Let's Talk Movies! #25: McKellen, Meryl, DeNiro, Shirley, Morgan...OLD PEOPLE ROCK!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 27, 2013.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  4. December 25th - August: Osage County

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  5. December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  7. December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  8. January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  9. January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  10. February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  11. February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  12. February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

It has been screened for critics and has received a few nominations from critics groups already, like Detroit Film Critics, and St. Louis.

And I don't think Hamm and Westfeldt have ever married.

Thrilled to see Before Midnight winning so many screenplay awards. It deserves every one of them, and more.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Well, Meryl hasn't gotten a single win and that just can NOT be right. Hmmmph!!! No..no, I am convinced some of the critics did not get to the screening or did not get their DVD in the mail. The only excuse.

3. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Meryl doesn't always win though. Out of her latest string of Oscar nods, I think Julie and Julia and The Iron Lady were two movies where she garnered some critical wins but the rest didn't seem to garner much, if any early critical wins.

Anyway, the Oscars have been moving away from critic circles and more towards industry awards (SAG, PGA, DGA, etc.). I think there's been some disconnect for quite some time. However, thus far, it'll be hard to deny the critical wave that Cate Blanchet has been getting for Blue Jasmine although the Oscars have done it before (i.e. Sissy Spacek (In the Bedroom) losing to Halle Berry (Monster's Ball); Julianne Moore (Far From Heaven) losing to Nicole Kidman (The Hours); Julie Christie (Away From Her) losing to Marion Cottillard (La Vie En Rose); Ellen Bustryn (Requiem for a Dream) and Laura Linney (You Can Count on Me) losing to Julia Roberts (Erin Brockovich)). You even see it in Best Supporting Actress where Oscars ignore critical darlings (like when Judy Davis (Husbands and Wives) lost to Marisa Tomei (My Cousin Vinny)).

So it's very possible that Cate Blanchet will lose the Oscar to whoever the tide turns in favor of. I'm surprised Sandra Bullock hasn't gotten more love for Gravity since she actually won some critics over and most people agree her performance was actually a performance that should be rewarded.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  4. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

The hype has been with Cate Blanchett pretty much right since Venice Film Festival. A lot of women are getting great reviews and being mentioned as probable nominees, but everyone seems to be treating the award like its Blanchett's already. Which is interesting to watch because last year had the at least illusion of competitiveness. Even while Jennifer Lawrence had been winning all the awards a lot of people thought that Jessica Chastain could sneak in and win it and the closer to the awards it got the more people started talking about Emmanualle Riva winning. I'm still not sure how likely it actually would have been to have someone else win. But it definitely felt like someone else could sneak in there for a while.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I definitely feel like most of what I've read this year is giving Cate Blanchett the edge for the actual award. Not that I'm complaining, I adore her in everything I've seen her in.

5. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I read review of "inside llweyn davis" that wasn't especially sympathetic to the film's theme but after the shit I've been thru I can tellyou yes that theme is areal one. I would like to see this film..when things get better of course lol.

6. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Streep did win SAG for "Doubt", but you're right, Kate Winslet did win almost everything else that year for "The Reader".

7. VIETgrlTerifa

Oh yeah!

That was an odd year for Best Actress, if I remember correctly. Sally Hawkins clearly won the most critics' awards and even won the Comedy/Musical Actress Golden Globe for Happy-Go-Lucky , but failed to get a SAG or Oscar nomination. All year, Kate Winslet was getting nominated at the industry awards for Best Supporting Actress for The Reader and Best Actress for Revolutionary Road, but she then somehow gets a Best Actress nod for The Reader, allowing Penelope Cruz to get her deserved Best Supporting Actress Oscar for Vicky Cristina Barcelona (and for Marissa Tomei to get nominated for The Wrestler after being snubbed at SAG).

Thinking back on it, I really do think Sally Hawkins' performance in Happy-Go-Lucky should have won that year had she been nominated. Hopefully the Academy will nominate her for her supporting turn in Blue Jasmine.

8. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Dallas Buyer's Club was not on my radar at all -- partly because it's Matthew McConaughey, and partly because the title made me think it was yet another film glorifying capitalism.

Then I found out what it was really about. :duh:

So now I want to see it.

9. Artemis@BC

Oh, I hope so too. Blanchett was fantastic in the movie, but it would have been completely unbalanced without Hawkins' equally brilliant performance. And not to diminish Blanchett's work at all, but Hawkins' job was all the harder because of having to play the "straight" role against a larger-than-life character.

10. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

To add to the Osage County discussion, it has been Julia Roberts, not Meryl, who has popped up on more critics awards nominations this year. The lead actress category is very crowded this year so Julia, in the supporting category, may be the one to walk away with an Oscar nod this year.

And I agree about Hawkins. I thought she had the far more difficult role in Blue Jasmine and nailed it, but the hammier roles usually reap awards.

11. VIETgrlTerifa

As someone who didn't like that Julia Roberts won the Oscar for Erin Brockovich and Sandra Bullock won the SAG and Oscar for The Blind Side, I am happy to see these two actresses coming out with critically-acclaimed performances this year.

12. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Whaddya mean, Old People? They're all younger than me!

13. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

Three movies that I recommend 1,000 %:

The Sapphires - This one's been mentioned in the movies thread before, I just have to chime in with my complete agreement with this being a wonderful film. I loved everything about it, even though it makes changes to the real story. But this is not a documentary, so that's fine. Brilliant performances all around and the music is AMAZING. I need to hunt out the soundtrack now!! :D

Mumord - with Hope Davis, Martin Short, Viola Davis, Mary McDonnell, Jason Ritter and a very young Zooey Deschanel. I think there's a few others tha deserve to be mentioned, but can't remember them right now off the top of my head. But this one draws you in and the story changes from what you expect. It's as intriguing as it is sweet in the best possible sense. Loved it!

Mental with Toni Collette and Liev Schrieber. SO much fun, but also a thought-provoking movie. Oh, it has Anthony LaPaglia as Collette's husband as well. Another movie with brilliant performances all around. You must all see this one immediately! :respec:

14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Frozen is HOT!!! :lol: It takes the #1 spot on the weekend's box office chart. Over 31 million at the box office, edging out Hunger Games which made 26 million. Those two movies sucked up all the $$$ that was out there, leaving Out of the Furnace to debut at #3 while only taking in less than six million at the box office... :fragile: If only it had a stronger cast than Christian Bale, Woody Harrelson, Casey Affleck, Zoe Saldana, Sam Shepard, William Defoe and Forest Whitaker. :p The only other thing of note on this week's chart is that Bad Grandpa passed the $100 million mark (and 30 million made overseas). With a budget of 15 million, I wonder if we'll be seeing Bad Grandma next year?

New movies coming out this weekend:

December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Fantasy adventure with Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Cate Blanchett, Benedict Cumberbatch, Orlando Bloom, Evangeline Lilly, Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Aidan Turner, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, Stephen Fry, Billy Connolly and Ian Holm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfflhfn1W-o

18 million views

December 13th - Saving Mr. Banks - Drama with Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson, Colin Farrell, Paul Giamatti and Jason Schwartzman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvKcwNyOnWo

2.4 million views

December 13th - A Madea Christmas - Comedy with Tyler Perry, Larry the Cable Guy, Chad Michael Murray, Kathy Najimy, Alicia Witt and Lisa Whelchel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-COoCHkueI

December 13 - Hours - Dramatic thriller with Paul Walker
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM78CUp451Q
    1.8 million views

December 13 - The Crash Reel – Sports biography. From imdb.com: “Fifteen years of verite footage show the epic rivalry between half-pipe legends Shaun White and Kevin Pearce, childhood friends who become number one and two in the world leading up to the Vancouver Winter Olympics, pushing one another to ever more dangerous tricks, until Kevin crashes on a Park City half-pipe, barely surviving.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj0vY2Nymqw

