1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's Talk Movies #27, the summer edition

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jun 11, 2014.

1. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Is anybody looking forward to watching Boyhood? Despite all the buzz, or maybe because of it, I'm feeling underwhelmed. I'm afraid that it'd become the next Tree of Life for me :scream:

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

^ Love the concept, haven't heard much info yet in terms of actual objective reviews ... so I'm keeping an open mind. But it's the kind of flick I'd probably wait for DVD anyway.

Meanwhile, I just saw a trailer for A Most Wanted Man. It definitely is my type of movie -- even without the extra draw of it being PSH's last starring role. :(

3. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

What we've all been waiting for: the first trailer for 50 Shades of Grey. :p

There is nothing redeeming about this movie since they somehow, inexplicably made Jamie Dornan unhot. Like, how is that even possible? He does absolutely nothing for me as Christian Grey. It's total movie sabotage. I can't be even forced to see this now that the hot guy is not hot anymore. :drama:

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

It looks beyond awful. Not that I expected anything different.

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I want to see Hercules and hope to see it today. :slinkaway

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting us know and I hope he knows he is missed.

7. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I will be watching it next week, which is a long weekend. I love Richard Linklater. I adore his Before series (Dazed & Confused is one of my all-time favourite movies). He's experimental, but approachable, IMO. Terrence Mallick is not all that approachable, although I enjoy some of his movie. I thought Thin Red Line was excellent. I have not seen Tree of Life and have no desire to.

8. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I'm hoping to go see Lucy this weekend. The reviews for it have been mixed but I don't really care. The movie looks like it will be a lot of fun even if there is a ton of scientific inaccuracies. My brother and I are already trying to figure out how we're going to see Guardians of the Galaxy next weekend even though I'm working.

9. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I'm intrigued by Boyhood. I doubt it'll come to our theatre though so I'll have to wait for it to come out on demand.

10. Artemis@BC

Lukewarm reviews for Magic in the Moonlight so far -- this makes me sad, I had high hopes for this film because of the premise and the cast. Probably won't stop me from seeing it, just maybe not in the theatre.

11. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Well-Known Member

I saw a really good movie called The Wall. It's about a woman who goes with another couple to a remote cabin for a getaway. The couple go into town for some reason and when the woman wakes up the next day, the couple hasn't returned. She goes for a walk and walks into an invisible wall. Now this might sound like Under The Dome, but that's the only comparison. She is by herself and has to learn to survive on her on. It's a pretty quiet movie, but it held my interest the whole time. Kind of a thinking person's sci-fi. I definitely recommend it. :) (Oh, and it's a German or Austrian movie, but as all the dialogue is done in voice-over, it's done in English so no sub-title reading for those of you who don't like that.)

12. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

I saw Boyhood at a screener this week. I love Linklater and this movie is definitely his signature, with his play on time and the moments of philosophical musings, and the improvisational rhythm of the dialogue (though we know it is a scripted movie). I think his Before trilogy are better movies - I was more emotionally invested in those characters, and I liked the variation in tone of the Before's. Boyhood is wonderful, but my emotional response throughout the movie remained surprisingly shallow.

13. peibeck

peibeck Into the void

I think it looks good and I want to see it as well. The critics loved "Blue Jasmine," and I have almost no words to describe how much a loathed that movie. The critics only seem to like serious Woody anymore though.

"Lucy" is opening huge in the U.S. but according to Deadline.com the audience score was a "C+" :eek: which is so low it is almost unheard of as first weekend audiences are usually amped up for the movie they are seeing. (Rarely do you see anything below a "B-" even some major stinkers.)

14. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ The most interesting thing is that the same young actor played the main character over a span of years so that the movie actually took that many years to make.

15. watchthis!!

More movie news:

'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' is Greenlit & Dated for Summer of 2017
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/guardians-of-the-galaxy-2-is-greenlit-dated-for-summer-2017/

This movie doesn’t open for six days and the sequel has already been approved. Publicity ploy to make people think this must be a great movie, or can a studio really predict that people are going to fill seats this far in advance?

First Look: Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in 'Batman v. Superman'
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/first-look-gal-gadot-as-wonder-woman-in-batman-v-superman/

Not bad if you’re into that shockingly, stunningly beautiful thing… :p

Comic-Con 2014: Legendary Reveals King Kong Project 'Skull Island'
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/comic-con-2014-legendary-reveals-king-kong-project-skull-island/

So who’s ready for a new version of King Kong?

So is “Moose Jaws” (the moose version of Jaws) really going to be a future Kevin Smith movie?? :eek:
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/kevin-smith-mentions-minor-details-about-upcoming-horror-trilogy/

And now for something completely different…
    Watch: Daniel Radcliffe Causes Chaos in First US Trailer for 'Horns'
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/watch-daniel-radcliffe-gets-devilish-in-first-us-trailer-for-horns/

16. Nell411

I didn't really care for Blue Jasmine. The only thing about it I enjoyed was Cate Blanchett's performance. I'm still looking forward to when I get the chance to see to see Magic in the Moonlight. Even if the movie does suck there are a lot of people I enjoy in it so that should be good.

17. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Hates both vegemite and peanut butter

I caught up with this today. Had to travel to see it because it is only on at one cinema here. You would think it would get a wider release.

I agree with what you say. You really just had to sit there and go for the ride literally. For an action film it didn't treat the audience like idiots. I liked Chris Evans and Tilda Swinton. She particularly is such an interesting actress. Will never look at shoes in the same way again. :)

18. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

20. Artemis@BC

Interesting. I enjoyed the Before series, but had pretty much zero emotional connection to them -- I loved the concept, and enjoyed the dialogue between the characters on an intellectual level, but felt absolutely nothing for them as people.

BTW, for what it's worth, Jon Stewart was effusive in his praise for Boyhood when Linklater was on the show earlier in the week.

21. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Saw the trailer for 50 Shades of Grey; first off, I'm in mourning for Jamie Dornan's facial hair. And I'm shocked that they somehow managed to make him look less hot.

Second, I'm convinced that Beyonce's new version of Crazy in Love will be the actual star of the movie.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Nell411

I just saw Lucy. I enjoyed it until about the last 20 minutes of the movie. For a movie that already requires an extreme suspension of disbelief the ending is just beyond ridiculous. But is starts so well and maintains the momentum well, right up until the climax of the movie where it all just kind of... stops. It was frustrating because the movie is so close to being something really awesome. even with the inaccurate science.
    Scarlett Johansson was amazing though. I hope that Marvel looks at how well Lucy has done this weekend though and sees that people will pay to watch Scarlett Johansson in an ass-kicking movie and make the Black Widow movie. They've been kind of dancing around it and saying that they want to do one but nothing else really. I want a proper Black Widow movie.

lmarie086 I am in complete agreement with you about Jamie Dornan in 50 Shades. Without the facial hair he just looks weird. He's so much hotter with the beard.

23. watchthis!!

I also saw Lucy this weekend. I really liked it! :kickass: I agree that the ending was a little lacking, but the more I think about it, the more I think it does fit altogether. It's just such a big subject matter, that it's a tough one to bring about to a conclusion that will please everyone. I really enjoyed Scarlett Johansson, when her name appeared onscreen in the opening, I could hear a little cheer throughout the theatre. :D The article I posted a few days back about this weekend's box office said that Lucy would take in more than 30 million, maybe even over 35 million. But the-numbers.com lists the box office take at 44 million! :respec:

Fighting in high heels? No problem! FULL of wonder, that woman!! :lol:

24. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I actually saw Boyhood this weekend. Loved this, I doubt I will see a better movie this year. Patricia Arquette NEEDS to win Best Supporting Actress!

And any Texans, please tell me where Ethan Hawke and the son went camping. I would love to visit one day!

25. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Before movies are better, and as the dust is settling and more Boyhood reviews come in, Before Sunset has taken back its rightful place as Linklater's best reviewed movie ever. Still Link might win his long overdue Oscar for Boyhood. It's a shame he didn't win for either one of the last two Before movies but artists rarely win Oscars for their best work anyway.

26. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Begin Again - I was a little surprised at how little Catherine Keener and Hailee Steinfeld were used throughout (they could have added a little more to the backstory to provide more context to Ruffalo's never-give-up idealism). Also interesting that the music throughout has much more of a mid-late 1990s vibe to it than anything that would've been released for mainstream audiences in the 2010s.

It's always been difficult for directors who are (frankly) ahead of their time to gain the recognition they deserve in re-shaping the way audiences comprehend and consume movies. Contrary to some of his peers, I think the passage of time is going to prove Linklater to be a historical reference point and movies like the Before Triology to be Exhibits A/B/C for future generations.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  27. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I preferred the Before movies too (I would rank it thus: Sunset, Sunrise, Midnight), but I don't think Boyhood would be any less deserving of an Oscar *this* year. Besides the concept (which *is* cool), the film's 12-year time span, time length, inclusion of certain time landmarks (which made me feel *so* old--I mean, Harry Potter book buying parties!), lends itself a more epic sweep than the usual Linklater movie.

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw Hercules this weekend it was pretty good. They sort of dropped hints that he may not actually be the son of a god which I thought was a neat twist to this tale. Worth watching. :respec:

29. Artemis@BC

30. watchthis!!

Two trailers for movies that came out the last few months...that I never heard anything about:

A Long Way Down - comedy drama with Pierce Brosnan, Toni Collette, Imogen Poots, Aaron Paul and Sam Neill
    Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyhfZZupU7c

All Cheerleaders Die - comedy horror thriller with an unknown cast
    Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vIvyff3XMo

It's weird how so much money goes into promoting just a tiny fraction of the movies that are made... :( There was a movie I checked stats for a while back (can't remember which one), but the movie's budget was 25 million and the print and publicity budget was 42 million. Almost double to advertise what it took to make the movie! :eek: