Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Sep 5, 2011.

?

New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

1. Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  7. Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  10. Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  11. Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  12. Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

LOL! Glad I never saw that movie if it was that bad! :p

2. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

It was brutal. Even worse considering I ended up seeing it twice in one day. It's worse when you're a fan of the comics. It pretty much butchered the whole thing.

3. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Love that movie. Beautiful music, too--Stella by Starlight.

4. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

In Entertainment Weekly, it says that Jeff Goldsmith is adapting the script, but it's based on a novel by Harry Harrison. Wikipedia says of the original novel...

This sounds very different from the short blurb in EW in that Harmon, not McCulloch is the hero. Whew. Still a gross idea for a story, though...

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

^^^Maybe they can make something decent out of it? Nahhhh.

6. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Watched one of my favorite old movies this weekend...Portrait Of Jennie. Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten! Once you buy into the premise of the film, it is a haunting film.

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, Jennifer....acting lessons from Our Lady of The Fluttery Mannerisms, but cheekbones that could cut glass :glamor:.

8. ice dance

ice dance Member

Saw the remake of Footloose a couple of days ago. Loved it! It is pretty much a scene-by-scene remake of the original.

9. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Saw a bunch of stuff--all low-brow :saint:

Memoirs of a Geisha was interesting. Better in some respects than I thought, but worse in others. Was visually appealing though.

Watched Charley. That was way worse than I remember. I was terribly disappointed.

Saw The Exorcist. That was better than I remembered. I've found rewatching old movies, they often aren't that great compared to movies today :shuffle:. The Exorcist IMO was one of the few that was still good however many years later.

Watched a bunch of sci-fi flicks. The Core was panned, but I liked it well enough. Obviously unrealistic in terms of being able to travel to the core of the earth and back in a ship that could withstand 9,000 degree temperatures, but it still worked for me.

District 9 was very different than I expected. It's an alien movie shot in South Africa where aliens simply become the latest immigrant group, and are systematically discriminated against in apartheid fashion. The movie is shot like a documentary with a lot of hand-held camera work, so it has a Cloverfield feel to it. It's not an adrenaline rush kind of movie, but it does make you think. If you compare it to The Fly, it's interesting that the lead character loses his humanity as he transforms into another species in The Fly, while in District 9 he gains his humanity. Again, it's rather dispassionate (like Contagion), but tries to examine what having aliens would look like realistically if they were to become part of the earth's population.

Battle: Los Angeles also got mixed reviews, but I quite liked it. Here the aliens are clearly hostile, but like District 9, the movie tries to show how a battle with aliens would look like with today's technology. So the action scenes aren't other worldly or one big CGI-fest. I thought the military unit followed throughout was compelling without being overly sentimental. It is definitely a military movie though (sans gore), so if you don't like seeing military patriotism in the course of battle, this may not be for you. Overall, I don't really get the negative reviews for this movie.

Saw Running Man again. Was disappointing (not as good as I remembered).

Oh yeah, and I saw Babylon 5 sequel. Very low budget. Bit disappointing, but reminiscent of the old Twilight Zone series that were big on dialogue and plot twists arising out of that. Since it touched on theological questions, it was okay. But I suspect for others it would be rather boring.

Not that there are many Babylon 5 fans to begin with :shuffle:

10. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I saw a part of a movie about gymnastics, with Jeff Bridges as the coach. The girls rebel against the (unfair) judges and get 0.0's intentionally. Does anyone know the title of the movie? I would like to rent it.

11. ice dance

ice dance Member

Stick It.

12. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Hey!!!! Vash was just asking a question! No need for that! LOL j/k (couldn't resist)

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Horror movie fans... Ever seen a movie where someone's cell phone did not work? This montage is both brilliant and hilarious!!! :lol:

I go through the TV Guide to see which old movies I might want to watch. Then check out their trailer on youtube...and those original trailers are often. I've passed on watching so many "classics" because the old trailers make them look awful. Wonder why the movie studios don't make new trailers, it would be pretty simple to do...

14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Watched "Vanishing On 7th Street" and while it was not as bad as I feared given how fast it reach PPV, it could have been better. They never explained how the whole thing got started and neither exactly what was the "terror" that had them all disappearing. The ending was also fearly predictable conisdering the tone of the movie, but still not a total wash out.

15. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I always avoid horror movies. October is the worst month for movies, for people like me.

