Let's Talk Movies! #25: McKellen, Meryl, DeNiro, Shirley, Morgan...OLD PEOPLE ROCK!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 27, 2013.

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. December 13th - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

29 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. December 18th - Her - Drama with Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams

16 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. December 20th - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  4. December 25th - August: Osage County

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  5. December 25th - Grudge Match - Comedy with Sylvester Stallone and Robert De Niro

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. December 25th - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Comedy/fantasy with Ben Stiller and Kristen Wiig

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  7. December 25th - The Wolf of Wall Street - Crime drama with Leonardo DiCaprio,

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  8. January 10th - Hercules: The Legend Begins - Action adventure with Kellan Lutz

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  9. January 17th - Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - Action adventure with Chris Pine and Kenneth Branagh

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  10. February 7th - The LEGO Movie - Family action adventure comedy with Will Arnett and Channing Tatum

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  11. February 7th - The Monuments Men - War drama with George Clooney, Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  12. February 12th - RoboCop - Action adventure sci-Fi with Gary Oldman and Samuel L. Jackson

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I interpreted the end as her being reborn and having to learn to live life in a new way, a happier way. That was shown in her struggling to take those first few steps after struggling to even stand.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I was too busy being freaked out over her practically drowning. Nothing in that movie freaked me out until she plunged into that river and struggled to get out.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

New movies coming out this week:

January 24th - I, Frankenstein - Horror/thriller with Aaron Eckhart, Bill Nighy, Miranda Otto and Jai Courtney
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxOSPfUw3qw
    3.9 million views

January 24th - Gimme Shelter - Drama with Brendan Fraser, Vanessa Hudgens, Rosario Dawson and James Earl Jones
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjyi_dMhyIs

January 24 - Enemies Closer – Action thriller with Jean-Claude Van Damme, Tom Everett Scott and Orlando Jones
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHrYuULPUuc

January 24 - Run & Jump – Drama with Will Forte
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrM5BfJehfE

Gimme Shelter is on my To See list. I didn't like the first I, Frankenstein trailer and didn't bother to watch this new one. If y'all go see it and rave about it being the best movie of the year, I might reconsider. :D I'm going to skip the Jean-Claude Van Damme comeback and I was open to Will Forte's movie...the trailer was decent, but not good enough to really grab my attention.

4. watchthis!!

watchthis!! Active Member

I saw "Cry The Beloved Country" last night. It stars James Earl Jones and Richard Harris. I thought it was a big, award-winning movie but from looking at different sites I see that it didn't even make a million at the box office and didn't get any award nominations of note. I thought the movie was pretty good, about two South African men (one black and one white) who are basically neighbours but have little to no connection because of their races (and maybe their classes as well). And then a random happening bring them together. The performances were great, you would be hard pressed to find two more talented actors. But some of the changes that happened throughout the movie seemed too simple/quick for my liking. But overall I recommend this one. :)

5. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

After all the completely unbelievable things she endured in the movie (like hurtling into a space station that would be [in reality] flying at 15,000 miles-per-hour through space and only getting knocked about) that they would kill her off in the last two minutes did you? Too me, it was just one more preposterous and torturous thing they made her character go through. :shuffle:

6. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Knights of Badassdom finally came out this week. It's not a bad way to kill an hour and a half. The cast is certainly awesome, and I think its target audience will enjoy it. the Tugg screening had plenty of people and they all seemed to be having fun watching the movie.

7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

The Wackness - a strange one. Starring Josh Peck, Ben Kingsley and in small roles, Famke Janssen and Mary-Kate Olsen. Another depressing movie about lost people living their lost lives. The acting was good, but the script was quite the downer. Mary-Kate had a TINY role, but she was spot-on. She was also brilliant in Beastly...I have no idea why she doesn't act more. I see from her imdb profile that she did eight episodes in Weeds. I haven't seen that show (but plan to). Has anyone seen her in that? I'm interested to see if she's just as good in this as her other two most recent movies.

Boyz N The Hood (Cuba Gooding Jr., Laurence Fishburne, Angela Bassett, Ice Cube and Morris Chestnut) - This is another one I've been meaning to see for FOREVER. So again, I built it up in my head so that it would have to be the best movie of all time. I liked it, but because my expectations were so high, I felt disappointed. It's good, I recommend it, but I wanted to be able to RAVE about it!!!

