Let's Talk Movies! #23 : A Wolverine, A Super Dude and the End of the World. Twice.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, May 29, 2013.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  9. July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  11. August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  12. August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Saw two older movies recently that I loved (and liked)....

LOVED Oliver! (Ron Moody, Shani Wallis, Oliver Reed, Mark Lester and Jack Wild). I think this was the first movie I ever saw, I would have been five, so I hardly remembered anything. And was I surprised to find out what an amazing soundtrack this movie has! :eek: Brilliant song after brilliant song! And wonderful production numbers, couldn't take my eyes off the screen for fear of missing something wonderful. Great performances all around, although a tad melodramatic (;)) but I think that's what they were going for. What a wonderful movie! One interesting thing I learned from imdb is that Jack Wild, who played the Artful Dodger, went on to play Jimmy on H.R. Pufnstuf. I loved that weird show as a kid! :lol:

The movie I liked was Charade (Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Walter Matthau, James Coburn and George Kennedy). Wonderful, witty dialogue, fast-paced script and great performances from the two leads. I had watched "Wait Until Dark" a few years back and after seeing this one, I'm thinking I need to search out more Audrey Hepburn movies. Love her! :D

I think orbitz meant MoS (Man of Steel) instead of SR (Superman Returns). It's interesting that SR was mentioned because according to the-numbers.com, the budget was 232 million and advertsing was 41 million. So just over 270 for the cost. The movie made 200 million in North America, 190 million worldwide and other revenue included 81 million in DVD sales, and more than 60 million in merchandising revenue (The Hollywood Reporter). IMAX revenue was 22 million, but maybe that was included in the 200 N.A box office. Even excluding this 22 million, the movie's income was 430 million, almost doubling the costs. So I can't figure out why they didn't continue with a sequel or two (or three...) :huh:

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I agree, great film. With the possible exception of the ridiculousness of "Who Will Buy" -- I know you have to suspend disbelief in large choreographed numbers, particularly in musicals of that era, but that one stretches credulity beyond the breaking point.

And I cannot hear or watch Shani Wallis sing "As Long As He Needs Me" without crying.

3. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I just came home from a matinee of "World War Z." As an action film I found it 1000x times better than "Man of Steel," but it is hardly catering to the same family-friendly audience. :p There are some major plot holes, but the pacing of the film is great and I could hardly believe when it was over that it was actually two hours later. I guess it depends on how much you buy the whole third act as to whether or not you will like the film, and the last five minutes seem poised more for making a sequel than a conclusive ending, but I guess this tested better than the original last third of the movie which was famously scrapped, re-written and re-shot.

Anyway, I'd recommend this over MoS anyday. Grade B+ from me.

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Just saw World War Z and totally 2nd Peibeck's comments. :)

5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

IMO, they wrote themselves into a hole by giving Superman a kid. The subsequent movies wouldn't be about Superman, but his son discovering his powers. I don't think comic book fans would have been interested in seeing such a thing. There's nothing akin to it in the comics, anyway. The only other avenue was killing him off, but that's a Batman movie thing, not a Superman movie thing. :lol:

A sequel apparently was in the works immediately after Superman Returns was released, but they couldn't agree on how the script should go and then people just moved on to other projects.

6. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Strange thing though is neither Brandon Routh nor Kate Bosworth had much of a career afterwards.

7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I was more referring to the director Bryan Singer, and probably the writers too. :p

Yeah, I think there's also that "Superman curse" people have bandied about.

8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm very fond of both of those. And Audrey is my favorite actress. :) Wait Until Dark always scares the bejabers out of me, though!

9. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

PeterG...LOVED Oliver! Consider yourself, well in!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Went and saw World War Z (despite being opening weekend) and it was really really good. Way way better than that load of crap Superman movie.

11. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I thought they explained pretty well why Jor-El appeared in certain scenes...

