Let's Talk Movies! #25: McKellen, Meryl, DeNiro, Shirley, Morgan...OLD PEOPLE ROCK!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 27, 2013.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  4. December 25th - August: Osage County

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  5. December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  7. December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  8. January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  9. January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  10. February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  11. February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  12. February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I am surprised. There isn't enough material to make two movies out of Mockingjay. What are they going to call the two movies?

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

They don't care if there is enough material. They see $$$$$. Two separate movies mean twice the money to be made.

3. Vash01

Like the Hobbit Trilogy- should have been just one movie

4. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

"Tom Jones" "Hud" and "8 1/2" are the best from 1963 imo.
    I remember getting dragged to "it's a mad....world" as a kid. I thought it would never end!!
    "The Haunting" was on tv when I had the mumps. I was not suppose to be watching tv but I did lol. Scared the hell out of me. For yearrrrrs I never ever let my hand dangle out over the side of the bed. Now the movie is laughable esp after reading the book. THAT is v scary.
    In college I did a fantastic analysis of "the nutty professor" but danged if I can recall a word of it now. All I can tell you is it's worth watching because there is more to it than what's on the surface.

5. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

"Dr No" is worth watching/enduring because the shot where Ursala Andress emerges from the sea is A Genuine Iconic Moment. Too bad the rest of the film is so lame I comparison to that.

Ann Margret -"kitten with a whip" and "tommy" and "carnal knowledge" are my recommendations. But that film "viva las vegas" with Elvis is not bad esp the dancing parts. She can dance, goodness me !can she dance!!!!

6. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I saw Hud a few years ago and thought it beautifully observed and extremely well acted. I haven't seen many of the others. Cleopatra was dreadful, and panned by the critics, while I found Irma la Douce much too sentimental for my taste. Someone, can't remember who, when asked if he'd seen 8 ½, replied, "I left at 2 ¾."

7. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I thought the second book should have been split it two, if you needed to split any of them. The third? Not so much

8. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I love McLintock, it's a family favourite. We can literally stand around and quote 80% of the movie. Charade is a favourite of mine too. But that is largely because I have never seen an Audrey Hepburn movie I didn't enjoy. I haven't seen all of them though so who knows what can happen in the future:p. Reading that list of movies though I realised I really haven't seen that many movies from 1963. I know Hud has been on my list for a while but I either haven't found it yet or when I'm someplace that I would be likely to find it, like on the internet, which is often, I forget to look for it.

9. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Also in '63: Doctor Who airs for the first time. :)

10. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Given that I think Catching Fire the movie was actually better than CF the book, my hopes for Mockingjay as 2 movies have increased somewhat. There could be material for two movies, if they flesh out all the stuff that happened when Katniss was passed out :shuffle: I guess we'll see. So far they haven't let us down at all.

I wonder about the name, too. I mean, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part II sounds just horrifically awful.

11. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Saw both Hunger Games movies this weekend - first one on Netflix before seeing the second with family. I thought Catching Fire was MUCH better than the first. I didn't feel for anyone until Rue was killed and Katniss broke down. That was the only relationship I felt was compelling in the first one, but the second one was a lot better in establishing relationships through interactions instead of assumptions. (I haven't read the books, but I believe you shouldn't need to know the books to appreciate a film adaptation.)

I also welcomed the addition of Jena Malone and especially Sam Clafin. :grope: But Jennifer Lawrence definitely MAKES these films. They wouldn't be the same at all without her. Such a natural talent.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Here's a trivia question for y'all...no googlin'!! :lol: Entertainment Weekly mentioned a while back about three directors who were the only ones to have had at least nine movies open to more than $20 million dollars. Steven Spielberg is one. The second is Robert Zemeckis (Flight, Real Steel, A Christmas Carol, Cast Away, two Back to the Future movies, etc.) Who is the third director to have nine $20 million+ openings?

They also had an article about how Iron Man 3 was re-tooled for the Chinese market. They added bonus footage and an appearance by Fan Bingbing who was recently cast in X-Men: Days of Future Past. The article mentions that China has become the second most lucrative film market after the U.S. and that with the current rate of expansion, China will overtake North America in box office revenue in 2017. Will be interesting to see what other changes might occur in movies in the upcoming years.

I didn't post about last week's box office details. Hunger Games: Catching Fire opened to 158 million dollars...in just three days! :eek: That's a bigger number than the original and it set a record for a November opening. The previous top November opening was $142.9 million by "Twilight Saga: New Moon." HG: CF took in almost $38,000 per theatre...and this is for almost 4,200 theatres in total. Big numbers! Not quite enough to topple this year's biggest opening, which was Iron Man 3 at 174 million. The $38,000 per theatre average is pretty amazing, but it was actually bested by Disney's "Frozen", which did $243,390 per theatre. :eek: :eek: But...that movie played in just one theatre it's opening week. :D I expect it to expand this weekend. :p Captain Phillips passed the $100 million mark and the Christian film, "A Christmas Candle" changed +1,113% in box office revenue from last week.

13. Vash01

I enjoyed both Hunger Games movies but definitely liked the second one better than the first. Can't wait for the rest of the movies, even though I know (from the books) how the story will end.

14. BigB08822

I can't figure out who the 3rd would be. Who directed the Pirates movies? If that wasn't Spielberg then I would bet on that person but I have no clue, was probably Spielberg. lol What about M. Night Shamalyan?

15. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

M. Night is a better guess than I had thought. He has had seven movies open with over 20 million in box office. Gore Verbinski is also a good guess (one that I wouldn't have been able to come up with). He did the first three Pirates movies and three others opened with 20+ million (The Mexican, Rango and The Lone Ranger). I'll PM you the answer in spoiler tags in case others are still trying to guess.

