Let's Talk Movies v.20! (Period Dramas, Skating Movies, Underrated Films...& More!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 29, 2012.

?

Which Of These Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. Sep. 14th - Resident Evil: Retribution (Sci-Fi adventure with Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez)

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. Sep. 21st - The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Drama with Emma Watson, Dylan McDermott and Paul Rudd)

17 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Sep. 28th – Looper (Sci-Fi action with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt)

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  4. Sep. 28th - Won't Back Down (Drama with Viola Davis, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Holly Hunter)

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  5. Oct. 5th - Pitch Perfect (Musical comedy with Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson and Brittany Snow)

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  6. Oct. 5th - Butter (Comedy with Jennifer Garner, Hugh Jackman and Alicia Silverstone)

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  7. Oct. 26th - Cloud Atlas (Sci-Fi mystery with Tom Hanks, Hugh Grant, Halle Berry and Jim Sturgess)

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  8. Nov. 2nd - Flight (Drama with Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle and Melissa Leo)

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  9. Nov. 9th - Skyfall (Adventure with Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Ralph Fiennes and Javier Bardem)

24 vote(s)
    42.9%
  10. Nov. 16th The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 (Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson)

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  11. Nov. 21st - Life of Pi (Adventure drama with Tobey Maguire and Gérard Depardieu)

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  12. Nov. 21st - Red Dawn (Action with Chris Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson and Jeffrey Dean Morgan)

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Random movie news:

Warner Bros is Now Readying Their 'Justice League' Movie for 2015

Lee Daniels Working on Another Janis Joplin Biopic with Amy Adams

Lady Gaga Getting Into Bad Romance For Zoolander 2?

Ivan Reitman project on hold to focus on Ghostbusters 3

You’d think that people would know to avoid combing the words “Kate Hudson” with “romantic comedy,” but Hollywood never seems to learn from its own mistakes. And somehow they’ve gotten Ewan McGregor involved in it too.

Poor Katie! :wuzrobbed

Tyler Perry to reprise Alex Cross film role

Line-up forms behind me!!! /sarcasm

Halle Barry reacts to finding out she might be a distant relative of Sarah Palin

Movie humour from Entertainment Weekly’s “Hit List”:

:lol:

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I was happy to find some less mainstream movies on offer on the two Air Canada flights I took recently. Specifically:

Jesus Henry Christ -- I picked this one because I adore Toni Collette, and she did not disappoint. But the overall movie is only so-so. Some nice indie moments though and good acting by the kid playing Henry.

Safety Not Guaranteed -- Another one that "feels indie," in a good way. I'd seen a trailer for this a while back but hadn't been able to track it down, so was happy to have a chance to see it. Not a lot of variance from Aubrey Plaza from her Parks & Rec character, but still very enjoyable.

And since I knew the hotel we were staying had DVD players in the rooms I brought some discs with me and finally manage to catch up with:

The Savages -- I know, I know, I should have watched this 2 years ago when everyone else was, but sometimes delayed satisfaction is a good thing. Probably would not have loved it as much if it hadn't had Linney and Hoffman though, they're really the reasons to watch this.

The Ten -- Quirkly little film of 10 interrelated stories, each one having to do with the 10 Commandments. Only about 6 of them were successful imo, and I could have done without Paul Rudd doing his same old same ol ... but the bits that did work worked well.

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen -- Highly predictable, but also highly enjoyable in a light-hearted, feel-good kind of way. Mind you, I'm predisposed to like anything with Ewan McGreggor in.

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Holy jackpot this week! Six amazing movies that I can't wait to see (the ones in bold print). :cheer2: :cheer:

Oct-22 The Citizen (Drama with new cast and Cary Elwes)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVHFNQlkggo

Oct-26 The Other Son aka Le fils de l'autre (Drama. From imdb.com: “Two young men, one Israeli and one Palestinian, discover they were accidentally switched at birth.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Xk7_Jk0TA

Oct-26 The Loneliest Planet (Thriller with Gael García Bernal)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIIMFHcC1Fc

Oct-26 Sleep Tight (Thriller from Spain)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-cF3TcZ6fA

