Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Sep 5, 2011.

?

New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

1. Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  7. Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  10. Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  11. Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  12. Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Room is one of my all time favorite movies. Gosh, whatever happened to Julian Sand's career?
  2. Allen

Allen New Member

Howard's End just started.

The opening with Vanessa Redgrave's dress dragging through the grass :swoon:
  3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I wondered about that too--from leading man to sci fi baddie of the week.
  4. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Just watched a really good documentary available at youtube to watch for free!

The Listening Project (2008)

I don't think I even knew about this movie, but was searching for something with a similar title and stumbled upon this, which is a topic which really interests me. Here's the blurb about the movie in the youtube description:

If this sounds even remotely interesting to you, I definitely encourage you to check it out. :)
  5. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Saw Contagion tonight, and I highly recommend it. While it's not as good as Traffic, I do think the execution of interweaving and overlapping storylines was superior. And I enjoyed seeing Gwenyth Paltrow dying a horrible death--one, because she's annoying and two because she did a really great job. It would have been really easy for her to overact, but she didn't. The opening sequence in the movie sets the tone so well. What brings everyone together is this horrible virus, but the story is really about communication, the good, the bad, and everything in between. Jennifer Ehle was fabulous, as was the entire cast. It's nice to see a well-done movie.

I only have a few minor criticisms--the pacing at times was a bit off. The movie was only an hour and forty minutes, and the end was abrupt. I could have easily sat down for another 15 minutes to have some of the story lines fleshed out a little bit. The Marion Cottilliard part was good because Marion Cottilliard is great, but it was unnecessary. They could have integrated the same idea with one of the other plotlines. She's set up to be a major thread, and then we don't see her for an hour, and when we do, it's all very rushed. They made Kate Winslet look so incredibly dowdy for no reason--roots for miles, and not the ombre kind, and for some reason, they put her in these dull brown/hazel contacts. When she got sick, honestly, there wasn't that much difference. :shuffle:
    I also wanted Jude Law's character to get what he so richly deserved, but alas, I wuz-robbed. He was such a slimy little weasle; I guess it comes naturally to him.
  6. Allen

Allen New Member

For fans of old Hollywood musicals, Kismet is starting on TCM now.
  7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I find Ann Blyth annoying in everything except Mildred Pierce.
  8. Allen

Allen New Member

I would agree with that.
  9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

She was okay in The Helen Morgan Story, but those Technicolor musicals were mad sappy to me.

But she was singularly pretty, I'll give her that.
  10. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Rex, can you tell me more about why you didn't like Pulp Fiction? You can put in spoilers if you wish. I've never seen it, in fact I've never seen a Quentin Tarantino film (apart from stumbling across Kill Bill on TV, and I couldn't turn it off fast enough) but Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs are constantly being recommended to me. You're probably the first person I've encountered who has expressed dislike for PF :lol: so I'm really interested hear the opinion of someone who doesn't think it's genius.

I wouldn't say I'm a film buff but I do watch loads of films and I'm constantly on the lookout for good movies I haven't seen. I almost always give cult classics a try, especially highly rated ones like Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs, and I feel like my film vocabulary is incomplete without having seen them if that makes sense. But somehow I just can't bring myself to watch (same with A Clockwork Orange). I get *really* squicked out by intense violence and gore and I hate disturbing scenes that are put in just for shock value. The few seconds of Kill Bill I saw involved Uma Thurman stepping on an eyeball :yikes: and I'm not sure I could handle a full out Tarantino film. And yet people keep assuring me I'll love them :shuffle:
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to read that as well. I bought the DVD after getting the soundtrack (which is kick ASS BTW and get played in the car on a regular basis), but I can't bring myself to watch it for the same reasons you haven't. Would love to know of any gore scenes so I can just fast-forward through them.
  12. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I found the film needlessly, pretentiously violent, racist and misanthropic. It's not hip or cool to accidentally shoot someone to elicit laughs, or to cheerfully have one of the white characters, Tarantino himself, spout off the "n" word (and I don't care how many black people he has heard use the word, it DON'T make it right). And the rape of the black gangster by the two racist hillbillies was gross - mainly because of the context he used it in - to elicit shock and laughs - not cool. I almost got up and left, but the people I was with persuaded me to stay. And I don't get why the film got an Oscar for its screenplay either - I must have missed something there too. The whole movie was hard to follow.

