Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Sep 5, 2011.

New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

1. Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  7. Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  10. Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  11. Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  12. Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I saw Straw Dogs a week ago. I liked it ok, but just about all the characters were annoying. I saw Columbiana yesterday afternoon, and I was the only one in this huge theater, because it has been out a while. I liked it pretty well, although the main character played by Zoe Saldana wasn't that likeable. The movie overall was entertaining though. Certain aspects were so over the top that it was hard to suspend disbelief, but I'd recommend it for a dvd viewing. :)

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I think that Zoe Saldana is so beautiful...I'd watch her in anything.

3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I re-watched Topsy-Turvy over the weekend (I'm on a bit of a G&S bender right now). Aside from reiterating my previous conviction of what a fabulous movie it is ('tho perhaps a tad long), how amazing Timothy Spall and Shirley Henderson are, and what a unique film voice Mike Leigh has ... I was also :swoon: to see Kevin McKidd! I guess when I last saw the movie it was before his appearance on Grey's Anatomy, so I'd never made the connection and completely forgotten he was in Topsy-Turvy. A very far cry indeed from his über-macho Owen Hunt. (Oh, and am I the only one thinking Grey's Anatomy would be about 1000 >>> if McKidd were allowed to use his Scottish accent?)

4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

We saw Moneyball last night. I loved it. And my non-sports fan husband enjoyed it just as much.

5. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Movies I've watched over the last week or so (from most to least enjoyable):

The Hitcher (Sean Bean, Neal McDonough) - Okay, this was one of those Hollywood horror moves with a million plot holes, but it was FUN! Plus Sean Bean looks great, although I think I'd prefer him a little more cleaned up. :D

I Am Number Four (Alex Pettyfer, Dianna Agron from Glee and Timothy Olyphant) - Much better than I expected, few cliches and Pettyfer is a way better actor than I thought he would be. He has the potential to be one of the leading actors of his generation, which is really unfair as he is so stunningly beautiful. But I'll stick with Mr. Olyphant, thank you very much. What a cute couple these two would make! :lol:

Black Sheep - Australian horror comedy -Another silly movie, but silly FUN! What happens when you try to genetically change/control sheep? THEY FIGHT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :rofl:

Biutiful (Javier Barden) - Incredibly well made movie, but lord was it depressing. You need to psychologically prepare yourself to make it through this one... :(

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks but I will skip Biutiful. Real life is depressing enough. LOL And I concur on I Am Number Four. :respec:

7. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

What a wonderful story! I can't even begin to imagine what it would have been like to meet any of the Legends of the Silver Screen from Hollywood's Golden Age. I've obviously not met any of them, but if the following celebrities fall into that category, my parents did, in a way. We are related to Roy Rogers on my mother's side of the family, and she and my Dad not only met Roy and Dale back in the mid-60s (while spending two weeks visiting other relatives in California), they spent a few hours hanging out and chatting with them at their home.

I absolutely do not understand the appeal of Taylor Lautner and why the tweens/teens go bugfcuk gonzo over him. IMO he's not what I would consider to be hunky heartthrob material (I think he has the male equivalent of a Butterface :eek: ), and from the little I've seen of him on film, he can't act his way out of a paper bag.

The previews for Abduction looked absolutely atrocious, and after reading the comments here about it, it's not one that we will paying any money to see, even once it hits Red Box.

I don't go to movies in the theatre very often, but 50/50 has piqued my interest enough that it's one I'll consider shelling out the bucks to see on the big screen.

I've read WOW and WAR several times as they're two of my favorite books, but I've never seen either miniseries. The books were so wonderful, not just as reading material, but also with how I pictured the characters in my mind, so although I've been tempted to watch them in the past few years, I'm fairly sure that the actors and screenplay will not come close to the "vision" I have of both books in my mind, and I don't want to be disappointed.

8. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Saw Ides Of March last night. Very good movie!