Oct-26 Orchestra of Exiles (Documentary about Polish violinist Bronislaw Huberman, whose efforts saved hundreds of Jewish families and whose achievements changed the landscape of cultural history.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX5_2NERXVw

Oct-26 Pusher (A British crime thriller that informs us that drugs are bad. Who knew??)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTxtPEAa1Ac

Oct-26 The Black Tulip (Family drama. From imdb.com: “The Mansouri family opens up a new restaurant after the fall of the Taliban in Kabul, Afghanistan only to be subsequently targeted by factional Taliban elements.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApfLMPvOcdc

Oct-26 Citadel (Horror/thriller from Ireland)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mfDiYIY6E

Oct-26 Starlet (Drama. From imdb.com: “An unlikely friendship forms between 21 year-old Jane and the elderly Sadie after Jane discovers a hidden stash of money inside an object at Sadie's yard sale.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUSNZGYIfD4

Oct-7 The Revisionaries (Education documentary. From imdb.com: “The theory of evolution and a re-write of American history are caught in the crosshairs when an unabashed Creationist seeks re-election as chairman of America's most influential Board of Education.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoeMm0Tm95M

Oct-25 Birdemic: Shock and Terror (“Horror romantic thriller)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE5dJDgZ644

The last movie is in red because it's to be avoided...but the trailer isn't. Watch it and let me know if you think this might be the worst movie ever made. Well, other than that anti-Muslim piece of crap masquerading as a film! :lol:

On the flip side, I am demanding that you all watch the trailer for Starlet. I can't wait to see this one. Now, have I ever demanded that you watch a trailer? Please everyone, watch it now and post what you think about it. Then let's plan a movie night and all go out and see it together!!! :D

The Citizen and The Other Son (and to a slightly lesser extent The Black Tulip) made me think, "It's Oscar time!!" These all look to be really good films. Can't wait to see them as well. The Revisionaries also looks good, I had a TBA date for it and now imdb.com says it was released on the 7th. So it's not a release this week, but the trailer is good and I want to see it!!! Had to share the trailer with the rest of you.

As for the four movies I did not add to my To See list, "Orchestra of Exiles" almost made my list. Guess it got overshadowed by such other quality material coming out at the same time. Sleep Tight looks interesting, but it's the opposite of those trailers that give away too much. I really have such little idea as to what it's about, I don't care about it at all. So it gets a pass. Pusher and Citadel both look stupid. The "drugs are bad" storyline of Pusher is so obvious and overdone. And in Citadel, one character tells the young father of a girl that the feral group of marauding children are only after him because they can sense his fear. No sh**. If a pack of anything comes after me trying to kill me or my child, I'm going to be feeling fear...why wouldn't?? :rolleyes:

Luckily there's six great movies being released this week for us to not care about the two (three) crappy movies. Which of the good ones do you want to see?

4. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

peter, pick me up and we can go see starlet. i'll get the popcorn and soda.

5. Artemis@BC

Wow. That was just ... indescribable.

Hard to imagine that that level of badness wasn't deliberate , so it's pretty hard to judge whether or not that actually works in the context of the whole film. If nothing else it looks like something to watch while drunk. Or high.

6. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I have not seen The Perks of Being a Wallflower yet. My question is for those who have and might remember the John Hughes films of the 80's. Do you think this film resonates with teens/ 20-somethings the way JH films did with us?

7. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Saw Argo and loved it. Lots of great actors in small roles. if you see it, stay for all the credits!

In my movie preview club we saw 'The Sessions'. It was great. The preview is not a good representation of the movie. It is very tasteful movie about love and intimacy. John Hawkes is amazing - good shot at an oscar nom. This is the same guy from Winter's Bone and Martha Marcy Marlene - quite an acting range.

8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:D It's a date!

I heard it compared to The Breakfast Club. I thought it was on a TV ad, but maybe it was elsehwere?

I saw it with friends and we quite liked it. The pace of the ending was standard Hollywood-ization (to the nth degree, to say the least). That was a bit overboard, but everything about the movie was really well done. I told an online friend about going to see the movie and I said that my friends took me out to celebrate my birthday and we had chinese food for lunch and Ben Affleck for dessert. :lol:

9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

On my list to see:

1.Lincoln
    2.Argo
    3.Cloud Atlas
    4.Looper

Not sure yet if I want to see 'The sessions'.

10. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Movies I've seen the last few weeks:

9/10 A Better Life – You might remember this for receiving an Academy Award nomination for Demián Bichir in the best actor category. It’s a wonderful drama about a man and his son trying to make it as a Mexican immigrant and his U.S. born son in California. It’s a somewhat quiet, subdued film, but very enjoyable. You know you have a quality film when nothing seemingly major is occurring, yet you enjoy watching every second of what is unfolding on the screen in front of you. Bichir definitely deserved his Oscar nod...he is incredible.

9/10 Survivors – Okay, so this one wasn’t a movie, but a two-season mini-series. But I loooooved it, so I wanted to mention it so that others might seek it out. This came out in 2008 (and 2010 for the second season) and it was a remake of a British series from the 70’s. A virus breaks out killing most of the population and a group of people come together and form a sort of family...while surviving many adventures along the way.

8/10 Another Earth – Very different, fairly moody and as well as thought-provoking. I was surprised to find that this was written by the female star (Brit Marling) who is still in her 20’s and has already written four films (most of which she has starred in). Wow! This movie is a quieter film, a sci-fi movie, but really a drama. One to watch when you’ve had too many (over-) action-packed movies in your DVD player.

6/10 J. Edgar – A very well made film, it looks perfect. But I just didn’t get into it much. Watched it in three of four sittings over a week or two. I made it to the end eventually… :lol:

5/10 The Rebound – I think I enjoyed this more than J. Edgar, so I probably should have the ratings reversed. This one was a nice enough romantic comedy and I enjoyed everyone in the cast. But it’s just kind of simple and some of the plot points did not make sense to me (especially towards the end). One to watch on a rainy day with some yummy snacks to fill in the plot holes. :D

4/10 Melancholia – I kind of liked this, but more than liking it I’ve finally given up on giving Lars Von Trier the benefit of the doubt and now pretty much believe he should really up his number of therapy sessions per week. He started off being such a challenging and thought-provoking filmmaker and now his work just seems to make him look too off-balance to remain behind the camera. A troubled man who seems to be using his filmmaking as his therapy... :(

11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I want to see 'A better life'.

'J.Edgar' was boring even in the theater. Had I watched it at home, I would have never gotten through it.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I had no idea going into J. Edgar that I was actually going to see a gay love story/tragedy. I have nothing against gay love stories, of course, but it kind of surprised me that that seemed to be the main focus of the movie when whether or not J. Edgar was even gay to begin with is still a point of debate.

13. Artemis@BC

I've been plugging this one on various TV threads for a couple of years now. This is how a post-apocalyptic story should be done! Such great acting (doesn't hurt that it stars some of my favourites: Julie Graham, Paterson Joseph, and Max Beesley), great writing, and believability about the various ways humanity would actually react to such events. (I keep hoping the original version will be released on DVD sometime -- from what I can remember of watching it when I was 10, it too was excellent.)

Another favourite of mine. I wouldn't even call it sci-fi: it's more just an intense human drama that has a "what if" storyline that happens to be somewhat beyond our current existance. I've since seen another of her movies, Sound of My Voice -- not quite as well made but still thought-provoking, and different from so much of what's out there.

I think 6/10 might be a bit generous for this. Di Caprio is his usual great self, but that is not nearly enough to sell a movie that doesn't know what it wants to be about. Very similar to The Iron Lady in that regard.

14. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I didn't even find DiCaprio all the amazing in this movie; other than than scenic and costume design I found the movie a complete dud. At least "Iron Lady" was anchored by two amazing performers in Streep and Broadbent.

michiruwater, I disagree that "J Edgar" was a gay love story/tragedy... at least in its completed form. :p Perhaps that was the original intent of the screenplay, but somewhere in production it was made more discreet, palatable and sanitized for general audience consumption.

