Let's Talk Movies! #25: McKellen, Meryl, DeNiro, Shirley, Morgan...OLD PEOPLE ROCK!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 27, 2013.

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  4. December 25th - August: Osage County

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  5. December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  7. December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  8. January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  9. January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  10. February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  11. February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  12. February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Ooooooops.... Wrong thread :slinkaway

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I shouldn't post when I'm too tired. Hehehehehe

3. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

I watched "The History Of The World In Two Hours" last night. It's a documentary done by the History Network I believe. It was very watchable and quite speedy, believe it or not! :lol: But some of the earlier explanations of things came to be were something I struggled with. I'm agnostic, but some of the creationist theories seem more believable to me. For an entire universe to appear in the blink of an eye as the result of a big bang? Come on, seriously? :D But it was fun. And most of the stuff I new, but to see it all in one continuous telling made it all gel together well. Actually, there was lots of little details I didn't know exactly, so it was quite informative too. I recommend it.

4. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Hmm. This week is the weakest ever that I can remember for new movies releases. None are going on my To See lists. Althought Zach Efron is looking so incredibly buff and toned these days that if anyone sees That Awkward Moment and gives it the slightest of thumbs up, then it's going on my DVDs To See list. :D

January 31st - That Awkward Moment - Romantic comedy with Zac Efron, Imogen Poots and Miles Teller
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgUNGYNd3o
    One million views

January 31 - At Middleton – Romantic comedy with Andy Garcia, Vera Farmiga and Tom Skerritt
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBkGzydFIw

January 31 - California Scheming – Thriller with new cast and Chad Lowe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nfFTyQktms

January 31 - Brightest Star – Romantic comedy drama with Chris Lowell, Allison Janney and Clark Gregg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KNsaSp0P9U

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I am looking fine ward to Robocop despite my misgivings. I loved the original and hope they do it justice.

6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I get the feeling from the trailers it is just a good opportunity to do a whole lot of collateral damage.

7. watchthis!!

Oscars kill Original Song nomination for 'Alone Yet Not Alone'
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/01/...-nomination-for-alone-yet-not-alone-breaking/

The "composer, a former governor of the music branch and current member of its executive committee, took advantage of his leadership position to improperly lobby fellow members of the branch".

People should know better by now that they can't get away with this kind of stuff. I'm actually wondering if this whole thing was a big publicity move. According to imdb.com, this movie isn't getting a wide release until this June. It's probably a movie that would have come and gone with little fanfare. Now maybe it will be acknowledged in the press more than it would have been otherwise...and get a bit more box office attention. Complete unsure if this could be their strategy, but it makes me wonder!

Casting Net: Meg Ryan to direct, star in 'Human Comedy' adaptation; Plus, Forest Whitaker in 'Taken 3,' more
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/01/29/casting-net-ryan-whitaker/#more-124037

Ryan's directorial debut and news about Daniel Craig, Emma Roberts, Richard Gere and Sam Worthington

'Entourage' movie: Billy Bob Thornton in talks to play billionaire cowboyhttp://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/01/29/billy-bob-thornton-entourage-movie/

It will hit theatres in 2015 and Thornton will play the financier for Vinnie's big-budget movie of Dracula.

Casting Net: Benedict Cumberbatch joins military thriller; Plus, Kristen Stewart boards 'Still Alice,' more
    http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/01/28/casting-net-cumberbatch-stewart/

Includes news about Julianne Moore, Chris Pine, James Marsden and many more

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

One of the backstory tidbits: Bette Davis received her TENTH oscar nomination for her role in this film which so pizzed off Joan Crawford she schemed up a delicious revenge. Bwahaha. Whee!

Catch this mega$$$$box office flick again on TCM next Thursday afternoon.:)

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Eli Glasner, who's my favourite movie reviewer (he's often delightfully snarky, and I agree with him about 90% of the time) had this to say about Labour Day:

"... And oh, the pie! Labour Day will do for fruit-filled pastry what Ghost did for potter. Shot after shot of Brolin's manly hands pushing into the dough."

:lol:

review

10. watchthis!!

I watched The Showgirl Must Go On last night, it's the live show Bette Midler did in Las Vegas. I'm pretty sure it's the show a friend of mine went to when she was there. Except she paid either $250 or $350 per ticket and I got the DVD from the library for free! :lol: It was very good...but short. Only 79 minutes. It's ballad-heavy, but she evens that out with some hilarious comedy monologues. There's two or three dance numbers for the female-only dance cast which are visually beautiful and gives Midler time to change into something new. Tons o' fun, especially at this price. :D

Sounds like Brolin made Eli's dough rise. :)

11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Oh, you said Bette Midler. At first, I read that as Bette Davis and I was like, what?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I watched Wanderlust (Paul Rudd, Jennifer Aniston, Alan Alda, Justin Theroux, Malin Akerman, Ken Marino, Lauren Ambrose and Linda Lavin) the other day and thought it was a lot of fun. The flow of the whole movie stumbles a bit in the final third, but overall there's lots of good stuff in her for me to recommend this one to all of you. Not sure why it did so poorly at the box office. Probably because they went after the audiences of recent R-rated comedies (The Hangover, Ted, etc.). They could have easily made this a less raunchy movie, but the whole
    nudist
    sub-plot would have had to be dropped. Anyway, it was welcome viewing after all the dramas I've seen of late. Oh, and I can see why Aniston fell for Theroux, he's magnetic in this movie! :swoon:

I read somewhere recently that Walt had connections to the Nazi party, but after a very brief google search (I want to go get some lunch!) it looks like that is either not true or pretty much exaggerated. There's still Song of the South, though.......

Harumph. Now if you and a million of your friends had been a bit more supportive, maybe Aaron would have debuted inside the top five! ;)

Well, it can be revolutionary...and still weird! And I'm stickin' to that! :lol:

14. watchthis!!

Sundance Deal Wrap-Up: Anne Hathaway, Kristen Stewart Films Remain Unsold
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sundance-deal-wrap-up-anne-674833

Others mention in the article include Zach Braff, Kristin Wiig, Ted Danson and Kurt Russell.

GLAAD Media Award Nominees Announced
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/glaad-media-award-nominees-announced-675568

Does anyone know what the gay connection in Philhomena is? (You might want to spoiler your answer if you post here so no one gets made at us. :D) And has anyone been watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine? I saw a few of the first episodes, don't remember there being any gay characters in it though. Also, I didn't realize that they don't have any acting nominess, just categories for movies and TV shows.

'The Great Gatsby' Sweeps Australian Academy Awards
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/great-gatsby-sweeps-australian-academy-675596

It won six of the seven awards it was nominated for.

15. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Here's the answer to your question:
    One of the twists in the film is that when Philomena learns more about her son, it is discovered that he is gay.

16. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I don't want anyone but Michael Caine as Alfred.

I don't think I am going to be ready for this new Batman film at all. I probably won't even go, unless it gets absolutely stellar reviews, and I honestly do not think it will based on nothing more than gut feeling.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I saw 'Her' today. I had expected a really good movie. Instead, I found it boring. May be it was just a bad day to see it. Sometimes a movie seems really uninteresting on first viewing, but really good on second viewing. I am hoping that is the case. I liked the idea behind it, and Joakin Phoenix was great, but the movie just didn't work for me, at least today.

18. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Here's the TCM link to 31 days of Oscar: http://31days.tcm.com/#/day/1/

Your personal list looks great! Ones on it that I have seen:

Tess - saw this around the end of high school
    Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? - so good it's bad! Oh wait, did I say that wrong?? :lol:
    Sounder - handkerchief, please!
    The Red Shoes - tried hard to like it and did a pretty good job at it! :p
    The Adventures of Robin Hood - saw this recently, much fun!
    Jezebel - the red dress scene was so perfectly done...especially since the movie is in black and white!!

