Let's Talk Movies! #23 : A Wolverine, A Super Dude and the End of the World. Twice.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, May 29, 2013.

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  9. July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  11. August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  12. August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Two movie recommendations:

Midnight's Children (directed by Deepa Mehta and script by Salman Rushdie). Okay, I admit that Mehta is probably my favourite director of all time. But I knew this was a good movie when I started watching it because normally I watch a half an hour of a movie and then watch another 30 minutes the next day and then finish it a few days after that. But with a REALLY good movie, I start it and I have to finish it. Luckily with this one, I started around 8pm (the movie is 2.5 hours long). And it has a real epic feel to it, covering stories from three different generations of a family. The performances are all pitch-perfect and the movie held my attention right until the end. One quibble, which I'll spoil...
    I was never really sure if the main characters situation was one of a psychological problem or something magical/other-worldly. The movie answers this in the final third or so and things shifted from being a straight-forward drama to a supernatural drama. Not that this is bad, but just surprising and for me, a little bewildering. Maybe I should not have been too literal-minded as a viewer. :)
    Two thumbs up, way up! :D

The second recommendation is an old one now crossed off my To See list: An Englishman Who Went Up A Hill But Came Down A Mountain. (Sorry about the shoddy trailer, that's all I found at youtube.) This is a sweet, silly movie - silly in the best sense of the word. Great cast and just a joy to watch for an hour and a half. Hugh Grant is at his bumbling best, probably this was early in his career before he became a caricature of himself. By the way, Hugh was two movies at imdb.com coming up since his appearance in Cloud Atlas. The one listed as being in pre-production is entitled, "Bridget Jones Baby".

Well, we are only talking about the trailer (for Passion). It just looks like McAdams has been cast in a Sharon Stone role (a la Basic Instinct). I looooove Rachel, but I just can't see her in this kind of role. I'd love for her to prove me wrong however. I just checked the-numbers.com for box office info and of the 94 movies in release this past week, it was not listed. So I am wondering if it is going to go straight to DVD. I mean, the movie that came in last place at #94 took in $14 in revenue this last week. :eek: One theatre, two people in the theatre?? I checked imdb and Wikipedia and didn't see any definitive info about a release date. Hopefully McAdams and Rapace both got a decent paycheque from this one, if nothing else??

Hey, perfection and boring are two entirely separate things! :lol: Oh, and I agree with the :grope:!

Good description! I think that if I met Cavill in person, my limbs would go all gooey and become a big mess at his feet. Which would be a little embarrassing... :shuffle:

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

EXACTLY! Quoted for truth. I have never cared for the Pirates movies and this movie looks like Captain Jack traded in his ship for a horse. It looks beyond ridiculous but it clearly has an audience or Jonny Depp has the ability to make people watch crappy movies.

3. BigB08822

I think Passion could be watchable. Maybe my expectations were so incredibly low after seeing Peter trash it in multiple posts that I was set up to think "it's not THAT bad." :lol:

I saw someone mention Sharon Stone. Did anyone see her stint on Law and Order SVU? I don't know how long ago it was, I caught it on a repeat in syndication the other day. Her acting was a JOKE. Everything she did was over the top, like it belonged on a daytime soap opera. Horrible. I honestly have no idea how she managed to do that because the show already borders on being a daytime soap with the drama and over-acting. She really stunk that set up. I could almost sense the actors cringing during their scenes with her.

4. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

WAH, hubby's making me wait to see Man of Steel! He claims it'll be too crowded.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Just came back from Man of Steel! To determine whether you'll like this movie, you only need to ask yourself one question: do you want to see Superman go all out for 30 minutes? If yes, then get thee to the theater stat! If not, might as well skip it. Or at least leave when the bad guys start pummeling Smallville, cause it's only gonna get more intense from there. :lol:

Oh, and if you think Henry Cavill is HOT, do yourself a favor and see this movie anyway. :cheer: At the end it was getting a bit too CGI Matrix Revolution-y for me, but then they'd show Henry's face and everything was aaaaalll right. :grope:

I would have liked them to take away a few punches and added a few more moments to push the character moments harder. They were there, but needed a tad more nudging.

Lois wasn't all useless, but she lost her motivation early on after she gets googly-eyed with Clark and became his trusty sidekick. :p I would have liked to see more hardened reporter that there was in the very beginning.

Anyway...yes...Henry Cavill...:swoon:

6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

You saw Captain Jack in 'Dark Shadow' ?

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

8. BigB08822

My husband begged to go see Man of Steel last night but I did not have it in me to fight those crowds for a movie I really am not all that excited for. I wish he was more independent like I am because we could choose different movies playing at the same time and about the same length. Superman has just never really appealed to me. I guess I will go with him and get this over with next weekend.

9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Trust me Henry Cavill is worth every penny! This movie does differ quite a bit from the original story and I am not sorry aout that at all.

As a matter of fact I wish they hadn't copped out and made him a journalist in the end.

11. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

If a new movie I want to see comes out on a Friday, I usually wait until early Sunday afternoon to go. Matinee is only $5.50 here. Downtown parking lots are empty since most businesses are closed Sundays. And it's not as crowded as Friday and Saturday. I prefer to go Monday - Thursday early afternoon when the theatres are empty. I hate crowds.

I'm going to see "Man of Steel" this week and "World War Z" next week.

12. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

May I be the first to say that Henry Cavill is not attractive at all? :shuffle: :D :p

13. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your bad eyesights.

14. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Thank you for your sympathy.

15. Anita18

He's not as attractive to me when he smiles wide for some reason (Alf must be relieved :lol: ), but throughout most of Man of Steel he is super-serious and :swoon:

16. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

He was at his hottest in seasons 1 and 2 of the Tudors.

17. BigB08822

He was pure sex in The Tudors. :grope:

18. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

BTW, Saw Man of Steel. It's not the Dark Knight but it is a good summer film. The action sequences are awesome and standouts for me are Russell Crowe and Michael Shannon.

It was a bit disjointed and they could have cut out one or two action sequences, but overall, not a bad way to spend an afternoon or evening.

19. Anita18

Yeah, my friend misses Tudors Henry who had a little bit more weight on him. He still looks great with an expressionless chiseled face, but maybe that's why I think his smile is a little more awkward now. :lol:

20. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

SR made $125 million over the three days opening; However, the film production budget was $225.

21. BigB08822

It should easily get to 225 million, especially when you consider DVD sales down the line plus this movie is perfect for tons of product sales. Superhero flicks have been doing very well overseas, as well, although I don't know if Superman will fit that mold but it should be able to pull in at half of what it does in the US, I imagine.

22. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

It has already pulled in about 75 million overseas with the film still to open in markets like France, Germany, China, and Japan.

23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Man of Steel has made just shy of $197m worldwide, so I think it did just great and they are probably planning part deux already. :lol:

24. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

SR = ?? :confused:

I just came back from Now You See Me. It was fun, better than the luke-warm reception it seems to be getting from both critics and ticket sales. Some of the twists are obvious, some less so. Not at all deep or thought-provoking, but definitely entertaining.

Oddly enough, I think the biggest detriment to this flick is the CGI. Knowing that everything and anything can be digitally manipulated takes away from the wow factor.

25. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Henry Cavill is dating Gina Carano. Most people on gossip sites think it's a showmance and even if it is, props for choosing an arm candy that has meat on her. And Gina has abs to die for.

26. BigB08822

Just got back from Man of Steel. It was OK but I have had enough of these super hero flicks. 2 1/2 hours of a movie with 1 hour and 50 minutes of that dedicated to action scenes where people are literally being thrown through steel buildings and paved streets. This seems to be the big thing in these movies, let's watch these superheroes fight the villains in NYC and let's see how real we can make it look when they crash into the sides of buildings and throw taxis around. I am over it. I want to see a real movie, complete with a good story line and character development. I wouldn't have even cared if Superman or Lois Lane died because we had almost zero time dedicated to character development for them or anyone. I am going this week to see some real movies...I just don't know which ones yet.

27. Anita18

Had. She's retired now, but she certainly is no waif. ;)

Because of her non-waifedness, people are suggesting Wonder Woman for her. Though I don't get what's so difficult about hiring an actress who can act the part and then train her like Linda Hamilton for T2. That's what they do for actors all the time. Christian Bale was still close to 120 lbs for The Machinist when he was cast as Batman.

Not that I trust Hollywood to do Wonder Woman any justice, consider the UTTER TRAINWRECK of a TV pilot that was almost unleashed upon the world. :scream:

28. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The main obstacle for a WW movie right now is a script that the studio will agree on. Josh Whedan had a script several years back that got rejected. I would love to hear what his treatment of WW was. I also think WW's iconic costume is problematic for any actress to fill out. It seems like you can choose a girl that fills out the costume but can't really act and vice versa. If a WW movie materializes then I think her costume will be modified from what's in the comic book.

29. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

MOS has received mixed reviews, only 56% approval on RT. I was hoping another director would be chosen for the sequel but no such luck; Zach Snyder is coming back.

30. BigB08822

I plan on calling my local theater and complaining about the temperature in the rooms. The last three times we have been it has been absolutely frigid. This is coming from someone who keeps his AC on sub 70 all the time, so I am not the type of person to complain about a cool room. We took the niece and nephew to see Brave a few weeks ago and my poor nephew was literally begging me to hold him during the movie (and he is way too big/old to be held) because he was so cold that he was miserable. It is beyond ridiculous how cold they keep it in there and I don't know why they do it. It certainly doesn't make me want to go buy a drink, that's for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.