Let's Talk Movies! #24: Don, Phillips, Thor, An Oldboy, A Jackass And Even Two Chicks

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Aug 30, 2013.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. Don Jon

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Gravity

25 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Captain Phillips

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. The Fifth Estate

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Ender's Game

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  7. Last Vegas

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  8. Thor: The Dark World

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  9. The Book Thief

22 vote(s)
    33.8%
  10. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

35 vote(s)
    53.8%
  11. Grace Of Monaco

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  12. Oldboy

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halffull

halffull halffull kind of day

Love, love, love Catching Fire. Can I go back tomorrow???? lol

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I loved it, too.....with a few minor quibbles. Why didn't they include the part where Plutarch shows Katniss the watch and says, "It starts at midnight"? They did show him dancing and talking with her. Ok, I suppose it wasn't essential, but for people who hadn't read the book, it would have made a good "aha!" moment when Wiress started tick-tocking. But having Snow go looking for him at the end and realizing he was a traitor was a nice touch.
    Why didn't they show the parachutes with the bread in the arena? Again, not essential, but I thought it was pretty clever to indicate the time of the rescue that way. They could have put that it. Hmph.
    District 13.....I felt this was a huge plot hole here. They omitted the scene where Katniss meets Bonnie and Twill in the woods and they tell her they're heading to district 13. Which everyone in the districts thinks was obliterated. Understandable that they omitted the scene in the woods, but then I felt Katniss should have reacted differently at the end, when Haymitch told her they were headed to District 13. Even as confused and injured as she was, she should have said, "Huh? District 13 doesn't exist"
    That being said, I loved everything else about the film. Effie! Those clothes! And showing her human side. Are they going to make her the one that is kidnapped in Mockingjay, instead of Katniss' prep team?
    Loved Haymitch showing his feelings for Katniss, and Johanna really rocked.
    Most of the new characters looked and acted exactly like I'd pictured them...Beetee, Wiress and Mags were perfect.

PeterG, Maofan7, halffull and 3 others like this.
  3. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

They had to leave quite a bit out of the movie (I especially missed their viewing of the recording of the 50th Hunger Games, which Haymitch won.....which was pretty crucial, since it gave them an idea of how to use the force field).

I'm wondering if District 13 is in Oak Ridge, TN. It has to be close enough to West Virginia (presumably where District 12 is located) to walk there, and TN fits the bill. It definitely has the nuclear weapons history, but no graphite mining. And IIRC the books refer to District 13 as being north of District 12. Maybe Washington DC? Some "maps of Panem" have District 13 located in New England (which has graphite mines), but that's a long hike from WV.

4. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I always thought 13 would be in DC. It made the most sense to me.

Leaving out a more explicit explanation of 13 was the only plot issue that really bothered me. It seemed so out of place, considering it was not mentioned in the first movie at all. I feel like, if I hadn't read the books, I would have left the theater being like, "there's a 13? Wait, when was that explained?"

Should THG have its own thread?

5. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember, Little Manhattan? It was released some time in 2005 or 2006, and stars Josh Hutcherson, with Bradley Whitford and Cynthia Nixon playing his parents. I remember finding the film to be really charming and am happy that the little boy who played Gabe went on to bigger things :)

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Went and saw Thor tonight. It was not bad. I wasn't looking forward to it and decided to see it since my husband really wanted to. I won't say I am glad I saw it but I don't regret it, either. Next up before the week off ends, Dallas Buyers Club!

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Interesting. Perhaps they figured no way would the US Academy go for an NC-17 film, or perhaps the controversy has overwhelmed the film?

I love the concept of Down With Love, and I adore Ewan MacGregor, but I cannot tolerate Renee Zellweger. I rented this film several years ago and I actually held my thumb up to block her out for a lot of the movie :shuffle:

Hoping to see Catching Fire soon.

8. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Renoir yet, but I did see Blue Is the Warmest Colour. And I didn't think it was very good. It has the scandal/shock value going for it, but not much else. JMO.

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

oh, disagree...the sex scene is overrated (and unintentionally hilarious), but the story itself is lovely and interesting. And very French (so much smoking!).

10. jollibee

jollibee New Member

An excellent and sweet little movie!

11. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Going to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 tomorrow. :)

12. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I still have that book from when I was a kid.....the drawings are amazing.

13. BigB08822

I watched Frances Ha today. It gave me a very strong Girls vibe which is interesting because one of the characters is the male lead in Girls, and of course both are set in NYC. It was good but I kind of quit paying attention at the end, kind of lost me. I still don't get what happened at the end
    did she have major success as a choreographer and get her own apartment? Seemed very sudden

14. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Saw Catching Fire today. Sooo good! There a few things left out that I wish hadn't been, but overall I really think the essence of the story was well captured. Also, IMO the story works better on screen than in the book (less of the conscious Katniss narration).

15. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Hi everybody, I'll be posting the movie thread for December/January/February soon. Please don't add anymore posts to this thread as I've just asked a moderator to close this one. :)

lmarie086 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. BigB08822

In! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.