Coming Home (Jane Fonda, Jon Voight, Bruce Dern and Robert Carradine) - Same as Boyz N The Hood. My expectations were way too high. Good, but not fantastic. Interesting to see Bruce Dern right at the time he is currently nominated for an Oscar. When will Voigt and Fonda get their comebacks? Voigt doesn't seem to have much coming up, but Fonda has two movies coming out this year. The first is next month's Better Living Through Chemistry which doesn't look as promising as September's This Is Where I Leave You, a comedy that co-stars Rose Byrne, Jason Bateman, Timothy Olyphant, Tina Fey, Abigail Spencer, Connie Britton and Dax Shepard. Maybe not Oscar-worthy material, but a big hit movie on at the top of her resume will help with future roles... :)

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. BigB08822

I liked her in Weeds but Weeds wasn't the type of show to allow an actor to shine. It was a GREAT show and I highly recommend it from the first season to the last, however.

I went through IMDB and Amazon and added every Meryl Streep movie ever made into a wish list. Most are quite cheap being so old but a few are around $35 or $40, I assume because they aren't popular enough to be making more copies of. Oh well, I made a wish list and will see how long it takes to get them all. I already had a few but I don't buy a lot of movies so I have to get almost all of them.

9. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I get the feeling that Jane Fonda is only doing what movies/TV (She was in Newsroom) that she wants to. I don't know that she is concerned with a comeback necessarily when you consider technically that is what Monster-In-Law was for her in 2005 when she came out of retirement. She just seems to do what she wants. I think she still has exercise dvds coming out too.

10. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I've never been a fan of Jane Fonda's acting. I really tried. I watched They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, Coming Home, Klute, Julia, Agnes of God. etc. and I always found her acting to be so over-the-top, screechy, and she over uses her hands to the point where they're so distracting. I did, however, liked her in Walk on the Wild Side with Laurence Harvey, Barbara Stanwyck, Capucine, and Anne Baxter. I think that was due to Capucine being so wooden and stilted as an actress that Jane Fonda's over-the-top acting brought some much-needed energy into the movie.

11. watchthis!!

Movie news. :)

New 'Maleficent' TV Spot: Angelina Jolie Conjures Up More Chaos (Video)
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/new-maleficent-tv-spot-angelina-672544

"There is an evil in this world, and I cannot keep you from it." Hmm...when does this come out again? :respec:

Meryl Streep Reached Out to Emma Thompson After Oscar Snub (Video)
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/meryl-streep-reached-emma-thompson-672479

Meryl: I was really shocked. And I wrote her a long, heartfelt email saying how bad I felt.
    Emma's response: Good.

:lol:

'Jack Ryan' Franchise in Question After Snub From Younger Moviegoers
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jack-ryan-franchise-question-snub-672533

12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw I, Frankenstein today and in say skip it. The movie looks fun but the writing and acting is so bad! And Aaron Eckhart is not good at all believable in this roll.

13. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I don't think the preview clip has the bite that I was looking for. I really hope the film hasn't been too Disneyfied for the kids.

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Hmmm whenever I see Aaron Eckhart I still remember him from Thank your for Smoking in which he was fantastic. But that is my image of him.

Tomorrow is cheap movie day at my cinema. Plan on seeing a couple of movies, including Wolf of Wall Street. I also have a free ticket on my movie membership.

BTW - probably relevant to this thread. Anyone else have memberships at cinemas? My local one which is a chain called Hoyts allows you to collect points which you can reimburse at the candy bar or if you have enough you get free tickets. Cost $10 per year but then you get a free ticket when you renew. They have a $10 movie each week. But my local cinema has $10 movies on Sunday too which is about $8-9 off the usual ticket price. They only show the main releases, nothing arthouse. But it is cheap entertainment.

15. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I have 2 movie memberships:
    BowTie - is free and you get 2 points for every movie ticket you buy. 10 pts is free popcorn, 30 pts is free movie. None of my friends have the card, so I get points for them.
    AMC - $10/yr, but then you get a $10 credit for every $100 you spend on tickets and food. They have an annual 'Best Picture Showcase' that costs $70 retail, but $60 with card, and they give you $5/day for concessions on the 2 days of the best pics. I end up buying the tickets for myself and friends, so right off the bat I spend over $100 and get my $10 back.
    Both save me a few dollars for something I do already.

16. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I have a membership to the New York Times Film Club, which gives you 12 preview screenings a year and two movie premieres, for $100. The movies range from arthouse flicks to Blockbusters. So for less than $7 a film, it's a really good deal. Only catch is that for popular stuff (i.e. American Hustle), you have to be quick when reserving. I got to go to the August Osage County premiere through the club and since they put me in front (the talent get the good viewing seats) i got good glimpses when they brought Julia Roberts, Harvey Weinstein etc on stage.

17. BigB08822

It costs $20 to see a movie in Australia!? My goodness, I heard prices were high there but geez.

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I don't have any memberships. I declined AMC's movie card. I had to spend $100 just to get #10 back. I prefer the freedom to go to other theaters (locally numerous Harkins & Tempe Cinemas- the latter shows slightly old movies, that is after they leave AMC & Harkins). It helps me see more movies, and have more choices of theaters and times.

