Let's Talk Movies! #25: McKellen, Meryl, DeNiro, Shirley, Morgan...OLD PEOPLE ROCK!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 27, 2013.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  4. December 25th - August: Osage County

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  5. December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  7. December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  8. January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  9. January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  10. February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  11. February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  12. February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I would like to see GG do away with the comedy/musical category altogether; you don't always see that many worthy nominees that could truly fall in this category. I would rather see them lump those together, but have a bigger pool to choose from (like 9 or 10 best picture nominees- the way the Oscars are doing, but expanding it to best actor & best actress). However, that means fewer awards, so I don't think they will do it.

What I would like to see is if there aren't enough movies that would qualify for comedy/musical, just reduce the number of nominees (e.g. 3 or 4 instead of 5). That number will vary depending on what's released in that year.

2. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Just saw Frozen, it was wonderful! I didn't think it was absolutely perfect overall, but I really enjoyed it. It had a quirky character that was really fun, and Idina Menzel and Jonathan Groff :swoon: Their voices! Kristen Bell sounded wonderful, too.

The Snow Queen was one of my favorite stories growing up (truthfully, it's harder to say which fairy tales I didn't like...) and I wasn't sure about the movie when I heard about it, but I really liked it.

Next on my list is The Book Thief; I finally found a theater near me where it is playing, so I can't waste any time. :lol:

3. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Saw August Osage County tonight (another NYT Film Club screening). Meryl will definitely get an Oscar nom but I'm not sure she'll win (not sure who Harvey will lobby for). Unfortunately, she is at a disadvantage in that she was not the first to play that role and the whole time, I was wondering how another actress might have done.

I definitely agree with the complaints about the change to the ending. The original ending was powerful and fitting whereas this new one left me thinking "huh?"

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Streep already has 3. Will. Not. Win. Again. Ever.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Streep will win another, even if it is a Lifetime Achievement type of award. I think it is ridiculous that she "can't" win another because she has won 3. What the hell is the point of calling it the Best Actress award if it is really the "Best Actress who hasn't won recently or won too many already" award? I know that is just how it works but I really do think Streep can win again with a performance that just can NOT be denied and she is capable of giving that kind of performance. It may need to be in the Supporting category and it may need to be in a weak year but those happen all the time.

6. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

We don't know whether she can win another one or not. I think if anyone can tie Katharine Hepburn's record of Oscar wins for an actor, it's Streep. However, politics and attitudes need to be in her favor as it's rare for an actor to have such a performance that is not only undeniable but have the other actors who are nominated not have as much support (for whatever reason) and a performance that isn't also undeniable. Of course, I'm more interested in getting Glenn Close and Julianne Moore their first Oscars.

7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Has anyone seen this 1987 movie poster before?

:lol:

Just got back from seeing Thor: The Dark World. Again, my friends gave it a seven out of 10. I gave it a ten. My friend said, "no seriously, what would you give it"? I told him I was serious and he said, "I thought you hated senseless violence". I had to let that go as I knew that would be part of the movie. So I asked him what three things were wrong with it that would have made him give it a ten instead of a seven. He said that something like the senseless violence should have been...can't remember the world now, but having a meaning something like meaningful violence. Hmm. :confused: I just thought it was a perfectly made popcorn movie and it held me interest from start to finish. I like that we got more Kat Dennings plus more comedy as well as all the great action and wondrous CGI. And I love Tom Hiddleston's face. And his nose. And his imdb.com says nothing about a wife or girlfriend so I think maybe he and I will wed one day. :D

8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Who knows. Katharine Hepburn won a 4th for On Golden Pond in 1981, but it was probably a very heavily sentimental win.

IIRC, Meryl ironically was considered the favorite for The French Lieutenant's Woman.

9. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I disagree. Comedy is very, very difficult, and often these performances are overlooked for their excellence when it's all lumped into 1 category. The "dramatic" roles are the showier ones, and get rewarded over their comic counterparts the majority of the time. I like that the GGs have a separate category and wish the Oscars would do the same.

ETA: That being said, categorizing between comedy and drama can sometimes be challenging. I personally would have had August as a drama, even though it has dark comedy in it. (Or at least what I remember of the play does -- haven't seen the movie yet.)

This I agree with. Like they do at the Oscars for animated films (and sometimes other categories too).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  10. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

When was the old movie released? Who played that role? In all probability most people are not familiar with it, so she could get the Oscar nom, but she may never win another Oscar. Hepburn had 4, so there may be some hope of one more, but years later.

11. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Not an old movie, but a long-running play on both Broadway and the West End. Deanna Dunagan is most known for the role (and she won the Tony), but Phylicia Rashad also.

However I think it's moot. Whether or not it's an "original" role will I think have zero bearing on the Oscar (or GG or any other award). How many she's won in the past might have an impact, but I don't think there's any magic number there either.

12. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

Watched some more mainstream movies lately, the one I liked the best was The Hangover Part III. Ken Jeong is such a brilliant comedian. Plus there is an amazing scene between Zach G. (not going to try to spell his name!!) and
    Melissa McCarthy
    . I used spoiler tags because the presence of this actor came as a complete shock (and pleasant surprise).

Premium Rush with Joseph Gordon-Leavitt was pretty good. It's taking a real beating at the imdb message boards, which surprised me. I thought it was silly fun. :D

And Mothman Prophecies with Richard Gere and Laura Linney. A decent supernatural flick. Kinda silly, but the great cast helped elevate it. And there were some :eek: moments that helped make it better than it would have been otherwise.

13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

14. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

thank you wylie fan!

wasnt there a george c scott version or am i delusional?

15. Wyliefan

There was, but to the best of my knowledge, no stations are airing it this month.

I've just realized, though, I forgot the Albert Finney version, which is airing this month! Off to add it . . .

16. my little pony

thanks, there's a little something about each of them i like. well, not the jim carrey one or the muppets.

i even like scrooged. when they announce mary lou retton as tiny tim, i still LOL.

17. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Year In Review 2013: The Biggest Movie Flops of 2013

R.I.P.D. -
    Getaway ("Ethan Hawke and Selena Gomez: Together at last!" :lol: ) -
    Elysium -
    The article screws up here with Elysium as it made 193 million for international box office.

After Earth -
    Again, the article shows it's U.S.-centricity as After Earth made 183 million overseas.

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones -
    ...this one had a 60 million dollar budget, made 44 million overseas for a 75 million total. Which is a loss when you add in tens of millions of dollars in promotion

Turbo -
    Wow...Turbo made 200 million internationally! So definitely NOT a flop.

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters -
    90 million budget, 67 million box office in the U.S. and 132 million internationally (total box office 200 million). I expect there will definitely be a sequel. I believe movies like this do really well in DVD sales and rentals, so add ten to twenty or more million to that 200 million total??

Jack The Giant Slayer - 195 million budget, 65 domestic and 132 international makes almost 200 million total box office. Add 22 million in DVD and Blu-Ray sales...but subtract 50 to 100??? million in promotion...and yup, this was a flop.

Gangster Squad - 60 million budget, 46 million domestic box office, 58 internationally for a worldwide total of 104 million. Add 16 million in DVD and Blu-Ray sales...I'd say this one broke even??

The Lone Ranger - 215 budget (or 275 according to some sites), 90 domestic box office, 170 internationally...another definite flop.

18. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Saw American Hustle today. Excellent. Great cast. Love a film where they go to town with the hair and cleavage to represent the 70s. I think Christian Bale has to rival Javier Bardem for "most interesting hair" ever in a movie and he is so physically changeable from role to role.

Must say I actually didn't think this was a comedy which is what they seem to be promoting it as. But an enjoyable film nonetheless.

19. Wyliefan

I've heard from other sources that they may actually be going ahead with the Mortal Instruments sequel, which would astound me, considering how poorly it did at the box office. (I saw it, and IMHO, it fully deserved to flop.)

20. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I watched 'Philomena', starring Dame Judi Dench and directed by Stephen Frears ('The Queen'; 'Dangerous Liaisons'). Nominated for a GG Best Picture and GG Best Actress. Touching movie and Judi Dench's acting reaches your heart. Her own personal pain from her past becomes compounded during the course of the movie. The movie touches on different factors you wouldn't anticipate

21. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Oh the mothman prophecies is gd cheesy fun. Can't believe richard gere was in that!!! Lol

22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Lawrence of Arabia star Peter O'Toole dies aged 81

The article also mentions that while he announced his retirement from acting last year, "...it was reported he had agreed to appear in upcoming historical drama Katherine of Alexandria as palace orator Cornelius Gallus."

He will be missed!! :(

23. Wyliefan

:wuzrobbed

R.I.P. He will indeed be missed.

24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Everyone talks about "Lawrence of Arabia"; but, I'll always remember his Henry II, in "Becket".
    Thank you!
    RIP

25. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

The Henry was brilliant.
    RIP

26. Wyliefan

Can you imagine the TCM tribute marathon for him? It's going to be amazing. At the very least, I'm going to have to watch The Lion in Winter again.

27. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Emilia Clarke will be playing Sarah Connor. Interestingly enough, Lena Headey also played Sarah Connor in the previous Terminator TV series. And to continue with six degrees of separation, George RR Martin was a writer on Beauty and The Beast, which starred Linda Hamilton, and the sh*tstorm that followed after he killed off Linda Hamilton's character was one of his motivations for writing Game of Thrones.

28. my little pony

yes this. tcm should just take over that part of the oscar telecast.

i demand a clip of him as alan swann saying "i'm not an actor, i'm a movie star."

bless

29. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I'll be watching The Lion in Winter again too. As good as Lawrence of Arabia is, he is so fantastic in The Lion in Winter.

30. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I saw "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" today and thought it was vastly superior to the first movie. My only real complaint about the film was the barrel sequence which came off as part amusement park ride set-up/video game. :lol: The audience I saw the film with was like "Gah!" at the cliff-ender ending though, like they didn't realize the saga concludes next December. :wall:

I will have to DVR "Lion in Winter" when it comes on TCM next. One of my all time faves, and I don't own a copy of it. :shuffle:

PeterG, you have to remember that just because a movie's domestic and foreign gross may be higher than the budget, the studio is recouping the full box office. (In fact, the longer a movie plays, the less the studio makes and the more the theatre owner makes.) Most of the published budgets are just the production cost, so any percentage of gross box office stars or directors are getting is not calculated into the budget and neither are advertising/marketing costs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.