Ones that are on my list to see:

The Defiant Ones
    Babette's Feast
    It Happened One Night
    How Green Was My Valley
    In the Heat of the Night
    Bonnie and Clyde

Ones I've never heard of:

Billy Budd
    The heiress
    The infamous Baby Doll
    Heaven Knows Mr Allison
    The Snake Pit
    The Bad and The Beautiful
    Captain Blood
    Lifeboat

19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Jesse Eisenberg will play Lex Luthor in the next Superman movie. I swear this film is going to blow. The more I hear about it the less interested I am of it.

20. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

The Icelandic road trip pic 'Land Ho!' looks interesting.

Not in the article but mentioned earlier in this thread, I give a big vote to 'Troll Hunter'.

21. watchthis!!

Any Roy Dupuis fans here? Anyone know who Roy Dupuis is?? :D He's probably best known for starring in the TV series Nikita (not the current one, the one in the 90's). I just saw him in a movie called Seraphin: Heart of Stone. It was good, but it was as depressing as it was good. Dupuis looks very handsome in this movie, but what an ugly story. It takes place in rural Quebec in the late 1800's. A young couple are in love, the man leaves to make money and while he is away, his love must marry the local miserly dastard in order to keep her family from going bankrupt. It's more serious than that, actually. This is more of a tragedy than a drama, so make sure you don't check this one out if you're feeling at all down in the dumps!

22. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I've wanted to see Being Elmo ever since it came out. Of course I had to wait until the controversy over Kevin Clash and the accusations of sexual impropriety were all in the news. Still, it was a good documentary even though some parts of his life story were out of order and there are gigantic gaps in the overall story. I enjoyed it even though I had to keep stopping it to go google things that came up during the movie. Like right now. I googled Clash as well as The Muppet Show and this movie, but didn't imdb Kevin Clash to see what he's up to now. According to Wikipedia, all charges against him have been dropped. Nothing is mentioned what he is doing career-wise currently. Maybe he has lots of money and is doing nothing. Anyway, I'm off to imdb to see what I can find out! :D

After the movie was over,
    my friend said something about how NASA or whichever organization was responsible for her work/voyage would have a tracking device in anything their people could travel in, so they would know where she landed and a search team would be immediately sent out to locate her and bring her home.
    Thanks. I watched one episode of that on Netflix when I was house-sitting. I plan to get the DVD's from the library, so I'll be looking forward to this. :)

Fonda to me is like most movie stars, they play a version of themselves in somebody else's situation. Meryl Streep is one of the rare actors who I see as somebody totally different from herself in the movies she is in (I'd say Mamma Mia was a rare instance of Meryl playing a version of herself). That said, I just enjoy what's there on screen. So, my favourite Fonda performances:

1. On Golden Pond (she broke my heart with the scene where she returns from Europe and walks into the lake to share what's in her heart with her father)
    2. Georgia Rule
    3. 9 to 5
    4. Monster-In-Law
    5. The China Syndrome

Some of her other movies I haven't seen in so long that I can't compare them to these movies to figure out where they'd fit in on this list. :)

23. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Saw 12 Years a Slave. Wow what a powerful movie. Makes you wonder how people can treat each other like that but they did.

24. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I saw the Oscar-nominated shorts (a/k/cartoons) yesterday. Loved Get a Horse! from Disney, Mr. Hublot from Luxembourg/France and Possessions, the Japanese entry. Friend I went with disagreed with me; she didn't like Possessions at all. I look at the shorts from an entertainment point of view, while she is more interested in the animation itself. We both disliked Feral, another USA entry, but we thought the United Kingdom's Room on the Broom was charming. They also showed three also-rans. Of these, A La Francaise from France is the best. Ireland's Missing Scarf is awful - boring, flat, totally snooze-inducing, and the USA's The Blue Umbrella is too twee for words.

This is the only Oscar category in which I have seen all the entries, and I'm curious to see which one gets the win. I'd give it to Get a Horse!

25. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I was in awe as I watched it. I'm pretty sure it will take home Best Picture. Also, what a brilliant performance by Chiwetel Ejiofor.

