Let's Talk Movies! #24: Don, Phillips, Thor, An Oldboy, A Jackass And Even Two Chicks

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 30, 2013.

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. Don Jon

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Gravity

25 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Captain Phillips

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. The Fifth Estate

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Ender's Game

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  7. Last Vegas

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  8. Thor: The Dark World

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  9. The Book Thief

22 vote(s)
    33.8%
  10. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 vote(s)
    53.8%
  11. Grace Of Monaco

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  12. Oldboy

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I really, really liked Side Effect too. But I'd give more credit to Burns -- and to the cast -- than to Soderbergh. Nothing against Soderbergh's direction in this film, but he was working with some fantastic material here.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that Side Effects is good. I've seen it on Netflix but haven't sat down to watch it because I never heard anyone talk about it. Now I will give it a try.

3. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I didn't really have any set plans to see Oblivion, I figured I might get around to it eventually. Then you mentioned possible Ray Bradbury influences. Now I'll have to see it.
    I've been on a constant Ray Bradbury hunt since I read Farenheit 451 two years ago. Anytime I can find one of his books that I haven't read yet I get ridiculously excited.

4. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

prawns come from District 4 :lol:

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

If you have any love for Shakespeare at all, skip the new Romeo & Juliet. Awful. Just awful. What made Julian Fellowes think he could write better dialogue than Shakespeare, I can't imagine.

6. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Side effects has lots of interesting twists that I didn't see coming. And jude law's performance was just great. It seemed very realistic. I certainly enjoyed that movie much more than I thought I would. I thought it was going to be a bit of fluff but it's sure nit. It makes you think. I do recommend it-along with "Amor" and "warm bodies." Those are the 3 most recent films I've seen that were outstanding in one way or another.

7. BigB08822

I didn't care for Warm Bodies. My husband liked it a lot but I was just bored. :shuffle:

8. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Not the kind I'm talking about. :p

I saw Rush again last night. It was still just as good, and just as intense - I was on the edge of my seat for the Nürburgring race, even though I knew exactly what was going to happen. That's some damn good storyboarding, photography, editing, and music at work there. I love the touches of humour in the film, and that the few scenes of horror aren't overdone, but still makes it perfectly clear that racing is a very dangerous thing to be doing.

9. misskarne

misskarne #408

Ahhh, the seventies...when sex was safe and racing was dangerous.

The line Niki says about "Each year, two of us die" was not a theatrical exaggeration. The death toll in the 60s and 70s was horrendous. About then, Sir Jackie Stewart, Bernie Ecclestone and the late Professor Sid Watkins banded together to make things safer.

10. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I got "end of watch" because Michael Pena is in it and I haven't seen him in a while. Omg. This film was not what I was expecting. It is very violent and graphic and emotionally moving. But if graphic gore and hand-held camera work makes you nauseous you better skip it. Otherwise it's an extremely moving film about the debilitating effects of violence on every character in this film.

11. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I watched 'Enough Said' last night. Great cast (Julia Louis Dreyfus, James Gandolfini, Toni Collette, Catherine Keener) w/ great writing for the most part.

Highly recommended!

12. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

‘Hercules’ Hunk-Off: Kellan Lutz vs. Dwayne Johnson as Dueling Demigods

Charlie Hunnam Replaced in Fifty Shades of Grey Film, Drops Out Due to Schedule

The Top Ten Highest Paid Actresses of 2013

(Anybody think Stewart might slip a spot of two in 2014? :p)

I watched Palm Beach Story recently and Rudy Vallee had a small part. I noticed this in his imdb.com profile, which I thought was very cool and wanted to share:

And from inspiring to demoralizing, this little snippet in Entertainment Weekly (the "Bullseye" colum) of a picture of Cher with Fergie: “You’re like the daughter I never had…well, used to have.”

P.S. I don't believe there has ever been one mention of "Sharknado" in any of our movie threads. Are there NO cinema lovers here anymore??? :drama:

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

What did Angie get paid for?... Is it that she's currently filming Maleficent? Because she hasn't been in anything since 2011.

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Saw Rush yesterday. I would never have thought this was a Ron Howard movie. It was really good and very well directed. I keep being impressed by Chris Hemsworth and he is just gorgeous anyway. Daniel Bruhl was fantastic (give him an Oscar). I actually liked how you got some idea of what drives these guys who do motor racing and they didn't leave you wondering what happened to them with the update at the end. Also one of those movies that make you go home and do some research about the people it is about which is what I like to get out of a true story movie.

15. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Is it for the Kungfu Panda series? Can't be for The Tourist? :lol:

16. Nell411

I kind of wondered if that was going to be the situation with that movie. Something in the trailer just seemed off.

17. michiruwater

The last Kung Fu Panda was released in 2011!

18. Artemis@BC

So Natalie Portman makes the top 10 just for the Thor movie? Don't get me wrong, I love Portman, but I had to look her up to see what she'd done recently.

19. BigB08822

I assume they go by each actresses highest paid film for the year. So it would only take one film.

20. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

yeah... I don't know :lol: I have a hard time believing Disney would pay Jolie $33 million dollars...

21. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Watched Gravity in 3D IMAX last night. The intensity was insane. The movie is only 90 minutes long, but damn do they ever pack in the suspense. I found myself numerous times wanting them to get on with scene, not because it wasn't good, but because it was so intense that I couldn't bare any more intensity. Ha! I'm still feeling affected over 24 hours later. I've been encouraging other friends and family members to go watch the film... and if at all possible, watch it in 3D IMAX (or 3D at the very least).

22. Artemis@BC

I was assuming totals for the year, but I guess single film makes more sense. But regardless, my point was that I thought it was interesting someone like Portman, who hasn't done much lately, would still factor into the top 10 -- esp. compared to actors who have been much busier and far more in the spotlight lately. Like Jessica Chastain, or Carey Mulligan, or Cate Blanchett.

23. michiruwater

Oscar winners are really expensive, and the Marvel movies are ridiculously huge. I'm not surprise Portman made the list with one film.

(Yes, I realize Blanchett won an Oscar as well, but it was several years before Portman and the one big film she's in ["The Hobbit"] is a fairly minor role.)

Portman did more last year than Angie did, in terms of movies actually being released :lol: And I don't see why Disney wouldn't pay her a large amount of money, the hype on Maleficent is pretty huge. Is this just for actual film work, or any money made at all? Because then it makes more sense to me.

24. BigB08822

Blanchett probably gets money on the back end of the Hobbit as well, so they may not know how much she rakes in until the movie is released and they count up all the box office which will not be until 2014. This is how Robert Downey Jr. made quadrillions on Iron Man.

25. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Wow, not only does Gravity hold onto the #1 spot at the box office this weekend, but it bests the #2 debut of Captain Phillips with 43 million (compared to the 25 million taken in by the Tom Hanks movie). Not necessarily bad news for Captain Phillips, as its' budget is only 55 million...exactly half of Gravity. The #1 movie again this week only dips 23 percent, so there's more positive word of mouth out there than just here on FSU! :lol: And Gravity took in a WHOPPING $11,800 per theatre average. Only one movie comes close to that...Captain Phillips with $8,516 - no other movie in the top 50 this week took in more than $4,000 per theatre (on average). Machete Kills debuted at #4 with under 4 million in revenue on a budget of 20 million. Hmm...hope it does a lot better in international box office. Or somebody might take the knife to this series... (Sorry!!!) :D

New movies out this week (ones listed earlier in bold):

October 18th - Carrie - Horror with Chloë Grace Moretz, Julianne Moore and Judy Greer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxwPUSWRaJo
    6 million views

October 18th - 12 Years a Slave - Historical drama with Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano, Paul Giamatti, Brad Pitt, Alfre Woodard, Quvenzhané Wallis and Sarah Paulson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiw1cYXQw4g
    4 million views

October 11th - The Fifth Estate - Drama with Benedict Cumberbatch, Daniel Bruhl, Laura Linney, Anthony Mackie and David Thewlis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQOiS_l_0Jk
    2.4 million views

October 18th - Escape Plan - Action with Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jim Caviezel, Vincent D'Onofrio, 50 Cent and Amy Ryan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8jMf8KF8wg
    1.3 million views

October 18th - I'm In Love With a Church Girl - Drama with Ja Rule, Vincent Pastore, Toby Mac, T-Bone, Michael Madsen and Stephen Baldwin
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEmqu0zNkT8

October 18 - All is Lost – Action drama with Robert Redford
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJBmBMsjv7A

October 18 - Broadway Idiot – Documentary. From imdb.com: “Broadway Idiot follows Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong from a punk rock concert at Madison Square Garden to the opening of his musical American Idiot on Broadway - only ten blocks away, but worlds apart.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BSPh6QhLYc

October 18 - Paradise – Comedy with Julianne Hough, Nick Offerman, Holly Hunter, Russell Brand, Octavia Spencer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEpXPgptx34

October 18 – Torn – Drama, new cast and John Heard. From imdb.com: “Two families bond when their teenage sons are killed in an explosion at a suburban mall only to discover one of their children is the prime suspect.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjyJI2YTOm4

October 18 - Kill Your Darlings – Biographical drama with Daniel Radcliffe, Elizabeth Olsen, Michael C. Hall, Ben Foster, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Kyra Sedgwick
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB0Qh97Vmxo

October 18 - American Promise – Documentary. From imdb.com: “This intimate documentary follows the 12-year journey of two African-American families pursuing the promise of opportunity through the education of their sons.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knFReWtLkgc

October 18 - Haunter – Horror mystery thriller with Abigail Breslin and Stephen McHattie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sClAdBHrZNg

October 16 - Camille Claudel: 1915 – Biographical drama with Juliette Binoche
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsB9QoMgr0I

October 18 - Adventures in the Sin Bin – Comedy with new cast and Ben McKenzie & Tim Blake Nelson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-N9Yl_g8JM

October 18 - Lost for Words – Romantic drama with Sean Faris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT2Ed7b87D0

October 18 - Birth of the Living Dead – From imdb.com: “A documentary that shows how George A. Romero gathered an unlikely team of Pittsburghers to shoot his seminal film: Night of the Living Dead.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TowiviD3xgE

October 18 - Two Jacks – Comedy drama with Sienna Miller, Jack Huston, Billy Zane and Jacqueline Bisset
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MDt6Uhgm18

I mentioned earlier that I'll be seeing Carrie on Sunday, I'm also interested in All Is Lost, it looks really well made. Broadway Idiot looks good to me, but definitely one to wait for on DVD. Paradise has gotten a horribly low rating on imdb.com (3.5! :eek:), but I think the trailer looks decent - and what a cast! So I'm in. And I'm interested in Torn even though with only 5,000 views of the trailer at youtube, it looks like this has zero marketing push behind in and will probably be in a tiny number of theatres for a week (maybe two) and then go directly to DVD. But I'm going to keep an eye out for it. Okay, here's a test to see if anyone reads this far in my weekly posts of box office info and new releases. Which of the movies coming out this next weekend are you most looking forward to from the above list? Curious to see how many people will answer this question. :)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  26. BigB08822

I will answer!

I am interested in Carrie but I don't think I will be running to the theaters to see it unless some friends want to go.

Torn seems interesting but I doubt it plays around here but should be out on DVD rather soon.

12 Years a Slave has one good looking cast (Fassbender and Pitt?!) but I need to watch the trailer. I've heard of it before, though.

27. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Saw 'Gravity' today. Enjoyed it. Definitely an event movie that needs to be experienced in 3D on the big screen. I saw it in IMAX also. I think this type of movies doesn't need big stars to carry it; It would have been interesting had two unknowns been cast in the leads. One minor criticism is that I didn't really care for the main character's back story; I find that the screenwriter and director are often too manipulative when using that storytelling device.

CNN article on why audience should stop fact-checking non-documentary films :).

28. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Article is interesting - and I get it for most movies. I saw the Butler and enjoyed it and Forrest Whitaker is amazing. It is not that I minded the inaccuracies, but just that The Butler's son was always in thick of things, seem contrived. Plus it focused on civil rights, I would have enjoyed other topics of the era too. It felt manipulative to me and that is what turns me off.

On another movie....
    In my movie preview film club - last week we saw a Belgian movie 'The Unbroken Cirlce Breakdown' - very good movie, great acting. But there was something off in it. There were scenes I would normally be crying during the movie and heartbreaking things occurred, but I did not shed a tear. Not sure why, other than somehting was off in the movie. It is getting good reviews. But a few other people in my film club felt the same way.

29. Nell411

I am interested in Carrie but I'm really not a horror movie fan. I may wait until it shows up on Netflix then I can skip to the next part if I feel the need. I would normally just avoid it but I really like Julianne Moore.

I saw Gravity today. It was absolutely stunning. I would watch it again just to stare at it and absorb the stunning visuals. Sandra Bullock was really good as well, it's probably the best I've ever seen her. But this movie is really all about the direction and the visuals. It's just so pretty.

30. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Just finished watching Beautiful Creatures. I liked it, but doubt it will make my Top 10 Best Movies of 2013 list. :lol: But it's a great looking movie with a wonderful supporting cast and two decent leads. The worldwide box office was 56 million on a budget of 50 million so I'm guessing the three other books in the series won't make it onto the silver screen.

Glad to hear you liked it. I have it on hold at the library, so I'll be seeing it soon. Really great cast, wasn't sure I'd be drawn in by the storyline, but with your recommendation I now hope to be! :D

Good info. Maybe with this movie they have a limited team to publicize it, so the one team moves with the movie as they are about to open it in a new country. Seems out of date with the big publicity machines/campaigns of today, but if you're a smaller movie, maybe this is how it has to be done.

:rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.