Let's Talk Movies #27, the summer edition

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jun 11, 2014.

1. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

I watched Pain & Gain last night with a friend, it was not as much as a comedy as I expected. But a very well done movie still. Sort of a black comedy/psychological drama, done in the most farcical way possible. (Farcicial is a word, right??) :lol: Quite amazing that it was based on a true story. So much so that about 2/3rds of the way into the movie, a caption appeared on screen: "Still Based On A True Story". :rofl:

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Saw 22 Jump Street. Probably gave me the best laughs of any movie I have seen in a while and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was literally cracking up, which many movies of late, even the funny ones, haven't really done for me as much as this. Hill and Tatum are very funny together. And the voice of Archer (H Jon Benjamin) has a cameo.

3. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

"Her" was kind of sad. My guess was that the reason the OS held such appeal was that all it really was was simply an unacknowledged part of the person now revealed to themselves, hence the intense sorrow when the OS went away, because that was what the person would like to do too as the society lifestyle looked pretty fcking boring and limited. V interesting commentary on a possible near future. Recommend.

4. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Me too. I loved the show and have really been looking forward to the movie version. Now I don't know.

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Finally saw 'The fault in our stars'. It didn't disappoint. Very touching love story, with young actors. Shaileen Woodley should get Oscar nom for best actress, IMO. She was terrific.

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

So have I, but I'm going to see it anyway. I just want to see for myself how it turned out. Didn't make it this weekend, but I probably will next weekend.

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it is so funny. I absolutely loved the first one and died laughing the entire time. However, the previews for the sequel just don't look as funny but hopefully they just saved all the best parts for the movie. From your review, it seems they have! I will be checking this out, then!

8. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Do go. I haven't seen the first one so I actually had nothing to compare it to. There is some really funny stuff that wasn't in the preview.

9. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I finally saw Maleficent today and quite liked it. Angie was amazing, as expected, and I was quite impressed with Elle Fanning as well. The storyline wasn't perfect but it was a far more cohesive plot and much better than what I was actually expecting. The special effects were too much and I hated the fairies, but I would definitely say it's worth seeing.

The Edge of Tomorrow was way better, however.

10. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I'm probably going to Edge of Tomorrow on Sunday. Unless Snowpiercer actually makes it here but I doubt it will this weekend since it's a limited release. Neither my brother nor I are really fans of Tom Cruise but Edge of Tomorrow is supposed to be one of the best movies of the summer so far.

11. zippy

zippy Active Member

Glad you enjoyed it - I haven't seen it yet but want to as I've known the author of this book for a long time and it's cool to see his success. I have to admit I wasn't too crazy about the novel though and feel bad for not loving it, but it is what it is. I also hated "A Walk to Remember" and it's sort of in that vein. Is the TFIOS movie similar to that Nicholas Sparks atrocity? :) I'm glad to hear the young actors did a good job though!

12. Vash01

No, it's not like the Nicholas Sparks "atrocity" - LOL. It's a little different from 'A walk to remember'. The only thing they have in common is a young person with a terminal disease. The approach is quite different. There are lighter moments, and sad moments. Shaileen (sp?) really carries the movie. The young male actor Ansel ... seems to be new but gives a good support. I thought Laura Dern was overacting initially but later it became clear why she was doing that. Anyway, it's not for everyone.

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I thought A Walk to Remember was awesome. The two places at once scene--fantastic!

14. watchthis!!

Just watched Lone Survivor (Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch). Really well made, intense at times and emotional at others. I definitely recommend it.

15. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

A friend and I were in line for a special movie screening but didn't make it inside. The screening company gave us free passes to see whatever movie we wanted that night though, so we saw How To Train Your Dragon 2, so it was well-worth the trouble. :lol:

It was well-made and had good pacing and great action scenes, but we were both disappointed that the awesome
    long lost mom
    amounted to basically nothing in the second half. And Hiccup's change of heart in the end wasn't convincing to either of us.
    My friend wanted Hiccup to give Astrid the chieftain duties, but she did basically nothing but further the plot in this movie too. :lol:

But hey, it's a kid's movie and we couldn't think of a recent animated kid's movie that didn't collapse into predictable formula at the end. I joked that they were so much trouble to make, that they just try to minimize the length of it as much as they can. :lol:

But the dragons and the sheep were SO worth the watch. :cheer:

16. michiruwater

I would have been really happy if that's what he'd done at the end, too. She was clearly the better choice for it anyway.

I loved the movie, though. It was incredibly well done, I thought. The only thing that really bothered me was the coloring - the bad dragon was darker than all the others, the bad guy was also African-looking... it made me quite uncomfortable. There was a group of incredibly talkative kids behind us, and halfway the movie one of them said, totally innocently, "you know that's the bad one because he's black," when his friend was confused.

17. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Sadly, this happens all the time. If it isn't colour-coded (or accent-coded) bad guys (remember The Lion King?), it's ethnic stereotypes -- stuff that would be hard to get away with in a live action film, it's amazing they still exist in animated films. Do the makers really think that kids, who live in a much more diverse world than probably the filmmakers did/do, won't be able to take characters at face value?

Pretty staggering to hear that kid's assessment though. I would hope that a parent would take the time after the film to use that as a teachable moment.

Gender stereotypes are finally starting to be whittled away in animated films, it's past time for the racial stereotypes to go the same way.

18. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I totally agree... I love this movie. The pacing is really good. It was able to do what Thor:TDW couldn't - gave proper amount of time for the tender/sad moments before cutting to jokes. It's not perfect, but I like the plot as well. The visuals are beautiful.