9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I too loved it. I thought that people that are not interested in sports would not enjoy it much. I guess I was wrong.

I see Moneyball this year being what Social Network was last year, although they had totally different storylines. Should be nominated for best picture. Brad Pitt may get the best lead actor nomination for this, but my nod for him (not the picture) would be his 'Tree of life' role. He was quietly threatening and loving at the same time, in it. That's tough to portray.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  10. Nan

Nan Just me

Did you ever see the original? How did it compare?

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'll say that Robert Mitchum was too old for his role as Pug Henry. He always seemed like he was looking for the oxygen tank. And I was glad they replaced Ali McGraw (who also was age-inappropriate IMO - Natalie was to be a girl in her 20s, and let's face it, Ali was NOT) with Jane Seymour in WAR as Natalie. Jane was amazing in that part - they should have picked her for WOW too.

12. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Who would have have had play Pug? My father has read the books so many times he could practically give you a page-by-page synopsis, and he thought Mitchum was perfect for the role, as was Victoria Tennant as Pamela, and Jan-Michael Vincent as Byron in WOW. He said that if I do read the books I would see how perfect Tennant was in that role. He thought the actor who played "Talky" Tudsbury in WAR was closer to the book than the one who played him in WOW.

Loved Topol as Berel. In WOW, you can tell that he is channeling his portrayal of Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof, and even the music in those Poland scenes almost sounds as though it was lifted straight from the movie version (I watched that too, last Sunday).

Jane Seymour had an edge as Natalie in WAR because her mother had actually been in a camp, and she also had relatives on her father's side who had been in camps as well.

13. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

I finally saw "The Help" and really liked it. I'm an Emma Stone fan, but it was a great cast. It's just that I loved 50/50. Wish I could watch it again.

14. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I think he finally understands why I (and most fans of small market teams) feel as I do about the Yankees. We just had a conversation about it at dinner tonight, about the huge disparities in salaries that he had no idea about prior to the movie.

I could see Brad getting a nom for it because of how well it is doing at the box office and the critical acclaim it is getting. But, other than it being very much a one character film, I didn't think the performance was that spectacular. I haven't seen Tree of Life.

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Nipsey Russell. :p

16. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

This afternoon, I was thinking I wanted to watch Four Weddings and a Funeral. Sure enough, I was flipping through channels just now and it is on OWN :) This is the first time I've watched anything on OWN, but it appears they are running it without commercials which is good.

17. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I didn't, but I have seen clips from the original. So I can't compare the two, but there must have been a decent amount of money put into the remake, because it was a good looking film.

Mom mentioned that people didn't obsess over celebrities like they do now. And it sounds like they were all quite humble, probably much more than most reality stars these days. (Talk about ass backwards!!!)

18. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I'm falling in love with Nancy Carroll all over again, courtesy of Red Dawn, Child of Manhattan, The Kiss before the Mirror, and Laughter. She was supposed to be Paramount's Great Big Star in the early 30's when Clara Bow started to hit the skids, but Carroll was a feisty gal who protested loudly and hotly against the crap they put her in, so she got dumped in favor of Claudette Colbert. Pity. She really could have been one of the major actresses of the Depression Era.

19. Vash01

The NHL and NFL have a hard salary cap. The NBA has a soft cap (as good as no cap at all) and the MLB has no salary cap. So we see the disparity, with big market teams and rich owners buying talent needed to win. I too was happy when the Yankees lost to the Tigers the other day. Detroit is not exactly small market though. Oakland is.

Spoilers ahead...........(not sure how to show 'black out' the text below)

I can't say I totally agree with his decision to turn down the Red Sox's offer. Yes, he wants to see his daughter more often, but with that much money he could have flown her to wherever he was, any time. Maybe he just liked the bay area better than the east coast.

