Let's Talk Movies #27, the summer edition

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jun 11, 2014.

1. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

:cheer2:

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I don't need to watch the trailer -- just that cast is enough for me!

3. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

I agree. Actually Toni Collette is enough for me (has she ever been in anything bad??). But on the imdb.com message boards they are being tough on this movie. But I'm not sure how much the opinion of most people who post over there means to me...

4. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Watched two more movies this past week, both of which sucked. Unfinished Song starring Vanessa Redgrave and Terence Stamp--a British mix of Glee and Sister Act, I thought it was dreadful. Then the Clooney-directed Ides of March--oh, what, politics is a dirty business!?!?! Not as bad as Unfinished Song, but bleh nonetheless.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I liked Ides of March. But then it had Ryan Gosling too.

6. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Toni Collette seems to have a knack of having two movies released within months of one another - Hector and the Search for Happiness will be released in late September

7. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

The Into the Woods trailer just came out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNVGDZHRJXM Unfortunately, they don't show any singing yet. I do love the Broadway musical, but it might be a difficult one to adapt to a film.

8. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I want to be optimistic about "Into the Woods," but some of the comments Stephen Sondheim made about changes they made to the plot make me dubious. Plus Rob Marshall managed to destroy almost everything about the musical "Nine." :shuffle:

9. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree. I really wish Rob Marshall was not directing it. Also, it seems like they really softened it overall. I love the Into the Woods Broadway musical, but I don't want to get my hopes too far up for this.

10. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Just got back from seeing Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Quite good, but quite overwhelming. Heavy subject matter for a popcorn movie! At least they set it up perfectly for a sequel, which I am positive will be so much lighter! ;)

11. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I missed you, Peter! I'm glad you're back (and ok).

12. Aussie Willy

Another one who saw Lucy. I kind of understand why the movie went the way it did. Luc Besson is one of my favourite directors so it does have his style all over it. Not your standard Hollywood action movie. Scarlett Johansson is great. I agree with those who thinks Black Widow deserves her own movie.

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Welcome back Peter! :cheer2:

14. watchthis!!

I watched The Dallas Buyer's Club yesterday. Very good movie, I'd say Jared Leto stole the show for sure. McConaughey was good, but to me he always plays himself basically, just different shades of his own persona. Somebody like Christian Bale becomes something totally unlike himself in many of his roles. Imdb.com has zero projects listed for Leto. Moviedom's loss, music's gain. :)

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am sure Leto has no projects by his choice. He has to be receiving tons of offers after winning the Oscar.

16. watchthis!!

So how long do you give this relationship?

Watch Zac Efron and Michelle Rodriguez share passionate kiss and dirty dance in Ibiza nightclub
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/watch-zac-efron-michelle-rodriguez-3949290

And any thoughts about the 36 year old Rodriguez having a 26 year old boy toy? Ibiza is where Orlando Bloom and Justin Bieber got into their would-be fight. So is Ibiza the place to be these days?

17. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Brad Pitt is 11 years older than Angelina Jolie. Just sayin'.

18. watchthis!!

I just read that the best song nomination for "Alone Yet Not Alone" (from the film of the same name) at last year's Academy Awards was rescinded before voting began. It was determined that the composer, Bruce Broughton, "a former Academy governor who, at the time, was an executive committee member of the Academy's music branch, had improperly contacted other branch members for support." (source is wikipedia) That movie, a Christian film, made just over $100,000 at the box office and took a nomination over Ed Sheeran, Coldplay and Taylor Swift. There were 75 songs up for consideration:

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2013/20131216.html

The co-writer of the winning song (Let It Go) from Frozen, Robert Lopez, became one of twelve people to have won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony Award. And he is the only person to win all four within a decade. :respec:

Older man, younger woman...we've seen that a gazillion times. The Rodriguez/Efron pairing is the first time an older actress has dated a younger actor. Well...maybe it's happened once before... :p

19. michiruwater

What a weird thing to say. Obviously it has happened before. And each time, people like you have acted this way. Why is older man-younger woman so acceptable but the opposite is just SCANDALOUS? We're all just people.

Integrity and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

Most of Sandra Bullock's significant others have been younger men. The most noticeable of which was Ryan Gosling. Shirley Jones has been married to a younger man for around 20 years I believe. Juliet Mills (Hayley Mills older sister) has been married to a younger man since the sometime in the '90's I believe. I imagine if I looked I could find more but I'm tired and that takes work. I doubt Rodriguez and Efron will last but there are other reasons for that.

21. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Nice to see you, Peter :cheer:

There's also Hugh Jackman, James McAvoy, Ewan McGreggor :cheer:

22. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

And not just with celebrities :)

23. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

Welcome back! I saw "Dawn" last weekend. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Some great acting, cgi good too.

Last night saw "A Most Wanted Man". Hoffman was fantastic. It was a slow moving film, confusing at the beginning, but then things come together. I've seen a lot of comments about McAdams giving a bad performance. I didn't feel that way when I was watching it. I have a feeling I'll be watching this one again.

24. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

dh is all gung ho to see "Guardians of the Galaxy." Meh. I feel like I've seen enough superhero flicks.

Also feeling like I've seen enough bad movies to last a lifetime; thanks, MST3K. Laser Blast. I don't know who got this film made (released by MGM), but if I had no sleep for a week, ate something that made me monstrously ill, had one crummy camera and people who had never acted before, had no script, and made it all up as I went along, I could STILL make a better movie than Laser Blast.

25. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

I didn't know about James McAvoy and Ewan McGregor. I had forgotten about Hugh Jackman. Tilda Swinton is older than her partner as well.

I'm going to see Guardians of the Galaxy tomorrow after work. I was getting a little worried because there has been so much promotion and I was starting to wonder if the movie actually really sucked and Marvel was pushing it really hard to try and make back the budget before people realized so for once I actually checked the reviews and seeing that people liked it was very nice to see. I've been avoiding a lot of links though because people keep talking about the post-credits scene and I don't want to know what it is. Fortunately the one person I know from work who is seeing it isn't working again until after tomorrow:D.

26. Aussie Willy

Okay I saw Sharknado 1 and 2 last night on TV. Bloody hell they were so bad. Suspension of disbelief doesn't even come into it. Spent my time yelling at the TV "This is so bad". But like any great train wreck you cannot look away. Although maybe it did have something because I watched both.

Although Sharknado 2 did have some good moments. It had Kelly Osborne as an airline steward and Robert Hayes flying the plane (that was attacked by sharks of course). And there was a line about "jumping the shark" after they jumped a shark. And the obligatory jump into the shark with a chainsaw.

27. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I saw "Guardians of the Galaxy" today and I guess I will (again) be the one to not care for what is surely turning out to be one of the biggest hits of the year. :lol: For me, the best parts were the two animated characters of Bradley Cooper (Rocket, the racoon) and Vin Diesel as the tree. I liked Lee Pace as the villain, but like most of the characters he could have used more back-story to be made more compelling. Sadly I thought there was about zero chemistry between Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana. To me, it was kind of like a joyless "Star Wars." :shuffle:

28. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I didn't know Lee Pace is in this! How much screen time does he get? :swoon:

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review! I am hopefully going to see it today. :D

30. michiruwater

He's the main baddie so, a ton. But he doesn't look like himself. I forgot he was even in it until the credits when I was like, oh yeah, Legolas's dad was the bad guy...

GotG was ridiculous, smart, irreverent as hell, and definitely funny. They did an excellent job being absurd while still taking the plotline seriously. The audience was in stitches a few times. The struck the absolute perfect tone for a superhero movie about a green-skinned girl, a talking raccoon, an 8-foot talking tree, a WWE wrestler, and Chris Pratt :lol: Bradley Cooper did an excellent job voicing Rocket, who gets most of the best lines. I don't know if Batista can act, but the role requires a limited sort of portrayal that he pulled off quite well. Groot doesn't speak much, though when he did hearing Vin Diesel's voice was perfect. There were a few moments of sudden, breathtaking beauty in the movie out of nowhere, and all of them involved Groot. I loved him.

Saldana was incredible, as she normally is in action films. I would love to see her take on some more serious roles in decent non-action movies at some point, as she can definitely act, but I also love how much she gives to roles like these. She never holds back, which was part of what made Avatar so good. She can be incredibly lethal and incredibly vulnerable simultaneously. I remember back in the early 2000s when I first saw Center Stage and Crossroads (the Britney Spears movie - I was 12, that's my excuse), and she was by far the best thing about both of them, and I remember really hoping she'd make it big some day. So, good job, Ms. Saldana :)

Chris Pratt was awesome. He committed fully to every single ridiculous thing they asked of him. I can't see anyone else in this role. It should make him a real star. And I disagree with peibeck - I thought Pratt and Saldana had a ton of chemistry.

Lee Pace was excellent, per usual. John C. Reilly is the most versatile actor in show business. Glenn Close is more capable of ridiculous yet understated hair than anyone else in show business and she did a good job adding some gravitas in the final act. I have no idea who the actress who played Nebula is, but she was phenomenal. Utterly perfect. Plus, she looks incredible with a bald head, which is not easy to pull off (and she was blue!). I don't know how much credit she'll get for the picture, since everyone else was firing all rounds as well and Rocket was the scene-stealer, but I hope she gets some serious recognition following this. Michael Rooker was annoying, I thought, for a large percentage of the film, and then he got exactly one incredible scene that was one of the most impressive scenes in the film and I was sold. I know Josh Brolin played Thanos but it's not like you can tell. That character didn't make much of an impression on me. Benicio del Toro got one small scene in which I also didn't take much note of him - I had the impression his role would be larger.

What a waste of Djimon Hounsou though. I mean, he's great every time he's on screen in anything. He's incredibly charismatic. Can someone please fashion a larger role for this man?