Let's Talk Movies #27, the summer edition

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jun 11, 2014.

1. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

How lucky is Zoe Saldana. She plays major roles in three huge money-making franchises: Avatar, Star Trek, GOTG. She's set for life financially.

2. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

Nebula in GotG is played by Karen Gillan, formerly Amy Pond from Doctor Who. She's got a sitcom on ABC this fall with John Cho.

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

LOVED Gaurdians of the Galaxy! Saw it at something called VIP Cinemas and it was fantastic! But ooh-la-la was it ever expensive. :wideeyes:

4. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Glad to see you back Peter!

I saw two movies this weekend. "Get On Up" is one of those movies that jumps around chronologically. I don't usually like that, and this was no exception. I think it reduced the emotional impact of the story and interfered with the development of characters and relationships.

Lucy isn't my type of movie. And a lot of it didn't make sense to me. Maybe I just wasn't using enough of my brain capacity. ;)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

There's a website called Celebrity NetWorth. The other day when I was looking for Michelle Rodriguez info, I stumbled upon it and it said she was worth 30 million. And Zoe Saldana? 14 million. Not sure how reliable this site is though...I figured they would be about the same. I don't remember Rodriguez being in anything really big except for the Fast and Furious movies. And most of the salary money for those I expect went to the male stars. But I checked imdb.com and Rodriguez has been in the two Machete movies as well as two of the Resident Evil movies. And maybe she's invested wisely? :)

:rofl:

6. Nell411

Loved Guardians of the Galaxy! It is so good I actually found myself wanting to watch it again when it was over. Then I remembered how tired I was because I hadn't been home since 9:30 this morning:D. I do think the chemistry between Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana could have been a bit better. But it was nowhere near as bad as the chemistry vacuum that is Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman in the Thor movies so I'm not going to complain.

7. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I watched one of the best movies ever. The kind of film they don't make any more. "How Green Was My Valley." If you've never seen it, you should. The book is good too.

8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

GOTG made $94m this weekend which made that the biggest August NA opening ever and an additional $66m internationally for a total of $160m. Just $10m shy of it's budget. :cheer2:

9. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Last week was a very mixed bag of cinematic goodies for me. First I saw Begin Again, which I rather enjoyed. Not so much that I'll run out and buy the dvd as soon as it's available, but yeah, it's nice. A kind of understated feel-good film that doesn't get overly sugary. And I'm enough of a pretentious hipster to actually want that record Kiera's character made. :lol:

Then I went to a late night screening of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which I hardly think I need to introduce. :p I didn't have time to bring any of the prescribed paraphernalia, but I did bring a rocking outfit featuring knee-high socks, a rather short dress, a corset, epic tranny makeup, and a crapload of glitter (there's still glitter all over the bathroom...). Apparently it's becoming a tradition to screen RHCP during the Stockholm Pride week, so I'm definitely going again next year - and then I'll bring the rice, the newspaper, the piece of toast, and have all the lyrics fresh in my mind. :)

And then I saw Guardians of the Galaxy. I've never cried at any film (no, not even The Lion King), but the first five minutes of GotG were an emotional suckerpunch. And then it shifted into awesomeness, and then into pitch-perfect hilarity, and I was hooked on a feeling. :rofl: In fact I was so hooked that I went back to see it again today (in a theatre with almost 600 seats and like 15 people in the audience. Monday midday screenings FTW!). :D
    You know what's funny though? The characters have all sorts of sadness in their backstories (it's Marvel, after all), but the one that really convinced me was big, beefy, badass Bautista. There was so much barely held back sadness in his eyes that I just wanted to hug him. Can't say I saw that coming!

But apart from that, I love the sense of scale this film brings to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with all the different places and races and people introduced like they've always been there, which they have. (The good thing about not having to make things up from scratch when a film becomes successful enough to get a sequel.) I can't wait for the Guardians to meet the Avengers! (As I hear they might do in Avengers 3.) (I imagine all the blokes will be fighting to establish dominance while Gamora and Natasha just sit back and sip some tea whilst talking about assassination techniques and how men everywhere are idiots.)

Here's a look back at Marvel's Phase 1 and 2 (plus some spoilery GotG footage after 3:50) - and I don't care what anyone thinks about superhero films, whether or not you think of them as anything other than braindead popcorn flicks, you gotta admit that's some epic shit right there. The way the stories are built up, the way they tie together, the way the arcs are mapped out YEARS in advance - has any other studio ever made films in this way? 20 - 30 years from now, will this be known as the Marvel Era? I think it might.

10. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

"Boyhood" was amazing.

11. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

One of my favorites. I watch it every time it's on.

Barbara Stanwyck movies on TCM all day tomorrow. :)

12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

This past weekend, I watched Katy Perry The Movie: Part of Me. So good! Katy is really likeable and I love her grandmother. It also makes me wang to re-listen to all of her songs. Going to one of her concerts would be quite fun, I would think. So much better than Ides of March, where Evan Rachel Wood's character could've learned a lesson or two from Ms. Perry.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  13. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I didn't expect that movie to make me cry like a baby, but it absolutely did. Watching her deal with Russell Brand divorcing her is beyond gut-wrenching, and the moment where she pulls herself together directly afterwards to perform in Brazil is incredibly moving.

14. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I know, right? When she's trying to calm herself before she gets on stage while wearing a truly ridiculous outfit (I mean, pinwheels on her boobs!) was quite touching.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  15. watchthis!!

"That Awkward Moment" ... 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back... :( Multiple times the three male leads tell each other what a**holes they are. Who thought it was a good idea to make a movie about jerks?? The script was awful, I feel bad for the actors (Zac Efron, Miles Teller and Fruitvale Station's Michael B. Vance), but not that bad...they should have known better than to accept this turdy work. They're like 30 year olds going on 15. And the big scene at the end (apparently inspired by the big Tom Cruise speech in Jerry Maguire) is so obvious, so over-written, so over-wrought...over-bearing...

On the plus side there's a couple of nudie scenes of Zac Efron... :shuffle:

16. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that that moment in particular is the magic of editing. Brand sent her the news on New Year's Eve when she was on vacation with her friends, on break from her tour.

I'm sure if the divorce was imminent, she could have been stressing out before the performance, but it isn't the heart-wrenching "OMG my husband is divorcing me!" shock that the movie portrayed.

Editors don't get paid enough. ;)

17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

We saw Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend and really enjoyed it. Great movie and by far my favorite of the Marvel movies so far.

18. michiruwater

Actually, in the movie it never says what he texted her. It just shows her pretty much destroyed over whatever he did send her. I guess I just assumed it was the actual divorce text, but it must have been something else, because you're right, she was in Sao Paolo in September.

Not that it matters, because even without the movie's evidence, all signs indicate that Russell Brand is an absolute asshole.

19. Nell411

I watched my first ever silent movie tonight. It was Charlie Chaplin's Modern Times which was his last silent film. I thought it was amazing. So funny and the ending is absolutely perfect. I watched The Great Dictator, which was Charlie Chaplin's first talking film, a couple of weeks ago and thought it was amazing as well. The Jewish Barbers speech at the end is amazing and so timely, even now.

I have a hard time staying focused on movies when I'm at home, I get very easily distracted sometimes, so I don't know that I'll watch to many silent movies, although I do want to watch City Lights and there's this one Norma Shearer movie from 1925 I really want to watch. But I'm really glad I watched Modern Times. I spent most of that 90 minutes with a smile. I definitely would recommend it to anyone.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Apparently, I am in the mood for documentaries about current pop stars. This time, it's One Direction: This Is Us. Katy Perry's movie was much better. This was only semi-okay. Nice enough boys. The music (which I like--great for running) was performed competently, I guess, just not compellingly. I still wouldn't be able to name each of them right.

21. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

See, I heard that she was the one responsible for the divorce (whatever that means) and a total b*tch. Has it ever been revealed what actually happened?

22. watchthis!!

Here's two movies I think look good that were released this summer but seem to have come and gone without much (any?) attention:

The Signal sci-fi with Laurence Fishburne, Brenton Thwaites, Olivia Cooke
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwgfeR2pMuE

From the-numbers.com:

The Rover crime drama with Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChM2icbWo9w

From imdb.com:

23. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I didn't know about this particular edit. But, I thought the entire thing came across as a very slick, well-edited promo piece for Katy. It can't really be very surprising that a marriage doesn't work well when one spouse is committed to making a movie on a set in one location and the other spouse is traveling all over the world on a tour, even if neither spouse wants to be a parent. Katy came across as a little naive in that area, but maybe she wasn't really naive and just thought she could sell herself by talking about the tremendous effort she made to fly a long distance to see her hubby briefly every couple of weeks.

24. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I won't argue that the movie tries very hard to make Katy look good, but I didn't think they intended to tear down Russell Brand either, who comes across fine in the movie, IMO (it's not like he appeared much in it). In one interview, Katy does acknowledge that she was too naive, but not sure anything will change for her.

25. michiruwater

He wanted to have children immediately and she didn't. She's only 29 currently and this was several years ago, when she was in the middle of an absolutely huge album. They weren't married very long but he basically demanded them immediately and then asked for a divorce via text slightly more than a year into the marriage.
    She admits to the camera during the film when she's jetting off to somewhere to see him that she's trying to make her marriage work, and also states later that she always genuinely believed that when she met the right person, she wouldn't have to choose between him and her career because he would love her and would get it, and that real life doesn't work that way, which makes sense when it was later revealed he expected children right away. Every interview I've watched with him about the marriage he just kind of shrugged like it was no big deal. And who tells someone they want a divorce via text and then never contacts the person again?

He once stated during stand-up that he thought of 'anyone else' during sex, which is just kind of gross. Actually in ever interview I've ever seen of him he's come across as an ass, well before she was with him. I also remember once during their marriage he took an incredibly unflattering picture of her when she appeared to be just waking up and then posted it on the internet for no apparent reason than to humiliate her.

I'll also defend Katy Perry to the end of my days, though, because for some unexplainable reason I have a gigantic soft spot for her. She can't sing very well but she's exactly as good at it as a lot of other starlets who get a lot less flack for it, and better than some of those. She writes incredibly catchy music that I enjoy for what it is. I use her all the time in my class when we discuss being objective about music as someone I objectively realize is not great but subjectively love :lol: And she really does seem like an incredibly sweet, albeit naive, person. She seems to really love her fans to death.

And yes, Brand doesn't actually appear in the movie hardly at all. She said that's because other than the one time he came to see her on tour, he never actually was around so he couldn't have been. The issues with her marriage are filmed pretty much as objectively as possible; they basically just left the camera there to witness the moments but provide very little commentary other than Katy sadly admitted how naive she was at the end. The utter lack of him combined with interviews I'd seen of him later was kind of what made my dislike for him intensify though, when she spends so much time trying to make it work and there's just nothing from him beyond the one tour stop he came to as far as you can see. Obviously it's edited but nothing I've read or seen outside of that medium indicates that any of that was faked.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  26. watchthis!!

Perry and Brand married right after Perry's Teenage Dream album came out. It became a much bigger hit than her previous album, and usually one's follow-up to a hit album brings less success. So I'm guessing Perry was taken by surprise and when she had more success than the previous album, she decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth and took advantage of her newfound success.

I read somewhere the Perry wanted to party a lot during this success. And Brand was in addiction recovery, so Perry went out partying...while Brand did not.

I also heard that Brand wanted children. I see both Perry and Brand as very smart people, so I imagine they discussed the issue of children and when they'd have them. I think Katy thought that as her Teenage Dream faded, that would be the time to have kids. But it didn't fade, she kept having hit after hit after hit. And I think she basically decided that she was too young to give up the fame she had worked so hard for.

In the end, I don't see the point in trying to make a demon out of either of them. They made choices that both seem to be okay with now, even though I'm sure there is hurt still there for both of them. They are both amazingly talented people and I hope they both do well in the future, both professionally and personally. :)

Do you have a link to that article? I find it hard to believe that really happened. I'm guessing he said that as a joke and you and Brand do not share the same sense of humour. :D

27. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Seems that people with spouses overseas can make it work. Note, I'm not sure of the divorce rate of such couples. But it certainly isn't impossible, or unheard of. My cousin is in school in Atlanta while his wife works in San Francisco. They are young - younger than I am. They do miss each other, but value what they have together. They fly to see each other about twice a month.

It just seems like celebrity marriages often don't work when they're apart, because being a celebrity often means you crave attention. And when you're famous with attractive people always throwing themselves at you, it's easy to think that you could do better.

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Changes are coming to the Marvel comics universe that may effect future movies. Those changes includes; a female Thor and a black Captain America.

http://insidepulse.com/2014/08/04/m...thor-superior-iron-man-hulk-s-h-i-e-l-d-more/

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  29. michiruwater

She's said in multiple interviews that she wasn't ready and still isn't.

It was from Katy's famous Vogue interview.

30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:( That one might have been on your radar because I mentioned it a while back...I loved it! I thought all the performances were great and it provided me with a real good cry. I'm just grateful I saw it before my Mom died or I would have ended up seriously dehydrated by the end... :shuffle: