Let's Talk Movies! #23 : A Wolverine, A Super Dude and the End of the World. Twice.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, May 29, 2013.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  9. July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  11. August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  12. August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Wow. So last week had a LOT of good movies release...this week? Not so much! But first, the two big ones already mentioned:

June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk

June 21st - Monsters University - Family Comedy with Billy Crystal, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, Sean Hayes, Dave Foley, Frank Oz, Helen Mirren, Alfred Molina, Nathan Fillion, Aubrey Plaza, John Krasinski, Bonnie Hunt, Julia Sweeney and John Ratzenberger
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODePHkWSg-U

And the smaller movies (my comments at the end):

June 21 Downloaded (Documentary. From imdb.com: “A documentary that explores the downloading revolution; the kids that created it, the bands and the businesses that were affected by it, and its impact on the world at large.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ai6K2VIEXM

June 21 Unfinished Song – aka Song For Marion (Musical comedy drama with Gemma Arterton, Vanessa Redgrave and Terence Stamp)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeAYP23B2jU

June 21 The Attack (Drama. From imdb.com: “An Arab surgeon living in Tel Aviv discovers a dark secret about his wife in the aftermath of a suicide bombing. Based on a novel by Yasmina Khadra.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDDziAQISbY

June 21 Somm (Documentary. From imdb.com: “Four sommeliers attempt to pass the prestigious Master Sommelier exam, a test with one of the lowest pass rates in the world.”))
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4zeyuk8hL8

June 21 Rushlights (Romantic crime thriller with Beau Bridges, Aidan Quinn, Josh Henderson)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2BIR8_XkHg

June 21 Liars All (Thriller with Matt Lanter and Sara Paxton)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFrZM22trGs

June 21 Maniac (Horror thriller with Elijah Wood)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD02QssnO7w

June 21 This Is Martin Bonner (Drama. From imdb.com: “Martin Bonner has just moved to Nevada from the East Coast, leaving behind his two adult children and a life he spent more than two decades building.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrLlYqX5MkA

June 21 The Haunting of Helena - aka Fairy Tale (Horror thriller. From imdb.com: “A single mother moves into a new house with her daughter. Soon after the young girl has her first baby tooth fall off, she begins to recount that she is having nocturnal visits by a tooth fairy. It seems the house has a sinister history.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u70dKv2pFqw

June 21 As Cool as I Am (Comedy drama with Claire Danes, James Marsden, Peter Fonda, Anika Noni Rose and Jeremy Sisto)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8qjhzCElM8

June 21 Between Us (Drama with Julia Stiles, Melissa George and Taye Diggs)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbHTANOSRDk

The first three are ones I’m interested in, I hope “The Attack” is not as dark as I fear. I will make sure to watch it when I’m in a good mood. :) I swear that Unfinished Song/Song for Marion was covered in an earlier thread, but I couldn’t find it on my To See list. It is now, looks like fun. :D

The other stuff doesn’t look bad…but BORING. The last five are shocking in that the trailers made me think, “Who cares??” :yawn: Especially The Haunting of Helena/Fairy Tale. Usually horror thrillers at the very least make me shiver at least once. But this one did nothing for me. And the last two dramas have great casts but look so BORING. It’s so wrong to waste good actors like this! :drama:

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am VERY excited for Maniac. I saw that trailer what seems like well over a year ago and I figured it was only a limited release and I would have to wait for DVD. Glad to see it coming out and I hope it comes here (I assume it is wide release?). I will DEFINITELY be going to see it.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am interested in World war Z and Attack. I may see Monsters university, after the reviews come out.

4. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Watched three older movies recently, I recommend them all:

Iron Jawed Angels (HBO movie starring Hilary Swank, Julia Ormond, Vera Farmiga, Patrick Dempsey, Margo Martindale, Molly Parker and Anjelica Huston). It's about the women's suffrage movement circa 1917. It's another one that I couldn't watch in bits and pieces....once I started it I couldn't stop watching. Great performances and story. Spoiler:
    The first two-thirds of the movie are more straight-ahead drama and then in the last third, some of the horrible stuff that happened to the women in prison - mainly Swank's character - I found quite unsettling. So just be prepared to see some physical abuse of women

Taps (military drama with George C. Scott, Timothy Hutton, Sean Penn, Tom Cruise, Giancarlo Esposito and Ronny Cox). This is one of those movies that I swear I had seen before, but couldn't remember much about. I must have seen this 1981 film around the time it came out so I guess it's been long enough that it deserved another viewing. I'm sure I appreciated it much more than the first time. So great to see all these young actors in either their first major role, or almost their first big role. The DVD extras mentioned
    that George C. Scott liked everyone on the set so much that when his part had been filmed, he stuck around to be close to everybody, playing chess with the young guys and even touching Timothy Hutton's hands once as he made a move and Scott said, "white doesn't want to do that" (white being the chess pieces Hutton was playing). :lol:

Runaway Train (Jon Voigt, Eric Roberts, Rebecca DeMornay). Okay, I'm recommending this movie in spite of what it's about to sound like... :lol: Voigt and Roberts got Oscar nominations for their work in this? :huh: Maybe it's just their accents which I found to be awful/over-the-top. Still, I think the script and the direction definitely out-performed these two actors and that's why I'm recommending the movie. DeMornay is fine, it must have been a struggle to not going into melodrama around her co-stars, though! :D (Sidenote: strange how this movie gets a 7.2 rating on imdb.com and Taps only rates 6.6... :confused:)

Ask him if Armie will go out on a date with me. :swoon: :lol:

I did. And I saw Captain Jack in Sweeney Todd. And probably in Alice In Wonderland... Depp has his wild/avant-garde schtick which doesn't change much from weird role to weird role. The costumes vary more from role to role than the performance. I think maybe it's Tim Burton's fault more than Depp's. The director needs to step in and say, "okay, let's try this instead". But I think Burton sees Depp as his alter ego....and Burton must love himself a whole lot because he just lets Depp do whatever he wants. Which is just a slight variation on the same wild character over and over again. :(

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

One of my favourite movies from the 80s. That was such a good period for Hutton, following so closely after Ordinary People (one of my top 5 faves of all time). Taps didn't get the same level of attention, but I thought it was amazing -- I remember crying my eyes out when I saw it in the theatre. I saw it again not that long ago too, and I thought it held up very well indeed.

I remember liking Iron-Jawed Angels too, though I don't really recall any details.

6. Artemis@BC

A couple of indie movies I watched this weekend:

Compliance, with Ann Dowd and Dreama Walker. I can't say too much about this without giving things away, other than it's great fodder for "what would you do" philosophical conversations. It's also highly disturbing to watch -- I had to watch 2 episodes of Big Bang Theory after to recover. But fascinating.

Obselidia: quirky little film about a guy obsessed with the past and things gone by, writing an "encyclopedia of obsolete things." Some interesting ideas here too, but much more palatable -- and there's some really great cinematography as well.

7. Nan

Nan Just me

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I wonder if Claire Danes signed on for As Cool As I Am before Homeland. It can't be any worse than the time she played a Polish figure skater in some post-apocalyptic movie with Joaquin Phoenix. Or that awful RomCom with SJP.

9. Artemis@BC

I heard the filmmaker for this interviewed last night, and it sounds fascinating. Who knew disco was so revolutionary? (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Secret Disco Revolution

Premiers at Open Roof in Toronto on the 27th, followed by select US cities on June 28.

10. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I saw "Man of Steel" and thought it was just plain awful, dull, and bloated. They didn't do enough to make the story interesting or make you as a viewer remotely connect with the characters, and the script is so humorless. What I loved about the 1978 movie with Christopher Reeve was it had a great blend of action and whimsy. This new incarnation is just a CGI fest (and not always well done, parts of it looked more like a video game than a hi-tech movie).

Cavill is sexy, but burdened with a script that makes Superman a pacifist bore. Michael Shannon, who I normally love, is completely miscast. Amy Adams and Diane Lane are wasted. Kevin Costner does his every-man character (again). Russell Crowe keeps popping up for terrible plot hole reasons. Laurence Fishburne showed up for the paycheck.

My grade: D+

11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I also saw Man of Steel, I really liked it. I'm going to spoiler tag my thoughts just in case I might give anything away.
    Lots of trailers before the movie, and even a GILLETTE (TM) ad starring Henry Cavill himself! Great CGI in the beginning of planet Krypton and later, when a ship from Krypton is discovered, we see Amy Adams trek her way out to the ship. We wonder momentarily where she might be and BANG! on top of the ship Lois Lane slams down her NOKIA (TM) camera. Superman saves her from the attack that almost kills her and then we see him back at home in Kansas and instead of his scruffy face, he's all clean shaven! Guess he put that GILLETTE (TM) razor to good use! But WAIT! There's more people from Krypton and they attack him right in front of the I-HOP (TM) restaurant! He fights back, all the way down the street to the local SEARS (TM) store. The military comes into the picture and they shoot at the bad guys right in front of the nearby 7-11 (TM). But it doesn't end there, not by a long shot. One of the bad guys throws Superman RIGHT through the window of that I-HOP (TM) restaurant I mentioned earlier. And they fight inside that I-HOP (TM) as the I-HOP (TM) customers look on in fear! They are so scared! Later the military meet up with Superman, it's the scene with the big SEARS (TM) sign right behind Superman's head. Oh, and there's so much more, you have to see the movie for yourself. P.S. Found an interesting article online about budget info for this film:

'Man Of Steel' Has Already Made $170 Million - In Product Placements

Interesting. Hadn't noticed!! :p

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I also noticed the ridiculous product placements in Man of Steel. It reminded me of a music video. I don't mind it in a music video because music videos are guaranteed to not make a return, giant movies like these can make a return on their own. No need to shove pancakes down our throat.

13. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

:lol: I agree with everything stated above, except the comment on Diane Lane. I loved that natural look on her in the movie. Still, despite the long and boring fight scenes, I loved MoS, especially the parts about Clark's childhood. And of course, you can't get any hotter than Cavill.

I also saw the Bling Ring with the stunningly gorgeous Emma Watson. Another very good film from Coppola. Some would criticize the lack of insight that could account for the characters behaviour but I take it Coppola purposely enhanced the lack of depth in those utterly superficial teens. So jealous of Paris Hilton dressing room.

Yesterday, I watched Star Trek Into Darkness, which was released only about 10 days ago here in France. Not bad but I expected more weird haircuts.

14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I don't mind product placements all that much especially since we don't have any I-Hops here in Canada. :shuffle:

15. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Regardless of the differing opinions, I plan on seeing Man of Steel- but with lowered expectations now. :)

I am getting a bit tired of the CGI/3D/action sequence format. Can't wait for Nov. when all the indies and drama genre movies start showing up.

16. Artemis@BC

Sure we do.

Not that I eat there ... and seeing Superman eat there aint gonna change that!

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Oh, I see you are right. I have never noticed them before.:rofl:

18. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Keep your expectations high for Henry Cavill's hotness. :cheer:

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

You're not missing a thing - the food is majorly overrated. It used to be good.

20. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I thought Diane Lane was fine in the movie, but I have no clue why they hired an actress of her stature and then gave her basically nothing to do! :lol:

PeterG, you're not fooling me. You only liked the movie because of Henry Cavill getting frequently shirtless. :saint: (IHOP had nothing to do with it!) :p

21. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Has anyone see "And Justice For All..." (Al Pacino) or Ali (Will Smith)? I watched the trailers for each, but that didn't help me decide whether I should hunt them down to watch. So reviews appreciated! :D

I read somewhere that the number of views of a movie's trailer predicts accurately 90% of the time how the movie will do in theatres. I'm going to try to remember this when it's time to start a new thread because some movies I pick for the poll get so few votes...I feel like I've done a bad job picking options. :) (Hopefully I'll do better next time... ;) )

The topic of actors that used to be skaters came up a while back. Saw this photo on facebook where Rachel McAdams showed up at a rink and took photos with the young kids:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...15856531319.2159199.1122885084&type=1&theater

jOBS is set to be released August 16th. The original date was April, but it looks like it's not going straight to DVD. :p

Lastly, this article is really interesting: Hit Movies That Everybody Thinks Were Flops

It gives numbers about how movies such as Eragon, Jumper, In Time, Hook, Planet Of The Apes (2001), Vanilla Sky, Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed actually made a profit. Also included are quotes from sources such as Time magazine who state how the movie was a flop...even though it was not.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  22. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I remember seeing The Hobbit being called a flop even as it was hurtling towards the billion dollar mark...

Me and my mama watched Bronson yesterday. It took a while to get into, but once I did it was quite entertaining. Tom Hardy is brilliant in it, and he somehow almost looked bigger and more muscular as Charlie Bronson than he did as Bane.

Man of Steel hasn't opened in Sweden yet, and the more I hear about it the less keen I am to see it. I'll still see it, but my expectations shall be low. And I don't find Mr Cavill particularly attractive. :p

23. immoimeme

immoimeme having a FREAKING nice day

Grrrreat minds thinking alike lol-I watched "taps" for the 1st time not long ago, "runaway train"is long time fav, and I just watched "compliance" last night (screaming the whole time "these pple are inSANE! !!) so-they're all movies about how one deals with authority. Or doesn't. All v interesting and I highly recommend "compliance" as a gd answer to when you askyrself "but how could someone DO that? !?!?!!!?"

Movies to look for on my list: "unfinished song"-how can yiu pass up the opportunity to see these grrreat stars in what will likelybe one of their last films? "all is lost"-robert Redford and a boat and v little dialogue can't be missed! "the impossible"-surving a tsunami, more or less. "Thecompany yoy keep"-70s radicals turned normal turn radical again.

And tge libray has something for mefrom interlibrary loan I inly hope it has jean dujardin in it :)oh and a v adult fim w grrreat char devel and world shaki g plot-that is "a royal affair."
    One more onmy list-deadfall which I'm onky seeing because it has same director as "the counterfeiters" which is another grrreat film abou authority and compliance.

Excuse typos no spell check

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  24. Nan

Nan Just me

Yes, when it first came out. I remember it being more than a bit over the top, but I enjoyed it. Very good cast.

25. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

Well, has any Martha Kent ever been useful? :D

Upon seeing the movie a second time today, I'll add that :
    1/ While I really liked her performance in Julie & Julia, I just don't get Amy Adams as Lois Lane, but maybe I'm just being jealous.

2/ There's definitely not enough shirtless Cavill ;)

26. immoimeme

immoimeme having a FREAKING nice day

Another thoughtful film "the other brother"-what makes you you? nature? nuture? both? neither? plus have vs have not is pretty darn graphic

27. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

You know, neither this beefed up version or even the one in Immortals does it for me. However, season 1 episode 1 of the Tudors...

NSFW!

28. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I saw Man of Steel on Wednesday, and it was enjoyable. The product placements were a bit much, and there was ZERO chemistry between Amy Adams and Henry Cavill. Plus, the fight scenes were so overdone at some points I just rolled my eyes and sighed. Overall though, it was OK. I would recommend it, but only if you like action movie blockbusters.

I also saw The Bling Ring last night. It was definitely a Sofia Coppola movie, and it was Spring Breakers' tamer, real-life cousin. While it got a bit repetitive with all the break-ins, the film was GORGEOUS and I think the materialism porn was enough to kind of make you sick by the end. Emma Watson was OK in her supporting role (all the reviews I've read are raving about her, but I found her meh attempt at a Valley Girl accent distracting) but she has a lot of LOL moments. If you go, watch the horrendously awesome E! show "Pretty Wild" or read the Vanity Fair article. Knowing which quotes are real make it funnier.

29. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

It does not bode well for the movie that it took them so long to release a full length trailer. If you all really want to see a good movie about the rise of and rivalry between Jobs and Gates watch Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.