Let's Talk Movies v.20! (Period Dramas, Skating Movies, Underrated Films...& More!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 29, 2012.

?

Which Of These Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. Sep. 14th - Resident Evil: Retribution (Sci-Fi adventure with Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez)

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. Sep. 21st - The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Drama with Emma Watson, Dylan McDermott and Paul Rudd)

17 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Sep. 28th – Looper (Sci-Fi action with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt)

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  4. Sep. 28th - Won't Back Down (Drama with Viola Davis, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Holly Hunter)

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  5. Oct. 5th - Pitch Perfect (Musical comedy with Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson and Brittany Snow)

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  6. Oct. 5th - Butter (Comedy with Jennifer Garner, Hugh Jackman and Alicia Silverstone)

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  7. Oct. 26th - Cloud Atlas (Sci-Fi mystery with Tom Hanks, Hugh Grant, Halle Berry and Jim Sturgess)

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  8. Nov. 2nd - Flight (Drama with Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle and Melissa Leo)

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  9. Nov. 9th - Skyfall (Adventure with Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Ralph Fiennes and Javier Bardem)

24 vote(s)
    42.9%
  10. Nov. 16th The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 (Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson)

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  11. Nov. 21st - Life of Pi (Adventure drama with Tobey Maguire and Gérard Depardieu)

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  12. Nov. 21st - Red Dawn (Action with Chris Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson and Jeffrey Dean Morgan)

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Can't wait. Opens Xmas Day.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Love Billy Elliot. My favorite part is the very end, the look on his dad's face when he sees the grown-up Billy onstage.

3. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

My favorite thing in the movie is the love the family shows for one another. Once the father saw that Billy had found a way to get out of their situation, he did all he could to make it so.

4. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Yes, to the point of putting aside his own deeply-held beliefs -- i.e. scabbing. One of the most powerful demonstations of family love ever on film.

It's definitely one of my favourite films of all time. The stage version, which I saw in London, was just a tad disappointing for me just because I expected more from the music, considering who wrote it. But it's still the same story, and there are some great moments and stage treatments. I don't think I'll bother seeing the touring version when it comes to Vancouver in a few months though, just because I know the accents will be bad, and that drives me nuts.

5. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Yes, and I think that look on his face at the end reveals his sure realization that all he had sacrificed was worth it. It just makes me tear up every time.

6. Artemis@BC

Meanwhile the Vancouver International Film Festival schedule is finally available. I was away during VIFF last year so am aiming to make up for it this year.

7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

My holds at the library were close to maxing out, so I watched a bunch of movies over the last week or so...

10/10 The Hunger Games – Wow. I looooooved this movie!!! :cheer2: :respec: I liked it right from the opening scenes which seemed dark and still and chilling. Not at all the tone I expected from a movie based on a teen book series phenomenon. Everything about the movie was great, the script, the performances, the costumes and the cinematography. A real bonus for me was the underlying subversive storyline. The rich sitting back and watching youth go into battle where they fight for some “purpose” (on behalf of the rich) - with great odds of dying. Wow, I wasn’t expecting such a fantastic political statement from a movie like this! :cheer: Is part two out yet??

8/10 All About Steve (Sandra Bullock and Bradley Cooper) – So this one got smashed around as one of the worst movies of all time (seemingly), so of course my expectations were low. Not sure how much that worked in its’ favour, but I quite liked this! Sandra had a few moments that made me laugh out loud, not to mention the other moments where she was at her charming best. Bradley Cooper looks aptly great and the ending was quite cool, unlike another movie I will mention in a bit.

7/10 We Bought A Zoo (Matt Damon and Scarlett Johansson) – This one seemed to come and go as far as movie releases go. So I was thinking that it must not have been very good, but I found it to be quite enjoyable. The first half is better than the second half, however. The first half is more of a serious drama and is quite original. But the second half has too many clichés and becomes a bit too silly compared to the realistic beginning. Maggie Elizabeth Jones as Rosie is beyond adorable. And John Michael Higgins is great (hilarious) is his small role.

6/10 Haywire (Gina Carano, Ewan McGregor, Antonio Banderas, Michael Douglas, Channing Tatum and Michael Fassbender) – This kind of seemed like an arthouse version of the Bourne movies. Some action/escape sequences went without the overdone dramatic music…might have even been shown without any musical score at all. Overall, it had a somewhat relaxed pace compared to action movies which wind you up so tight. Not that the movie got boring, it just seemed a bit more realistic than how these types of movies can be so cartoon-y. Gina Carano is quite believable as an action hero. Her days as an American Gladiator and MMA fighter prepared her well.

6/10 Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (Matthew McConaughey and Jennifer Garner) – The first half was much better than the second half, which got bogged down in obvious plot points. Overall, it’s a fairly standard romantic comedy, but the leads are great and there’s some originality in the script (well, at least the first half!) But as the film came to a conclusion, I was thinking, “I wish Garner’s character wouldn’t just fall into McConaughey’s arms at the end, but instead say, ‘why don’t we try being friends for a while and see what happens’.” That’s what I liked better about “All About Steve” in that Bullock’s character was cordial to Cooper’s character, but walked away and had little interest in the man who had not treated her very well. Much better message than in this movie.

5/10 Too Big To Fail (William Hurt, Cynthia Nixon, Topher Grace, James Woods and Paul Giamatti) – I watched this pretty much because it’s about the 2008 banking mess and I figured it would be good for me to have more info about this event. I found the beginning a bit dry and tough to get into, but it picked up steam for the second half. Worth seeing if you like financial crisis movies or all-star-casts movies. ;)

1/10 God Bless America – I saw a trailer for this and thought it looked original. An interesting premise, albeit one with a rather slow start. I liked the movie okay while watching it, but in the days that followed, the more I thought about this movie the more I disliked it and the more I felt less of myself for enjoying it in any way. :(

0/10 Outlaw Trail: The Treasure of Butch Cassidy – I picked this up from the library because there were cute guys on the cover. I probably shouldn’t have rated it or even mentioned it here because after twenty minutes I scanned the rest of the movie in triple time and it looked stupid so I didn’t bother with it. Oh well. :D

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

just finished watching "A Separation"-watched it twice w/subtitles, then watched all the special features, and finally watched it with translated director's comments, which helped explain to me some of the cultural thingies. Anyway, it's a very fine film, and very deserving of its Oscar; I would have gone further and given it the Oscar for best original screenplay too.

It's not a "little" film, even tho that might think that at first. It's BIG--big issues are brought up, and out, and examined, or not. It's extremely thought-provoking-in a "wow this is so univerally applicable" kind of way. I highly recommend it.

I can only give a "only if you are like, soooooooooooooo bored" recommendation to the Twilight Saga series-the last film put me to sleep until I discovered the "Team Edward" button lol, and the 3rd film had the two best lines of ALL the movies (these are NOT films): "Doesn't he have a shirt?" and "Face it, I'm hotter than you.

Then I had a lil mini-Rob Pattinson film fest: "How To Be" (skip it-strike that, run away from it as fast as you can!!) and "The Bad Mother's Handbook" (which I had a lot of trouble 1)understanding, thank you subtitles!, and 2)with the plot memes, but 3)Rob was fine in it, such as his role was). I SWEAR I saw him and Colin Firth in a remake of "The Picture of Dorian Gray" just a minute ago, but I guess not? who DID I see then? haven't a clue............

9. immoimeme

can't-no compatible media/computer format available to me. but if they didn't make Stephen King the preacher in B.Dawn Pt 1 I'd be v v dissapointed.

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw Dredd today and while it was light on plot and meaningful dialogue, it was a lot of fun. But if you do not like a lot of violence in moviies stay FAR away from this one. Liked it a lot however and wouldn't mind a part 2. Dredd got mostly positive reviews from rotten tomatoes.

11. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I haven't been keeping up to date on recent releases, but this past Tuesday (9/18), I was in sheer heaven watching TCM - September 18th was Greta Garbo's birthday (she would have been 107), and the entire day was devoted to some of her best movies.

I was laid up in bed with a virus, and was treated to watching Flesh and the Devil, A Woman of Affairs, Love, Anna Christie, Susan Lenox: Her Fall and Rise, and Queen Christina, plus a wonderful documentary from 2005. I would have pouted about their not airing Ninotchka and Anna Karenina, but both were on in the past two weeks.

12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Not a lot of new stuff coming out this week (as far as smaller films go). That said, I'm quite interested in seeing "Hellbound?" when it comes out on DVD.

Sep 28 Bringing Up Bobby (Comedy drama with Milla Jovovich, Bill Pullman and Marcia Cross)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1MfReTtHew

Sep 30 Hellbound? (Documentary. From imdb.com: “If God is our pure, all-loving creator, can he really turn his back on sinners and allow them to suffer for eternity in hell? Where did this vision of hell come from? Is it possible we've got hell wrong?”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGfY_LyYYUg

Sep 30 The Iran Job (Documentary. From imdb.com: “At the height of international tension between America and Iran, Kevin Sheppard, a charismatic African-American basketball player accepts an offer to play professional basketball in Iran. What begins as a desire to 'explore the unknown' ends in an emotional roller-coaster as he forms an unlikely alliance with three young Iranian women against the backdrop of revolutionary social upheaval in Iran.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCXGKhb_VVQ

13. immoimeme

free redbox film was "Hysteria"--it was cute and funny but I wished it had been more serious and given more historical/cultural background info.

Rob Pattinson mini-film fest continues: "Remember Me" is a sweet, sad, wonderful film; I'm ready for viewing number 4 mainly because I've gotten all hung up on how *sculptural* the camera here is making Rob look. well, and I always like Lena Olin too-she's quite sculptural in her own right :)

Speaking of sculpture, I caught Ken Russell's "Savage Messiah" and highly recommend it if you want a glimpse into the hell that is a very intense life of an very intense artist.

I had never seen a Harold and Kumar movie, so I got the Christmas one and not ashamed to say I enjoyed every single minute of its reeeeeeeally low-(no?)brow humor.

I curently have a funny Romanian film-"Tales of The Golden Age"- and I highly recommend it even if you feel you have zero interest in things Romanian. The stories are quite universal and very fun to watch. :)

14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I had planned on watching the Best exotic Marigold hotel, but I just finished reading the book, and discovered that the movie is completely different from the book (I read the synopsis on IMDB). That's a huge demotivator for me.

I have not seen a movie in ages; it's time to go see one.

15. Artemis@BC

I watched Cabin in the Woods last night. I'm not a fan of horror films in general, or slasher movies in particular ... but this was such a clever twist on the genre. Highly enjoyable. Not that I should be surprised, coming from Joss Whedon.

16. Vash01

Just goes to show how different people have different tastes. I actually walked out of this movie after about one hour and got my ticket cost refunded to me.

17. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

And I had the opposite reaction, I laughed my ass off during that movie! I love it!

18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I agree with you about this movie. It was one of the worse movies I have ever seen.

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I've been checking our library's website every few days to see when this appears in the catalogue. I want to see it NOW!!! (But not enough to pay $$$ for it.... :shuffle:)

20. Artemis@BC

I watched 2 Quebecois films last night. Didn't plan it that way, just how the library holds worked out.

The first was Monsieur Lazhar, which was nominated for a best foreign language Oscar last year. I thought it was good, even very good in places, but not Oscar-worthy. (But then, I felt that way about the winner ... :shuffle:) There are lots of nice moments and images, and some great acting esp. by the kids, but I thought it shied away from or glossed over some of the really important themes. Still worthwhile though, probably 7/10.

The second was Starbuck. I tried to see this at VIFF last year but couldn't -- worth waiting for though. What a delight! Completely unbelievable, but I didn't care a bit. It's a dramedy about a 40-something guy with not much to show for his life who finds out that, due to a colossal clinic screw up and his "remarkably high-quality sperm" :)lol:) he is the biological father of hundreds of 20-somethings. Lots of poignancy mixed with black comedy, and a very French-Canadian feel. (Throughout I couldn't help but think how different the film would have been if it had been made by Hollywood. And not in a good way.) 9/10

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  21. Artemis@BC

Different tasted indeed.

