Let's Talk Movies v.15! (Old, New, Funny, Dramatic, Silent, Talky...Whatevah!)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Jun 18, 2011.

July 2011 New To Theatres - What Looks Good To You?

1. July 1st - Larry Crowne (comedy with Tom Hanks & Julia Roberts)

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. July 1st – Transformers: Dark of the Moon (sci-fi with Shia LaBeouf & Rosie Huntington-Whiteley)

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. July 8th – The Ledge (dramatic thriller with Patrick Wilson, Liv Tyler & Terrence Howard)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. July 8th – Horrible Bosses (comedy with Jason Bateman, Jennifer Aniston & Jamie Foxx)

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  5. July 15th – Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (history-based drama with Bingbing Li & Hugh Jackman)

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  6. July 15th – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Two (adventure with a bunch of nobodies)

43 vote(s)
    60.6%
  7. July 22nd - Another Earth (science-fiction with William Mapother & Brit Marling)

6 vote(s)
    8.5%
  8. July 22nd – Captain America: The First Avenger (adventure with Chris Evans & Tommy Lee Jones)

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
  9. July 22nd – Friends with Benefits (romantic comedy with Justin Timberlake & Mila Kunis)

7 vote(s)
    9.9%
  10. July 29th - The Devil's Double (action with Dominic Cooper & Ludivine Sagnier)

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  11. July 29th - Cowboys & Aliens (science-fiction with Daniel Craig & Harrison Ford)

22 vote(s)
    31.0%
  12. July 29th – Crazy, Stupid, Love (comedy with Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling & Julianne Moore)

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Seen any good movies lately? In the theatre...on DVD...on TCM...Netflix - it's all good! What do you recommend? What should people avoid like the plague? Start an argument (rent "Buried" immediately)! :lol:

Movies opening in July:

July 1st - Larry Crowne (comedy with Tom Hanks & Julia Roberts)
    July 1st – Monte Carlo (romantic comedy with Selena Gomez & Leighton Meester)
    July 1st – The Perfect Host (thriller with David Hyde Pierce & Clayne Crawford)
    July 1st – Terri (comedy with John C. Reilly & Jacob Wysocki)
    July 1st – Transformers: Dark of the Moon (sci-fi with Shia LaBeouf & Rosie Huntington-Whiteley)
    July 8th – Horrible Bosses (comedy with Jason Bateman & Charlie Day)
    July 8th – Ironclad (adventure with James Purefoy & Paul Giamatti)
    July 8th – The Ledge (dramatic thriller with Patrick Wilson & Liv Tyler)
    July 8th – The Tree (drama with Charlotte Gainsbourg & Morgana Davies)
    July 8th – The Ward (horror with Amber Heard & Lyndsy Fonseca)
    July 8th – The Zookeeper (romantic comedy with Kevin James & Sylvester Stallone)
    July 8th – Project Nim (documentary)
    July 15th – The Fields (dramatic thriller with Chloe Moretz & Sam Worthington)
    July 15th – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Two (adventure with a bunch of nobodies)
    July 15th – Page One: A Year Inside the New York Times (documentary with David Carr)
    July 15th – Salvation Boulevard (thriller with Jennifer Connelly & Marisa Tomei)
    July 15th – Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (history-based drama with Bingbing Li & Gianna Jun)
    July 15th – Tabloid (documentary)
    July 15th – Winnie the Pooh [1:09] (animation with Jim Cummings & Craig Ferguson)
    July 18th – Sinbad: The Fifth Voyage (adventure with Patrick Stewart & Lorna Raver)
    July 22nd - Another Earth (science-fiction with William Mapother & Brit Marling)
    July 22nd – Captain America: The First Avenger (adventure with Chris Evans & Tommy Lee Jones)
    July 22nd – Friends with Benefits (romantic comedy with Justin Timberlake & Mila Kunis)
    July 22nd - Sarah's Key (drama with Kristin Scott Thomas & Mélusine Mayance)
    July 29th - Cowboys & Aliens (science-fiction with Daniel Craig & Harrison Ford)
    July 29th – Crazy, Stupid, Love (comedy with Steve Carell & Ryan Gosling)
    July 29th - The Devil's Double (action with Dominic Cooper & Ludivine Sagnier)
    July 29th – The Smurfs (animation with Neil Patrick Harris & Sofía Vergara)

Well, I'm not sure about "The Fields", "Salvation Boulevard" and "Sinbad: The Fifth Voyage"...

"The Fields" is supposed to be released mid-month, but there's no trailer for it at either youtube or imdb.com. The movie also stars Jessica Chastain, Jeffrey Dean Morgan :)swoon:), Annabeth Gish, Jason Clarke (Chicago Code) and Sheryl Lee (Twin Peaks). Strange that there isn't more publicity available for it. Perhaps it's a big ol' bomb of a movie?

"Salvation Boulevard" has a big-name cast (Greg Kinnear, Marisa Tomei, Pierce Brosnan, Jennifer Connelly, Ed Harris and Howard Hesseman). It's another one that my first source listed as to be released mid-month, but maybe they're going to postpone the release date. Maybe because they predicted that I'd watch the trailer today....and hate it! :blech:

And "Sinbad: The Fifth Voyage"...this keeps getting a new release date every season, then nothing happens. They should probably just dump it into DVD land...

Vash01, KatieC, AliasJohnDoe and 3 others like this.
  2. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I saw "Queen of Outer Space" on TCM last night and howled with laughter throughout the whole thing.....

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Its not a movie. But a channel here is showing Roots. I don't think I was even born when it was released here in New Zealand. I believe it came here 1981. Anyway really enjoying it though I guess "enjoy" is kinda wrong to be saying. Kunta Kente/Toby has just had his daughter Kezzie. I found it rather weird the changeover from one Toby to the other. They don't look similar whatsoever. It was quite disconcerting.

I imagine if Roots was remade today it would have a cost an absolute fortune to make.

The same channel has also screened The Thorn Birds, which I absolutely loved. I'm hoping we'll get Roots: The Next Generation. But I'm not sure yet. They're also going to screen A Woman of Substance, Lace, Hollywood Wives and The Far Pavillion.

5. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I've never even heard of that one! Which makes me think of treasures I've found over the years from the public library. I've found so many titles over the years, wonderful movies that I had never heard of. One I got recently was called "The Secret", a 2002 British TV movie. Went looking for a trailer at youtube and someone has posted the whole movie! Here is part one of "The Secret". (It's a dramatic thriller/mystery kind of movie.)

Thanks for the reminder! I had copied that onto video, but ended up throwing up cases of videos when I moved. That one hadn't been recorded on my list of stuff to see, so I've just added it (the Thorn Birds, too.) :D

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Transformers of course, Captain America and Ironclad. Not sure about the rest I will have to think of them a bit more. LOL

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I want to see Horrible Bosses, Another Earth, Harry Potter and Crazy Stupid Love.

8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Calling it a "treasure" would be a stretch :lol: This month TCM is showing trashy B-movies every Thursday night, and there is some great stuff. Here's a still from Queen of Outer Space showing the extravagant production values and great costume design:

http://www.omenaheights.com/queen_outer_space_mask.jpg

9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Now that has to be the worst case of nausea on record. ;)

10. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I can't say that I want to see any of those movies.

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

12. BigB08822

It almost feels like there is a lack of big blockbuster movies this summer. I know there are some but almost ALL of them are sequels. Not even a 2nd movie but we are talking way down in the line of films for that franchise. I am so over every movie going 3-4 deep each and every year. Let's get some new ones out next year, mmmkay!?

13. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Apparently, the world still waits for the definitive film of Winnie the Pooh.

All About Eve was one of the free movies on Comcast until today, and I watched it often enough in high school and college to have memorized some of the dialogue. Alas, save for a radiant Marilyn Monroe and a couple of zingers ("Remind me to tell you about the time I looked into the heart of an artichoke."), the film seems more contrived and less witty with each viewing. Bette Davis was a star, a great star, a true star, and, in this film, :yawn:. The New Look clothes are frumpy, the Alfred Newman score is his usual plenty-of-nothing and, given the element of adolescent wish-fulfillment in the plot where Addison is concerned (the writer who moves his favorite stars around like chess pieces, because he can), even my casual George Sanders fandom no longer elevates the experience for me. There are other problems, but I've whined on for long enough...

ETA: I didn't mean to select a question mark macro for this post. :eek:

14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I want to see Sinbad!

About Ironclad:
    And I feel bad for King John because he is the bad guy in yet another work of fiction. Poor man. He was probably more incompetent than actually bad and certainly no worse than his brothers.

15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:lol: It's better than having them exit the other end! :D

Don't worry. I decided to separate the summer movies into separate threads, so there'll (hopefully!) be lots in August to make you happy. :)

Welcome.

:p

16. falling_dance

As Father's Day is right around the corner, I just watched a version of Hamlet from 1969, directed by Tony Richardson and starring Nicol Williamson, Anthony Hopkins, Marianne Faithfull, and Michael Pennington. It's excellent, with my new favorite performance in the title role (sorry, Derek Jacobi :shuffle:). It's very 1960s, which is cool, but also took getting used to, as I've watched the Kenneth Branagh version a few too many times. I can at least say I better understand the latter's use of a Victorian setting, as that permitted a sweet-and-sour sentimentalism in the characters that's missing in the earlier film.

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Me either. And I know it's not a generational thing - you are much younger than me. Can't get excited about a lot of the new stuff coming out.

They are actually showing it on PBS right now in Philadelphia.

For some reason, Celeste Holm's performance rings false for me nowadays. I think Bette is magnificent in it - half-bombshell, half-drag queen. :lol: It killed me when in an interview, she was perplexed as to why drag queens loved to impersonate her. At least Joan Crawford was in on the joke - she loved trannies who did her.

18. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Blasphemy!

I just watched it the other day and loved it as much as the other 20 times I've watched it.

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Bette OWNS this movie from beginning to end. Everyone else is just furniture.

20. falling_dance

If Sanders and Monroe pall, there's still Thelma Ritter.

Then you, Molly Haskell, and I will meet again in the underworld. :)

Or not. :shuffle:

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:respec: Birdie....although I don't like the way she disappeared halfway through the movie.....I guess by that time, Eve had pretty much taken over.

22. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Celeste Holm was annoying and any interviews she's given about All About Eve ends up with her bitching about Bette Davis.

Oh and I'm with anyone else that can't get excited about new releases. To be honest I've felt that for years now. I love 90s movies and from 2000-2004. But post 2005 and I just don't get most of them.

23. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

I showed it to my mom when I was over for Easter (she was 13 when it originally came out, but lived way out in the boonies, and her mother had no car), and she was laughing all the way through it.

24. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Yeah, I don't like that either, but she's still basically my favorite character in the movie, even more than Margo.

25. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

My Mom will be glad to see Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. She read that book :)

26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I love her in the first Titanic of 1953, when as the Molly Brown-type character, she had the best lines and delivered them with the most flair. That movie had some very biting dialogue in it.

27. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Ok--I know this is a different movie but I saw a Hitchcock retrospective about twenty years ago at a local cinema. I've always loved "Rear Window" but seeing the film with an audience really elevated Thelma Ritter's performance for me. She was such a hoot everytime she was onscreen. And I love the people cast to be the various characters in their apartments from the composer to the dancer to Miss Lonelyhearts...not to mention Raymond Burr. aaahh..the days before air conditioners. ;)

28. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

While I mentioned that the poll lists only July releases, I think studios are (rightly so) afraid to go up against Harry Potter as well as Transformers. And to a lesser extent, Captain America and Cowboys & Aliens. I'm surprised they're releasing Captain America just one week after Harry Potter, because not only is it a Harry Potter movie, but it's the final Harry Potter movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Harry Potter not only keeps Captain America out of the #1 spot, but stays on top for a third week, keeping Cowboys & Aliens from topping the box office chart.

Anyways, because of the lack of "blockbusters", I got to add four movies to the poll which had really good trailers. In order of release date:

1. The Ledge. Good cast, interesting premise and great trailer. If you haven't watched the trailer, give it a shot. And Patrick Wilson is such an under-appreciated actor. Not to mention, very hot!! :grope:

2. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I hadn't heard anything about this movie, and didn't know if had been a book until reading Satellitegirl's post. The trailer is so good, that I'm not surprised they are releasing this movie in July (is July the biggest box office month of the year)? Plus the studio must have such faith in it, that they are putting it up against Harry Potter. (Mind you, it's great counter-marketing as the only thing these two movies have in common is that they look to be extremely high quality and very interesting!)

3. Another Earth. This one came out of nowhere. Fascinating concept. Can't wait to see it!!! :cheer2: :D :cheer:

4. The Devil's Double. Another movie that came out of nowhere. If someone had explained the movie to me, I would have thought, "yuck...have no interest in seeing that kind of movie". But it looks smart and fast-paced and interesting. I didn't even know who Dominic Cooper was, I had to google him - and then thought he was the type to play the nerdy friend. But he looks ready for prime time, especially playing two roles in one movie. Another one to check out (the trailer at least...give it a go!).

29. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

My favorite movie changes from time to time, but right now it's Rear Window. I love everything about it and watch it often.

As for All About Eve, It's another favorite, and I love everything about it except Anne Baxter. Just don't care for her. I often talk my daughter into watching old movies with me, and she has liked all my favorites except for this one.

TCM is showing movies about fathers today, and Life with Father starring William Powell will be on later. A very young Elizabeth Taylor has a small part.

30. BigB08822

They filmed The Ledge in Baton Rouge. I noticed some scenes on the levy and I did a double take. Now that I think about it, I remember hearing about that film. They film a ton of movies here, it is really becoming a huge business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.