling over the inclusion of the word rectify.

24. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Oh no, it happens in America. Many parents here bring their kids to the mall to take them trick or treating on Halloween, so stores have to sign up in advance to give out candy. We did not sign up, and clearly there was no one at the front handing out candy, but these exchanges still happened:

(I'm at the front of the store, setting up holiday gift sets n such)
    Man who sticks his head in the door: CANDY?!!?!?!? (I am not kidding.)
    Me: No candy, sorry!
    Man: Whaddya mean you got no f****n' CANDY?!?!?!?! (still not kidding.)
    Me: (ignoring)

And oh, it gets worse!! Later on that night, a small 6-7 year old girl walked in, dressed as a princess. She was deceptively cute.

Girl: TRICK OR TREAT!!!
    Me: Oh I am sorry, we don't have any candy...
    Girl (as she's walking out the door): That's BULLSH*T!!!!
    Me: .........what?!?

I did not see her parents around, but if I had ever done anything like that at that age, I have no doubt my mother's supersonic hearing would've picked it up and I would've been flayed alive. In conclusion, I want to travel to Canada to hang out with this homeowner, and maybe help him eat that candy on his porch while the kids watch.

25. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

IMO there's no way that either letter was legit. They were probably written by the same person. It's called humor.

26. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

A couple years ago, I was sitting in the doorway looking through the storm door with the porch light on holding candy bars in my hand and some kids just walked right by down the sidewalk. Some of the ones who did come to the door acted like it was such a chore to walk all the way up the driveway. (The lady across the street sat at the bottom of her driveway with a table and a bowl of candy.)

Then last year I did not give out candy and right about the time the first trick or treaters were out there, someone came to the door (no porch light on), rang the bell, pounded on the door and tried to yank open the locked storm door. I wanted to run out and smack them.

No more candy is leaving this house, kids.

27. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I forgot another one (at my previous house) we were coming home from being away for my birthday weekend right at trick or treat time. We were carrying in suitcases and my pillow and a cooler and stuff and a kid (with a father standing on the sidwalk) walked past me and rang the doorbell. "Oh, yeah, kid, let me run down to the store and buy some candy for you before we unpack." Geez Louise. I used to love Halloween.

28. Jojo

Jojo Active Member

Fake or not, that homeowner's response made me laugh.

We didn't give out candy this year, and I feel badly about that. We turned off all of our lights, and went downstairs to spend the evening. Why? I have a neurotic dog who barks like crazy at people ringing the doorbell. He would have been catatonic by the end of the evening, and he would have scared the poor kidlets who came to the door.

Oh, and I didn't have to buy candy and eat all that was left over.

So it was a good thing all around. :p

29. bek

bek Guest

Talk about entitled little kids. As a child I was not allowed to celebrate Halloween because my mom had religious issues with it. I actually disagreed and I do feel like I missed out, but I think these kids are quite selfish. And our home once got egged for it.

30. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Meh. I was unimpressed with the homeowner's response. I don't really believe kids wrote that first letter either.