Let's Talk Movies #27, the summer edition

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jun 11, 2014.

1. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

Two movie recommendations:

August: Osage County was amazing! Great script, wondrous performances. Can't recommend this one enough! :cheer:

The Fifth Estate (Benedict Cumberbatch as Julian Assanage, also stars Daniel Bruhl). Seeing these two movies so close together has made me a big Cumberbatch fan. He's quite amazing, want to see if he can do comedies now in addition to his incredble dramatic work. :cheer2:

2. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I think "tree of life" is one of those films you have to be in a certain state of mind/feeling to watch and if you're not it pretty much sucks. I liked it but only as an every-now-and-then kind of film.

I don't want to see any of those summer movies. Not even for free on my free movie pass.

Library did not have "her" or "gravity"- settled reluctantly for "american hustle" and something I'd seen a preview for "red lights" which is not about hookers or traffic signals.

3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I liked this movie more than I expected to -- it's definitely better than the 6.1 rating it has on imdb. And although Cumberbath is indeed great (and the main reason I wanted to watch this film), Daniel Brühl was equally excellent in his role.

But mostly I liked the ambiguous shades of grey the movie paints re: Assange. It's a great movie to discuss afterwards.

4. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I freaking loved Tree of Life. One of my favorite films. I remember defending it on this forum when it came out :lol:

5. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

Went to see The Fault In Our Stars. Great movie worth seeing but bring your tissues.

6. immoimeme

"Red lights" was TERRIBLE. Not even gd enough to be a made for tv movie. Really really BAD. one of those hey we all got a paycheck films. Gah. I want my hour and 45 min back!!!!

7. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I saw a 20th anniversary reissue of 'Queen Margot' - french movie with Isabelle Adjani, Vincent Perez. Daniel Auteil and Virna Lisi (as Catherine de Medici). Great, entertaining, strange, at times disgusting movie. Set in 1572 - with badly behaving royals, violence, sex, power plays, murder(s) and intrigue. The cinematography, set design and costumes were great - felt very real. In a way the story is confusing - but oh so entertaining. One interesting thing with the reissue - I remember the original - at the end had a summary that eventually Henry of Navarre became Henry IV and what happened to Margot. No summary at the end. Interesting that they would do that. Movie was in french with subtitles. I had read up on that part of history when I originally saw the movie. My buddy that saw the movie with me the other day - did not know of St Bartholmew's masacre - so she was confused at the end without the summary.

8. watchthis!!

I saw Maleficent today with friends. Because people were saying they were disappointed with it, I lowered my expectations. Didn't need to, it's a WONDERFUL movie. The effects are beautiful, I loved the whole story, great performances and I personally feel Jolie should get a best actress nomination for next year's Oscars.

Another good movie is Twenty Feet From Stardom, all about what life is like for background singers. One discovery that I'm grateful for is Tata Vega. I've been listening to her songs on youtube and she is amazing!! :respec:

9. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I also saw Maleficent this weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I ended up liking it. In addition to the special effects and performances, I thought it was an interesting allegory.

I keep meaning to watch Twenty Feet From Stardom. It's on my viewing list.

Nobody has heard from Peter? Maybe he's house hunting? I hope he's okay.

10. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I PM'd him last week but I haven't heard back yet. I don't have another way to contact him so I was hoping he had it set up so that he would get PM notifications in his e-mail.

11. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I saw "Ender's Game". OMG, it was never-ending.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I think I'm in the minority on Maleficent. I found the story weak and most of the characters problematic (not to say teeth-grindingly, hair-pullingly, mind-bendingly stupid).

Jolie's performance was very strong, though. And there's no doubt her cheekbones are the ninth wonder of the world. :D The whole thing really felt like a showcase for her.

lmarie086 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Can't believe Mrs Brown's Boys D'movie is getting a US release. :rofl: :eek: :scream:

And it's a British production. Nothing Irish about it at all. Yes, sireee. :slinkaway

14. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I mostly liked 20 Feet. I agree that Vega is amazing, as is Lisa Fischer, and I loved hearing the stories of the "older days." Where the movie lost me though was the heavy emphasis on that younger singer (Judith Hill) in the last 1/4 or so of the film -- I found her to be whiney and ungrateful for what many only dream of ("Oh, woe is me, I deserve to be a lead singer but no one sees me as anything but a backup singer.") I didn't even like her singing all that much. Ugh. I guess they wanted to show a present-day situation but it really detracted from the story for me. But still a great film. And the soundtrack album is worth checking out too.

15. michiruwater

I saw The Edge of Tomorrow yesterday. Really exceptional sci-fi action flick. I would highly recommend it!

16. Allskate

But, a lot of people (and apparently fairies) are weak and stupid. There are plenty of people who let ambition corrupt them. And plenty who pursue vengeance at all costs, even if innocent people pay the price. letting feuds go on for generations and within entire nations or regions. And how many people fear and hate those who they don't know or understand? There are lots of stupid people in this world.