16. michiruwater

I think that was Verbinski, right? He hasn't directed much else though.

Tarantino maybe? Or Michael Bay (blergh)? I don't think James Cameron, he's directed several big ones but not nine... I'm not sure who else to guess actually :lol:

Oh my goodness I missed that it was $20 million plus. I read $120 million and was like, who on earth could that possibly be... is it Tarantino?

Edit: PeterG posted while I was sitting here thinking :lol:

Edit 2: Chris Columbus? I know he did the Home Alones and the first two Harry Potters, and Mrs. Doubtfire I think. I can't think of what else :lol: J.J. Abrams hasn't made enough films I think. I could be wrong. Nolan definitely hasn't, I don't think. Inception, all three Batman films, but I doubt his other films opened to $20 million.

Probably Bay. Who sucks.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  17. BigB08822

None of the above, michi. I was surprised when Peter told me the answer but it really makes a lot of sense when I think about it.

18. michiruwater

Damn. I think I'm out of ideas. Peter Jackson? Only I can only think of five really big films (LOTR, King Kong, Hobbit, maybe The Lovely Bones?) and not nine. Tim Burton? I know he's made several big films but so many were so artsy I'm not sure they grossed $20 mil each. Tell if I'm wrong again and I can try to think of more :lol:

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

The third director to have nine movies open with more than 20 million:

Tyler Perry

20. michiruwater

Oh man. I should have thought of that.

I have to admit I absolutely hate, hate, hate his movies.

21. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Y'all have made me do some research! :lol:

9 - Steven Spielberg
    9 - Gore Verbinski
    9 -
    Tyler Perry

8 - Michael Bay

7 - Dennis Dugan
    7 - Tony Scott
    7 - Tim Burton
    7- Roland Emmerich

6 - Shawn Levy
    6 - Jay Roach
    6 - Brett Ratner
    6 - Steven Soderbergh

5 - Peter Segal
    5- Todd Phillips
    5 - Barry Sonnenfeld
    5 - Ridley Scott
    5 - Ron Howard
    5 - Chris Columbus
    5 - Christopher Nolan
    5 - Quentin Tarantino

4 - Wolfgang Peterson
    4 - Sam Raimi
    4 - Garry Marshall
    4 - Jon Favreau
    4 - James Cameron
    4 - Peter Jackson
    4 - J. J. Abrams

3- Jon Turteltaub
    3 - George Lucas

2 - Ang Lee
    2 - Martin Scorcese

0 - Oliver Stone

22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

"His" movies. You practically gave it away, michiruwater!!! :p :D

Actually, you made me check out a few female directors. Bigelow, Foster, Streisand, Penny Marshall, Sofia Coppola: all zero.

Vicky Jensen has two (both made around 40 million and went on to gross about 160 and 265 million respectively. Her two movies:
    Shrek and Shark Tale

Nancy Meyers has two: What Women Want and It's Complicated.

Betty Thomas has two, Doctor Doolittle and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel.

Nora Ephron has two, Julie and Julia and Bewitched.

Mimi Leder has one with Deep Impact (she also directed Pay It Forward and The Peacemaker).

Catherine Hardwicke has one (Twilight).

But the winner? Anne Fletcher, of course, with three: The Proposal, 27 Dresses and Step Up.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  23. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I stumbled across this on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Ukq73WeLM

Top 10 iconic horror film scenes in history.

1. Psycho - shower scene (naturally)
    2. Alien - chest explosion scene

I watched The Birds this Thanksgiving weekend (which is in the top 10). Interestingly, actress Veronica Cartwright had smallish supporting roles in both The Birds and Alien. She played a slightly hysterical little girl very effectively in The Birds and a slightly hysterical woman very effectively in Alien. LOL. I think she ended up typecast!

24. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

That was my thought too. There are so many plot holes, undeveloped storylines, and unanswered questions in the book of Mockingjay, I think there's actually a lot of potential for making 2 good movies and actually improving on the source material. Esp. when you consider that the average novel usually has too much material for a single movie without cutting.

(Even if I still think the primary motivation for making 2 movies is $$ ...)

Just re-watched Hunger Games last night and am going to a matinee of Catching Fire this afternoon. Very excited!

25. Anita18

Neither has Nolan. :p Nolan is working on his 9th feature film right now, and his first two were not wide release.

I can't see the answer on my phone, I'll have to reserve my judgement until I get on the computer. :lol:

26. Anita18

:lol: I wouldn't have guessed that one, but he does have his audience! :lol:

27. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

Only saw 2 movies this week

Captain Phillips
    An ok movie IMO. Good performance from Tom Hanks, and it gave some more depth to the pirates characters (but you still hate most of them!). Some heavy stuff with the US Navy.

Me, Myself & Mum (Original title : "Les Garçons et Guillaume, à table")

Really good movie, well-written and touching story, great editing, some beautiful scenes. The mom is :rofl:

28. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen Jena Malone in a film in about ten years. She was a decent child actress but she was horrible in this recent Hunger Games. What the hell happened to her? I was cringing at her performance. I came online and checked out some other film boards and see I am not alone in thinking her performance was very amateurish. I enjoyed aspects of the movie, but remember when sequels used to be self-contained stories? Nowadays many sequels, particular in trilogies, are just superficial bridges in between the first and final films. How disappointing and lazy, a ripoff too.

29. BigB08822

That's interesting. I have read quite a few reviews that say Jena Malone was surprisingly good in Catching Fire and that people were not expecting her to work in the role but she did better than expected.

30. Anita18

I actually loved her in Catching Fire - she was sarcastic and caustic and stole the show, and from what I understand (since I've never read the books), that was accurate to the character she was portraying. YMMV I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.