16. ice dance

ice dance Member

Lol! ;)

17. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

The Exorcist is one of the few movies that, almost 40 years later, still scares the bejeezus out of me. Whenever I've rewatched it, I've had to leave a hall or bathroom light on that night when I went to sleep :shuffle: :lol:.

The sequels and prequel to it were, unfortunately, awful (much like the movies related to Silence of the Lambs and Jaws).

Speaking of, Jaws is another one I find that still holds up after all these years - ever since seeing it back in the 70s, I've been squeamish about going swimming in the ocean. That's a big improvement over how paranoid I was after the first time I saw it - I fought my mother tooth and nail about taking a bath for about a week because I was convinced a Great White shark was going to come out of the spigot :rofl: (ridiculous, I know, but the imagination of an 8 year old can be rather vivid)….

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  18. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

When I was young I would have trouble sleeping after watching Jaws. Why? I was sure a shark could come get me, even in my house well inland from the beach. I was even afraid to get down from my bed because I thought one might be waiting under my bed. :lol:

19. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

knock-knock-knock: LAND SHARK!!!!

Ancient silliness from SNL. :lol:

Kruss and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Depends on the genre. Today's sci-fi is generally (not always, but generally) better done because the special effects are so much better. But 99 times out of 100, yesterday's rom-coms are better. Especially the heroines.

21. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Candygram

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:rofl:

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  23. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

The Heiress was on TCM this morning. Started watching it while getting ready for work. It made me a little late for work.

24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Today's scifi is leagues beyond what was made back in the 50's. I prefer the remake of The Blob to the original - for real. But when it comes to melodramas and the like, I prefer some of the older movies.

25. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Some of the old Sci-fi movies become unintentionally comical due to increades technology. Classics, like Forbidden Planet, still manage to hold up well.
    It's like any category that becomes popular, for every good movie that comes out, dozens of bad copycats are released to muddy the water.

26. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I love movies like that. Another one for me was Event Horizon, at least the first few times I saw it.

27. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:respec:

Last night, the original Carrie was on, and I watched it - twice (thanks, insomnia!! :rolleyes: ) after having not seen since I was in high school. The book is probably my favorite one of Stephen King's in the Horror genre, and I forgot just how damn good a job Brian DePalma (director), Sissy Spacek, and Piper Laurie (oh hell, the entire cast) did with such a small budget and the crappy SFX of the mid-70's. DePalma did a great job of taking the ideas, imagery, and imagination of the book and conveying them on the screen.

While it's classified as a horror movie, it's so much more, specifically a Greek Tragedy, complete with the Tragic Hero, that takes the Cinderella/Ugly Duckling Fairy Tales and turns them into an ill-fated tale of misunderstanding and vengeance.

I'll take the likes of this over Paranormal State(s), the Saw movies, and all of the other complete crap that passes for the Horror movies churned out by Hollywood any day of the week.

Now, if only Rosemary's Baby is on TV some time in the next couple of weeks…..

ETA: This morning I watched Some Like It Hot on TCM - that movie never gets old for me, and while I was getting MiniCyn ready for Homecoming, The Goodbye Girl, which I hadn't seen in decades, was on TCM as well - I didn't realize how good that movie was (of course, when I saw it in the theatre, I was all of 10 and didn't "get" half of what it was about :eek:….nice to see it from an adult POV).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

^^Carrie rocked. The only film adaptation of one of King's novels that I liked. The original, not the wretched TV remake.

29. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:eek: You didn't like The Green Mile? It's not a horror movie, but it is one of my absolute favorite adaptations of Stephen King's work (though it was originally a serial novel before being published as a complete, individual one) and one of my all-time favorite movies (as well as Tom Hank's performances).

Even though it was a novella, I also really like Stand By Me.

As for the remake of Carrie, I didn't even bother. It is supposed to be truer to the book except for (spoilered in case there is anyone here who hasn't read the book, seen the movie(s), or knows the pop culture lore what happens)
    the ridonkulous ending in which Carrie survived - I read that they changed the ending as there was a pilot for a TV series based on her/her abilities being bandied about that was thankfully never picked up.

I also never bothered with Carrie II: The Rage as I thought another movie based on a "Carrie-like" character similar to the original was stupid and a complete rip-off of the true, one book.

30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Cyn. I forgot how much I love The Shawshank Redemption...one of my favorite movies evah....haven't seen TGM, so I can't say. But I hated Christine, Maximum Overdrive, Silver Bullet and was not too fond of either version of The Shining. The Stand wasn't too bad, but it was not memorable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.