Let's Talk Movies! #23 : A Wolverine, A Super Dude and the End of the World. Twice.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, May 29, 2013.

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  9. July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  11. August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  12. August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I trust PeterG more than his friends, who I don't know at all.

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

No offense to Peter but WWZ is getting really good reviews. I would trust his three friends on this one. It also helps that I REALLY liked it. This movie was originally projected to bring in around $48 million but word of mouth was so strong it brought in $66 million. That should tell you all you need to know. Enough people really liked this movie to convince others to go see it.

3. Vash01

For me, box office success does not necessarily mean a good movie. Sometimes it is. Sometimes not.

4. BigB08822

Of course, but when a movie greatly outperforms its projections it is often due to extra ticket sales from people who were not originally planning on seeing the movie and they are often convinced by word of mouth (or a last minute promotional blitz, but that isn't the case for this movie). I can just say what I thought and this movie was a much better piece of film than Superman which was ALL CGI and nothing else. I am not sure if you even saw Superman, though, so that comparison may not mean anything to you.

5. Vash01

I did not see Superman (Man of Steel). I was planning to, but after reading about it, I might not. I am overloaded with CGI and would like to just see a 'normal' movie right now. I enjoyed 'The great Gatsby' a lot more than any of these CGI-rich movies.

6. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I think PeterG's opinions are just as valid as anyone else's. I don't give a crap what the majority thinks. I hated the Matrix movies and I hated the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movies. I hate zombies and depressing movies and am not a huge fan of Brad Pitt. I'm more likely to listen to PeterG's opinion that those of his friends.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I'd give WWZ a 6 out of 10. It was way better than I expected it to be. But the ending just kind of comes out of nowhere and its felt weird. I loved the book so I spent most of the movie reminding myself that they weren't the same thing so I could enjoy the movie. Considering all the problems it had in production it was definitely better than it probably should have been.

8. Vash01

We seem to have similar tastes. :) I hated the Matrix, and did not see the sequels. I watched just one Spiderman movie and that was enough. I absolutely hate zombines/vampires/scary creatures from outer space type movies. I do like Brad Pitt; he is a good actor, when he has a good story to work with.

9. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I saw World War Z last night. The action sequences were good, but I absolutely hated the wife and kids. Every time the younger one opened her mouth, I was hoping she'd get eaten by zombies. And the
    there were so many head slap moments. Like the scene in Korea when his wife called him on his cell. Hello, he is supposed to be some field operative in a past life. You'd think she'd know by now "don't call him, he'll call you".

And if he gave himself an incurable disease, isn't that another problem...

10. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Speaking of zombies ... I saw Warm Bodies over the weekend. Zombies normally bore me silly, but of course because of the very nature of the film these zombies were more human. Anyway, I thought it was very sweet and highly entertaining. Nicholas Hoult was amazing in his ability to act with extremely limited facial expression, and the chemistry with Teresa Palmer was unmistakable. And Rob Corddry was his usual hilarious self. I don't think zomromcom will become a new hit genre, but for this film it worked.

I also finally watched The Sessions. I was reluctant to see this one because I think Helen Hunt is hugely over-rated and has very limited acting range -- I still think that, but she was perfectly adequate in this film. (Not Oscar-nomination-worthy by any means, but she didn't ruin it.) John Hawkes is of course the star here -- he hits exactly the right note throughout. And it's nice to see him in a likeable, non-creepy character. And his scenes with William H. Macy are worth the price of admission all on their own. As for the story ... well it's one of those that has to be based on real life because you wouldn't believe it if it were fiction. But enjoyable.

11. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

When I was watching MOS, when Jor-El hold baby Kal-El, I thought, "wow... CGI has really come a long way, that looks just like a baby!"

Of course, I later found out that they used a real baby (or four babies). :eek:

12. Artemis@BC

LOL!

As an aside ... have you seen the tv series Call the Midwife? There was a behind-the-scenes snippet that talked about the extremely realistic looking dolls they used that most of the cast couldn't tell from the live babies until they picked them up. I'm guessing that, even if they hadn't used real babies in MoS, chances are they would have been dolls/animatronics rather than CGI.

13. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Just got back from seeing WWZ and I really liked it. Agree that Brad's wife seemed out of place in her role....but I thought that when I saw trailers 6 months ago. Saw Man of Steel last week and liked it too....but agree, too many of the super hero movies spend time destroying cities. All I can think about is 'how many civilians just died by all that falling debris?". But I'm one who likes all the CGI.

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

:huh: Sounds like you already know it's not for you based on your own tastes (which are totally valid, of course). Why would you bother with anyone's opinion on the movie, as you're unlikely to see it no matter what?

For what it's worth, I thought the film looked dumb and was not planning to see it, but I do like the genre and may be swayed :sekret:

15. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:huh: Most. Depressing. Movie. Ever? :lol: You obviously need to go back and watch "Sophie's Choice." :p (One of my all time faves, but definitely one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen.)