To me it was Lois Lane that conveniently appeared everywhere...:confused:

Overall I like the movie, but I love the scenes in krypton more than the rest of the movie.:shuffle: In Thor, I also love the Asgard scenes a lot more than the Earth scenes.

12. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Going to see This Is The End, this weekend.

13. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Caught 2007 indie movie "Then She Found Me" with Helen Hunt (who also did a good job of directing), Colin Firth, Bette Midler and Matthew Broderick about a school teacher whose marriage is dissolving at the same time her adopted mother dies. More complexities arise as she meets her biological mother and becomes involved with the father of one of her pupils.

Well acted and paced. The plot does tend to be a bit melodramatic (but luckily not maudlin) at times, but nothing seems so incredibly implausible. Definitely worth a peek.

14. BigB08822

I read that WWZ is estimated to take in $63 million which is much higher than the original estimate of $46 million. I think word of mouth is really strong on this one and it should have less of a drop off next week than most.

15. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

Those are 2 of my favourite movies:D. Oliver! was one I saw fairly often growing up because my parents had it on VHS. I have since bought the DVD. Reviewing the Situation was always my favourite song from that movie. Charade was the first movie I ever bought myself. I was on this massive Audrey Hepburn kick, still am really, and when Charade which I hadn't seen before, showed up in my parents Columbia House catalogue I saved up and they ordered it for me. I think I was 13.
    I agree about Wait Unti Dark. Audrey Hepburn is amazing in it. But it freaks me out so much that I've only seen it twice. Once when I rented it and then again after I bought it. And that was probably 5 years ago.

16. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Thank you to everyone for encouraging me to see Amadeus. It was as amazing as you told me. I can't remember if I saw it when it came out and forgot it, or if I simply never got around to seeing it. Does anyone think if it got released today that the producers of the movie would have put Hulce up as supporting actor (a la Brokeback Mountain)? I'm glad Abraham won best actor, but Hulce was equally incredible. And I knew Cynthia Nixon (Sex and the City) was in this movie, but I didn't recognize her until later when I looked up to see who the actress was, thinking she had been in Little Darlings with Kristy McNichol and Tatum O'Neal...OOPS, just checked and that was her!!! :eek: I'm going to have to watch that one again now, too! :lol: And Christine Ebersole was great in her tiny role, wish she was in some bigger projects these days.

I quite liked her in Haywire. And American Gladiators. :lol: Gina's next movie is called "In The Blood" and the imdb.com description is: "When her husband goes missing during their Caribbean vacation, a woman sets off on her own to take down the men she thinks are responsible." :kickass: Her co-stars include Danny Trejo, Cam Gigandet, Stephen Lang [Terra Nova], Luiz Guzman and Treat Williams. Her only other project is a 2015 production with rumoured co-stars LINDA FREAKIN' HAMILTON and PAM FRICKIN' GRIER!!! :eek: How KICK-ASS will THAT be??!! :respec:

This really shocked me and did not sit well with me. I loved Man of Steel, but when they
    showed the New York skyline, I thought, "they're not really going to destroy NYC are they"??? And they pretty much did. I found it very unsettling. And I could be completely wrong, but didn't a plane crash into a tower? I just thought this was all wrong. They should have chosen a different location or just done anything to make it not have a connection to 9/11. I'm not sure if people are even complaining about this, but it seemed very wrong to me.

One thing I didn't mention was Tom Cruise's total commitment to the role. He was completely immersed in his character. His final scene where he shouts, "It's beautiful, man!!" you can see the drool from his mouth go flying. It made me think of Jane Fonda's scene in Klute where she's crying and the snot drips out of her nose. But she's totally committed to her performance and doesn't blink an eye.

17. BigB08822

Did anyone who watched World War Z catch Matthew Fox? He was in about 10 seconds worth and could have easily been considered an extra. He didn't even have a name attached to his character. I wonder if he had a bigger role that was cut down when it was reshot and edited? I can't see him taking jobs that are meant for extras.

