Let's Talk Movies! #25: McKellen, Meryl, DeNiro, Shirley, Morgan...OLD PEOPLE ROCK!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 27, 2013.

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  4. December 25th - August: Osage County

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  5. December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  7. December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  8. January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  9. January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  10. February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  11. February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  12. February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I read an interesting article about Tim's Vermeer and want to see that one.

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I love Sarah Polley's work normally, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by Stories We Tell. It wasn't bad, but far from the best documentary I've seen lately -- it just seemed too detached for me.

If I were going to pick the best Canadian documentary of the year that would probably be Our Man in Tehran. But I don't think that one has had US release yet. And maybe never will if Ben Affleck's people have their way. :D

3. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Hunger Games quiz:

1. Who visits Katniss in District 12?
    2. Where is an old man punished for whistling?
    3. Who is publicly whipped?
    4. What takes place every 25 years?
    5. Where are Mags and Finnick from?
    6. Who sacrifices herself to the fog?
    7. Who destroys the force field?
    8. What does Peeta tell the TV audience?
    9. What happens to Katniss' wedding dress?
    10. Who is the new gamemaker?

1. President Snow
    2. District 11
    3. Gale
    4. Quarter Quell
    5. District 4
    6. Mags
    7. Katniss
    8. That Katniss is pregnant
    9. It burns and turns into a Mockingjay dress
    10. Plutarch

I got one out of ten right!!! :cheer2:

4. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I remember thinking this felt more like a music video, which isn't a surprise since Madonna directed it. Gorgeous soundtrack (very skating friendly actually) , but Otherwise, meh.

5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

10/10! I'm too obsessed :cheer2:

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

That quiz is insultingly easy :p

7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Seriously. I watched the movie once and didn't read the books, and got 10/10. :lol: I just pay attention!

8. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:(

9. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

OMG, no, this is just wrong

10. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

National Board of Review announces winners:

Picture:
    "Her"
    Director: Spike Jonez "Her"
    Actor: Bruce Dern, "Nebraska"
    Actress: Emma Thompson "Saving Mr. Banks"
    Supporting Actor: Will Forte "Nebraska"
    Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer "Fruitvale Station"
    Original Screenplay: Coen Brothers "Inside Llewyn Davis"
    Adapted Screenplay: Terence Winter "The Wolf of Wall Street"
    Ensemble: "Prisoners"
    Animated Feature: "The Wind Rises"
    Foreign Language Film: "The Past"
    Documentary: "The Stories We Tell"
    Spotlight Award: Career Collaboration of Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio
    Breakthrough Performances: Adele Exarchopoulous "Blue is the Warmest Color," Michal B. Jordon "Fruitvale Station"
    Debut Director: Ryan Coogler "Fruitvale Station"
    Creative Innovation in Filmmaking: "Gravity"
    Freedom of Expression: "Wadjda"

Best Film Nominees: (in alpha order)
    "12 Years a Slave"
    "Fruitevale Station"
    "Gravity"
    "Inside Llewyn Davis"
    "Lone Survivor"
    "Nebraska"
    "Prisoners"
    "Saving Mr. Banks"
    "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"
    "The Wolf of Wall Street"

Best Foreign Film Nominees: (in alpha order)
    "Beyond the Hills"
    "Gloria"
    "The Grandmaster"
    "A Hijacking"
    'The Hunt"

Best Documentary Nominees: (in alpha order)
    "20 Feet From Stardom"
    "The Act of Killing"
    "After Tiller"
    "Casting By"
    "The Square"

Best Independent Films: (in alpha order)
    "Ain't Them Bodies Saints"
    "Dallas Buyers Club"
    "In a World..."
    "Mother of George"
    "Much Ado About Nothing"
    "Mud"
    "The Place Beyond the Pines"
    "Short Term 12"
    "Sightseers"
    "The Spectacular Now"

11. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Was home sick yesterday, so watched "The Pianist" for the first time. I always find myself looking for more WWII movies to watch, and I can't believe it took me so long to see this one in particular. An incredibly powerful movie, and Adrien Brody is just a wonderful actor. He won an Oscar for this, correct?

ETA: I'm not as intrigued by as many of the upcoming movies as usual. I love both Amy Adams and Leo DiCaprio, so I'm definitely planning to see "Her" and "The Wolf of Wall Street." One I can't wait to see soon is "Frozen." I'm a sucker for all things Disney, it's been getting great reviews, and I generally love the "Snow Queen" storyline so I can't wait. :)

12. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

The Pianist is one of my most favorite movies. I saw it 3 times and I own the DVD as well. It's very powerful and IMO should have won the Best Picture Oscar over Chicago. Roman Polanski won the Best Director (much to the displeasure of many, but as a director he totally deserved it), and the movie also won adapted screenplay Oscar.