I also found Resevoir Dogs and From Dusk Till Dawn unwatchable, although not as offensive as Pulp Fiction. I didn't mind Jackie Brown so much, but it was hardly the masterpiece critics were making out to be.

Now, I've giggled at the scene in The Color Purple where Celie gets crowned by the rock that Harpo throws at her, and at Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, when one the drag queens gets knocked out by a beer can. There have been a couple of films with scenes of unexpected violence and I've elicited nervous laughter. But I think the violence in Pulp Fiction was excessive, like an oversalted dish.
  13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Rex, my thoughts mirror your own - about all the above.
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Work continues on cleaning up my DVR. I'm almost done Cup of Russia! :lol: These movies, too (from best to worst):

Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I'm putting this one highest mainly because of Russell Brand. I have not seem him in a lot of things, so I was delighted by his presence in this movie. At times, he is WAY out there, yet he is also understated at times, which makes him so watchable and appealing. The script was quite good, many cliches we see so often were absent. The only negative was
    how Sarah Marshall suddenly became the villian in the blink of an eye at the end of the movie...
    :huh:

Outlander (2008), starring Jim Caviezel :)swoon:), John Hurt and Ron Perlman. I saw this preview on a DVD a while back and thought, "How come I never heard of this movie??" But I liked the preview and saw that it was airing on the Space Network last night, so was happy to tune in. I give it a thumbs up, but some of the early special effects had me thinking, "uh-oh..." :lol: But later scenes were better. Basically this movie is about some other-worlders crashing on earth in the 700's or so...and bringing something with them...something MEAN!

Rape of Europa, 2006 documentary about the theft of art in and around Europe during World War II. Definitely worth watching if you like documentaries or the art world. My only complaint is that at times there seemed to be an implication that some art has more value than human life... :confused:

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) - Did Cary Grant ever look dreamier? :swoon: Grant was 40 when this movie was released, I had guessed he would have been 30, give or take a few years. Oh right, the movie. :lol: Got off to a great start, but the script dragged as time went on...in spite of the cast working their BUTTS off, giving it everything they had. Don't think I've ever seen a cast working so hard to elevate the material! A mild thumbs up, mainly to ogle Grant (in spite of his over-the-top mugging).

Youngblood (1986) with Rob Lowe - also starring Patrick Swayze, Fionnula Flanagan as a landlady seductress and Keanu Reeves in a bit part (two lines)?? I admit, I only recorded this to ogle a young Rob Lowe (even though he was too pretty for me...for the most part)! The movie is awful, for so many reasons. Especially the costume department, who had Lowe in khaki dress pants instead of tight Levi's for the first half of the movie!!!!! :mad:

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (2008 TV Movie with Dougray Scott and Tom Skerritt). Pretty bad. Quite shocking that this is what they ended up with from a classic novel. Lots of wandering, walking around, searching...I was able to scan through half of this movie and not miss anything. Took about 45 minutes to watch a 90 minute program! 45 minutes I'll never get back! :lol:
  15. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I also hated Pulp Fiction. In fact, I've hated every single one of his movies except for Resevoir Dogs, which I found mildly tolerable. I hated it because it's badly done pretentious crap where supposedly talking about a Big Mac in France is natural speech and shows characterization.
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  16. triple_toe

Arsenic and Old Lace :swoon: One of my favourite movies ever! Hilarious, goofy, just fantastic all around. I love it for a bit of light Halloween fare.
  17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I will look at anything with Cary in it just to look at his face....it was a great face.
  18. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I don't mind Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs but I found the dialogue to be annoying. Kill Bill 1 was fantastic but Kill Bill 2 suffered from the same problems, the dialogue. I haven't seen his later films, not because I don't want to just haven't gotten round to it.

Jackie Brown though I absolutely love. I'm a huge fan of blaxploitation films anyway and Tarantino perfectly captures the era but updates it to the time. Keeps the grittiness too. Just a lovely film. Some of the dialogue gets a bit too much but it does work in this film.
  19. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

A local station played "Mr. Lucky" last night... I'd forgotten what a terrific plot it has! I ALWAYS lurve me some Cary Grant (he's my all-time favorite).

-Bridget :)
  20. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Wonderful movie. "Just fight. Fight, fight, fight. I don't care." :lol: Cary could do ANYTHING -- comedy, drama, didn't matter. I love versatile actors.

