Let's Talk Movies! #26: Some Muppets, Noah, Captain America...and GODZILLA!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Mar 1, 2014.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. March 14th - Veronica Mars - Mystery with Kristen Bell, Jamie Lee Curtis, and James Franco

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. March 21st - Divergent - Action Sci-Fi with Shailene Woodley, Kate Winslet and Ashley Judd

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. March 21st - Muppets Most Wanted - Comedy with Ricky Gervais and Tina Fey

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  4. March 28th - Noah - Drama with Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  5. April 4th - Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Action with Chris Evans and Scarlett Johansson

23 vote(s)
    48.9%
  6. April 11th - Rio 2 - Family Adventure with Anne Hathaway, Jamie Foxx and Rita Moreno

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. April 18th – Transcendence - Sci-Fi Thriller with Johnny Depp and Morgan Freeman

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  8. May 2nd - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Adventure with Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  9. May 16th - Godzilla - Sci-Fi with Elizabeth Olsen, Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  10. May 23rd - X-Men: Days of Future Past - Sci-Fi with Hugh Jackman and Jennifer Lawrence

19 vote(s)
    40.4%
  11. May 30th - Maleficent - Fantasy with Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning and Sharlto Copley

29 vote(s)
    61.7%
  12. May 30th - A Million Ways to Die in the West - Comedy with Seth MacFarlane and Charlize Theron

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

It was parallel universe day/night on cable today. Started off with "rabbit hole" which I had seen before but couldn't remember if Susannah ohs character was pregnant or not.....then remembered her character was in "under the Tuscan moon".... which happened to be on hours later. Robert de niro appeared in two different films simultaneously running against each other. Then tmc featured two peter weir movies back to back and after marveling over the utter wtf strangeness that is "picnic at hanging rock" for the umpteenth time I had to skip what I knew was even stranger and mysterious "the last wave."

2. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

I am really excited for "Maleficent". Even if the movie sucks, Angeline Jolie looks amazing and I think she'll make it enjoyable no matter what. I just hope I'll get the chance to see it. There are a lot of movies coming out that I want to go see, which I usually try to see with my brother. I don't think he'll want to see "Maleficent" though so I will hopefully be able to see it solo. Or if I can find a friend who is willing to see it with me.
    I have one who might but she's a relatively new friend and I don't know how she feels about Angelina Jolie. I have one friend who despises Angelina Jolie to the point of refusing to go see "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" with me even though she was only in 3 scenes. I had no idea before that point that people had such strong opinions about Angelina Jolie. Then I discovered the internet.

3. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

i think it's a combination of 3, angelina was a rebel 10/12 years ago, the other one she was labeled as a home-wrecker with the whole brad/aniston saga and the other one is that she has all, successful career, family, and she's probably one of the most famous faces in the planet.. combined all that it's human nature to hate someone..

4. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

The video is set to private (according to my phone), fyi. :( I'll try to find another link to put here.

5. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

That does make sense. I grew up without much in the way of TV. It was what we called "peasantvision" because the only channels we had were CBC, CTV and french CBC (which is really useless when you don't speak french). Then between being in a very small town with only a 2 screen movie theatre and my very over-protective parents I didn't see movies with any of them until probably around the time that the whole Brad/Jennifer thing happened so I was just getting into the internet by the time Branjelina became a thing. I just saw a really good actress and humanitarian and kind of stuck with that I guess.

6. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

"Neighbors" should easily win this weekend.

I was super hyped about "Godzilla," but I feel the publicity train has lost a little steam in recent weeks. I enjoyed the movie though, although it didn't feel super "epic."

"Maleficent" looks great and as a PG movie should kill at the summer box office.

Of course, sandwiched in between is "X-Men" which will survive the Brian Singer drama. For the record, these parties are the worst kept secret in Hollywood. If you ever hear about pool parties with young guys and drugs you always think either Singer or Kevin Spacey.

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Finally saw Belle and loved it! Definitely worth seeing. :cheer2: Still want to see Godzilla next. :shuffle:

8. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

Movie news time.

