Let's Talk Movies v.16! (Sci-Fi, Oscar Bait, Horror, Golden Oldies...It's All Good!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Sep 5, 2011.

New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

1. Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  7. Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  10. Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  11. Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  12. Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I went to the opening night of the St. Louis International Film Festival tonight and saw the screening of 'The Artist.'

:swoon: Charming, funny, dramatic, beautiful photography and lighting, and Jean DuJardin is destined for an Oscar nomination for Best Actor. I would be shocked if the film does not get a nod for Best Picture, Director, score, screenplay (yes, even though it is a "silent" movie), cinematography and costume and scenic design.

I believe the movie opens in limited release around Thanksgiving.

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I heard about The Artist and want to see it too but today I am planning to see Immortals. Swords, sandals and cute guys in loin cloths. What more could you ask for? :lol:

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw Immortals today and it was pretty good for a cotton candy sword and sandal movie. I read a couple of reviews before going to see it and they were not glowing so my expectations were not high. Immortals proved to be a pleasant surprise and it is very much in the same vein as 300 so if you like that sort of thing, this could be the movie for you. :)

4. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Is Immortals gory? I felt 300 was somewhat. Is it similar in that respect?

I want to see J Edgar Hoover tomorrow. If anyone else has seen it, please post your thoughts.

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yep it is but not quite as gory, however, messy and full of blood it it indeed.

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I hope "limited" includes D.C., and not just LA and NYC. It sounds really good!

7. agalisgv

Saw J Edgar Hoover, and have mixed feelings about it. It's directed by Clint Eastwood, and the cinematography was very remiscent of Invictus. I think Eastwood shoots on a different (older) version of film to get a more period feel. So while there is a certain ambience caught that way, to me it makes you feel like you are always watching a movie rather than being immersed in one. There's a certain detachment maintained throughout.

The movie goes back and forth between older events and more recent ones. But at times the movie jumped back and forth so quickly, it was harder to get into the storyline.

Wrt content, the movie spent a *lot* of time developing the theme of Hoover being gay and having a lover. At first the treatment was very subtle (and effective IMO), but then it just got very explicit and dwelt on it, and the impact to me was lost quite a bit. The movie covered some of the major foci of Hoover's work--the "Bolsheviks" in the 20's, organized crime in the 30's, kidnapping of Lindbergh's baby, and his focus on King and the civil rights movements in the 60's, but then completely ignored things like the McCarthy era. It seemed there was a decision to spend more time on the possible gay relationship than to cover the 40's and 50's, so there was this big historical gap in the movie which felt jarring and inexplicable.

DiCaprio I thought was amazing. Judi Densch was incredible too. There's one scene between the two dealing with homosexuality which was very powerful. I won't give it away, but it really left an impact.

Anyhow, the movie is long and sometimes felt a bit long. There were a lot of historical figures covered, and the performances of those characters were uneven at times. Nonetheless the scope of the movie was huge, and DiCaprio very successfully portrayed Hoover as a complex figure rather than a caricature.

8. peibeck

I think it probably will just open in those markets first, but I am very sure it will do a quick expansion over the following weeks due to Golden Globe nods I am sure it will pick up, and perhaps some film critics awards.

9. peibeck

I saw two other movies this weekend.

"J. Edgar" which I found well crafted (great sets, costumes) but over-all rather un-focused as to whether it wanted to be a love story or a political drama bio-pic. It doesn't really succeed very well on either platform.

Judi Dench was the most impressive member of the cast for me. (Not surprisingly). I thought Leonardo DeCaprio was okay in the title role, but I failed to see the intensity I think this characterization needed, and which would have made the film probably a lot stronger. (It's too bad Dustin Hoffman was too old for this role; I believe he might have made it sing.)

Sadly, the film doesn't really make you learn anything about the development of the FBI or Hoover that you probably haven't already heard or read previously. Therefore the film did not succeed for me.

The other movie I saw was "Shame," (which will be going out in limited release over the next few weeks) the psycho-drama about sexual addiction starring Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan and directed by British film maker Steve McQueen . Aside from the fearless performances of Fassbender and Mulligan, I found the film to be a complete and utter hot mess.