December 13 - Trap for Cinderella – Crime thriller. From imdb.com: “A young girl suffering from amnesia after surviving a house fire that takes her childhood friend's life, begins a tormented road to recovery.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DIU5dgYkp0

December 13 - Some Velvet Morning – Drama with Stanley Tucci and Alice Eve
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X2duowPXcg

15. immoimeme

I finally watched the last sort-out film-"the milagro beanfield war." Directed by robert redford. From the book of the same name. Ruben blades, remember him ? Lol. Surprise big names of m.Emmet Walsh, Melanie Griffith, a young ma with compelling eyes named Christopher Walken. Other "oh I know him!" Cast plus locals. Story of what it means to have a hometown, poverty of all sorts -high to low- water rights, a pig, ghosts, family, and beans. Interesting to watch once but obvious why it was not big commercial success. Not a keeper.but I think that *now* I *have* seen almost every Robert Redford film. Dying to see "all is lost" but local theatre showing nothing but crap throwaway films. :p

16. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

It's unfortunate that Hawkins' performance in Happy-Go-Lucky was so polarizing that it probably affected her chances at the major awards ...many viewers were unable to separate the Hawkins' actual performance with the (mostly unsympathetic) character of Poppy.

17. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

SAG (Screen Actor Guild) Nominations:

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture:
    "12 Years a Slave"
    "American Hustle"
    "August: Osage County"
    "Dallas Buyers Club"
    "Lee Daniels' The Butler"

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role:

Bruce Dern "Nebraska"
    Chiwetel Ejiofor "12 Years a Slave"
    Tom Hanks "Captain Phillips"
    Matthew McConaughey "Dallas Buyers Club"
    Forest Whitaker "Lee Daniels' The Butler"

Outstanding Performance By a Female Actor in a Leading Role:

Cate Blanchett "Blue Jasmine"
    Sandra Bullock "Gravity"
    Judi Dench "Philomena"
    Meryl Streep "August: Osage County"
    Emma Thompson "Saving Mr. Banks"

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role:

Barkhad Abdi "Captain Phillips"
    Daniel Bruhl "Rush"
    Michael Fassbender "12 Years a Slave"
    James Gandolfini "Enough Said"
    Jared Leto "Dallas Buyers Club"

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role:

Jennifer Lawrence "American Hustle"
    Lupita Nyong'o "12 Years a Slave"
    Julia Roberts "August: Osage County"
    June Squibb "Nebraska"
    Oprah Winfrey "Lee Daniels' The Butler"

Suprises: No Robert Redford for "All is Lost" or Leonardo DiCaprio or Jonah Hill noms for "Wolf of Wall Street" (also snubbed for Best Ensemble). Big love for "August: Osage County" which has heretofore been ignored in critics races and by the AFI. "Dallas Buyers Club" a surprise for ensemble.

18. Artemis@BC

And don't forget Sonia Braga!

It is a keeper for me: one of my favourite movies of all time. I love those personal-meets-political stories, and I the movie succeeded on every level. Throw in a little mysticism for good measure, and I'm hooked.

It's also a great illustration of how to turn mediocre source material (in this case, the novel of the same name) into something so much better. At least IMO.

19. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

So I saw The Desolation of Smaug last night. I need to see it a few times more before I can decide if I personally prefer it over An Unexpected Journey, but a lot of people seem to think it's a step up. There are a LOT more changes from the book here though, so no doubt there'll be a barrage of nerd rage from the Tolkien purists. :p

There's more action, more Serious Business, less slapstick (though Bombur and the barrel was hilarious), and no singing. I would've preferred to see a bit less orchs and a bit more Bilbo (because Martin Freeman fcuking OWNS that role), but I'm guessing there might be more of him in the Extended Edition. Hopefully there'll be more of Beorn too - I was afraid that the entire Swedish audience was going to laugh every time he was on the screen, but they (we) didn't. :) 'Twas a bit odd to see Persbrandt with brown eyes though...

