Let's Talk Movies! #25: McKellen, Meryl, DeNiro, Shirley, Morgan...OLD PEOPLE ROCK!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 27, 2013.

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  4. December 25th - August: Osage County

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  5. December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  7. December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  8. January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  9. January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  10. February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  11. February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  12. February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Despite the fact that it is basically just one big product placement (especially at the end), there were plenty of laughs in "The LEGO Movie." Morgan Freeman and Will Arnett are especially great voice-over actors in this.

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I saw Labor Day today. It was nice to relax with a story, emotions without special effects, fights, blood, etc. Kate Winslet is wonderful I actually felt refreshed when I got out, instead of feeling drained and stressed which many other movies did to me.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. Vash01

Saw Captain Phillips today. Excellent movie. The tension and suspense were great Tom Hanks was very good. No surprise there.

4. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Wow. Third week of release for the LEGO movie, third week it sits atop the weekly box office chart. While the change in box office take is down 37%, it still earned just over 31 million dollars. Man, you could buy a LOT of LEGO with that amount of :money:!! That brings it's 17 day total to 183 million domestically (and 52 million worldwide). It's going to be interesting to see what it's final tally is.

Okay, quick box office quiz. Which debut of the week would do better: a big budget (100 million) CGI-infused blockbuster (aka Pompeii) or a mid-budget (28 million) Kevin Costner thriller? Why, the box office titan Kevin Costner would win that battle, of course! 3 Days To Kill debuts at #2 with just over 12 million and Pompeii takes the bronze with 10 million. Hmm. Wonder if Pompeii is going to lose money?? :yikes:

The only other thing of note on the box office chart is a bunch of big drop-offs from last week. Compare them to the -37 drop of the LEGO movie in it's third week: About Last Night (-71 in week two), Winter's Tale (also -71 in week two), Endless Love (-68 in week two), Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (-62%) and That Awkward Moment (-60%).

5. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

The problem with Pompeii is that the trailers couldn't even hide how much of a stinker it is. It seems to fit in the action genre in the vein of 300 and Immortals and with the exception of 300 which made this trend in action movies popular, none of them seem to do well. Immortals was really bad. It's really only worth watching if you like looking at a lot of hot, shirtless guys and cool fight scenes. The writing was horrible. That's really all I expect out of the upcoming Hercules movie that Kellan Lutz is in as well. But none of the movies seem to be able to capitalize on this subset of the action genres potential to make a movie that actually doesn't suck.
    They can't just keep throwing hot guys with 6 packs and no shirts onto the screen and hope that people will pay to see it in the theatre. They'll just wait for On Demand or Netflix.

6. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

Movie news:

Full Trailer for Rhythm & Hues' 'Life After Pi' VFX Industry Doc
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/watch-full-trailer-for-rhythm-hues-life-after-pi-vfx-industry-doc/

Jeremy Renner rumoured to be out as Hawkeye in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
    http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/...tm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_60764

The article says that usually it’s about the money. But not so in Renner’s case…

12 Movie Stars whose Careers Are in the Hot Seat: (Poll) Which actor are you rooting for the most?
    http://www.hitfix.com/news/12-movie-stars-whose-careers-are-in-the-hot-seat

• Zac Efron
    • Chris Pine
    • Ryan Reynolds
    • Aaron Eckhart
    • Shia LaBeouf
    • Kevin James
    • Keanu Reeves
    • Rosario Dawson
    • Amanda Seyfried
    • Naomi Watts
    • Armie Hammer
    • Hailee Steinfeld

(So Keanu Reeves caree is only in jeopardy now??)

7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

The Renner article has been updated. Apparently the rumor was back in May and had been disproven. He will be back as Hawkeye.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I will be preparing the new movie thread over the next couple of days, so the previews of new movies this week are posted below, a little earlier than usual. Non-Stop is on my To See list and Two Lives looks good, but didn't quite have enough oomph to get me to add it to my list. The Bag Man and Repentance have good casts, but the trailers look really bad! :eek:

February 28th - Non-Stop - Thriller with Liam Neeson and Julianne Moore
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSF6GPNXr9Y
    2.5 million views

February 28th - Two Lives – Dramatic thriller with Liv Ullman
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWQ3cAYWoNg

February 28th - Stalingrad – Russian war drama. From imdb.com: “A band of Russian soldiers fight to hold a strategic building in their devastated city against a ruthless German army, and in the process become deeply connected to two Russian women who have been living there.”
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I7HCitb9Eg

February 28th - The Bag Man – Dramatic thriller with John Cusack, Robert De Niro, Dominic Purcell and Crispin Glover
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKBLfwVEKP8

February 28th - Repentance – Horror thriller with Anthony Mackie, Forest Whitaker and Mike Epps
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwBgGZIzliw

9. Vash01

I want to see Non-stop and Stalingrad.

10. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I re-watched Stranger than Fiction last night. I'd forgotten most of the details since last I'd seen it. Wow, what a fabulous movie it is. The acting and writing, all top-notch, and of course such a fantastic premise.

As I was watching I was thinking to myself, "how on Earth did this not get nominated for best original screenplay?" Then I went and checked what movies were nominated that year and I'd be hard-pressed to delete any of them ... but still. Great, great film.

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Criterion is having a 50 percent off sale on all movies in stock, ending tomorrow at noon ET. The promo code is MADFOX. Enjoy! (I know I'm going to! :D )

12. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

13. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Are the hot shirtless guys wearing tunics in Immortals??

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. watchthis!!

I watched The Way, Way Back the other day and recommend it pretty highly with a bit of an exception. The cast is top-notch, what with Sam Rockwell, Maya Rudolph, Steve Carrell, Toni Collette and Alison Janney. The script is very, very good and the movie is as much fun as it is thoughtul. But one think irked me. This is basically a coming of age story for a young male, how he is empowered somewhat thanks to a few adults around him. But one part of this empowerment tale has older males teaching this young guy not only to objectify females, but how to do it. And how to prolong the objectification. And in the movie, this is a humour moment, that we are all to laugh about how this 14 year old uses his newfound power to hold back females so that he can ogle them. It just seemed out of place and put a big blotch on an otherwise really wonderful movie.

15. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I'm watching Gun Shy. I forgot how much I enjoyed this movie and I love the soundtrack too. I mostly love it for Liam Neeson and Oliver Platt but the guys in Liam's group therapy were pretty fun too.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

17. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

They are, yes.
    I felt the same way about The Way, Way Back. I did think it was the stronger of the 2 young man coming of age movies that came out last year. The other being The Kings of Summer, which was decent but seemed to be missing something, while The Way, Way Back wasn't.

18. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I saw Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit with my sister Mary tonight. I thought it was pretty good. There's always a few obvious things that happen in movies like this (will his female partner be kidnapped? will he save her??) and a few plot holes (will the
    Soviet attempt to collapse the U.S economy hinge on one single attack that will be stopped by the heroes instead of having nine more attacks in place
    as a back-up plan? But those problems did not overshadow a very well written, acted and directed movie. We were on the edge of our seats for pretty much the whole movie, it moved at a very nice pace. And I'm always pleased to watch Chris Pine's sleek frame and oh-so-blue eyes. So...a question. Are his eyes REALLY that blue? Or does he always wear blue contact lenses? Have any of you ever met somebody who has eyes NATURALLY that blue??

19. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if those sword and sandal movies are now better suited to TV. Game of Thrones and Spartacus both are popular but I think Spartacus would not have been as popular if Craig Parker, John Hannah and Lucy Lawless weren't given the time to make their characters compelling villains and Crixus gaining respect for Spartacus was reduced to a montage.

20. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

I was thinking the same thing about Travis Fimmel last night while watching a new (to me) show last night - the History Channel's "Vikings". Google Images photos of Fimmel have me thinking there is some enhancement for the show.

Chris Pine :)

21. Vash01

If his eyes are that blue, he would have been perfect to play Peeta in the Hunger Games series, but may be he was too old to play the 16-17 year old character. The books constantly refer to Peeta's blue eyes. I had wondered why Josh Hutcherson did not wear blue contacts for that role; not that it would have affected his acting. He played the character well.

It shouldn't be that difficult for any actor to wear different color contacts for a role. Not sure why it's not done more often. IIRC Ryan Gosling chose to wear brown contacts in The Notebook to match his older character who had brown eyes.

I do like really blue eyes, although I don't care much for the rest of Pines' looks. :)

22. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

This this blurb on the last page of the Cineplex magazine I picked up at the theatre last night:

I found both of these films on youtube:

Making A Living - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea0wupYVtIg

Kid Auto Races at Venice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nUptPWbE88

Both are probably just for Chaplin ubers, but it is interesting to watch (short) films from such an early part of cinematic history. With Making A Living, you can see how Chaplin was on his way to some great stunt work in the future. The editing is definitely top-notch and the camera work is quite good as well.

Kid Auto Races at Venice is supposed to be eleven minutes long, but I could only find a six minute version. I wonder if Chaplin did the Little Tramp in vaudeville because he's got the character down pat for this being the first film appearance of the character. Just the right amount of ham! :lol: And again, you can see the daredevil in Chaplin from a few of the shots in this one. I'm sure the audience was gasping and clutching one another during some of the shots in this one! :D

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

For some actors, wearing contacts is really uncomfortable, and for some it's downright torture. There was a behind-the-scenes bit with Daniel Radcliffe in one of the final Harry Potter DVDs (can't remember if it was part 1 or 2), where he talked about how way back in the Philosopher's Stone they'd tried him with green contacts and they were absolutely agony for him. Fortunately no one insisted that he have green eyes just because the books said he did -- so long as he had "Lily's eyes," the actual colour was less important.

(Just googled and I found a transcript of that conversation. It was on the Part 2 disc.)

24. watchthis!!

Some Oscar news/articles:

Oscar best picture horse race to be a photo finish between 'Gravity,' '12 Years,' 'Hustle'
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment...ish-between-gravity-12-years-hustle-1.1708736

The movies vying for a Best Foreign Language Film Oscar (Video)
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26384264

Egypt: Oscar-nominated The Square never screened at home
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-26388918

10 of the all-time best Academy Awards ceremony moments
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/feb/28/oscars-2014-top-10-moments-academy-award-history

Jen, Jack, John, George, Jane, Jennings and even a few whose names don't start with a "J"sound.

10 Critically-Despised Movies You Didn't Know Were Nominated for Oscars (PHOTOS)
    http://news.moviefone.com/2014/01/17/critically-despised-movies-oscar-nominated/

Come on...Bugsy Malone was fun and The Village was AWESOME! I'm happy I have never had to sit through Norbit, though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.