Let's Talk Movies #27, the summer edition

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jun 11, 2014.

1. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Unless the Weinstein's produce a movie, they generally don't open them wide these days. But believe me, if it does well in limited release they will move to widen the distribution. It's never going to be in 4000 theatres like "Transformers," but hopefully it will be close enough to you eventually that you're able to catch it in a movie theatre.

I'm proud to say I haven't seen any of the "Transformers" movies. I've boycotted anything Michael Bay directed since he managed to put out three of the most stupid summer tent-pole movies ever: "Armageddon," "Pearl Harbor," and "The Island." :scream:

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I saw the preview for this on the weekend. Could either be really really good or really really crap. I did like the scene at the airport. I will wait and see what the word of mouth is after it comes out before going to see it.

3. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I'm hoping Snowpiercer does make it here eventually. Grand Budapest Hotel made it here after about a month so I'm hopeful.

I didn't realise The Island was Michael Bay until around the time Transformers came out. I have no idea why it took me so long but it did. I wanted to like The Island, I've been a fan of Ewan McGregor's for ages but that movie is really just very boring. It's not even that it's bad, its too boring to be bad.

lmarie086 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Nan

Nan Just me

I don't expect it to be much more than special FX, so I'm probably not going to be disappointed. ;) It just looks like it might be a fun summer flick.

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Tammy looks like Melissa McCarthy doing her same ol' schtick ... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. :D Plus there's Susan Sarandon.

6. Aussie Willy

I really like Melissa McCarthy. She was really funny in the heat. Plus I saw her on SNL and she was hilarious. And that says something when SNL can be so hit or miss.

7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

From what i've seen of MM work on the small screen, I do not find her appealing at all. It seems like she's popular for being a fat chick who isn't afraid to do outrageous physical comedy. Chris Farley became popular for that, but Farley actually had a child like charm to him. I find MM charmless.

8. Artemis@BC

I find her very charming. The "schtick" I was talking about tends to follow the same path in her movies: outrageous physical & bawdy comedy that's masking a vulnerability that eventually comes out. Identify Thief was probably the best example of this, and was a movie I enjoyed even more than I expected to. I think I'll grow tired of this formula at some point, but I'm not there yet.

(As for her small-screen work, I've only seen a couple of episodes of Mike & Molly and haven't been at all impressed, but I loved her character in Gilmore Girls.)

9. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I don't disagree with what you said, I just want to give them the benefit of the doubt :shuffle:

It really was beautiful. The first one had them too :cheer:

10. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

That Mockingjay teaser - gave me chills. Can't wait.

11. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I saw 'Chef' with Jon Favreau. Great movie, very entertaining. A little predictable, but well done, the kid that plays Favreau's son is cool. Do not go if hungry. Also stay through the credits - clip of someone training Favreau cooking. Oliver Platt and was great, and I will not tell, but I love plays Sofia Vergara's first ex husband - and a great scene with Favreau. Highly recommend.

I also saw Malificent - I really enjoyed, way more than I thought, but my expectations were low. Not the best movie, but fun. But so violent and scary at times - not sure if for kids. But so many Disney movies can be scary.

12. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I have never seen a Transformers movie, but I went to this one because a friend and I were bored and we figured why the hell not.

It's atrocious. It's one of the worst films I have ever seen, and everyone tells me this is the best one. We debated walking out 2 hours in when we were both unbelievably bored and it just seemed to be getting louder, but we were in the middle of our row and didn't want to irritate everyone. It's without a doubt the single dumbest film I have seen in years. It also contains this absolute gem of an exchange:

"Do you have a warrant?"
    "My FACE is my warrant!"

At least that made me laugh pretty hard. Sadly, no one else in the theater laughed except my friend.

And then, at the end of the film, a bunch of the audience actually applauded. It was horrifying.

13. Aussie Willy

I enjoyed this too. Just a really nice movie. The food looked great. I thought Sofia Vergara was so lovely. Her beautiful personality just shone through.

You can't leave a movie until after the credits these days. There are always extras for those who sit all the way through.

I have never seen a Transformers movie and have no desire to see one now. Even Marky Mark who I really like wouldn't get me there.

14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Finally saw 'The edge of tomorrow'. Very interesting movie. I am not really into action movies, and toward the end I got a little sleepy when the action sequence seemed too long to me, but overall it was a very interesting concept and well delivered by everyone- the actors, director, and the CGI seemed necessary, rather than gimmicky.

15. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

Re: McCarthy

Me either. I did enjoy Chris Farley, however.

16. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

Even though I prefer Mark Wahlberg to Shia LaBeouf, I'm sure I'll find that new Transformers as awful as the previous ones. Yes, I've seen them all, because lil bro (who's 10) is a Transformers fan (sighs).

Anyway, on my flight to Abu Dhabi, I took the time to watch some films: Robocop, Pompei and Dallas Buyers Club. The little screen probably didn't help but I enjoyed none..

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I have not seen a Transformers movie, ever, and based on the comments I am reading, I am not likely to see the latest version either. :)

18. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I've only seen 5 minutes of the first one, but I think that was enough. Your review made me :rofl: !

19. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I have time this week and really want to watch something, but the movie choices are underwhelming... I would usually watch a blockbuster, but gave up on the transformers and didn't watch the last one, so this one is out. It's either Chef, 22 jumpstreet, or repeat of either HTTYD or X-men :rofl::shuffle:

20. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

If you enjoyed 21 Jump Street then you'll probably like 22 Jump Street. It's fun and funny and doesn't take itself too seriously. I really like Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum together. They have great chemistry. But it's certainly nothing other than a fun summer diversion.

21. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I didn't watch 21 Jump Street :shuffle: I gave up on comedy a long time ago, because they are such a hit-or-miss.

22. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

I have three movies to recommend:

Mary and Martha, an HBO film starring Hilary Swank and Brenda Blethyn. This one is about two women who spend time in Africa for unrelated reasons but whose life intersect after tragedy...and how they both take action to prevent future tragedies to happen to others. A one hankie movie that I recommend. Also stars the uber-cute Sam Claflin.

Queen To Play, a French drama starring Kevin Kline and an actress I don't think I've seen before, Sandrine Bonnaire. Turns out she's been nominated eight times for a Cesar (France's Oscars) and has won that award twice. This movie is about a woman who cleans hotel rooms as well as people's homes and...the game of chess is introduced to her through her working life and she finds she has a real talent for the game. This movie is a real charmer and has a quiet depth to it that feels very enriching. I highly recommend this one. Some beautiful scenery, too.

Aftershock is a Chinese language movie I read about in Entertainment Weekly. I believe when it was released, it because the biggest grossing movie in the history of Chinese film. I thought it was going to be a popcorn flick about an earthquake, but it's more a drama of the lives of a family separated and eventually reunited. This is a really good movie and it includes a few scenes which pack a major whallop, so hopefully you've saved some Kleenex from watching Mary and Martha!!

I also saw Closed Circuit with the uber-hot Eric Bana. It was a really good movie...but ended with a thud. Biggest disappointment I can remember in regards to how a movie ends. It stumbles to a finish when I expected a bang. I still recommend it for the first 3/4 of the movie, though!! :lol:

23. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I watched this a few weeks ago. It's a lovely, quiet film. I would recommend it :) Sandrine Bonnaire is wonderful and so reserved. Kline does the whole thing entirely in French and is, as usual, fantastic. The whole thing is quite understated. Good for a quiet afternoon alone.

24. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

"Snowpiercer" expands to 250 theaters beginning today, so those of you who wanted to see it should be on the look out.

Wide US/Canada releases opening today: "Tammy," "Earth to Echo," "Deliver Us From Evil" (with watchthis! and my's hottie Eric Bana... and the equally dreamy Edgar Ramirez) and the "documentary" (*cough*) "America." All are getting rather dismal reviews.

In limited release is "Life Itself" a documentary about movie critic Roger Ebert which is getting raves. Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ud1HUHgug

25. Artemis@BC

Of those four, Aftershock was the only one I really loved. Extremely well done, very powerful. I liked Mary and Martha mostly because I like the two leads so much -- the story itself however felt like a movie-of-the-week. Not terrible, but not the best HBO has ever done. Queen to Play was pretty good, a nice quiet film that's gorgeous to look at, but I thought it had some pacing problems. And ITA with your assessment of Closed Circuit -- the ending really let down an otherwise good thriller.

26. Artemis@BC

Definitely looking forward to that one, but will probably wait for DVD. I prefer documentaries on DVD because there's almost always tons of extra footage that doesn't make it to the theatrical cut.

27. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Aftershock was awesome. I v v highly recommend it.

I am DVD-access-less again due to the arrival of the 70 inch tv from hell. I am so deprived feeling I would watch transformers and nit bitch and am almost....almost desperate enough to waste my free movie pass on either Godzilla or the moms club. Almost. But nit quite lol.

Oh god I miss my old home and library!! I never realized how wonderfully easy it all was....til now . SIGH. WHINE. MOAN.

28. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

Yes, Eric Bana is quite hot :p
    I thought the end was coherent and realistic. Would have been disappointing to have another "easy" ending IMO.

Then, I watched Transcendence, which has some really good ideas in it, but I didn't get into the movie..

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  29. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

Just finished "The Air I Breathe" which is one of those four-in-one type movies where you've got 30 minutes of one story and a character from that gets their own story for 30 minutes and so on until the last story ends with that character running into the main character from the first story. I assumed each story was in chronological order, so it didn't make sense when the last character ran into the first character. Apparently I should have been taking notes. It was a fine movie though, very much an all-star cast. Let's see who I can remember: Forrest Whittaker, Brendan Fraser, Andy Garcia, Emile Hirsch, Sarah Michelle Geller, Julie Delpy, Kevin Bacon. Probably a few more, but that's off the top of my head. This one's a flick you'd see if you love somebody in the cast and you see it sitting on the shelf at the library waiting to be borrowed for free. :D

30. Artemis@BC