Even with continuously rising ticket prices, I can see the newest movies for $6 if I go to a morning show (before noon) at an AMC, and Harkins has a matinee rate of $7.00 (or it may be $7.50), so movies are really not that expensive here. I can buy 'anytime' tickets at Costco, which allow me to go to evening shows (which I don't do very often) for matinee prices. If I miss a movie in the regular theaters, I just see it at Tempe Cinemas for $3. The only negative is they don't have stadium seating, so heads can get in the way. The solution is to go to the movie after it's been around at least one week, and then there are enough empty seats to avoid the heads blocking a part of the screen.

I would really like to go to a movie premiere some day though. It sounds like fun.

19. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Cineplex, which owns something like 90% of the movie theatres in Canada, has a membership card that I use. It doesn't cost anything, you get points on every ticket purchase (redeemable for free admissions), and a percent off concession purchases. They also have debit card & credit card tie-ins for earning even more points but I don't have those.

But recently a new Landmark theatre opened within walking distance to me, and mostly I've been going there of late. They have cheaper admission prices all 'round (including $5 Tuesdays!), and they have assigned seats! The only drawback is that they tend to only show the "big" movies.

20. Aussie Willy

Yep it is expensive. Basically a full price ticket is about $19 and then if it is Xtreme Screen or 3D it is about $22.

So I go to my local cinema on Sunday where it is $9.90 per ticket (except the special screens at $12.50). Also I buy movie money at my local newsagent which I can use which is $13 per ticket. I always have some of those on hand in case I don't got on Sunday or go to a different location the local cinema chain. If I go with friends I will tell them I will get the movie money.

As for premieres, the only one I went to was Blades of Glory because the rink and distributors were doing some cross promotion which I was involved with. John Heder and Will Arnett were there. Selected audience members (won a radio competition) were able to ask pre-determined questions (part of a Q&A). I never got to ask about how Johnny Weir inspired the costumes in the movie.

21. watchthis!!

I saw My Favorite Wife yesterday. I think it's the first Irene Dunne movie I've ever seen. She was quite good...considering she was starring with Cary Grant who could so easily steal a picture. The part where she impersonates a southern gal was quite wonderful! :respec: My favourite line from the movie came early on
    and it was delivered by the judge. When Grant's fiance is putting on makeup and the light flashing from her compact mirror keeps blinding him, he finally says something like, "you should be washing that face instead of painting it"! :lol: He delivers the line in a perfectly cantankerous way. :D

Another highlight of the movie is Scotty Beckett who plays the young son. I checked up on him to see what else he had done. Turns out he was one of the Little Rascals! He had such a natural presence in this movie, but so charasmatic at the same time. Unfortunately, the attention at such a young age and he ended up living a life of entitlement which caused him many problems throughout his life. He died at 38 after his third suicide attempt. :( A sad story, but he left many great performances behind him that brought a lot of cheer to the lives of others.

22. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I finally saw 12 Years A Slave. The acting was phenomenal (can Cumberbatch and Fassbender be in everything? Please?) but it left me pretty cold. I've now seen this one, AH, and Gravity, and none of them came close to wow-ing me. This was probably the best of the three. So now I kind of agree with the sentiment that this isn't a great year :p I take back what I said!

Maybe I just need to see it again, because I feel like a lot of the suffering should have left me feeling something more than the 'meh' I mostly felt. I spent a while wondering why Lupita was getting so many accolades, but then of course about 2/3s through I was like, oh, that's why. I'm fine with either her or Lawrence walking away with the Oscar, both did an excellent job.

I have loved Chiwetel Ejiofor since Serenity, and seeing him onscreen with Sarah Paulson made me smile. I think he's been so underrated and I'm so glad he's having such a good year. Speaking of Paulson, I know that Fassbender is rightfully getting a lot of attention for making his character so loathesome, but I think the character whose atrocities left me feeling the most unsettled was her. He seemed generally just out of control, but the steel in her as she calmly (and sometimes not-so-calmly, but still well controlled) ordered him to do terrible things was kind of terrifying. She hasn't gotten much attention for it, and that's a shame.

23. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I have the Cineplex card too. I do however hate how expensive it is to get in but at least there is a free movie for every 10 visits and 10% off concession, every little bit helps.
    Landmark doesn't tend to get the smaller movies because they are a smaller chain. We used to have 2 here but now we just have the one. They did get Zero Dark Thirty last year but they only had it for a week. They showed Gravity for probably close to 2 months though which is a surprise for a 3 screen theatre.

24. watchthis!!

Movie news!