20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The local PBS station showed The Music Man tonight. I loooove that movie - it's been one of my favourites since I was little. But I do wish it would be re-released with the original screen proportions. I have it on VHS and in some of the bigger scenes, the actors are going in and out of the sides of the frame. And in one scene (the split-screen where Shirley Jones is singing "Dream of Now" on her porch, and the school board are singing "Lida Rose" on another porch) the shot pans back and forth between them - but in the original, it was a steady split-screen shot with both parts visible throughout. This version on PBS was a little better, but there were still some parts where people were speaking and weren't visible.

21. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I saw The Ides of March as well. I enjoyed it and was impressed with the acting of everyone in the cast, especially of course Clooney, Gosling, and Hoffman. However, I thought what it had to say about power corrupting people was pretty cliche and there was a sub plot that I thought took the movie in a direction where it didn't need to go.

22. Vash01

I have yet to see any of these new movies. I have 'Ides of march',. '50-50' and 'Contagion' on my list, but very little time. I did rent a DVD of a very old movie 'Starman' and liked it quite a lot. Jeff Bridges looked considerably younger (27 years do make a difference!:lol:), and he portrayed the Starman character really well. I don't know why Karen Allen looks the same no matter which character she is playing. She reminded me a lot of 'Raiders of the lost arc'. She acted well, but she still seemed more Karen Allen than Jenny Hayden to me. The movie was good though. I liked the idea, and the fact that the Starman never really became comfortable on earth. It was not clear to me why he was on earth for just 3 days. I will watch it again to get it answered.

23. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Catching up on my Entertainment Weekly's and was :eek: about this upcoming movie:

Yuck. Sounds like a horrid project all around. :(

24. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Last Wednesday night, a friend and I went to see an advance screening of Real Steel, the movie with Hugh Jackman and the boxing robots, and I am stunned to report that it's a really great movie! Didn't think I would enjoy the boxing aspect of it but at its core the movie is really about a father and son connecting after years of being apart. The effects and boxing are awesome, we all really did cheer at different parts, but the father/son stuff and emotional aspects of the story are what make this movie so wonderful. Don't let the promos tell you otherwise...it's more than just a robot boxing movie! Definitely two thumbs up from me. I saw some preliminary numbers earlier tonight and apparently it did very well at the box office for it's opening weekend which makes me very happy! :cheer:

I also just saw Soul Surfer for the first time tonight (we showed it for my youth group) and it's such a wonderful movie. Great story and the fact that it's all about a real girl and her story makes it even better. Definitely recommend that one too. :)

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

My problem is that everytime I see the trailer for Real Steel I keep called it Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots the movie and making Wolverine jokes. I think I may need to find other people to go to movies with:D.

26. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

My friend called it that too! One of the robots even looks like a Rock Em Sock Em one, LOL :lol: She also enjoyed it though so don't let the promos steer you away if you want to see it. He's not Wolverine at all so you should be able to get past that pretty quick! ;)

27. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Hope this isn't a duplication but I couldn't read through all 11 pages. I got through 4 and said "what the hell..."

I have been seeing previews on TV for yet another production of "The Three Musketeers." It looks beautiful-don't know how it will be or if they'll screw the story up, as usual, but visually, it looks wonderful. Good cast, too. Nice to see a d'Artagnan who actually looks 17, although Michael York was perfect in the old 1973 edition. The 1990's version was atrocious.

"Musketeers" is one of my favorite books of all time, and if this is a good version of the story and sticks even halfway to what Dumas wrote, I'll love it.

Edited...ok, I saw two messages mentioning this. At least somebody besides me wants to see it. I think Orlando Bloom will be perfect as the Duke of Buckingham....)

28. emason

emason Well-Known Member

TCM alert for anyone who likes Ray Milland and ghost stories - The Uninvited is on tonight at 9:15 ET.

29. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

It honestly has nothing to do with the character he's playing. My friends think it would look cooler if it was Wolverine beating up robots. I think they are just trying to find a way to burn the atrocity that was X-Men Origins: Wolverine out of their heads.

30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Who wrote this? The same guy who wrote The Turner Diaries?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.