Let's Talk Movies #27, the summer edition

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jun 11, 2014.

1. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

Just watched a movie called Devil's Pass, also known as The Dyatlov Pass Incident. I'd guess you'd classify it as a supernatural dramatic thriller horror mystery. :lol: It's actually a smarter movie than we're led to believe as it starts off with a group of people who you start hoping will get killed off quickly - which soon enough does happen...thank you! :D The story is quite simple for the first half, so when it kicks into high gear all of a sudden, you don't think you need to pay attention and then tons of ideas are thrown at you that you're not expecting, so they go over your head. Weird way to set up your movie. I see from imdb.com that it's directed by Renny Harlin, who had early success with Die Hard 2 and then apparently tried to kill his career along with his wife's by directing her in Cutthroat Island and then The Long Kiss Goodnight. He also direct the bomb from January of this year, The Legend of Hercules. I'm sure this movie is better than that one, but it's like it had two different writers for the first and second half of the movie. Recommended if you want a popcorn movie and have a nice air conditioned place to watch it. :)

2. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

You guessed it :). Tom Hardy :kickass:

Saw "Snowpiercer" last night. Liked it. Some of the fight scenes could have been shorter for my taste. Jamie Bell seems to be everywhere these days! Good for him. Tilda Swinton was a little over the top - no matter, love her.

3. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I saw Begin Again last night with Keira Knightly, Mark Ruffalo, Adam Levine, Catherine Keener and Halee Steinfeld.
    Really good, enjoyable movie. Loved the music, great story line. I highly recommend. Now to go download the soundtrack!

4. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

I saw Begin Again today and I have to agree with smurfy. The songs were great. :) I loved the movie! Surprised by Keira's singing voice, I really enjoyed it.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Can't remember if I posted this but I watched Aftershock because some of you recommended it. Gripping movie but I found myself angry that the mother put so much blame on the daughter and the daughter just took it and even apologized. Maybe it is just the cultural differences and I am watching from a completely different perspective than the characters.

6. watchthis!!

Three movies watched this weekend:

Philomena was as brilliant as I thought it would be. BUT...
    I thought I read somewhere that she found her son alive, so when the story went along the lines of her son having passed away I though, oh...red herring! That's not the son and then after going through that heartbreak, they'd fine her true son was alive and well. But NO...that WAS the song and he WAS dead. WAAAAHH!!!

Simone with Al Pacino was all right. One I picked off the shelf at the library and had some moments. Not torn about that there was never a Simone II, though. :D

Lost Horizon from 1937 was one I heard about or read about recently and the library had a few copies so I gave it a shot. Quite good for it's time, but seemed a little flat compared to the flashy pics of today.

7. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Saw Dawn Of The Planet of the Apes today. A lot of blockbusters have absolutely hit it out of the park this year, and here's another one. Seriously, go see it. It's wonderful. My only pet peeve is that there is 1 token female character, and just like the 1 token female character of the first film she's a healer. Can we please move away from stereotypes more quickly, please?

8. watchthis!!

I found Diana (with Naomi Watts and Naveen Andrews) to be completely heartbreaking. So much of her story that I had no idea about. The film focusses on the last few years of her life as her divorce is finalized and she begins a new relationship. I'm sure not every detail was 100% factual, but movies like this don't aim to be documentaries, so I expect dramatic license. So we end up with a modern-day tragedy...so crushing - but so well-done. I don't know why this movie didn't do well at the box office. It's much like The Iron Lady, but I'd say Diana is a much better movie. So glad I got to see this one, one of the best I've seen of late.

9. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I watch Transcendence today... So much potential, unrealized :( The premise is thought provoking and raises a lot of questions worth thinking about, but the execution of the movie - pacing, focus, etc is a let down for me. They should have compressed the first hour of the movie to maybe less than half that and expand more on the second half. I think that would make a more compelling movie.
    I hate that the anti-technology terrorists won in the end, making the world so much worse for everyone :mad:

Ah okay, that makes sense :lol:

Integrity and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Saw Jersey Boys tonight. Really good. You just cannot help but tapping along to the music.

I had no idea that Joe Pesci was involved with them at the start.

11. watchthis!!

Went to see Deliver Us From Evil today. Was pretty disappointed. It's a well-made movie, but one where large houses and police stations use two lights in the whole place in order to invoke the "fear of the dark" thing many people have. Such an obvious device, nobody really lights their places this way, they'd be bumping into furniture every five minutes! :lol: Plus it got so much into the Exorcism-Of-The-Week storyline, it seemed like an extended advertisement for the Catholic Church. Eric Bana brought the pretty, however! :D

12. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Well I got to watch half of "Lawrence of Arabia" last night. Glad it was the half I liked the best. No I'm not telling which that is lol.

13. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Hee hee - beautiful movie - but soooo long. And I love David Leans' movie otherwise. And such a pretty Peter O'Toole!

I saw 'Sex Tape' last night - it was fun - Diaz and Segal are very good and very funny together. Hope they got along well in making this movie - otherwise it would have been a horrible job.
    It is a fun, silly movie, not oscar worthy - but laughed a lot.

14. Aussie Willy

I saw Sex Tape too. I think Diaz and Segal were good together but it was only okay for me. Rob Lowe's character was quite funny.

15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

One of my favorite movies of all time, and pretty Peter O'Toole indeed. Haven't seen it in ages, though :( "You have a funny sense of fun."

16. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I watched Wrinkles last night. Heartbreaking and beautiful, a real gem. Makes me want to go find the graphic novel on which it was based.

(imdb doesn't have the English dubbed version up, just the Spanish one. The English voices are done by Martin Sheen and George Coe, who were both fantastic -- esp. Coe)

17. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

p.s. Still no word from Peter? Has anyone heard from him?

18. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I've been wondering the same thing. It's been months now, and that worries me. Peter, if you're lurking, please let someone know.

I saw Begin Again this weekend. It was pretty good, though I don't usually like it when movies jump back and forth chronologically. Has anyone here heard Keira's live singing? I'm wondering if she's any good.

19. michiruwater

She hasn't performed live as far as I know. She did sing in an earlier movie, The Edge of Love, in a 20s style with a ton of vibrato. From what I've heard this film showcases a very different style of singing but independent films are nowhere near where I live in Phoenix. I'll get there if I can :) I love her.

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw Planet of the Apes Friday and liked it very much. Highly recommend it . :respec:

21. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

He's had some personal stuff going on so he's taking a bit of a break from the board.

I saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes today and like Buzz, enjoyed it a lot and definitely recommend it. My brother and I were debating after what they will call the next one. I'm also kind of wondering if their going to follow up the third movie with another attempt at a Planet of the Apes remake.

22. watchthis!!

Not a movie, but others have talked about tv shows they've caught on DVD, so I give a humongous recommendation for The Fall, which stars Gillian Anderson. It's just five episodes, so you can get through it probably quick. And you'll probably want to set aside five hours because I found this really hard to turn off when I had to do other stuff. Anderson plays a higher-up in the police force brought in to deal with an unsolved murder. And then another occurs, she believes a serial killer has begun a killing spree. The writing of this show is beyond incredible and I loved Anderson's portrayal of her character. Her co-star is a very attractive guy who imdb.com tells me is the star of the upcoming movie...50 Shades of Grey. :eek: But don't hold that against this show, it's amazing! :lol: (His name is Jamie Dornan by the way.)

23. michiruwater

And he was wonderful in Once Upon A Time as well. I was so bummed when he took the 50 Shades job.

24. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting us know.

I saw "Edge of Tomorrow" today. I think it's just not my kind of movie. It dragged for me, and I was confused by the ending.

25. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I like Planet of the Apes too :) The apes look amazing! For CGI apes to be conveying that much emotion... :kickass:I think this is a good second installment and really makes me look forward to the next movie.

I finally watched Black Swan recently. While I think it's pretty good, I don't get all the rave reviews :shuffle: My favourite Aronofsky's movie is still the Fountain.

26. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Saw Planet of the Apes and it was very good. The CGI is just incredible and you can't even tell it isn't real. It could have been people in suits with incredible makeup jobs. It was just so real. My only complaint was that the conclusion was pretty darn obvious from the first 10 minutes so I felt the entire movie was just me waiting for the inevitable. Maybe they could have found a way around that but since it also appears to be setting up a 3rd movie, perhaps it was the only way.

27. watchthis!!

Brighton Rock is a movie I got from the library after seeing a trailer for it on another DVD. The trailer was better than the movie, but the movie itself was fairly decent. I believe it's based on a Graham Greene novel, a movie of it was made in the early 60's maybe but possibly couldn't be made as authentically as they might have hoped for because of the times. Well, that's what I got from the DVD extras! :lol: The movie's about a young guy who's part of a group/gang that "protects" local store owners for a fee. And then the mafia or a more organized group comes in to take over. Helen Mirren is the biggest star of this one, but the movie is mainly about the young couple and their relationship. It's a somewhat dark movie, so not something to check out when you want some light entertainment. Like...

The Lone Ranger. I braced myself for this to be terrible. It got trashed so much when it came out and it's actually a fine movie. The two leads handle themselves quite well and there's some really interesting action scenes and some enjoyable cinematography. I liked it. :)

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

29. watchthis!!

Movie news:

Box Office Preview: Female Action Pic 'Lucy' Looks to Slay 'Hercules'
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-female-action-720628

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Set to Marry … Onscreen
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/brad-pitt-angelina-jolie-set-720222

'Pirates of the Caribbean 5' Set for Summer 2017
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ww.hollywoodreporter.com/movies?latest_news=2

How Marvel Became the Envy (and Scourge) of Hollywood
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ww.hollywoodreporter.com/movies?latest_news=2

'The Giver': Why It Took 20 Years for the YA Adaptation to Hit Theaters
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/giver-why-took-20-years-720350

30. Aussie Willy

Looking forward to Lucy. I really like Scarlett Johansson and she makes a :kickass: action woman.

Don't know about Pitt and Jolie as a married couple on screen. Love them individually but hated Mr & Mrs Smith.