26. watchthis!!

Video Recap - 37 Years of 'Best Visual Effects' Oscar Winners
    http://mightymega.com/2014/02/01/37-years-of-best-visual-effects-oscar-winners/

Wow. I love this clip! :D Some of the stuff doesn't look as good as what is being done in movies today...but was wonderful for it's time. And even if it looks dated, the feelings it brings up in me is what makes it special. :respec:

Academy Advocacy: The 10 Best 2013 Films Oscar Forgot to Nominate
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/academy-advocacy-the-10-best-2013-films-oscar-forgot-to-nominate/

The ten are:

Labor Day, Mud, Frances Ha, Stories We Tell, Don Jon, Short Term 12, Blue Is The Warmest Color, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, The Spectacular Now and The Place Beyond the Pines.

Guy Ritchie & Warner Bros Developing Six-Film King Arthur Franchise
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/guy-ritchie-warner-bros-developing-six-film-king-arthur-franchise/

Hmm...is it just me smelling FLOP?? A six-pack film series. When was the last time there was a successful movie in this genre? I know Game of Thrones is huge, but that's free. Plus is Guy Ritchie someone with a successful enough background to warrant this kind of trust. Sounds like a major gamble to me.

M. Night Shyamalan & Bruce Willis Reteaming for 'Labor of Love' Film
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/m-night-shyamalan-bruce-willis-reteaming-for-labor-of-love-film/

Labor of Love is one of the first scripts Shyamalan ever sold, so this might be like his old (big) hits rather than his recent stuff.

27. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I watched 'Frances Ha' - 90 minutes episode of the HBO show 'Girls'

28. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Except, IMO, much better, with way more depth, humanity, and characters that don't always have a witty response to everything. I came in expecting to be annoyed by it and expecting a 90 minutes episode of Girls, but what I got was one of the best movies I saw this year. Much better than a few of the Oscar nominees I saw.

29. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

R.I.P. Philip Seymour Hoffman (1967-2014)

He was younger than me. :fragile: He attended New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, graduating with a B.F.A. degree in Drama in 1989.

From Wikipedia:

He won an Oscar for Capote (2006) and was nominated three more times: Charlie Wilson's War (2007), Doubt (2008) and The Master (2012). He was nominated five times for a Golden Globe, winning once for Capote. He was nominated for an Emmy in 2005 for Empire Falls. He was nominated five times for a BAFTA (Britain's equivalent to the Oscar) and won for Capote. He was nominated for a Tony three times: True West (2000), Long Day's Journey Into Night (2003) and Death of a Salesman (2012).

Other movie roles include The Talented Mr. Ripley, Mission: Impossible III, Moneyball, Almost Famous, Cold Mountain, Magnolia, Patch Adams, Along Came Polly, Punch-Drunk Love, A Late Quartet and Boogie Nights.

His 2014 movies roles are the drama God's Pocket (January 18th), the thriller A Most Wanted Man (no release date) and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (November 21st).

He leaves behind a partner and three children (Wikipedia):

30. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I've been reading about Hoffman at imdb.com and found these things which I thought were worth posting:

* He had the flu the entire time he appeared in Almost Famous (2000).

* With the exception of There Will Be Blood (2007), he appears in all of Paul Thomas Anderson's films.

* Has appeared in three films with Julianne Moore: Boogie Nights (1997), The Big Lebowski (1998), and Magnolia (1999). They each then went on to appear in separate film in the Hannibal Lecter series. Moore played Clarice Starling in Hannibal (2001), and Hoffman played Freddie Lounds in Red Dragon (2002).

* In his sophomore year of high school, he suffered an injury that prevented him from playing multiple sports.

* When asked who his acting idols were, he named Daniel Day-Lewis, Paul Newman, Meryl Streep and Christopher Walken.

* Upon accepting his Oscar for Capote (2005), Hoffman asked everyone to congratulate his mother, because "She brought up four kids alone, and she deserves a congratulations for that.".

Personal quotes:

:wuzrobbed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.