I've got that on tape somewhere -- really need to dig it out and watch it!
  21. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour New Member

I love everything about this movie including the fact that I got my name, Peaches LaTour, from this film as "she" is mentioned in one of the scenes.

Grant hated his acting in this film but judging by it's popularity, everyone else thought he did it just right...:D
  22. Allen

Allen New Member

I actually wrote my undergraduate honors thesis on Pulp Fiction. I've often wondered if the reason I'm such a Tarantino fan is because Reservoir Dogs came out when I was 13 and I thought I was really getting away with something by watching his films. I was 15 when I saw Pulp Fiction and I've been enamored with the film ever since. I get some of the criticisms of the writing, but I'm definitely in the opposite camp because I just adore his films.

I think my actual favorite of his films has become Death Proof. I find myself watching it a lot and I've taught it in classes quite a few times. The only film of his I haven't taught, actually, is Inglorious Basterds, which I plan to teach next semester. In fact, this is the first semester other than my days of teaching freshman comp that I haven't taught a Tarantino film. By and large, students love his work, but I often wonder if they love it because they think they are supposed to love it?
  23. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Suspicion, one of my favorites, was on yesterday. I too love Cary Grant and think that he, like Mary Poppins, is practically perfect in every way. I think he hit his peak of handsomeness when he was a bit older, though. I like a little gray in his hair.
  24. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Cary Grant :swoon: :D

Seriously though, my Nana used to babysit me and we would always catch whatever old movie was on and I distinctly remember Grant being my first movie star crush. ;) Tall, dark, handsome, stylish, romantic, funny......sigh, Grant was just a dreamboat! :swoon:
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  25. Allen

Allen New Member

I agree, but I have to say that he was awfully hot in She Done Him Wrong (which is my favorite Mae West movie) when he was still pretty young.
  26. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Sounds like everyone here liked Arsenic and Old Lace better than me... Which made me think I should see more Cary Grant movies as I don't think I've seen many. Which made me find this list from imdb.com ranking his movies by popularity (I'm including only the top 30):

I've seen North By Northwest, An Affair To Remember and I'm No Angel, but I remember them more for the movie overall, rather than Cary Grant specifically. And I saw Gunga Din a few years back and did not care for it. Still, I have a lot of catching up to do!! :eek:
  27. triple_toe

Watch Charade! Audrey Hepburn + Cary Grant = Serious Eye Candy.
  28. Allen

Allen New Member

Bringing up Baby and The Philadelphia Story are both brilliant! He's fantastic in both.
  29. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

We took the niece and nephew to see Lion King. I wish they had some non 3D showings because the 2 yr old wouldn't wear her glasses. Could have saved a lot of money with a regular showing.

I still need to go see Straw Dogs and now I want to see Drive.
  30. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

I've seen most of those and loved every one, lol! The only Grant movie I haven't really liked was "Only Angels Have Wings", but I still enjoy the parts with him in it :swoon:

-Bridget :)
  31. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

I adore those movies, and His Girl Friday.
  32. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

One of my favorites (top 10) didn't even make the list--I liked "Room For One More" with Betsy Drake and this funny little boy with raspy voice (don't know his name.)
  33. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

"Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" is absolutely :rofl: and actually holds up very well for a 60+ year old film!

Cary and Myrna Loy were a great pair. :)
  34. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I love them, too, but love her even better with William Powell. Love Cary Grant and Irene Dunne together.
  35. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Add me to the Cary Grant fan club. Arsenic & Old Lace is still one of my favourite comedies of all time, but I also love The Philadelphia Story, North by Northwest, Notorious, and To Cath a Thief.

I a completely different vein, I watched A Summer in Genoa over the weekend. Pretty much the only reason I picked it up was for Colin Firth (really, do you need any other reason?), but I enjoyed it for so man other reasons too. It never ceases to amaze me how many different ways there are to portray grief and how it affects one's behaviour.
  36. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

TCM showing James Dean's movies tomorrow evening.
  37. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I liked Cary in Penny Serenade - it was so unlike his screen persona, and it was a great tearjerker of a movie. He and Irene Dunne played off each other so well.
  38. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Rex, you and I are "on the same wavelength".

I came here to post about "Penny Serenade"; such an underrated, moving film.
    Grant and Dunne are wonderful; and Beulah Bondi, as well.
    Keep tissues handy!
  39. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I cry like a baby every time.
  40. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

oh my gosh, i forgot that movie existed! it is a tear jerker
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.