17. Wyliefan

Stupid enough to let a hungry baby cry all night without once thinking "Oh, maybe she needs to eat"? Or stupid enough to give a baby to people who are that stupid? Even in a fairy tale movie, it beggars belief.

18. watchthis!!

:lol: You guys talk about a fantasy-fairy tale as if it was a historical drama. You know Maleficent is not a sequel to Sophie's Choice, right?? :p

19. Wyliefan

Yeah, but I didn't think it was supposed to be a sequel to Dumb and Dumber, either. ;)

20. Wyliefan

delete

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  21. immoimeme

I loved "queen margot." I was v sad when due to space consideration I had to let it go. It is strange mainly I think because it's history far removed. The politiks were pretty awful and bloody and not all that subtle for sure. But it's an interesting and engaging story.

Niw, everyone who ever watched a reaaaalllly bad film because a reaaaalllly goid actor was in it raise your hand. I did that last night: Paul bettany in "priest." I guess this was once a graphic novel or comic book? Well it made a crap movie but bettany kept the level of his acting like he was playing Shakespeare. Too bad the other actors couldn't then maybe I could have watched the whole film instead of giving up 3/4 way thru. If you want to see a *good* paul bettany film try the one where he portrays Charles Darwin. I think Jennifer Connelly is in it too.

22. moojja

moojja Active Member

If the fairies in the movie are more based on traditional folk tales, then I can see them being stupid enough or rather weird enough, that they don't understand babies crying means they're hungry. (In some folk tales, fairies cries when they are happy. It causes problems for the human men who are stupid enough to marry them.)

23. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

It was a disappointing movie :(

I'm with you. :D

I expected it to be a prequel of sort to Disney's Sleeping Beauty. Instead, they decided to totally change the story :/ Why would a nice fairy have Maleficent as a name? Were her parents being ironic? I guess I was expecting a darker story - the story of a real villain (maybe something like Macbeth? :rofl:). After all, the original fairy tale was pretty dark - containing rape and cannibalism :shuffle:

I like it too :40beers: The domestic box office seems grim though...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  24. Allskate

I didn't realize you were referring to such minor characters as the little fairies. But, yeah, if such minor things are going to ruin a movie for someone, then movies based on fairy tales probably are not for them. I mean, how stupid was Little Red Riding Hood?

But, I think very few people who have seen Maleficent would find it comparable to Dumb and Dumber. :lol:

25. watchthis!!

Just finished American Hustle. A well-made movie, but I'm not a fan of anti-hero movies. The best part of American Hustle is a DVD extra, the uncut version of Jennifer Lawrence lip-synching to Live and Let Die. Amazing!!! :respec:

26. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^I wasn't as impressed with American Hustle as a lot of people seemed to be. I thought it was a decent movie but I don't think it was deserving of all of the hype it got. I did love Jennifer in it though...granted I'm a pretty big Jennifer fan so, she can do no wrong in my eyes. :p

Saw two movies this weekend: How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Edge of Tomorrow. Both were great.

HTTYD2 was really excellent. I loved the original one and I think they did a great job with this one. Lots of funny parts, a few sad parts, loved all of the flying scenes and the story they came up with was really good as well. Definitely something I'll buy when it comes out. I really wanted to see it in 3D in IMAX but just had to settle for 3D...still excellent though.

I didn't really want to see Edge of Tomorrow but that's what my dad chose to see for Father's Day. It was a good choice. Really great sci-fi movie if you're into those kinds and actually pretty damn funny. :lol: If you've seen it you know what I'm talking about. It was a really good movie and I'd recommend it.

Next movie on my list is Lego Movie. It should be hitting Redbox in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'm supposed to be catching up on the Iron Man movies. I've seen the first one, but I need to see the second one (I DVRed it when it came on FX a week or two ago) and then I can finally watch The Avengers before going on to the Iron Man 3 and the second Thor movie.

27. immoimeme

I found American Hustle to improve vastly by using the fast-forward button.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

We watched Jack Ryan last night. Wow, what an awful movie. Horrible script and some pretty horrible acting from people who typically do better. I am going to blame the director on that one. The female lead was just, I don't know, unusual to look at. Like, she should be pretty but none of the shots they chose for her were flattering in the least and they always chose shots of her making really odd faces. Maybe she pissed off the director.

29. michiruwater

Jack Ryan was pretty... boring. I rented it right after I saw your review because Keira Knightley is the lead female and I was very confused by what you said because how do you make Keira Knightley look bad? And I honestly didn't agree with that part. She's not as gorgeous as she usually is, and I'm not sure why, but I don't think it was nearly as unflattering as all that, and she's still beautiful. Chris Pine, who is similarly good-looking, also wasn't quite as attractive as he usually is. Again, no idea why.

But yeah, Kenneth Branagh shouldn't direct action flicks. He's much better at creating tension amongst characters than in action sequences. I think there were a lot of things that could have gone well that were just boring instead. The script was imperfect, but I think they could have done a lot more with it then they did.

30. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

Now I'm trying to decide if Jersey Boys is worth seeing. I've read a lot of critics who pan it.