I'm curious, though, what theatre gives a refund just because you didn't like a film. Especially after watching an hour of it. I've never heard of such a thing.

Peter, I got it from the Burnaby library. Doesn't Vancouver have it yet? ETA: just checked online, and VPL has 22 copies with a current queue of 104. But maybe you're not in Vancouver proper ...

22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Eight smaller films coming out this week. Lots of stuff to interest me: two horror movies, Lucy Liu, Gillian Anderson and the dreamy Dermot Mulroney. Yet none of these are going on my To See list. Instead it's the three documentaries (in boldface):

October 05 Sister aka L'enfant d'en haut (drama with French cast and Gillian Anderson)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNpdwBlWmIY

October 05 Someday This Pain Will Be Useful To You (dramatic comedy with Lucy Liu, Peter Gallagher, Marcia Gay Harden and Ellen Burstyn)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R69UoiefXyY

October 05 V/H/S (horror, new cast)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmLh4NUu6E4

October 5 Hold Your Breath (horror, new cast)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiBZWC-SwOw

October 5 The House I Live In (documentary: “From the dealer to the narcotics officer, the inmate to the federal judge, a penetrating look inside America's criminal justice system, revealing the profound human rights implications of U.S. drug policy.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0atL1HSwi8

October 5 Trade of Innocents (dramatic thriller with Dermot Mulroney and Mira Sorvino)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGQAz2EBw9Y

October 5 Escape Fire: The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare (documentary: “An investigative documentary that uncovers the U.S. healthcare system's true design.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sp4Y_DNMYk

October 8 In My Mother's Arms (documentary that follows several children who live and study in the same room of a small rented house in Baghdad. These are forgotten children whose parents have been killed or kidnapped.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT3eseQ9-Qg

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Vash01

It was Harkins Theaters complex here. I know that I am not the only one that walked out of a bad movie and got a refund. At least one other person has done it, to my knowledge. She and her husband had walked out of a bloody movie. May be they do this 'favor' to their customers if it's a horror movie.

I must have looked miserable enough for them to have pity on me. :lol:

24. Vash01

The horror movies don't interest me, but the documentaries sound interesting.

25. Artemis@BC

Watched Angel's Crest last night. Despite the amateurish feel there was some nice stuff in it ... but holy carp is it depressing. I had to watch an episode of Big Bang Theory to recover. :(

26. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I think I have that in my queue but maybe I should remove it. I really haven't been in the mood for depressing lately.

27. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

How many movies do you guys average per month? I don't seem to have the attention span to devote 2 hours to an entire film, LOL. The last film I paid for saw a film was "The Avengers" and the one prior to that was "Thor".

28. Artemis@BC

In the theatres, it's more like a per year average than a per month. Maybe 4-5 a year*. (*That's not counting special events -- like theatre or opera or concerts that are broadcast at the movie theatre, or film festivals.)

But on DVD? Probably 3-4 a week. :watch: The cost is part of it, but in general it's because I prefer the comfort of watching a film in my own home, with my feet up, a cat on my lap, snacks I don't have to mortgage the house to buy, and a beer or glass or wine.

Plus if the movie is subtitled, I need to be able to rewind to catch what I miss between reading the text and what's happening on the rest of the screen.

29. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Have you already talked elsewhere on this thread about Beasts of the Southern Wild. It was denied nominations at the SAG Awards because Quvenzhane Wallis, as Hushpuppy, and Dwight Henry, as Wink, are amateur actors, who are denied any chance of winning the SAGs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012...wild-screen-actors-guild-awards?newsfeed=true

People are hoping that at least six year old Quvenzhane will be nominated and/or win an Oscar, and I believe that she is that good, she gave a stunning performance. The movie, filmed on a $1 million budget, holds its own tremendously.

Robot and Frank, starring Frank Langella, was a little zany, but entertaining.

30. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.