Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Sep 5, 2011.

?

New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

1. Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  7. Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  10. Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  11. Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  12. Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I think ASkars is the reason at least 50% of the people going to see SD will go to see it. As a True Blood fan, that was how I first heard about the movie, but from the trailers, it actually looks pretty awesome. I said in the True Blood thread that there's a chance the inclusion of Kate Bosworth will turn off a lot of people - the ASkars fans because of their (now defunct) relationship, and also because a lot of people, even aside from that, really don't like her because of the rumours surrounding her and that people have a hard time really knowing the reason she's still famous, since the only movie she's really known for is about 10 years old. But in any case, it does look good. And yes, especially because of ASkars (whose casting, the director says, is the one thing he feels really surpasses the original).

And also initially because of ASkars' involvement, I'm intrigued by Melancholia, which I believe opens in November. Despite director Lars Von Trier's insanity at Cannes, it does seem quite well done, and Kirsten Dunst won the best actress at Cannes for it. Basically she's a depressed bride, and at her wedding reception (to Alex) they discover a planet heading to earth. Lars has said it's about the end of the world and there will be no happy endings. His movies seem to be the kind that whether you love them or hate them, they stick with you, and it's currently got a 76% fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes. Straw Dogs hasn't been rated yet.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

The Pianist is one of my all time favorite movies. IMO it should have won the best picture Oscar (instead of Chicago).

Did you not watch the entire movie 'boy in striped pajamas'? Did you know how it ended? Is that why you felt uncomfortable?

Another Holocaust movie (though not the whole movie) was 'Sunshine'. One part of it involved Holocaust.

I don't remember Judgment at Nuremberg, but I have heard of it. I may rent it one of these days.

3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Thank you....I went to Lemmon's filmography after posting and wasn't sure if we were talking about the same people.

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I was not in the mood to watch it. I can watch movies about the Holocaust, but this one had me squirming. I feel the same way about movies like Rosewood and Pulp Fiction. But I actually despise the latter film because of its sadism, hipster racism and overall mean-spiritedness.

5. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I just read about this movie in Entertainment Weekly, I think it came out in June, but it looks really good!

Life In A Day

Here's the youtube blurb about the movie:

6. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Hubby really wants to see Contagion. Even though it's star-studded, the whole worldwide pandemic plot device has been used ad nauseum, (Outbreak, Quarantine, numerous zombie movies, even
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    ). I'm wondering if Contagion will bring anything new to the table - I'm betting it goes like this:
    1. Protagonist goes to work
    2. Protagonist senses something wrong
    3. Protagonist goes home, loved one is infected
    4. Protagonist makes emotional decision to save/abandon loved one
    5. Sh*t hits the fan
    6. A cure is found, loved one is saved

The 90's called - they want their movie back. I'm willing to bet the couples just end up realizing they love each other and the orgy never happens, or if it does, it's off screen/after the credits.

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

They all go like that but for the sake of Matt Damon I will go and see it. :D

8. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I thought The Pianist was excellent in places, but trite in others. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was superb, and haunting. Sunshine I know I saw, and I think I liked it ... but I can't remember a thing about it. So what does that tell you. ;)

But the Holocaust movie that stayed with me the most was God on Trial. (OK, technically a made-for-TV film.) It's about a group of men at Auschwitz who, sensing it is their last night, hold a mock trial with God as the defendant. Unbelievably powerful stuff, and very definitely "Jewish."

9. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Sunshine is Ralph Fiennes and Jennifer Ehle in a story about 3 generations of Hungarians Jews. One of the characters was a fencer I remember. Personally, I loathed it and have no desire to see it again.

I haven't seen either The Pianist or The Boy in the Striped Pajamas; they are on my list. One of these days I'll get around to them.

10. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I did not care much for Sunshine, but didn't exactly loathe it.

11. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I have really begun to appreciate documentaries in the last few years.

I loved Mad Hot Ballroom. (I also loved Strictly Ballroom. Not a documentary, but I liked it, and the title is close. lol.). The King of Kong (about the wonderful world of Donkey Kong, and those that play it), and Supersize Me, to name a few.

12. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I must agree. Beautiful to watch, great acting, but just sort of flat and loooong.

13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

OMG...that sounds gooooood!!!! :p

I sent the list below to Cheylana as she's really into documentaries and since you've specificially mentioned that genre, thought I'd post the upcoming documentaries for the next three months in the theatres:

Sep 9 - Where Soldiers Come From (documentary)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWixLvfef0Y

Sep 9 - Laugh At My Pain (comedy documentary – Kevin Hart)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQnSANe071I

Sep 9 - The Whale (documentary - wild killer whale befriends people on Vancouver Island)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Gm0wINeaU

Sep 9 - The Black Power Mix Tape: 1967-1975 (doc: Black Power Movement)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXQxyYllXnM

Sep 16 - The Weird World of Blowfly (documentary about acclaimed Miami musician Clarence Reid)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8cSuQ8w7rc

Sep 16 - Back Door Channels: The Price of Peace (documentary)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35p28jHwckg

Sep 16 - Connected: An Autoblogography about Love, Death and Technology (documentary)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESVfGVQmk6Y

Sep 16 - Jane's Journey (documentary about Dr. Goodall’s devotion to saving our endangered planet)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BXVUvm7IQ4

Sep 20 - Pearl Jam Twenty (musical documentary)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSp1YVGqw1Y&ob=av2e

Sep 23 - The Man Nobody Knew: In Search of My Father, CIA Spymaster William Colby (documentary)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM1p0Mlhs7c

Sep 23 - U.N. Me (documentary - filmmaker Ami Horowitz takes us on a brutal tour of a number of places where the UN has intervened)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48fRmFapblI

Sep 23 - Limelight (documentary about Peter Gatien, the owner of legendary New York nightclubs like Limelight, The Tunnel and the Palladium)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1Ntoy-RKdY

Oct 21 - Revenge of the Electric Car (documentary looking at the resurgence of interest in electric vehicles)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkRIu5a6Sb0

Nov 11 - The Bully Project (documentary about how we’ve been affected by bullying, whether we've been victims, perpetrators or silent witnesses)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBymTVjBYHg

14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

From my local newspaper:

I think they'll make a cute couple. ;) Think I should stalk the crew and try to get autographs or pictures? :lol:

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw Contagion and loved it. Nice little movie and while they tried to make it as realistic as possible, they could not help but put in some Hollywood bits and pieces in it. However it is still very good.

16. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh, I saw that. Very powerful.

Boy in the Striped Pajamas, as I think I've said here before, left me shattered. I went with a group, and afterward we were all unable to speak. No one said a word for something like five or ten minutes.

18. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I chilled with my niece and nephew last night and watched "Paul". We all loved it. :) Kristen Wiig is completely awesome in so many ways, I so need to see "Bridesmaids" next.

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

God on Trial sounds fascinating. It is not on Netflix though, shucks. I guess I will have to keep an eye out for it.

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I didn't know they were making a documentary about Luna! I have to see this. Does rfisher know about this?

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Watched The Big Chill this morning. Another film I can never get tired of watching. Then I watched Sophie's Choice. :fragile:

22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Watched Fanboys for the first time--fun movie.

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Yesterday I saw Contagion. It was not as good as I expected it to be, considering the amount of talent involved. An interesting idea poorly executed. I also watched An Education via On Demand this morning and I loved it.

Now I am watching The Clock with Judy Garland. This has to be my favorite Judy movie next to A Star is Born. I cannot believe that it didn't receive more attention that it did. Maybe because people were used to seeing her in musicals...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It's also one of my favorites.
    Judy was a wonderful actress.

Robert Walker was great in this, as well.

25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Yes he was. Pity his life was so short.

Just got back from Crazy, Stupid Love. This flick had two directors, and it showed - it had a disconnected feel to it - like I was switching channels between two movies. There is also a rather strange twist 3/4 through the film that throws the movie on its ear. But it also creates some funny moments. Steve Carrell and Ryan Gosling pretty much walk off with the movie tooo.

26. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I watched The Letter (1929) five times this weekend. Herbert Marshall played a great cad and even though she was all over the place performance-wise, I was fascinated by Jeanne Eagels as Leslie Crosby.

27. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I watched this last night. Why did this movie not get more attention? It's completely hilarious, and the special effects are excellent (and I am the last person on earth who would watch something that is a CGI-fest).

Anyone who liked "Galaxy Quest" would roll on the floor laughing at "Paul".

28. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Watched a bunch of movies this last week, thought I'd give some brief reviews.

Dawn Anna (Debra Winger). This was a TV movie that won a bunch of Emmys, if I'm remembering correctly. And well deserved! Often I'll watch a bit of a movie, then go do other stuff, then return to it later, or even a few days later. But this one I had to watch from start to finish. Loved, loved, LOVED it!

Jackie Brown (Pam Grier, Samuel L. Jackson, etc.) This one's been on my list of movies to see for a long time and who knew I could like a Quentin Tarantino movie THIS much? DEFINITELY his best ever.

Original Sin (Angelina Jolie & Antonio Banderas). I remember this one being heavily criticized, so my expectations were low. But I really liked it! Maybe people took it as a drama instead of a melodrama/thriller? I thought it was great fun. Plus I loved the tug-of-war. Angelina on screen: "She's the most beautiful person on the planet!" Then Antonio on screen: "No, HE is the most beautiful person on the planet!!" :lol:

Couples Retreat. Wasn't expecting much for this, it came out just before Vince Vaughn was defending his "that's so gay" schtick as the ultimate in comedy, so was surprised to find that I found it quite enjoyable. Plus I thougt it was going to be a self-help bashing movie, but the filmmakers were open to the fact that people can change for the better with some help. Worth a rental. :)

The Mission. Got the soundtrack from the library and decided I should re-watch the film. Couldn't remember it for the most part since my original viewing. It was good, great cast, but I think because I've heard the music so often in skating that I set my expectations so high that the movie couldn't live up to that.

Keith (Jesse McCartney). This is a movie I had never heard of, just grabbed it off the shelf at the library. A very small film which side-stepped most of the cliches one finds in a youth/coming-of-age story. Worth grabbing off the shelf if you see it at your library. ;)

The International (Clive Owen, Naomi Watts). Incredibly wordy. Sit up straight and pay attention. Turn the ringer off your phone and tell everyone in your household to leave you alone for two hours. Focus and report back whether everything they covered sunk in! :D

smurfy, orientalplane, Rex and 3 others like this.
  29. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

What about War and Remembrance? My father has the DVD box set that has the entire mini-series, and I've finally got around to watching it for myself (he also wants me to read the book, plus Winds of War). I just finished the first episode.

Dan Curtis was actually able to get permission to film inside Auschwitz, the only American film crew to be allowed to do so. Even Spielberg couldn't accomplish that for Schindler's List. And a lot of the extras for the camp scenes were actually Holocaust survivors who had been in the camps as children or young adults. It was said in the DVD bonus documentaries that the attention to detail on those scenes was so accurate (thanks to a Yugoslavian Associate Producer who himself was in Auschwitz as a teenager) that a lot of them felt like they were really back there and going through their experiences a second time.

He also got ABC to agree to show the camp scenes in their entirety, without censoring or editing (again, before Schindler's List was shown unedited on network TVin the late 1990's). He felt to do otherwise would be to trivialize what happened. I remember my father, who is a scholar of WWII because he lived through it, and his father fought in the Pacific (and the paternal side of his family is Jewish), saying to me to be prepared for what I was going to see, because it leaves nothing to the imagination.

30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I certainly liked it better than the supremely overrated Pulp Fiction.
    That movie was deep...I discover something different about it each time I watch it. There is a perversity about this movie; like the scene where Thomas Jane spits into Angelina's mouth, to prove that he owns her. it truly is twisted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.