Maybe this will happen in the next movie :lol:

I think Light = good, darkness = evil has more to do with religion (angel/devil) rather than racial stereotype. As for the bad guy being African-looking, I think they're going for savage, Neanderthals look, but unfortunately the hair ended up looking like dreadlocks...

19. watchthis!!

Just watched The Devil's Double, about Saddam Hussein's son Udah and the double that was recruited to cover events and dangerous situations for him. Dominic Cooper playing both Udah and Latif (the double)...amazing acting. He definitely should have been nominated for best actor (maybe twice for both roles!!) at the Academy Awards. I would have voted for him over Jean Dujardin in The Artist.

20. michiruwater

Movies have used the light/dark dichotomy to enforce racial stereotypes for generations. This doesn't excuse it. It's lazy and demeaning.

The bad guy was darker-skinned, had dreadlocks (I don't see how you could say that they 'unfortunately ended up looking like them', they were clearly actually dreadlocks), and had an African-American voice actor. I don't think it was a mistake. Everyone else was a very white character with vaguely Scottish-esque accents (though some characters had weird Scottish/British/Australian/American hybrid accents, which was a problem in the first film too), even the characters working for him. There was no explanation given for the fact that he was darker-skinned with dreadlocks.

Also, I doubt the parents of those kids said anything worthwhile to them afterwards, because they let them (loudly) talk through the whole damned movie and never once did they ask them to shut up for the rest of our sakes. I really wish I'd said something.

Oh, and I didn't mention - if you go, stay for the credits. The credits show all the concept art, which is incredibly beautiful.

21. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Saw Edge of Tomorrow. It rocked! I went back and saw it again the next day and enjoyed it even more--wears well over time IMO. The storyline was interesting, the acting good, lots of action but didn't seem boring or endless, no real gore, was pretty funny throughout, had new plot revelations throughout so wasn't just mindless action. I highly recommend it :)

22. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

HTTYD2 opens next week here, I can't wait to see it! In 3D, even though I usually don't like it very much. It's just that every time I rewatch the first film I find myself wishing I'd seen the flight sequences in 3D, so this time I'm going for it. :)

I didn't like Maleficent very much. It contained the elements of a great story, but it was so messily put together that it just left me going "meh". Edge of Tomorrow was great fun - it could've been messy, and super confusing, but it wasn't. Same thing with Days of Future Past, which I almost didn't see simply because the trailers were so befuddling, but then the buzz declared it good, so I saw it, and it was.
    The most recent film I saw, Tracks, was more straightforward though: it was the true story of a young woman who walked across the Australian desert together with four camels and a dog. Definitely not a "popcorn flick", but worth seeing on a big screen anyway, thanks to the great outback vistas.

Coming films I want to see (apart from HTTYD2): Begin Again, because Mark Ruffalo; Guardians of the Galaxy, because EVERYTHING; And Snowpiercer, because Chris Evans - although so far it seems that one won't be opening anywhere at all here in Sweden. :(

In other film related stuff: The Swedish HQ of all things geek, the Science Fiction Bookstore, celebrates its 30th anniversary this year, and are therefore putting on an actual, proper ball in August. I'm going, and I've already started working on an epic, badass ball gown inspired by this guy. It's going to be AWESOME! :D

23. Nell411

I'm hoping Snowpiercer makes it to my small corner of Alberta but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll just do what I did with The Grand Budapest Hotel and keep checking the website just in case it does make it up here. I'm either going to How To Train Your Dragon 2 or Edge of Tomorrow on Sunday. My brother and I haven't decided what we want to see more yet. They were both on the list of movies we want to see but aren't stressed about missing. Now we actually have to decide.

24. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Can't speak for Canada, but "Snowpiercer" opens in only 8 theaters in the U.S. tomorrow.

"Transformers: Age of Extinction" is the only U.S. wide release (and runs an astounding 165 minutes.) :eek:

I also would recommend "Edge of Tomorrow," one of the better sci-films in the last few years.

"Malificent" did nothing for me, but I did think the movie looked cool and the costumes were great. It seemed quite obvious that the script went through a myriad of writers.

25. Artemis@BC

I thought the correct collective noun to use was "a worship of writers." :D

26. Nan

Nan Just me

27. Vash01

I hope to see Edge of Tomorrow this weekend, despite a very busy schedule

28. Nell411

I suppose its small consolation, we get the whole movie instead of the hack job that Harvey Weinstein wanted to make it in to. He bought the distribution for Snowpiercer in english speaking countries and then wanted them to cut 20 minutes out. They finally got him to let them not cut the 20 minutes but they only got a limited release and against Michael Bay's explosion fest. I really wish the Transformers movies would go away.

I liked Maleficent but I expected it to suck from the time it was announced. So then I just enjoyed the excellent work of the CG people and how pretty it looked and Angelina Jolie chewing scenery.

I keep hearing Edge of Tomorrow is one of the best sci-fi movies in recent years which is why I'm leaning towards that for my movie this weekend.

peibeck and (deleted member) like this.
  29. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I saw "Twister" and promptly forgot it, like most popcorn flicks. :lol: This preview is pretty much special FX, so hard to tell if there will be anything else in it worth watching. This preview was in front of "Edge of Tomorrow" when I saw that, it didn't seem to generate much buzz from the audience.

The teaser for "Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1" was released yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCB2U9lX48

lmarie086 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Artemis@BC

Ok, who else got chills? Especially at seeing
    brainwashed Peeta.