Let's Talk Movies #27, the summer edition

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I won't even presume to take Peter's place but we're definitely needing a summer movie thread. No poll, no trailers, just a thread to get the talk going.

Jump St, Dragons, Jersey Boys, Return to Oz, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, What If, The Giver ... what are you most looking forward to?

On my list:

Jersey Boys -- I've missed this on stage a few times (the story & music didn't entice me enough to pay the $$) but I'll definitely see the movie version.

The Giver -- loved the book, and I think it could make a great film.

Magic in the Moonlight -- Woody Allen's latest, with Colin Firth and Emma Stone, set in 1930s England and about psychic frauds ... what's not to love?

The Hundred Foot Journey -- looks like Chocolat with Indian food, and stars Helen Mirren, I'm there.

I'm also interested in the Planet of the Apes, How to train Your Dragon 2, and Obvious Child, but will probably wait for video for those ones.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I want to see Words & Picture (Juliette Binoche and Clive Owen)- I saw the trailer

3. Artemis@BC

And if you're looking for an alternative to the summer movie offerings of CGI-overloaded 3D action films and romcoms aimed at 20-somethings ... this one might fit the bill for you: The Grand Seduction. I saw it last night, and found it very entertaining.

It's not terribly original -- it is in fact a remake of a Quebec film from about 10 years ago, La Grande S├ęduction, aka Seducing Dr Lewis -- and it has all the familiar elements of the quirky-small-town-characters-band-together films we've seen over the years from Britain, like Local Hero and Saving Grace and Waking Ned Devine.

But it's funny and sweet, and its charm overcomes the predictability of the plot.

Plus it's a gorgeous Newfoundland setting, and a cast of familiar Canadian faces: Gordon Pinsent, Mary Walsh, Mark Critch, and Cathy Jones, to name a few, as well as Brendan Gleeson as an honorary Canadian doing a very passable Newfie accent.

I have no idea how widely this one is being screened outside Canada, though.

4. Artemis@BC

Yes, that does look good, doesn't it? I think it might be pretty limited release, though, so might be hard to find on screen.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2380331/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Another one that I saw a trailer for last night was I Origins. It's written & directed by Mike Cahill, who did Another Earth, which I absolutely loved (and stars Brit Marling, whom I also love). This looks like another "what if" kind of film with lots to talk about.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2884206/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Transformers and Guardians of the Galaxy :cheer2:

6. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Everyone I've talked to said Maleficient was really good. IDK if I'll see it in theaters but I will see it at some point.

I'm planning on going to see How to Train Your Dragon 2 this weekend. I want to see it in IMAX 3D. I'm not big on 3D or IMAX for that matter but I want to see this one in that format. I feel there are certain movies you can actually get more out of or enjoy them even more if they're on a bigger scale and I think this is one them. I remember the reviews of the first one comparing the 3D scenes to some of the flight scenes in Avatar (which were awesome) so I definitely plan on checking it out in 3D if I can. Plus the first one was so good, I'm excited to see what grown up Hiccup is like :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I still need to see The Fault in Our Stars, but of those mentioned in the OP: How to Train Your Dragon, The Giver, and The Hundred Foot Journey.

8. Artemis@BC

Don't limit yourself to that list! I only listed a handful of summer movies of which I'm aware, that's by no means a comprehensive list.

(p.s. Peter! Come back! All is forgiven!)

9. lmarie086

Oh, I realize that! I just haven't gone to look at what else is coming out. :lol: You gave my list a good start though! :)

10. Artemis@BC

11. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

The Giver looks really interesting. I'm thinking I may need to give the book a look but I will be watching the movie too. I'm also looking forward to Magic in the Moonlight and I Origins but those I'll have to check out when they hit Netflix or iTunes. Woody Allen and Brit Marling movies both tend not to make it here. I'm really excited for Guardians of the Galaxy and Scarlett Johansson's Lucy looks like it could be good as well.

12. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I saw the fault in our stars and recommend it. Even the bf liked it and he is picky. But I cried - CRIED - the whole last 30 minutes.

13. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I've heard really good things about The Grand Seduction. It won't be coming to the theatre near me though so I'll have to wait.

14. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am really looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy. The previews had me cracking up.

The trailer is out for Dumb and Dumber To. I know the first one was really dumb but it sure was funny. I laugh until I cry every time I watch it and I have seen it countless times. I don't expect the sequel to touch the first one in the laughs department but I will say the trailer has some promising moments. Some other parts were a little over the top but hopefully they don't go too far for most of the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGXHVlEklgQ

15. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Where is Peter? I hope everything is well with him...:summer:

I watched a couple of movies this week... Moonrise kingdom, Darjeeling Limited, Upside Down and Edge of Tomorrow. I also attempted to watch Tree of Life and failed :eek:

Upside down... Beautiful world. The love story is kind of meh... I wish they would just explore the two worlds and expand more on reverse gravity condition. I love the reverse drinking scene and the goldfish in a blob bit. I enjoyed the movie once I stopped thinking about the "science"/logic behind it.

Darjeeling Limited. I think I adore this movie :lol: Stylish and silly and parts of it totally reminds me of my relationship with my two sisters... (Keeping secrets from one sister, wondering if we'd be friends if we're not siblings, etc etc)
    Moonrise Kingdom. Ed norton is :cheer: and some parts are funny, but I like this one a bit less. I have to say, Wes Anderson's cinematography really improved in the Grand Budapest Hotel.

Tree of Life. I watched this movie because I love Darren Aronofsky's the Fountain and people said that TOL is very similar. I got to the 1 hour mark and just couldn't continue. To me it feels a lot like going to a church, listening to a prayer while looking at beautiful slideshow of images with religious background music. :scream:

Edge of Tomorrow. It was fun and had good action scenes.Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt played each other nicely. Good popcorn flick :cheer: The whole time reset thing does bring about the grandfather paradox though. I'm a little ambivalent about the ending...

16. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

DAngel - Edward Norton seems to be :kickass: in all of his performances. Just re-watched "American History X" last week. I want to watch "25th Hour" again this week.

I didn't like "Tree of Life" at all either.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I hated Tree of Life. A few people actually walked out of the theater after about one hour (or may be less). I was considering walking out too, but stuck through till the end. It didn't change my opinion that it was a horribly boring movie and did not deserve all the praise it received, except for Brad Pitt's performance. He was great.

18. Artemis@BC

I really, really, really hated Tree of Life. I forced my self through to the end just because so many people had raved about it, but by about the 50 minute mark I was reading a magazine at the same time.

If I hadn't had such high expectations I might have at least been able to enjoy the spectacular visuals ... but as it was, ugh. At least I got it from the library and didn't waste any money, just time.

19. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I found Tree of Life so boring. Visually pretty, but after awhile that got old.
    A local AMC theatre does a 2 day marathon on the 2 Saturdays before Oscars showing all Best Picture Nominees every year which I have gone to for a few years now. Lots of the same folks go every year
    I had already seen TOL, so left for a nice dinner, to avoid seeing it again. In the 2 years since - TOL has been mentioned as a benchmark for boring. Comments like ' not as bad as TOL' hee hee

Artemis@BC - I so agree about expectations - really impacts what one thinks of a movie.

I loved the original 'Seducing Dr Lewis' - almost afraid of seeing a remake.

20. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Nice to see others also finding TOL boring. I couldn't understand the raves it was getting. I wasted my time and money but I don't regret it because if I had not sat through the entire movie, I might have had some doubts, like may be there was something interesting later. The visuals were spectacular but at times there was too much of those, and quite tiring on the eyes. I agree that TOL is a benchmark in boring movies that were nominated for Oscars. Outside of that, I am sure there are worse movies (though I can't imagine it- LOL)

21. Artemis@BC

I remembered really liking Seducing Dr Lewis ... but I didn't remember anything else about it, so The Grand Seduction was like a whole new movie for me. :D If you're going to do a English-language remake of a foreign-language film, waiting 10 years seems like a good plan to me!