Smaug is MAG-NI-FI -CENT. The voice, the way he moves, the gorgeous animation - it all works :swoon: (which is a bit odd, considering how Weta still haven't mastered the art of getting a CGI horse to look real). Luke Evans as Bard looks more like Orlando Bloom than Legolas does, Stephen Fry as the Master of Laketown is delightfully gross, and Evangeline Lilly's Tauriel kicks all kinds of arse. :respec: And it's impossible to miss Peter Jackson's cameo in this film! :lol:

And Thorin is still the very epitome of majesty. :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Also, spiders. :yikes:

20. VIETgrlTerifa

I can't believe people thought Poppy was unsympathetic. I LOVED that character. I can see why she'd be polarizing though in that her happy-go-lucky attitude might have been grating to viewers but I think that was Poppy's conscious choice to look at life that way. I want to watch that movie again because I think it's my favorite Mike Leigh film.

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Hmm, Redford does not seem to be getting much love from these early award shows. Even so, I think he has a good chance of winning if his name is on the Oscar ballot. The man has gotten high praises for his current role, and he's getting up there in years. I think the academy members will vote for him.

22. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

if i could only give 1 oscar for acting this yr, id give it to him for all is lost. i thought he was that good.

23. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Saw it tonight (special screening sponsored by the NZ high commission) and agree with you- loved it. I checked the credits after the movie- I thought Bard might have been played by Orlando Bloom's brother or something.

As you say- many will have problems with the changes from the books, but I was okay with them. Loved Smaug and his voice. And Freeman as Bilbo, of course. I rather liked the way the Mirkwood elves were played too-kind of badass and otherworldly.

24. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

NYT Film Club had a screening of American Hustle and personally, I thought it was a blast. great acting, awesome hair, and you really did wonder who was conning who. Timeout pretty much sums up what my answer would be to the question of its Oscar worthiness, except I would focus more on Bradley Cooper in oven curlers.

http://www.timeout.com/us/film/american-hustle-movie-review

25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I had dinner with some friends tonight and we watched the first Thor movie (2011). Tomorrow night we're going to see Thor: The Dark World. He said he always re-watches the first part of a series when a sequel comes out. I asked him about the new Star Wars and if he'll watch the first six movies before seeing it. He said, "maybe...!" :lol: I wondered why I went to see Thor considering I had already seen it, but I thought, "well, I get a chance to have dinner and hang out with friends". So I was surprised to find that I quite enjoyed watching it again. The CGI is great, I got to appreciate Tom Hiddleston's performance in a new way (I didn't really know about him at all when I saw this the first time). And the scene where Chris Hemsworth walks out shirtless and in a pair of ever-so-form-fitting black jeans... :swoon: Sigh!!! :lol: The pacing of the movie was great, too. My friend was shocked to see that Kenneth Branagh directed it, I thought he'd have know that. Anyway, less than 24 hours until we see part two. I'll report back about any half-nekkid scenes. :D

I felt kind of let down with that one. I just couldn't see how all of these people could fathom that this guy was their relative. That just didn't make sense to me and I didn't feel the documentary covered well enough how everyone went along with something so implausible/presposterous. :shuffle:

I thought his earlier work like Dogville and Manderlay were amazing. But his more recent work often seems to be like he's using his work to deal with issues that would best be suited for therapy sessions. I think film can be startling, groundbreaking and thought-provoking of course, but done by those who are in a sound state of mind. Some of his public actions make me worry about him. :( I can't even bring myself to watch the trailer for his new work, but I will at some point. Thanks for the advance notice, gives me time to work up to this upcoming work.

26. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Golden Globe nominations

27. immoimeme

Idris Elba is the actor that I was so impressed with many posts back. He is nominated by cant-keep-up-with-them-all for his role as Mandela. EDIT oh I see peterg posted right when I did lol and supplied the answer :)

28. VIETgrlTerifa

This might be the first year in a long time where the Best Comedy/Musical nominees for Best Motion Picture is on par or maybe even better than their Drama counterparts.

29. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

What is bizarre is that they consider most of those films "comedies or musicals." :lol:

30. Nan

Nan Just me

Was there ever any doubt? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.