15. Artemis@BC

My weekend viewing, working my way through a backlog of library DVD holds:

Bernie: A very low-key dark comedy based on a true story (I actually had no idea about that until the end, I thought it was a mockumentary!). This one is worth watching just for Jack Black. He's an actor I like when he's more reserved and controlled, but can't stand when he's doing his OTT schtick -- similar to how I feel about Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey. Here he hits just the right note. Shirley MacLaine is good too, but it's same old same ol from her.

The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros: About a 12-year-old gay boy in the Philippines, and his relationships with his petty criminal father and brothers, and with the new police officer in town. Alternately sweet and tragic, it trandscends stereotypes and expectations. I highly recommend this one.

Take This Waltz: A lot of people loved this one, a lot hated it. I'm somewhere in the middle, though leaning more toward the positive side. I love Sarah Polley's visual style, I loved seeing Toronto actually be Toronto, and the acting was universally excellent. Michelle Williams was of course great, she always is, but Sarah Silverman was the real relevation for me: who knew she could be so focussed and wise? But while I appreciate that the intent of the movie was show how all-consuming desire is and the human incapacity to be satisfied with what we have, and the execution of that theme was virtually flawless ... I just found it more frustrating than entertaining. Still worth watching though.

The Pirates! Band of Misfits! If you liked previous Aardman productions, you'll probably like this one too. Not quite as well-conceived as Chicken Run, IMO, but lots of good light-hearted stuff to entertain the child inside. (I'm surprised the Royal Family didn't sue, though, for the film's portrayal of Queen Victoria! :LOL:)

The Fairy: Fans of French magical realism farce may like this. I didn't.

16. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Saw 'Silver Linings Playback' in my preview movie club yesterday and really enjoyed it. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were excellent. Good story about mental illness and great supporting cast (especially the parents).

I saw 'The Words' and Cooper is more than a pretty face and with how young Lawrence it, it will be fun to see her career over the years.

17. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Let me know if you also fall in love (lust) with Bichir. :D

I knew the movie was going to touch on this, but didn't think it would do so to such a great extent. I remember thinking, "didn't Clint Eastwood direct this? the guy who is supporting Mitt Romney???" :confused:

I miss Abby!! :wuzrobbed I just looked up the actress who played her on imdb.com to see if I could get some of her movies. All she's gotten recently is bit parts on miscellaneous TV shows? Really? :soapbox: I miss Aalim, too. And Tom. (Is it wrong for me to miss Tom??) :(

18. Artemis@BC

Another series I can recommend is William and Mary, with Julie Graham and Martin Clunes (playing a role far closer to his real-life character I think and very far removed from Doc Martin!). It's not edgy or dramatic, just a sweet, modern romance that showcases the complexities of blended families in a way you don't often see on TV. I got it from the Burnaby library a couple of years ago; it's old enough that you should be able to get it on inter-library loan.

And no, it's not wrong to miss Tom. :swoon: Another series with Max Beesley you might want to check out is Hotel Babylon -- sort of a modern Upstairs-Downstairs set in a London 5-star hotel. Very soapy, lots of eye-candy, and tons of fun. (I got that one from Burnaby library too.)

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Wow, lots of smaller movies out this week! The ones I'm adding to my To See list are in bold. Some thoughts about the movies after the list. :)

November 1 Free Throw (Sports documentary. From imdb.com: “A documentary that follows eight Compton High School students who were selected to participate in a free-throw competition. The prize? A $40,000 college scholarship.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbBkhDsyVXk

November 2 Amber Alert (Thriller, new cast)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GVEq7qBgcE

November 2 The Bay (Sci-Fi thriller horror with a new cast)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WHs5Auhu1Q

November 2 Bones Brigade: An Autobiography (Documentary. From imdb.com: “When six teenage boys came together as a skateboarding team in the 1980s, they reinvented not only their chosen sport but themselves too - as they evolved from insecure outsiders to the most influential athletes in the field.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIIaJRlr6-Q

November 2 Cafe de flore (French drama with Vanessa Paradis. From imdb.com: “A love story between a man and woman. And between a mother and her son. A mystical and fantastical odyssey on love.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3HAgq7aQOk

November 2 The Details (“Comedy” with Elizabeth Banks, Tobey Maguire, Kerry Washington, Ray Liotta, Sam Trammell and Laura Linney)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBWCyNkMIJQ

November 2 Festival of Lights (Drama with Jimi Mistry and Aidan Quinn)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrt4OVX0wbc

November 2 High Ground (Documentary. From imdb.com: “A documentary that follows a team of veterans returning from combat in Afghanistan and Iraq as they set out to climb a towering Himalayan peak to overcome challenges and heal the mental and emotional ravages of war.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTMyf7QfRk

November 2 Jack and Diane (Horror romance with Juno Temple and Kylie Minogue)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJhgPLf1YXk

November 2 A Liar's Autobiography - The Untrue Story of Monty Python's Graham Chapman (Animated comedy. From imdb.com: “An animated, factually incorrect biography of Graham Arthur Chapman, one of the founding members of the comedy group Monty Python.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbW842eMNtI

November 2 A Mans Story (From imdb.com: “A documentary about fashion designer Ozwald Boateng”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDZvErDAUTc

November 2 Midnight's Children (Drama based on a Salman Rushdie novel. From imdb.com: “A pair of children, born within moments of India gaining independence from Britain, grow up in the country that is nothing like their parent's generation.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXgx6C8PHd4

November 2 Vamps (Romantic comedy horror with Alicia Silverstone, Sigourney Weaver, Krysten Ritter, Scott Thompson, Marilu Henner, Richard Lewis, Malcolm McDowell, Richard Lewis and Kristen Johnston)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I22Lqr9IRKY

November 2 North Sea Texas (Drama with an unknown cast. From imdb.com: “A teenage boy's search for love finds him fixated on the boy next door.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9gINU_VT0Q

I almost put Amber Alert on my list, everything about the trailer (script, directing, cinematography) looks good...except the acting. Which kinda makes a movie, no? The Bay looks really good. I think I saw somewhere that it's made by the people behind Insidious and Paranormal Activity. For The Details I had to put comedy in quotation marks because this one looks so humourless! Doesn't help that Tobey Maguire is in it. Not a Maguire fan here!

If High Ground is your kind of movie, check out the trailer because the cinematography is gorgeous...so beautiful! Jack and Diane almost made my list, but by the end of the trailer I had less of an idea of what the movie is really about, very little that tells us why this one is categorized (at least partially) as a horror movie. Vamps also almost made my list. Maybe if it does well at the box office I will change my mind. But I think it might come and go pretty quickly.

Lastly, two recommendations (based on the trailers anyway). Midnight's Children looks phenomenal, no surprise to me as I adore Indo-Canadian director Deepa Mehta. Doesn't hurt that the story looks incredibly intriguing. And North Sea Texas just made my list. Mainly because as a gay man, it's my duty to see/support gay cinema, but the trailer does pick up in the second half, so it might be quite a good movie. I'm hoping! :) So which of these movies are you boldfacing?

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Midnight's Children looks good! I want to see Lincoln but I fear the movie may not do so well because it opens opposite Skyfall.

21. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I love Elizabeth Banks, but this movie looks so bad I don't think I'm even going to try watching it. And like you said, not a Maguire fan. I get in epic debates with friends of mine because I prefer The Amazing Spider-Man with Andrew Garfield. I honestly don't care if Spider-Man isn't nerdy enough. Andrew Garfield is so much less annoying.

It clicked today that Monday was November 5th. So my annual watching of V for Vendetta will be occuring. I know the movie has nothing to do with the actual spirit of Guy Fawkes Day, or the graphic novel. But it's fun to do. Nice bit of tradition that started with 2 of my best friends and my brother.

As good as Skyfall looks the only movie I really want to see in November is Wreck-It Ralph. It looks awesome!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Artemis@BC

I was skeptical about a movie version of this book ... until I saw that it would be written & directed by Deepa Mehta. Now I am very much looking forward to seeing it.

23. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I want to see Lincoln, but wonder about Sally Field as Mary Todd. If she turns to Eliza Johnson at the cemetary and says she just wants to "hit something...hit something hard", I will just lose it in the theater!

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Everyone likes Sally Field. Everyone really, really likes Sally Field. :)

Skyfall looks good. 94% on RT. I want to see Javier Bardem's character makes some sexy move on Bond.

25. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I got to see a screening of Flight tonight and thought it was a good, entertaining film, with some unfortunately cheesy touches by the director (the music, the ending). Denzel Washington is brilliant in it though in a really great role for him. I think overall it could have been a stronger film if he wasn't directed by Robert Zemeckis who has a tendency to be on the corny side. Denzel Washington really raised the level of the film.

26. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Recent movies screened:

9/10 - Dream House – I really enjoyed this! I wasn’t expecting much as it did not do well at the box office (21 million revenue on a 50 million budget). But I was very much pleasantly surprised at how well this movie was done, kept me wondering throughout where things were going. And it didn’t hurt that Craig is so uber-fit and we get loving shots of him in wondrously tailored clothing as well as a shirtless shot or two. :grope:

7/10 - What’s Your Number? – Good lord, I love Anna Faris. She is so brilliant. She made me think of Judy Holliday in her comedic ability and total immersion in her role. This movie isn’t perfect…but Faris is! As is Chris Evans’ body. Some near-nude shots…somebody PLEASE turn down the heat in here!! :lol:

4/10 – Cowboy – A pretty good ol’ cowboy movie, the first Glenn Ford movie I think I’ve ever seen. Plus Jack Lemmon getting to do something a bit different from most of his roles (or most of the roles I’ve seen him in). But there’s lots of dated stuff in here and the script was lacking in some ways (yet good in others). So inconsistent, but I’d recommend this to anybody who likes the old-time westerns.

4/10 - The Sting – I grabbed this one of the shelf at the library, not remembering if I had ever seen it before. Was really looking forward to watching Newman and Redford on screen together. My one word review for this movie? BORING! I watched this one like “J. Edgar”…over a week or so in three or four sittings. Took a lot of effort to get through this one. “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” is one I haven’t seen since forever…I take it that it is much better than The Sting??

2/10 - Even Money – Kim Basinger, Forest Whitaker, Ray Liotta, Danny Devito, Kelsey Grammer, Tim Roth…what script did you read that made you sign up for this one? Cuz it’s different than what ended up on screen! Maybe they were getting cabin fever and needed to get out of the house and told their agents, “sign me up for anything!” Actually, this isn’t a horrible movie. It’s no poorly made. It’s just that I didn’t care for any of the characters and ended up watching almost the whole thing at double-speed just to get through it…

27. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I'm seeing this ("Silver Linings Playbook') on Thursday and am super excited, as I've heard such good things about it. Many are saying it will be a top Oscar nominee contender.

I'm getting to see "Quartet" with Maggie Smith, Billy Connolly, and Michael Gambon on the 18th at the St. Louis Film Festival; it's gotten great buzz as well.

28. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I saw 'Flight' today. Thought it was very well done. Denzel Washington was outstanding, and I liked the fast pace and action in the movie- things that are normally not that high on my list.

Got to see the 'Lincoln' trailor before 'Flight'. I can't wait to see that movie. I love DDL, Spielberg and history. Could be a best picture Oscar nominee.

29. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Went to see Looper a few days ago. I like the concept of it, and the world, but it still fell flat as I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. :blah: And it seems that the older I get, the more annoyed I am with films (and books, comics, tv shows, etc.) with a large cast where all but one or two of the characters are men, at least when the setting is such that more roles could've been filled by female characters.

30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Hope you are in Canada because from what I've read, that's where Midnight's Children is seeing a release. Not sure if it'll be released in the US...or maybe it will get a later release there. :confused: As for Lincoln vs. Skyfall, Lincoln might do okay as it's kind of counter-programming. Plus if it's a good movie, it will have staying power like Argo has right now. (Not often do movies stay at the top or even go higher up on the box office chart like Argo is doing.)

:lol: I tend to think, how much better would those earlier Spider-Man movies have been if they had cast anyone other than Maguire? Seriously, has he been good in anything? Even The Cider House Rules was a lesser movie because of his presence. I haven't seen Sea Biscuit. Will I eat my words because he was the best thing about this movie??

This is on my list, I found a library that has it and put it on hold. Not sure when I'll get there to pick it up, but I'm looking forward to it! :cheer2: