Let's Talk Movies! #24: Don, Phillips, Thor, An Oldboy, A Jackass And Even Two Chicks

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 30, 2013.

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. Don Jon

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Gravity

25 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Captain Phillips

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. The Fifth Estate

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Ender's Game

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  7. Last Vegas

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  8. Thor: The Dark World

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  9. The Book Thief

22 vote(s)
    33.8%
  10. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 vote(s)
    53.8%
  11. Grace Of Monaco

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  12. Oldboy

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I just saw Gravity, and I agree with the majority. It was absolutely riveting. My husband, however, argued that it was too improbable, and that rather spoiled it for him.

I was also very impressed with the sound editing. The dramatic silence, and then sudden sound when she had atmosphere really added to the intensity of the film.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Saw "In a World..." and while it's a cute story if you view it as a sister-sister bonding or romantic comedy, Lake Bell's attempts at trying to convey more bold themes about father-child bonding (when working in same field) and females breaking into male-dominated industries got muddled in all the fluff regarding foreign accents and May-December relationships

3. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

So of course Gravity debuted at #1, taking in 55 million. The budget was 110 million. This might be one of those movies that makes more money overseas than in the U.S. So if it doesn't make 110 million in North America, it should make a profit. Who knows, with good word of mouth it might have staying power, although most movies drop substantially each week after being released. Runner Runner debuted at #3 with almost 7 million on a 30 million budget, I was thinking this meant it will be a bomb, but it's made 12 million overseas, so calling it a bomb would be a mistake! Not at all convinced with Justin Timberlake in any sort of leading man role, especially anything close to being a tough guy. He is definitely a lover (/dancer), not a fighter.

Oh, one other thing about Gravity...it made over $15,000 per theatre on average :)eek:) The next best average in the top 20 is Pulling Strings which debuted at #9 with 2.5 million box office and a per theatre average of $6,375 . That one is the charming romantic comedy you all watched the preview for last week, right? Right?? :lol: :p

New release for the upcoming weekend (previously mentioned films in bold):

October 11th - Captain Phillips - Thriller with Tom Hanks and Catherine Keener
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzU3UJuV80w
    1.8 million views

October 11th - Machete Kills - Action with Amber Heard, Mel Gibson, Sofía Vergara, Jessica Alba, Danny Trejo, Michelle Rodriguez, Vanessa Hudgens, Antonio Banderas, Cuba Gooding Jr. and Lady Gaga
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO1WwOQowlg
    2.5 million views

October 11 - The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete – Drama with Jeffrey Wright, Jennifer Hudson, Anthony Mackie and Jordin Sparks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_hbhmfXJQ

October 11 - Romeo & Juliet – Romantic drama with Hailee Steinfeld, Douglas Booth, Paul Giamatti, Damian Lewis, Ed Westwick and Stellan Skarsgård
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHfIzTSUpz4
    1.9 million views

October 11 - God Loves Uganda – Documentary. From imdb.com: “A powerful exploration of the evangelical campaign to infuse African culture with values imported from America's Christian Right. The film follows American and Ugandan religious leaders fighting sexual immorality and missionaries trying to convince Ugandans to follow biblical law.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x3PTLQRQbA

October 11 - All the Boys Love Mandy Lane – Horror mystery thriller with Amber Heard and Anson Mount
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9lA94P7shQ
    6.4 million views

October 11 - Great Expectations – Romantic drama with Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham Carter, Sally Hawkins and Robbie Coltrane
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob7qUkYfF-g

October 11 - CBGB - Musical drama with Alan Rickman, Rupert Grint, Ashley Greene, Malin Akerman, Stana Katic, Johnny Galecki, Freddy Rodríguez , Bradley Whitford, Donal Logue and Justin Bartha
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6JsgZU9jHY

October 11 - I Will Follow You Into the Dark – Horror with Mischa Barton and Ryan Eggold
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x7wZZ4IIPE

October 11 - Zero Charisma – Comedy, new cast. From imdb.com: “An overgrown nerd who serves as Grand Master of a fantasy board game finds his role as leader of the misfits put into jeopardy when a new initiate enters the group.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtgoAt7ZTyE

The Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete looks good, as does God Loves Uganda. Interesting note about All the Boys Love Mandy Lane: it was made in 2006, but because of a studio bankruptcy I believe, this movie was shelved until legal matters were dealt with. Trailers have been around for years, that's why it has more views than the other big movies coming out this week. The director is Jonathan Levin whose most recent film is Warm Bodies (with Nicholas Hoult) which we all seemed to love. And before that, 50/50 with Joseph Gordon Leavitt and Seth Rogan. Levin also directed The Wackness which I've heard a lot of good stuff about, but haven't yet seen.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Elec horseman is avail online but please, spare yrself the misery. Really. Seriously. Despite 2 great actors the script seriously sucks and neither actor can overcome the inane dialogue and "action." If it's cowboys you want there are many gd westerns out there.

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

There is no way that Gravity won't make a profit in the U.S. It will have incredible legs.

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

PeterG, where'd you get the October 11 release date for Great Expectations? I keep seeing November for that one. (As a Dickens fanatic, I've been tracking it pretty closely.)

7. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Just stumbled across the trailer for Inside Llewyn Davis, coming out next month. I haven't loved everything the Coen brothers have done, but this one looks right up my alley. Folk music and cats? That's so me! Plus Carey Mulligan and John Goodman, both of whom I love, and what could be a star-making role for Oscar Isaac. Very much looking forward to this one.

Meanwhile, I watched The East last night on DVD. I didn't have much in the way of expectations, but whatever expectations I did have it blew them away. What a great film. It reminded me in tone of Another Earth, not surprising since Marling co-wrote that one too. It sneaks up on you, and examines all kinds of moral ambiguities -- and I love it when a movie does that. And it had one of my favourite endings for a film in a very long time. I highly recommend this one.

8. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Three recent viewings include Ginger and Rosa (Elle Fanning, Christina Hendricks, Annette Bening and Alessandro Nivola). I liked it, but found it to be a bit understated overall. It's kind of like a slice of life for a short time period of these people's lives, so things are not tied up in a neat bow like they are in so many movies. And the characters are not all black and white, but many varying, changing shades of gray. I guess personally I would have liked for a bit more decisiveness in the script. But the performances are all top notch. I DO want to know what the Fanning parents have fed their children to bring about such talent to such young people!!

Scary Movie 5 (Simon Rex, Ashley Tisdale, Charlie Sheen, Molly Shannon, Snoop Dogg, Heather Locklear, Lindsay Lohan and Darrell Hammond). They are being REALLY harsh on this movie on the imdb message boards! Really, who is expecting great art from this kind of movie? :lol: You just hope for some good (cheap) laughs and some decent parody bits. Molly Shannon is brilliant with her small part and seeing multiple takes of her work on the DVD extras might have been more funny than anything in the movie itself! :D And I love Heather Locklear, so I'm happy to see her in anything. I give this thumbs up because I've been watching a lot of serious stuff lately, so I really needed something light, funny and stupid.

The Gatekeepers. Okay, this is an example of the heavy type of movies I've been watching. And I've got three other documentaries on hand, or on their way from another library branch... Anyway, this is the one about, well it'd be easier to use the imdb.com description: "A documentary featuring interviews with all surviving former heads of Shin Bet, the Israeli security agency whose activities and membership are closely held state secrets." It took three sittings to get through this one. I recommend it because it's an important film but it definitely felt like a movie one "should" watch instead of one that I "wanted" to watch. It's definitely not a bad film in any way, but to hear so much about how people put all their energies into eliminating people seen as threats as opposed to eliminating whatever resulted in making fellow humans to be a threat to anybody. And at times to see smiles about successfully killing somebody is freaky. (I'm sure this would be true for any military leader of any country, so please don't think I'm pointing a finger strictly at these Shin Bet fellows!) It's quite amazing that the director was able to get every one of these men to speak on record about their experiences. But I think I'm at the place with documentaries that I'm tired of them focussing so much on the problem and then so little on the solution. I'm wondering if documentaries should be 1/4 set-up/problem/history and 3/4 solutions.

Here's the imdb.com release date schedule for this movie. Don't all theatres show movies digitally now? The release dates for different countries are all over the place. Releases in the UK on November 30th 2012, Canada October 11, US November 8th and Brazil not until April 18, 2014! :eek: Is it possible some movies are still shown by actual film instead of digitally? And there are limited copies of this movie, so it's slowly moving from country to country because of a limited number of film reels? :huh:

9. Wyliefan

Ah, so Canada gets it before the U.S. Lucky Canada. I've been waiting AGES for this one.

10. Artemis@BC

My guess is that different release dates in different countries have nothing to do with transporting film reels ... and everything to do with distribution deals, marketing campaigns, avoiding conflicts with similar films, bookings & scheduling with theatre chains, etc.

11. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I bought a ticket for Catching Fire this weekend. Because I MUST see it on opening day. :shuffle:

When I saw HG (also on opening day) the theatre lobby was, as expected, mostly filled with teenage girls. I was waiting on line behind a forty-ish woman and what looked to be her 2 daughters. I heard her mutter "Sheesh, I'm the only one in here over 20."
    I tapped her on the shoulder and said, "Nah, there are 2 of us."
    :lol:

12. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

There is another limited release coming called "The Invisible Woman" starring Ralph Fiennes (who plays Charles Dickens) that might interest you. I think it opens on the coasts (NY/LA) around Christmas.

13. Wyliefan

Yes, I know about it. And it doesn't sound that great, from what I've heard. But thanks.

14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I watched Identity Thief last night. Loved it. Melissa McCarthy is a genius and Jason Bateman brilliantly (and humbly) played the straight man to McCarthy's brilliant comedic abilities. I found the movie had a lot of heart as well, but not at the expense of the comedy. I thought I might watch just part of it last night and the rest later, but it was so good I had to watch it all at once. So I was surprised to see the rating at imdb.com is under 6.0. And ever people ever being harsh about the movie there!! :eek: Even numerous threads about McCarthy's weight. Weird how some boards for movies have such great discussion and some boards I scan over and then leave because the discussion is so boring!

So it looks like only RIPD bombed. It was listed as a new release on my library's website and for a second I considered putting it on hold, but luckily my better judgment prevented me from doing so. :lol: In spite of the fact that I'm in love with Ryan Reynolds. (Shhh....don't tell Colin Farrell!!) :D It's interesting how international box office can dramatically change the perception of how a movie did. Life Of Pi for example. The budget was 120 million and it made 124 in the U.S. I've heard varying numbers as far as how much studios spend on marketing, I guess it varies on how big of a movie it is, but anywhere from 25 percent of the production budget to even 100% some of the times. Because there were high hopes for Life of Pi, I wouldn't be surprised if they spent 60/70 million or so on publicity?? Which would make it a bomb even when you add in dvd sales and rentals alongwith movie channel and TV rights. BUT...the international box office for Life of Pi was a WHOPPING 483 million. :eek: So some movies don't even need to be RELEASED in the United States for the movie to make a gigantic profit!

Interesting. I haven't heard anything about that, I'm guessing that number varies by titles/movie studios/countries. I did hear MANY years ago that movie theatres made more money through the food they sell than the percentage they got from ticket sales. And that in the first week of a movie's release, 90% of ticket sales goes to the studio. Then something like 75% to the studio in the second week, and then less and less each following week. That's why theatres like sleeper hits as they make more money for the theatre owners. And I guess that's why over time movies have had bigger and bigger numbers of theatres showing their movie in week one...sometimes now over 4,000 theatres for the first week.

P.S. One thing I find strange about theatres making most of their money from food was why they don't have MUCH larger selections. In some drug stores you go into, they have a whole aisle dedicated to candy. If I owned a theatre, I'd stock food that way so that there was ALWAYS something to tempt my customers! :lol:

15. BigB08822

Theaters make almost ALL of their profit from concessions. They charge $5 or more for large cokes and popcorns that probably cost them pennies. The profit margin is outrageous. So many people get popcorn and coke because the movies is often a splurge event as it is. I doubt they make as much on the candy.

16. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I just finished watching "silver linings playbook." It gave me a headache, all those people yelling. And I have not a clue what was so Oscar- worthy about Jennifer Lawrence's performance. Was it a slow yr or what. Besides that despite everyone going and on about honesty I didn't feel the characters were all that honest. Maybe because they yelled too much I dunno. I just did not enjoy this movie too much.

17. Wyliefan

Oh, thanks for the warning. I HATE movies that are full of people yelling. One of my pet peeves.

18. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

When I screened "Gravity" a few weeks ago, the studio actually brought in two real-life astronauts -- one a woman -- to have a Q&A before the movie.

They said the portrayals were very accurate of what space is like.

Of course, there's a willing suspense of disbelief when watching films like this, but the male astronaut said that they actually train for many of the situations Sandra's character found herself in.

Next up for me are early screenings of "The Fifth Estate" and "Catching Fire" -- the latter I'm already under a strict NDA for.

I passed on multiple invites to "Romeo & Juliet" in Los Angeles AND New York -- they're really trying to build buzz around it but the campaign came too late.

19. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I, for one, wouldn't know what is believable in space. I watched this and was totally surprised by the result :lol: They do a series of these videos of how to life is like in space. Fun and informative :)

20. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I finally got to see Battle Royale last night. I've wanted to see it ever since Entertainment Weekly raved about it and then after enjoying The Hunger Games as much as I did, I knew I had to see the movie that came first. It's a great story that moves quite quickly and never lags at any point. Some of the performances are a bit over the top, but only at times. Plus I think that's the usual style for some Japanese movies (maybe only the action ones?). The movie has a good number of twists, turns and surprises that are a bonus on top of the story and performances.

It's interesting, I read at Wikipedia that they wanted to make an English language version of Battle Royale, but when the Hunger Games came out, they felt the audience would think Battle Royale would be a rip-off of The Hunger Games, even though Battle Royale is ten years older than The Hunger Games. So I guess we'll only have the Japanese original. I'd like to see an English version though, I do think the two stories are different enough that audience would like an English Battle Royale. And fi The Hunger Games can rip off Battle Royale, why can't Battle Royale do the same and now ride the coattails of The Hunger Games? :lol:

I first saw Daniel Bruhl in Goodbye Lenin! I thought he was so handsome in that, I wanted him as my boyfriend. :lol: Oh, and it's a REALLY great movie by the way! I remembered him after the movie, wondering where his career would go. So glad to see others are appreciating him and he's moved into English-language films. He will be in the soon to be released The Fifth Estate, which looks really good.

Brace yourself. There's a third Hemsworth trying to break into the movie biz. :p

I was quite pleasantly surprised by this movie. One that stays with you for a while. :)

21. Artemis@BC

Some? At times? LOL. I agree though that it was entirely in keeping with the Japanese action movie style, so although I found it OTT from beginning to end, it still "fit."

I'm glad I watched it, and can see why it has somewhat of a cult following, but it's still very much a B movie in my books. Mostly I found character motivation completely lacking. There's no setup, and too many of the kids go from "huh, what?" to homicidal maniac in 3.8 seconds.

I know a lot of people have called The Hunger Games derivative, but even if it is ... it's a huge improvement, imo.

22. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I read Battle Royale after I read HG; I wanted to see what all the plaigarism fuss was about. I loved the twist ending of BR.

Speaking of HG, did anyone else sign up on that silly website before the first movie was released? I was sorted into District 8 and kept getting pestered by emails from Seneca Crane. I couldn't figure out how to unsubscribe, but I figured they'd stop on their own because Crane bit the dust at the end.
    Unfortunately I am now getting mail from President Snow. I am supposed to meet my quotas and report any subversive activity to a peacekeeper immediately.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  23. BigB08822

You've just been reported. District 8 for the win!

24. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

District 9 for the win! Prawns forever! :p

25. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

26. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I saw Gravity and really liked it (didn't love it, though). I was totally blown away by the effects - I have no idea how they managed it. Sandra Bullock did a fine job. I definitely teared up at points.

The thought of what could happen while alone in space is far more terrifying than any horror movie. I love oxygen. :p

27. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:lol: I've seen several interviews with astronauts who have talked about how absolutely inaccurate the movie is, even though some of them enjoyed it. Here's the best of them (spoiler alert, if you haven't seen the movie you should probably skip this): http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/astronaut-fact-checks-gravity.html

28. misskarne

misskarne #408

When the castings were first announced and I looked at pictures, my initial reaction was: "Oh no! This guy is WAY too handsome to be Niki Lauda! They can't turn him into a heart-throb!"

29. BigB08822

Gravity is projected to make another $42 million or so. That is incredible and a very very small drop for a major movie.

30. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I watched Side Effects (Jude Law, Rooney Mara, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Channing Tatum) last week. Wow, that was MUCH more than I expected! What a trip! I hope director Steven Soderbergh's claim of retirement proves to be a temporary claim. He's made too many good (and if not good, then interesting) movies to be staying home and taking up gardening instead of making more movies for us. Come back to the five and dime, Steven Soderbergh, Steven Soderbergh!! :D

I checked imdb.com about this because I thought they might release it in December in two or three theatres so that it could be considered for Oscar contention. And then it would be released wide in January. But imdb.com has the release date as March 14, 2014. Not a prime release date for a studio hoping for Oscar nods...

Yeah, it's interesting to think about Oblivion and realize that a sci-fi doesn't have to be about trigger-happy evil aliens and crashes and bangs followed by crashes and bangs. I wonder if the screenwriter for Oblivion was influenced by Ray Bradbury, who I haven't read for quite a while but remember as having much more thoughtful themes in his books than we now see on screen in movies. As for Alexis Bledel/Sasha Cohen :)lol:)...I've got nothing against either. But I've always seen Bledel as wispy and Cohen as pretty gritty.

:respec: I'll see your Pat Benatar and raise you a Freddie Mercury (Love Kills).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.