Yes, Adrien Brody did win an Oscar for this, and deservedly so.

13. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Looks like my list of 'movies to see' is getting really long. I have not seen any of these award winning movies of 2013 yet.

14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Some documentaries I've seen lately:

Show Business: The Road to Broadway - I looooooooved this one! Lots of info about Wicked, Avenue Q, Taboo (and Caroline, Or Change - which I hadn't heard of before). Just a great movie about Broadway musicals, the only down side was the miserable theatre critics and the #!*%? power they have over shows making it or not. Highly recommended!

The Betrayal (Nerakhoon) - From imdb.com: "The epic story of a family forced to emigrate from Laos after the chaos of the secret air war waged by the U.S. during the Vietnam War." An important story told well enough (good but not great, in my opinion). A highlight of this movie (other than learning about something I had no idea about previously) is the Howard Shore score. Shore did the scores for the Lord of the Rings movies (three Oscar nods and a fourth for Hugo), Twilight: Eclipse, The Departed, Gangs of New York, Philadelphia, Silence of the Lambs and Big. I urge you to watch the first 30 seconds of the trailer and tell me that you don't agree that this music would make for an AMAZING figure skating program!!! :respec:

House I Live In - From imdb.com: "From the dealer to the narcotics officer, the inmate to the federal judge, a penetrating look inside America's criminal justice system, revealing the profound human rights implications of U.S. drug policy." Another good movie, but I found it a bit meandering, as if the filmmaker was documenting his process of figuring out things and showing how he stumbled at times in finding out the information he needed. I just like a documentary with a clearer focus on what their goal is and how they're going to get there. The 15 producers of this movie include Danny Glover, John Legend, Brad Pitt and Russell Simmons.

Probably because it's a slow month so Paranormal Acivity will be assured a #1 debut and hopefully lots of money. And maybe last October had too much competition? Or maybe this one isn't as good, so they're burying it. :lol: The trailer didn't look as good as the previous ones, all of which I LOVED. This new one seems to be catering to a Latino audience, which is probably a smart decision to bring in a new audience and keep the franchise going. The trailer just looked kind of blah to me... :(

:encore:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  15. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

And because I can't rep you right now .. two thumbs up for the title of this thread! :encore:

16. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Crazy how New York was gaga over American Hustle but the National Board of Review didn't even put it in its top ten list. I can't wait to see what L.A. and the National Society of Film Critics say.

17. peibeck

I think this is a "spin-off" off the series, because "Paranormal Activity" wasn't even part of it's original title, it was called "The Oxnard Tapes" originally (what ever that means). And the plot is centered around a Hispanic family.

If it's like most of the "PA" type films, it was probably made on a miniscule budget, so it if makes even $10M at the box office it will be profitable, even with marketing costs! :eek:

I loved "The Pianist" too. Adrien Brody's win was pretty unexpected though. Daniel Day Lewis and Jack Nicholson had the most buzz going into those Oscars as I recall. And most people thought Martin Scorsese would win his first Oscar that year (which was to finally happen 4 years later).

18. peibeck

I know the press screening for "American Hustle" in my area is tomorrow, so it's quite possible members of the NBR haven't seen the film yet.

19. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Possibly, but the NBR is comprised of "film enthusiasts, academics, filmmakers, and students in the New York metropolitan area" as per wikipedia and their official page. I think there are films on their list that haven't had the same studio push that American Hustle has had. Also, I would think movie distributors would present the films to these groups early on in order for them to be recognized for awards. That's a pretty common practice.

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

21. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

:eek: I think the only movies I saw from '63 are The Birds and The Great Escape. The latter doesn't seem to fit in with many others on this list. It seems like it should have come out around '73. Make me wonder if the director was ahead of his time with this one. Surprised I haven't seen Cleopatra, wonder if the remake with Angelina Jolie will ever happen. I'd watch her in anything, though. :D

Wow, that's quite the cast! I should think about seeing this one along with Hud and Lilies of the Field. And maybe I Could Go On Singing. I didn't know Judy Garland was still making movies in '63. I thought that was about the time she had passed away. :fragile:

22. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Some old movies I've seen over the last while:

Jesse James (1939, Henry Fonda, Tyrone Power and Randolph Scott) - PLEASE do not judge this movie on this trailer. It was the only one I could find. I thought this was a pretty good movie, but I think everyone must have been contractually-bound to make a good movie if it was to be released in 1939! :lol: One unexpected plus was that I never knew how stunningly beautiful Tyrone Power was! :swoon:

The Virgin Queen (1955, Bette Davis, Richard Todd, Joan Collins) - An old, old trailer that also should not be used to consider whether you're going to watch this one or not. It has Bette Davis in it. 'nuff said. Watch it!! :D

Stella Dallas (1937, Barbara Stanwyck, Anne Shirley and Alan Hale) - If you love this movie, skip on to the next part of my message! I thought this one would never end. Corny script, silly people, unbelievable situations/predicaments. Just awful. I watched it because it's part of cinematic history, no matter how wrong that might be. :yikes:

Cool video. I'd say Carrie has two iconic moments though, add the uber-freakout ending. Same thing for the first Friday the 13th. I think everyone in the theatre sh** themselves with that surprise ending!! :lol:

Thanks. I saw Tommy many years ago, probably enough time has passed I can check it out again. I'll look out for the other three also. :40beers:

23. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Kitten with a Whip was used for a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode. Worth checking out if you like your Ann-Margret melodramas with a side of snark. :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Just watched A Single Man. Has anyone skated to the music? It's lovely. Nice performances all around (Matthew Goode is so dreamy), but ugh, the ending. Art film cliche. I'm sure it's the same with the book, which I now have no desire to read.

25. BigB08822

I watched a movie on Netflix tonight called Robot and Frank. It was really great, one of the better movies I have seen in a long time. I highly recommend it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4y8YAMPFhk

Just a warning, the trailer shows a LOT of the movie.

26. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I think that's the best way to watch this film

27. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

As part of the media clean out I came across a John Curry tape labeled "The sniw queen" and "peter and the wolf." I watched the snow queen which featured curry janet lynn dorothy hamil and sandra bezic as the snow queen. Tolker Cranston makes brief odd appearances as some kind of maurader lol. The skating was exquisite. But visual concept was like ruh roh someone took acid and had what thry thought was a brilliant idea lol !!!!

28. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

LA Critics

BEST PICTURE
    "GraVity" AND "Her" (TIE)

BEST DIRECTOR
    Alfonso CuarÓn "Gravity"
    RUNNER-UP: Spike Jonze ("Her")

BEST ACTOR
    Bruce Dern
    "Nebraska"
    Runner-up: Chiwetel Ejiofor ("12 Years a Slave")

BEST ACTRESS
    Cate Blanchett, "Blue Jasmine" and AdÈle Exarchopoulos, "Blue Is the Warmest Color" (TIE)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    James Franco, "Spring Breakers," and Jared Leto, "Dallas Buyers Club" (TIE)

BEST Supporting Actress
    Lupita Nyong'o, "12 Years a Slave"
    Runner-up: June Squibb, ("Nebraska")

BEST Screenplay
    Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke, “Before Midnight"
    Runner-up: Spike Jonze ("Her")

BEST Cinematography
    Emmanuel Lubezki, "Gravity"
    Runner-up: Bruno Delbonnel ("Inside Llewyn Davis")

BEST Music Score
    T Bone Burnett
    "Inside Llewyn Davis"

Runner-up: Arcade Fire and Owen Pallett ("HER")

BEST Foreign-Language Film
    "Blue Is the Warmest Color"
    Directed by Abdellatif Kechiche

Runner-up: "The Great Beauty" directed by Paolo Sorrentino

BEST Documentary/Non-Fiction Film
    "Stories We Tell"
    Directed by Sarah Polley
    Runner-up: "The Act of Killing" by Joshua Oppenheimer, Anonymous, Christine Cynn

29. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

Who is in a romantic mood?

I saw Show Me Love recently, a Swedish movie from the late 90's about a teen lesbian dealing with young love. It's pretty sweet and considering the subject matter and when it was made, it's actually quite a great movie. :)

Life As We Know It with Josh Duhamel and Katharine Heigl was much better than I expected. A bit smarter than similar movies and a surprisingly pleasant view. And if Duhamel's yumminess is not to your liking, Josh Lucas is also in this one.

Kissing Jessica Stein was written by and stars Jennifer Westfeldt who happens to be married to Mr. Man Men, Jon Hamm. This one is also Sapphic-themed, a young Jewish woman exploring her sexuality. Not a brilliant movie, but it was okay. They put everything they had into it, but I thought the script was a little obvious at times.

30. BigB08822

I have a question. Are all films eligible for these early season awards? I am thinking specifically of August: Osage County which has not been shown ANY nominations or wins that I recall but then again, I don't know if it was even screened yet for critics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.