Let's Talk Movies! #24: Don, Phillips, Thor, An Oldboy, A Jackass And Even Two Chicks

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 30, 2013.

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. Don Jon

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Gravity

25 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Captain Phillips

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. The Fifth Estate

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Ender's Game

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  7. Last Vegas

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  8. Thor: The Dark World

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  9. The Book Thief

22 vote(s)
    33.8%
  10. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 vote(s)
    53.8%
  11. Grace Of Monaco

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  12. Oldboy

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I'm willing to pay theatre prices to see "all is lost." The other film I'd like to see -"12 years a slave"-I'm willing to wait til the dvd comes out. All those other films don't particularly interest me.

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Lots of films coming out that interest me, but none that I'll be rushing to see in the theatres. I had had The Fifth Estate on my list of big-screen films, but the early reviews are pretty bad. I'll still see it (I must, must watch everything with Benedict Cumberbatch!) but I'll probably now wait for DVD.

I was outside enjoying the fall sunshine for most of the long weekend, but still managed to watch 4 movies on DVD after the sun went down. ;) All good ones too.

Any Day Now -- a same-sex parental rights story with Alan Cumming. Who is the main reason this film worked as well as it did. That, and the script decisions to keep things small and focussed, rather than big and Hollywood. (Oh, and Cumming can sing!)

In the House -- a French film that's partly a student-teacher mentorship story, part voyeuristic psychological thriller. If you like to be kept guessing by a film, this one's for you. This one will stay with me for a while.

The Sapphires -- completely predictable, but it doesn't really matter because it's just so entertaining. Great performances, and some fantastic singing. I'm going to try to track down the soundtrack for this one.

The Kings of Summer -- a coming of age story with a twist. The three young leads were all excellent, I expect great things from them in the future. And some unconventional parts for the familiar faces in the adult characters. A real sleeper gem.

3. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I really enjoyed The Sapphires. Definitely predictable, but very entertaining and a lovely feel good film :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

The 30 Smartest Celebrities in Hollywood

Okay, match these IQ's... 142, 154, 160, 184

With their respective owners... James Woods, Quentin Tarantino, Sharon Stone, Steve Martin

More quizzing:

Who's the first Harvard alum to win a Best Actress Oscar?

Which famous model studied chemical engineering on scholarship?

Which current sitcom star has a has a Ph.D. in neuroscience?

Which recent winner of a best actor Oscar was co-author of an academic paper on human brain research?

Which rapper cut classes to hang out in the band room, where he could play about 15 instruments?

Which sitcom star graduated from Vassar College with a degree in biology, and after graduation, worked on a study concerning hemispheric dominance and headache types?

Which movie star treated patients as a licensed obstetrician by day and at night scooped up as many stand-up gigs as he could?

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Steve Martin=142, Sharon Stone=154, Quintin Tarantino=160, James Woods=184

1. Natalie Portman
    2. Cindy Crawford
    3. Maxim Bialik
    4. Colin Firth
    5. Flavour Flav
    6. Lisa Kudrow
    7. Ken Jeong

Thanks for the quiz! That was fun. :D

6. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Buzz...
    ...you should spoiler your answers in case others want to take the quiz. :)

7. Artemis@BC

Is "spoiler" a verb now? :p

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Way to spoiler the quiz!!! My day is ruined!!!

Who was the obstetrician?

9. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

The sitcom star with the PHD is
    Mayim Bialik from The Big Bang Theory.
    Is the obstetrician
    Ken Jeong?

10. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

The chemican engineer is

Cindy Crawford. Went to Northwestern

The 184 Iq is supposedly

James Woods. Incidentally, I saw him at NYCC this weekend promoting a Science Channel show he was hosting and he did not seem out of his depth talking about robotics with academics

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

12. BigB08822

So you're saying the article is full of SPOILERS?!

13. Artemis@BC

Not really a movie but it's happening in the movie theatres so ... anyone else planning on going to the National Theatre Live screening of M*cbeth? Tomorrow night at selected Cineplex theatres in Canada (with repeats on Oct 19 and 23), and various dates in the US.

I'm actually a teensy bit bored with Branagh's Shakespeare interpretations, but he didn't direct this one ;), and from the trailers the production looks amazing. Plus The Scottish Play is one of my faves, and Alex Kingston as Lady M. should be great.

14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Is M*cbeth based on the play, "Macbeth"?

:p

:lol:

15. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

16. Artemis@BC

I know it's only within the theatre that you can't say the name ... but IMO, you can't be too careful with a curse. Esp. this close to Halloween. Even typing it could bring about dire consequences!

:cheer:

17. Wyliefan

I swear I don't know how Rowan Atkinson kept a straight face through all that.

18. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I have updated my district registration, am meeting my quotas, and am on the lookout for subversive activity. But now President Snow is sending me advice about the latest Capital fashions.

19. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

This past week I watched two old(er) movies and three recent documentaries.

Captains Courageous (1937, with Spencer Tracy, Freddie Bartholomew, Lionel Barrymore, Melvyn Douglas, John Carradine and Mickey Rooney) - It was interesting to see Mickey Rooney in such a small role compared to Bartholomew as Rooney is so well known now and Bartholomew is kind of a footnote. Interesting to have the TCM people inform me that Freddie was a major box office draw for a couple of years, maybe the #1 box office draw at one time? (Who knew there was a male Shirley Temple? Well, a non-singing one, anyway!) :D Always great to see Tracy on screen, even with a questionable Portugese accent/characterization. A pretty good film overall.

The Lion In Winter (1968, with Peter O'Toole, Katharine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton) - I found the first half-hour to be a lot of loud, fast-paced yammering, but then when it slowed down a bit (if only momentarily), I found myself quite drawn into the story. At first I was thinking, `Streisand had to share her Oscar win with THIS performance of Hepburn`s``, but later in the movie, Hepburn had opportunity to show more than one dimension to her character, so I felt the Oscar tie was one of the best Oscar decisions the Academy ever made. I`m not sure if I was more impressed by the performance of Hopkins or Dalton, the latter in his only second screen role and holding his own quite well with O`Toole. Hopkins had a few nice slightly understated moments which I found surprising considering so much of his later stuff to be fairly mannered or just over-the-top. I was kind of disappointed in O`Toole, he seemed to be trying WAY too hard.

A Place At The Table - About hunger in America. Decent, but when one Doctor mentions that the issue of enough food is not the issue, not even the distribution of food is the issue, but that too many people working at below a living wage, there`s problems. I felt this comment hit the nail on the head, but the filmmakers must have felt otherwise as they did not continue on this path.

Revolution - Made by the guy who made Sharkwater. About the pollution of the world`s oceans and how if the current polluting continues, in a matter of decades there could be disastrous changes for all life. Gorgeously filmed and a little all-over-the-place, but an enjoyable viewing overall.

Kumare - The filmmaker admits during the movie that he started this project with an entirely different focus. So at times it feels like there`s parts missing, maybe because once he changed gears, he didn`t know exactly where he was going, so he didn`t have a specific ending in mind. Had to take some time off to figure things out and then go back to try to wrap things up in a nice enough little bow. Oh, the focus at the beginning was to do a documentary about charlatains in various religions and one part about taking on the persona of one fictional guru became the movie`s focus. Interesting idea, but because things happened on the fly, one is left feeling somewhat uneasy with things he does, specifically gaining trust in those looking for greater meaning in life and taking advantage of their openness. This one is worth a movie, but I think now I feel his irresponsibility has at least some level abusiveness, which he doesn`t really own and-or apologize for....

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Anyone know the British movie "Belle"? It's Wikipedia page says it opened September 8th but I can't find it anywhere. I would love to see it.

21. BigB08822

I caught Movie 43 tonight on Netflix. What a raunchy and disgusting movie. I loved it.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Artemis@BC

I spotted that one yesterday too, it was a featured trailer on IMDB. I was sufficiently interested enough to look it up. They have May 2014 as the release date.

(Sept 8 would have been the TIFF "release" -- somewhat confusing and misleading, but it's not at all uncommon for it to be months later for a full release.)

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  23. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Would You Let Your Child Watch an R-Rated Movie? Brad Pitt Would!

Brad Pitt talks about his new movie, 12 Years A Slave. It's rated R, so no one under 17 can see the movie unless accompanied by an adult. In this article, Pitt says he "maybe" would let his 12 year old son Maddox watch this movie. (Which I've heard can be quite harsh/brutal at times.)

So how many parents do we have reading this thread, and what are you personal guidelines for what your child can and cannot watch?

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

dp

25. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I am not a parent but I think it is important for adolescents and teens to see this movie.

26. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I saw Beasts of the Southern Wild last night. I loved the music, hated the camerawork, and was completely unmoved by the story and the characters. Although the fact that I got up at 2:30 AM to go to work, which then proceeded to last for 13 hours, might have something to do with that. My brain was quite sluggish when I watched the film. :shuffle:

Tomorrow I'm seeing The World's End, at last. :)

27. BigB08822

I haven't seen the movie but from what it sounds like, it gives a real look at slavery and not some Hollywood version of it. I think that is important for teens to see so 12 years old isn't so bad. I would just want to talk to the kid about it, first and then after.

28. Wyliefan

Speaking as a non-parent (but someone who can remember her own childhood), I think parents need to know what their children can and can't handle, and act accordingly. I would have been utterly wrecked watching that movie at 12. Lots of kids would probably be unfazed.

29. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

My dad let me watch rated R movies when I was 5 or so. I was never fazed by them. My sister, on the other hand, was a lot more sensitive. We saw Titanic (which, yes, is PG-13) in theaters when I was 8 and she was 6, and she cried for basically the entire second half of the film as the ship sank if I remember correctly.

30. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

A lot of films seem to have a higher rating in the US than in Europe, or at least Sweden, which I interpret as a sign that some conservative lobby group in the US would rather ban young people from seeing films with a bit of nudity/violence/sex/swearing/"adult concepts" than to actually talk to kids about what those things mean and how they work.
    I was a weird kid. I didn't mind the blood and gore in Jurassic Park, because dinosaurs are awesome, but human skeletons scared me, which is why Mars Attacks is the only film I've ever walked out on. I still haven't seen the whole film...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.