The film relies almost solely on visuals (the film has virtually no dialogue, and much of the dialogue there is sounds mostly improvised) to take us on a journey of Fassbender's spiraling descent, apparently set off by the arrival of his sister (Mulligan) on his door-step. Obviously they have some kind of dark, complex past, but the filmmakers feel no need for explanation, back story, indeed hardly any dialogue to flesh the characters out.

Indeed, for me, the film's fatal flaw is that it pretends it wants you to not judge the lead for his behaviour but just sit and observe him and then come to your own conclusion, but at the same time presents his world in a dystopian fashion. The entire stand-off/clinical presentation of the movie completely flies in the face of the film maker's utter condemation of his lead characters actions. Anti-heroes can be completely compelling (such as in "The Social Network"), when there is some flesh to the characters; in "Shame" you're left wondering why you should invest two hours of time with a character a filmmaker is too lazy to develop and obviously detests.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Immortals was #1 over the weekend followed by Jack & Jill and Puss in Boots.

11. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Saw Puss in Boots (3D) today; I've got to say I loved it.

Also saw Margin Call over the weekend; that one didn't work for me, although Kevin Spacey gives his best performance in years. I found the pacing to be too measured, too slow, and therefore the excitement just wasn't there. It should have been much more gripping than it was.

12. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Well this is lame but I have not been to a movie lately so the two movie trailers I enjoyed were On Demand for "Attack the Block" and "Tucker and Dale vs Evil." I like idea of the first film when aliens attack and a young bunch of thugs in London are not having it. And then the idea of Tucker and Dale--two hicks being mistaken for killers by your usual assortment of teenagers that usually die in horror flicks--actually made me laugh out loud. I hope the best parts weren't in the trailers.

13. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

14. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I can say that Tucker and Dale was terrific! The whole movie was funny, not just what was in the trailer.

15. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

saw the trailer for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo when I went to see Anonymous. Can't wait until 12-21-11!

16. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Four movies I've seen recently (from best to...least best - I liked them all):

The Haunting In Connecticut - I had mixed feelings while watching this one as the central character is struggling with cancer...and the movie is a supernatural horror drama. Very strange to have sort of two different themes happening at the same time. But it worked for me. Turns out the story the movie is based on is a big hoax, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. If you like this type of movie, I recommend it.

P.S. to Hollywood: Give Virginia Madsen more work, why don'tcha???

The Lincoln Lawyer - Two thumbs up, great story and what a cast: Matthew McConaughey, Marisa Tomei, Ryan Phillippe, William H. Macy, Josh Lucas, Michael Pena and Trace Adkins. Alas, there were no McConaughey/Phillippe kissing scenes. At least not on camera.

P.S. to Hollywood: Could you at least fine one movie where Marisa Tomei can be the lead? Also, never
    kill off William H. Macy half-way through a movie

9/11: Conspiracy Road Trip - BBC Three [Charlie Veitch]

You can watch the whole 60 minute documentary at that link, it's about a group of twenty-something Brits who think 9/11 is all about lies and set-ups. They are taken to various parts of the US and get to talk to experts, witnesses and family members who lost loved ones and we get to see if this changes their outlook or if they stay firm in their (dis-)beliefs.

Now Voyager (Bette Davis) - Schmaltzy at times, which is par for movies of that era (this one came out in 1942). Davis had to fight for this role, she ended up getting an Oscar nomination for best actress.

P.S. to Hollywood: HOW did you make Davis look like that in the early scenes???!!! :lol:

17. peibeck

I saw "The Descendants" last night. It's very good, and definite Oscar bait. It's kind of interesting to see Clooney playing so against type. I think the movie hit me personally on several levels because of personal issues I've had over the last 18 months with issues of both death and betrayal.

I haven't read the book it is based on, so I don't know if it ends similarly, but it felt a bit too much like "the circle is complete" to me.

Worst of all, it the movie made me want to hop a plane to Hawaii and get away from this cold, rainy November weather here in the Midwest. :lol:

The movie expands to about 400+ theatres (so wide limited release) on Wednesday 11/23.

18. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

So I'm the only one watching movies these days? Don't tell me the skating season has started already!!?? ;) Movies I liked from best to worst:

The Damned United (Michael Sheen, Jim Broadbent, Timothy Spall and Colm Meaney) - I don't like competitive (team) sports, but durned if they don't keep making good movies about them! :lol: This one is so sharply written. And directed. And acted. And filmed. SEE IT NOW!! :D

She Done Him Wrong (Mae West, Cary Grant and Noah Beery) - I don't get it. How could Mae West have done what she did when she did it? I can't see someone being able to do what she did in the 50's, but she was doing it in the 30's. Backlash to more conservatism after WWII? She's so freaking amazing, I can't believe it. (By the way, the above link isn't a trailer, but a 10 minute section of the film (couldn't find a trailer).

Some lines I loved from this movie:

Lady: I've heard so much about you!

Mae: But you can't prove it...

I wasn't always so rich...there was a time where I didn't know where my next husband was coming from.

Girl: How did you know a man was my problem?

Mae: There always is...it takes two to get one in trouble.

Cary Grant: Surely you don't mind me holding your hand?

Mae: They ain't heavy. I can hold it myself.

:rofl:

Frost/Nixon (Michael Sheen, Frank Langella, Kevin Bacon, Sam Rockwell, Oliver Platt and Toby Jones - Yup, it's been a Michael Sheen month. :) I thought this movie was good, but not quite great. Kind of a slow burner...

Two Lovers (Joaquin Phoenix, Gwyneth Paltrow, Isabella Rossellini) - Miserable people leading miserable lives. :blah: SKIP IT!!

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Am watching Super 8 and am a little bored, so I'm reading FSU at the same time.

20. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I finally watched and enjoyed "Beginners" with Christopher Plummer who seems to just get better with age. I saw him on Oprah and he was a bit of a rascal and I couldn't believe I thought a guy that age was hot. But I did (and he was!)

21. emason

emason Well-Known Member

A friend and I went to see 2001: A Space Odyssey yesterday at BAM. There are no words to describe this. The whole thing is one bad 60s acid trip and the pacing is deadly dull. How did this mess ever become a cult classic?

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  22. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

Saw Puss 'n Boots last weekend - it was alright, but that's all.

Fabulous movie called Sophie's Key at a special showing that I loved. Very thought provoking.

And I love Now Voyager - it's an old favourite that doesn't having me leaving the room for any scenes.

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It's a fine, surprisingly adult soaper that deals with adultery in a mature and matter-of-fact way. The ending was a little tough to take, but Bette was great in this, as was Gladys Cooper.

24. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I was shocked that a movie at that time was making it's two leads heroes when both unashamedly entered into an adulterous relationship. It certainly dealth with this in a mature way, I would have thought something from that era would have been heavy-duty judgemental, like they both die in a car crash or something! :eek: I actually liked the ending in that the love story-fantasy ending of them running off together did not happen, but a more grounded ending occurred with them being friends and being two adults there to care for his daughter.

Gladys Cooper as Davis' mother seemed one-note to me, but I'm sure that's how the role was written (and how she was directed). She did well with the part, though. Had to check imdb.com to see which role she played, found out that Cooper played Mrs. Higgins in My Fair Lady and also had roles in Rebecca, The Bishop's Wife, Madame Bovary and The Secret Garden. :respec:

25. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I really enjoyed Super 8 - we saw it in the theater this summer. It was loud and exciting, with just enough nostalgia. There were a few boring parts, though.

Just got back from seeing the new Muppet Movie - it was cute. The Muppet Theme song is an earbug, though. That was a really fun TV show.

26. agalisgv

I'm glad someone else thinks this too.

27. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I remember seeing this years ago and feeling very bored. It's definitely an overhyped movie.

28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Miss Cooper got her training on the London stage and was considered one of England's great beauties...who knew?

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Did anyone go to see any of the three children's movies which opened this weekend? If I had kids I would have gone to see Hugo but I could not bring myself to go. LOL So I saw Immortals again. :shuffle: According to Boxofficemojo the Twilight movie still remains number one. Too bad about that. I had hoped one of the family movies would unseat it but alas unfortunately that did not happen. :lol:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

30. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I love Gladys Cooper She and Dame Mae Whitty are two of my favorite character actresses and always add a lot to their movies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.