What? "The Great Gatsby" (at least the 2013 remake) was a CGI-fest. Granted the CGI was used to create a lot of the locations/scenery, speeding car sequences, etc. over explosions, helicopters, alien spaceships, et al, but don't mistake that the film, despite being a drama, did not have a LOT of digital effects. :lol:

16. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The most depressing movie ever is The Last American Virgin.

17. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

If you want depressing, just watch any Russian movie from the 80s. I went on a glasnost era Soviet movie binge when I was 18. It took me weeks to recover.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I've seen a few quite depressing movies in my time:

Burnt By The Sun
    Blood Diamonds
    Sophie's Choice
    The Road
    Dosti
    Shutter Island

19. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Y'all can keep your depressing movies and your MoS; I went to see Monsters University yesterday. Two big thumbs up!

genevieve, PeterG, Buzz and 3 others like this.
  20. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I posted the other day about how the trailer views for films predict 90% of the time how the movie will do at the box office. If that's the case, of the two big releases this week, White House Down will kick The Heat's butt. Not only that, but will Jason Statham or Saoirse Ronan out-perform the comedy gold of Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy? Oh, and I added a new feature. After the trailer link, I've added the approximate number of views the trailer...and in some cases trailerS...(combined total) have as the last line for each movie.

June 28th - White House Down - Action with Channing Tatum, Jamie Foxx, Maggie Gyllenhaal, James Woods, Richard Jenkins and Jason Clarke
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AXbiCdmXgw

June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Demian Bichir and Michael Rapaport
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-KKx0lcn2A

The other releases this week, in rough order of what I liked best. :lol: Hey, if you wanna take over from me, you can put them in your own order. :D Some of my comments about these movies at the end.

June 26 How to Make Money Selling Drugs (Documentary with Woody Harrelson, Susan Sarandon, Eminem)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxRVhgbVN9o

June 28 Copperhead (Drama with new cast and Billy Campbell and Peter Fonda. From imdb.com: "An Upstate New York family is torn apart during the American Civil War.")
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo-j4_05bcI

June 28 The Secret Disco Revolution (Musical documentary. From imdb.com: “A documentary on the disco era featuring interview with its key musicians.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSviOtOMSxM

June 28 Laurence Anyways (French romantic drama. From imdb.com: “The 10-year relationship of a male-to-female transsexual with her lover.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YjIWEky81M

June 28 A Band Called Death (Documentary. From imdb.com: “A documentary on the 1970s punk trio Death, and their new-found popularity decades after they disbanded.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDPDm9_nX0o

June 28 Detention of the Dead (Comedy horror with Justin Chon [21 & Over, Twilight] and Max Adler [Glee])
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS66fv-BXAA

June 28 Some Girl(s) (Comedy drama with Adam Brody, Kristen Bell and Emily Watson)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzpAzzZ0KnQ

June 28 I'm So Excited (Spanish comedy with Antonio Banderas and Penelope Cruz)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkdv-La2anI

June 28 Byzantium (Fantasy thriller with Saoirse Ronan, Gemma Arterton,)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEAGYNhAlSQ

June 28 Hummingbird. aka Redemption (Action thriller with Jason Statham)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82XwtyTU_1k

June 26 Sing Me the Songs That Say I Love You: A Concert for Kate McGarrigle (Musical documentary with Rufus & Martha Wainwright, Jimmy Fallon, Emmylou Harris, Norah Jones and Loudon Wainwright III)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wFsHOGJMac

Not surprised that the three documentaries (well, except for the Kate McGarrigle tribute movie, which has a BORING trailer) interest me a lot as I am now officially OLD. :drama: And two things DID surprise me. First, Copperhead and Laurence Anyways came out of nowhere, both have great trailers, but the latter looks like a harsh tale and I'm needing some comedy and escapism these days. (Yes, I'm still depressed after watching World War Z!!! :lol: :p) Secondly, I have no interest in the Saoirse of Statham movies. Saoirse Ronan is an incredible actress, but boy this trailer is boring. And Jason Statham as a tough guy going after bad guys. Seriously? Isn't this about movie #87 with that EXACT same storyline?? :mad: As a joke I was going to say that Statham should do a period drama with Kate Winslet, but you know what, I think he could do it. Maybe a smaller, supporting role with something not too far from his persona...and a good director - and he could surprise us! But he needs to try something new, honestly!

21. BigB08822

I don't understand. I already saw White House Down but it was under a different working title, Olympus Has Fallen. Somehow, White House Down looks worse and the line the President gives about his shoes is cringe worthy. I can not imagine a President acting like Jamie Foxx, sorry.

We watched Hitchcock on DVD last night and rather enjoyed it. Not sure why all the focus on him looking at other women and her almost having an affair but ok...

22. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

:lol:

So, will Lego The Movie be on your 'to see' list? I've just seen a trailer for it and it looks like a very funny movie :)

Can't wait to see Man of Steel as well :)

23. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

24. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Watched Never Been Kissed this weekend. Drew Barrymore along with Molly Shannon, John C. Reilly, David Arquette, Leelee Sobieski and Michael Vartan. And in smaller roles, Jessica Biel, Octavia Spencer, James Franco, Jeremy Jordan and Garry Marshall. LOVED IT! My main thought while watching this was, "why have I waited so long to see this one"? (It came out in 1999.) Probably Barrymore at her best, very sweet, charming and funny. You have to give her credit for keeping the focus of the audience being surrounded by such an incredible cast. Glad to have finally caught this one. :)

I'll take Diane Lane any way I can get her. Nights in Rodanthe was the last movie of hers that I've seen and she helped elevate it to a level that other actresses could not have done. According to imdb.com she only has one project on the horizon, it might not have even started filmed yet, though. It's called "Every Secret Thing" and is a crime drama co-starring Dakota Fanning and Elizabeth Banks. The plot summary: "A detective looks to unravel a mystery surrounding missing children and the prime suspects: two young women who, seven years ago, were put away for an infant's death."

:lol: Oh, I'll admit it when I watch a movie just for the hotness factor. That's what Cavill's last project ended up being (The Cold Light Of Day). It started off so well. (And not just for the shirtless scenes.) But the ending really fell flat for me, in SPITE of the involvement of Sigourney Weaver. (Boy, do I hope she got a BIG paycheque for making her way through this dreck...!) So at the end of that movie to realize that Cavill's necked-ness was the biggest plus was a disappointment. But I'll take what I can get... :D

So only one response for the former, nothing for the latter. Sounds like I should skip both of these?

25. Artemis@BC

I remember enjoying that one very much too -- and also remember thinking that it could have been really icky but they managed to aim things just right. Didn't remember all those supporting cast members though -- except for Sobieski, who is one of my favourite lesser-knowns. Must try to find it for a re-watch.

I recently rewatched another Barrymore film, though -- Ever After. It still holds up very well, and I like the interpretation of the story.

26. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I adore Never Been Kissed, Ever After, and The Wedding Singer. All three of those are some of my favorites to pull out when I just need to smile and feel good.

27. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Not sure about Lego The Movie; the trailer didn't appeal to me, but wild horses will not keep me away from Despicable Me 2 next week. Bring on the Minions.

28. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I'm seeing Despicable Me 2 today. I have to make my way to a theatre on the other side of Stockholm to see it in English rather than Swedish, but hey, Minions! :lol:

29. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

The minions are the BEST. Only thing I really liked about the first movie. (Gru was kind of funny, but I found the story dull.)

30. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Two movies I recommend...and one "skip it" (in spite of its director):

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe, 1953). I'm pretty sure I had never seen this :)eek:). So another one that made me think, "how come I had never seen this before!!". Loved how they copied Madonna's "Material Girl" for one scene. :p Overall, just a lot of fun and another soundtrack I'm going to seek out...even though it's only five songs. A little goes a long way, I guess. :) Favourite line for me was when Marilyn's character finds out that the tiara in her hands is actually not a necklace, but is to be worn on the head: "Oh, I just love finding new ways to wear diamonds!" :lol:

An Ideal Husband (1999). What a cast! Cate Blanchett, Julianne Moore, Jeremy Northam, Minnie Driver...and Rupert Everett steals the movie out from all of them. :D Mind you, he has the showiest role with the most wonderful lines. Although his father has the line that made me laugh the most:

Lord Caversham: Do you always understand everything you say?

Lord Arthur Goring: Yes... if I listen attentively.

Lord Caversham: Conceited young puppy! :lol:

My only complaint about An Ideal Husband is that the library copy I had wouldn't work at chapter twenty. I washed the disc with light soapy water (a trick I learned working at a public library, which usually does the trick) and left it overnight to dry. But the next day I still couldn't watch two minutes where I believe Goring gets the incrimininating letter from Lady Cheveley. Not sure how he did that. And later, when Lady Cheveley leaves London, she talks about how something she's done will create havoc for others...not sure how that ties in with what happens.... :wuzrobbed

And lastly, Alfred Hitchcock's "Sabotage". I couldn't find a trailer for it, the one that looks like a trailer actually gives away the biggest plot point. But...someone has posted the whole movie online! It's only 76 minutes long (the good news) but the most poorly made Hitchcock movie I could have imagined (the bad news, of course). It's interesting that only two years later, Hitchcock made "The Lady Vanishes" which I quite enjoyed. Maybe he just had a bad year in '36??

I checked out the trailer for this one. It looks like a very well-made film, and Tom Hardy is an amazing actor, but it looks pretty dark. One of the blurbs in the middle of the trailer is something along the lines of "today's Clockwork Orange". :shuffle: I think I've been watching too many dramas to take this one on. Plus I haven't recovered from World War Z either... :drama: ;)

You made me think I had missed a Robert Redford movie. "All Is Lost"? I haven't heard of that one. But it's coming out in October (on my birthday) :cheer2: :D There's a trailer at youtube, but it's just one scene that I can't imagine is an official trailer as it's not very exciting. But shows possibility...? Speaking of Redford, he has two upcoming movies as an actor. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" will be out in 2014 and he is starring in, producing and directing "A Walk In The Woods" a movie version of Bill Bryson's memoir. His co-star will be Nick Nolte :cheer:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.