Watch: Every Sundance Movie Cliche in This Hilarious Parody Trailer
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/watch-every-sundance-movie-cliche-in-this-hilarious-parody-trailer/

Oooh...this is quite wicked! Be sure to read the captions between scenes! :lol:

'Grace of Monaco' Pulled from March 2014 Release for Cannes Premiere
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/grace-of-monaco-with-nicole-kidman-pulled-from-march-2014-release/

According to this article, the director is publicly feuding with the production company about "unreasonable cuts". Hmm. Wonder if this one is going the same way as Naomi Watt's Diana film.

Quentin Tarantino Delaying Western 'Hateful Eight' After Script Leaks
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/qu...ing-western-hateful-eight-after-script-leaks/

Tarantino gave the script to six people and one of them shared it with their agent, who let others see it and then actors started contacting Tarantino to be in his movie. But the script was meant to stay private - not to go beyond the original six. I heard on the radio that Bruce Dern might not be starring in any of Tarantino's upcoming projects... Wonder who the culprit was? (Or whose agent the culprit was.)

Universal Ditches Joe Carnahan's 'Stretch' Two Months Before Release
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/universal-ditches-joe-carnahans-stretch-two-months-before-release/

Bad news for Patrick Wilson fans. The article says the movie only cost five million to make and it might go straight to VOD or Netflix. They're not saying the movie is bad, just that they're finding it difficult to market. It also stars Jessica Alba, Brooklyn Decker, Ed Helms and Ray Liotta and in a small role, Chris Pine. Not a great month for Mr. Pine!

Lindsay Lohan to Produce, Star in 'Inconceivable' Psychological Thriller
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/li...star-in-inconceivable-psychological-thriller/

Like "Stretch", the budget for this one is only five million and they have already decided it will only screen in New York and Los Angeles before hitting VOD and DVD, before the movie even has a director attached to it. Will Lohan ever make it back to big studio movies? What do you think?

25. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I saw '12 years a slave' today and almost wished I had not. Not because the movie wasn't great, but it was really really hard to watch. At times I had to close my eyes, and I could not help thinking of the Nazi concentration camps. What was being done to the slaves seemed as bad as the concentration camps (not the extermination camps), except that it seemed they were getting enough food to do the hard labor. Of all the nominated movies I have seen so far this was the most impactful, but I would recommend it to only those who have the stomach for it.

I did not care for American Hustle, except for the great acting. I probably had too high expectations of Gravity; other than the awesome space shots and the knowledge that goes with it, it did not make a big impact on me. Sandra Bullock deserves the Oscar nomination though. I cannot honestly say that I enjoyed any of the nominated movies this year.

After I got home from watching '12 years a slave' I craved for something light. I only had 'Fruitvale station' from Netflix and I knew this would be a bad time to watch it. I ended up watching 'Larry Crowne' on TNT, and actually enjoyed it (missed the first half hour, I think, but they will show it again). It was just what I needed.

Saw a couple of good trailers. 'The wind rises' is on my 'must see' list. 'The Railway man' starring Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman looks interesting.

26. Aussie Willy

Just got back from watching "The Wolf of Wall Street". Felt like I was watching a later version of Goodfellas. Still really enjoyed it. Margot Robbie was gorgeous.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  27. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I watched No Logo recently, a short 2003 documentary (42 minutes) based on Naomi Klein's bestseller. It's basically Klein talking about points in her book with various footage representing what she's talking about. So it's very simple...and very excellent. I loved it. Klein is a great speaker and I'd have no problem if this had been exanped into a two-hour documentary. I'm off to Wikipedia Klein now to learn more about her. Here's a bit of the write-up about this documentary that I got from imdb.com:

I think somebody has a little crush on Adam Sandler...! :p

I teared up at the end. Didn't think I'd have that kind of reaction, it just sort of swept over me. So I hope that means that I am with soul. :)

It's interesting that you posted this because I was recently reading an older issue of Entertainment Weekly and they were agreeing with you in that the predicted a Best Actress nomination for Roberts and for Streep to be in the supporting category. But again, it's where and how the studio thinks they can get a nomination and possibly a win. :shuffle:

28. VIETgrlTerifa

Actually, I think Roberts and Streep are in the correct categories. Roberts may have had more screen time, but other than a few scenes, her character is just reacting to all the other characters around her. The character who creates the action and drama is definitely Streep's character, and she was clearly the central character of the story.

29. BigB08822

They may have predicted for Streep to be in the Supporting category because Weinstein was originally saying he was going to push her in that category. It has always been clear Streep was the lead and his announcement created a lot of talk because people strongly disagreed. He then quickly changed his tone and said Streep would be submitted in Lead and Roberts in Supporting.

However, I don't see how anyone can say it is category fraud. Roberts would have a case for lead if Streep wasn't so prominent. However, it is clear Streep is lead and Julia supports her. Everything is dependent upon Steep's character. Just going on screen time, Streep has more of it than Roberts. Did you actually see the movie?

30. VIETgrlTerifa

Are you talking to me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.