It's also worth nothing that it's the same screenwriter for both movies, Ken Scott. He did the same thing last year with Delivery Man, which was a rewrite of his brilliant French-Canadian film Starbuck from a couple of years ago.

22. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

Below are the major movies releases listed at wikipedia. The list seems small, surely there are more big movies coming out this month?? The only one I listed a trailed for was one I hadn't heard about, it's a British import, so not sure how well it will do. But the trailer was really funny!! :lol:

June 6th The Fault in Our Stars - Drama - Shailene Woodley, Ansel Elgort

June 13th 22 Jump Street - Action, comedy - Channing Tatum, Jonah Hill, Ice Cube

June 13th How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Action, animation, fantasy - Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Kristen Wiig, Kit Harington, Djimon Hounsou, Cate Blanchett

June 20th Jersey Boys - Drama, musical - Christopher Walken

June 20th Think Like a Man Too - Comedy, romance - Kevin Hart, Regina Hall, Gabrielle Union, Taraji P. Henson

June 27th Transformers: Age of Extinction - Action, adventure, sci-fi - Mark Wahlberg, Kelsey Grammer, Stanley Tucci, John Goodman, Ken Watanabe

June 27th Mrs. Brown's Boys D'Movie - Comedy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yEy1zPEhyc

23. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

American History X is a :kickass: movie.

Thank you Integrity, Vash, Artemis, Smurfy :cheer: Good to know we're all on the same side ;)

24. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

25. Artemis@BC

I've seen a few episodes of the TV show, and it works in small doses. I'm not so sure about a full-length movie though -- but the trailer does look promising.

26. Artemis@BC

Speaking of musical biopics, I saw the trailer for the James Brown the other day. It stars Chadwick Boseman -- let's see if he's as good as James Brown as he was as Jackie Robinson. :cool:

Get on Up - August 1

27. Artemis@BC

A few generic-sounding action films (good grief, Guy Pierce, aren't you tired of those yet?), as well as these:

All Cheerleaders Die - Jun 13
    High school comedy/satire.

Third Person - Jun 20
    An "interconnected storylines" movie, starring Liam Neeson, Olivia Wilde, James Franco, Casey Affleck, and Mila Kunis. (Happy to see Liam Neeson in something other than an action role for a change!)

Venus in Fur - Jun 20
    I saw the play of this -- it was very stagey, I'm not sure how it will translate into film. But it could work. And it's Roman Polanski.

Yves Saint Laurent - Jun 25
    French, biopic -- focussing on his early days.

They Came Together - Jun 27
    Romcom with Amy Poehler, Paul Rudd, and Cobie Smulders. 'Nuff said.

28. Artemis@BC

re: How to Train Your Dragon, my favourite movie reviewer, Eli Glasner, interviewed Jay Baruchel (Hiccup) and asked him what he thinks about during his "scenes with" Toothless in order to be able to feel that connection, since of course he's not interacting with another actor. Jay said he thinks about his cat, Mary Minou -- who is not entirely dissimilar to Toothless. Awww! Makes me like Baruchel all the more.

Picture of said kitty here.

29. kwanfor2006

kwanfor2006 New Member

I watched How to Train Your Dragon 2 at a screening last weekend. It was great! The animation was visually spectacular. I really enjoyed it, even more than the first one. I would definitely recommend watching it in the theaters.

30. lmarie086

^ I just got back from seeing it! It was amazing! Seriously, I went in with some pretty high expectations- unlike with Maleficent, I was not disappointed. The animation was incredible and it had a great storyline. I'm already planning to go see it again. :)

And Toothless is still the most awesome, cat like dragon ever. So many giggles.