Chris Evans wants a first-class upgrade on the 'Snowpiercer' train – VIDEO
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/05/09/chris-evans-snowpiercer/

Unwashed, but still super-hot!! :grope:

Casting Net: Rebel Wilson for 'Private Benjamin' remake
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/05/07/casting-net-wilson-james/

Other casting news from this article about Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tilda Swinton, Vera Farmiga, Evan Rachel Wood and Jennifer Beals.

Gerard Butler exits 'Point Break' remake
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/05/06/gerard-butler-exits-point-break-remake/

Umm….what made him think that was a good move in the first place??

Matt Damon on returning to 'Bourne' series: 'I've always been open to it' – VIDEO
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/05/06/matt-damon-bourne/

:mad: And here I was ready to go all :cheer2: for an official announcement!! :soapbox:

9. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I watched Kill Your Darlings on DVD over the weekend -- about Allen Ginsberg's days at Columbia, his first associations with Jack Kerouac and William Burroughs ... and the murder case that tied them together. It was pretty good overall: Daniel Radcliffe is continuing to show what range he has as an actor, and Dane DeHaan does creepy like no one else. Admirable acting and writing throughout, though I did think it was lacking an emotional focus.

10. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

OMG, you know what, I saw the Snowpiercer a few months ago and somehow just didn't think that unwashed guy was Captain America. He's much much hotter when he's dirty!!

11. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I finally saw 12 Years a Slave. Wow. That movie was pretty amazing. Difficult to watch but totally worth the discomfort. I never felt that the violence was gratuitous in any way and in some ways it was lot less graphic than I expected. Incredible acting and completely engrossing story.

12. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Seeing The Winter Soldier again this weekend. It'll be the third time, but it's the first time I'm seeing it with my geekiest BFFs, so it'll be awesome. Again. :rollin:

13. Artemis@BC

Just heard that Malik Bendjelloul, the director of Searching for Sugarman, has died. He was only 36. Way too young. :(

14. watchthis!!

I saw a really good movie last night called The Kings of Summer. The young cast are all new to me except the guy who played Laura Linney's son in The Big C. It was great to see him in a different role where he's not so sulky! :lol: Two of the parents of the guys are played by Megan Mullaley and Nick Offerman. I really liked the script, the story is a lot of fun and it doesn't even seem like a "teen movie" because it's so well done. Everyone is the cast is really great and the young man who played Baggio (or whatever his name was) will be a breakout star some day, mark my word!! :D

:(

15. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Another death, this one a legend: HR Giger.

16. Artemis@BC

I really liked that one too, nice twist on the classic coming-of-age story. The three young leads were all excellent, I expect great things from them in the future. And some unconventional parts for the familiar faces in the adult characters. A real sleeper gem.

17. watchthis!!

Kidman's New Look Raises Eyebrows As Grace Of Monaco Is Slated At Cannes
    https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/news/grace-of-monaco-gets-slated-at-cannes-124223429.html

What a pile of crap these people are. It's one thing to critique a movie, but somebody's face? Never mind the fact that Kidman looks perfectly normal. (Actually GREAT for a 46 year old.) It's disgusting that the media keep dumping on women like this, but RARELY do the same for any men... :soapbox:

18. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

I loved "Perfect Sense" too (love Mc Gregor and Green and the screenplay was really good). I haven't seen "Last Night", but it sounds good. Will have to check it out!

Watched Spiderman 2 tonight. Ludicrous opening and shall I say throughout. I don't know why I'm still hoping that they would come up with something creative when all they can do is the same poor stuff, over and over again.

Related to Spiderman, we now have one in the Disney studios in Paris. I think the costume, though uncomfortable to wear, looks quite good ^^

19. Artemis@BC

ITA. I so rarely see an article about any female star that doesn't make some kind of sexist comment ... but this is a particularly bad instance.

BTW, have you seen this? Tabloid headlines without the sexism. Rewriting celebrity "news" in a way that underlines the point that there's nothing newsworthy at all.

20. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

While your point definitely stands, Nicole Kidman's face is noticeably different than it looked even a couple of years ago. I know she has never confirmed any long term botox use, her face kind of looks more like a mask. She still looks like herself but she almost looks like she's wearing a mask of her own face. The Berry has a bunch of older pictures of her for comparison.
    I miss when her face could move properly. She used to be one of my favourite actresses but her face is kind of off putting now. It just doesn't move.

21. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I caught the last hour of Rosemary's Baby on NBC:

Besides Zoe Saldana's acting, it was kind of meh. They tied in more action and special effects, whereas the original Polanski film in '68 dealt w/ horror on a more subtle, psychological level. Rosemary's husband played by Cassavetes in the original was also a lot creepier than the current actor.

I don't know why they chose to actually show the baby. In the movie, I have no idea why they chose Paris as the setting. Perhaps to be different? Also, the 2-part series was missing Ruth Gordon

22. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I would call those headlines sexist. Most of them don't mention men, but they certainly are...infantile? Unfortunately, they seem to get the clicks which is why the tabloids still use them. :(

I've seen the same kind of headlines when Shia LeBeouf goes out looking like a homeless person. It's just that female celebrities have such a tiny space in which to look "presentable" and anything below that is somehow unacceptable.

I agree. But it's an odd thing when we criticize a woman for aging, then criticize her for trying "too hard" to stay young-looking. If anything, I would limit the talk to it affecting her acting. Maybe it doesn't matter to her (or anybody!) since she's still working and getting nominations, but the fact she can barely move her eyebrows does limit her acting range.

23. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

True enough. I know I tend to treat men the same way as women in that regard, but I'm a woman and I'm only one person. I think in Kidman's case she seems to get more attention for her frozen face because she is still making big movies and trying to do big projects like Grace of Monaco (which had problems besides how much she can move her face.) I remember reading a behind the scenes interview/article thing for Rabbit Hole that stated she had stopped using botox for the shoot so she could play the emotions properly.

24. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Those photos of Nicole span something like 20 years--of course her face has changed! Maybe if they spanned something like 20 weeks or 20 days, it'd be different.

25. watchthis!!

I saw a wonderfully sweet movie last night called The Brass Teapot. It stars Juno Temple and Michael Angarano as a young couple who come across a teapot which has a life-altering ability. It's basically a fable which is fun and funny at times but with a (not too) dark edge at other times. I highly recommend it. It also stars Alexis Bledel and if you don't recognize the name Michael Angarano, as soon as you see him you'll say, "oh yeah, I know that guy!!" :)

Fun video with this article:

Batman And Superman Get The Steamy Gay Hollywood Treatment
    http://www.queerty.com/batman-and-superman-get-the-steamy-gay-hollywood-treatment-20140515

Hmm...it would make for an interesting twist to see Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck snog for a bit...! :lol:

26. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I watched The Spectacular Now, which apparently got a lot of raves at Sundance. It's not terrible--about a popular boy dating a less popular girl. The lead actor is basically a carbon copy of John Cusack, which is not necessarily a diss. The actress (she's in those Divergent movies) was quite good--a textbook example of those girls whose entire lives orbit around a boy. Among recent precious teen movies, I preferred The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

27. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I would hardly say that Amy's entire life revolved around him. She continued to be a hard worker and aimed toward her goals consistently while he was off being an idiot. IIRC, didn't she invite him to come with her while she went to college, and when he chose not to went anyway? I don't see at all how you came to that conclusion.

28. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I suppose I should give her kudos for keeping up her grades while drinking all the time, but if Sutter even once suggested that books are for twerps, she'd have ditched her studies like a Russian ice dancer. Her going to Philly when he ditched her at the bus station is hardly a sign of inner strength. If he came to the bus station and asked that she ditch college and stay in town with him (I mean, she was going to ditch her college dreams because of her mother), she'd have stayed put like a good Shibutani.

I have no idea how the character of Amy can be considered some role model. Yes, deleted scenes are not necessarily "canon" but have you watched them?

29. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I haven't no, I just got it from Red Box. And it was an okay movie, nothing I would want to watch the deleted scenes for.

30. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Forget her face; I miss that glorious curly red hair she used to have.