18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Nope, unfortunately I didn't even notice

19. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i read where he said that there is a possibility of sequels and his character would be more developed in them

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

like twenty seconds?

21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Saw The Bling Ring tonight. Kind of depressing. They had at least a solid hour of just "Let's go rob So-and-so's house!" *rob* "Okay, now let's go rob somebody else's house!" *rob* "Okay, now . . ."

Coppola was all about the lush imagery and the lingering shots and so forth, and I understand why, but in the absence of a strong storyline or any sort of moral point of view, it felt almost like she was as obsessed with the celebrities and their clothes as the kids were. It made the whole thing feel very empty, which I guess was appropriate . . . but not exactly enriching or enjoyable.

22. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Did anyone watch 'Jodi Arias - Dirty little secret' on Lifetime tonight? I missed the start of the movie, but was able to see most of it. Before the murder scene, there was a warning on the screen that there is graphic violence ahead. I had to close my eyes after I had seen some of the murder scene. The actors resembled the real life characters and were believable. Next ahead was an interview with the real Jodi Arias but I fell asleep before that.

23. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. It was ok, but not great.

I went to see Man of Steel tonight, it was pretty good.

yeah.....not quite sure why she gets to go on the super important military mission. Toby Zeigler ended up doing her part anyway.

Agree that the Krypton part was stronger than the rest. And I totally agree about Thor.

24. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I saw it. I can't decide if it is one of the funniest movies every or one of the dumbest/worst. Parts are so freakin funny, pml. I have not seen all the movies referenced that these actors have done (Pineapple Express), so missed a few of the jokes. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but there are some pretty funny moments. Plus you just want to see what they do next and how it ends. Poor Michael Cera. Emma Watson was funny, and I have never seen any HP movies.
    If you like the movies the cast has been in, I would recommend, but if sophmoric humor is not to your tasting, avoid it.

25. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I don't think "Oliver !" Is so grrrreat, much prefer Polanski's "Oliver twist." No glam poverty there. No sings either lol.saw "inside man"-waste ofgrrreat cast since story lacks."broken city" ditto. No jean dujardin at library for moiz it was "lenny" so also got "rain man" just to, youknow, make sure tom and dustin really are all that lol ;-)

26. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Just for back from seeing World War Z. :blah: Most. Depressing. Movie. Ever. Star Trek and Man of Steel are fantasy/sci-fi so the bad stuff there is kind of cartoon-ish in a way, whereas WWZ is straight-ahead drama with nothing fantastical happening except the over-used CGI effect of masses of zombies crawling over top of one another. (This has been used in TV ads, so it's not really a spoiler.) It's almost like a documentary where your spouse is killed, then your parents are killed, then your children are killed and they as zombies then kill everybody else you know. And when it's not filmed in a gray or black colour scheme, it's filmed in dirty brown. Depressing to look at and depressing to watch (as a story). My friends rated it out of ten as a 7, another 7 and an 8. They asked me and I said, "3". :(

That looks good! :cheer2: In my opinion (tongue definitely NOT in cheek), I would say that disco was revolutionary in that it helped push black musicians to a more front-and-centre role in pop music. Plus the impact it had on the gay community is of course monumental.

You mean The Family Stone? I liked that.... :shuffle:

Here's the trailer from youtube. Weird!! :lol: The trailer is basically just one shot, and it does look beautiful. As do the two leads. But it still looks weird. :D

27. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Thanks for the warning, PeterG. I won't see this movie. I am already saturated with CGI. I would like to see real drama Guess I have to depend on DVDs and wait for November.

28. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

^^^PeterG's three friends rated WWZ a 7, 7, and a 8 (out of 10). PeterG gave it a 3. So why are you listening to PeterG and not his three friends ?

Variety/

WWZ's domestic B.O. is 66 millions. 110 world-wide.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Not bad. Not bad at all for a movie that had all sorts of production problems.

30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

BECUZ I AM ALLL POWURFULL!!!! :EVILLE:

:p

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.