Let's Talk Movies! #23 : A Wolverine, A Super Dude and the End of the World. Twice.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, May 29, 2013.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  9. July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  11. August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  12. August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The Friday box office looks like this; 1) Fast & Furious, 2) Now You See Me, 3) After Earth. Not surprised After Earth finished 3rd but I am disappointed that it finished 3rd to yet another smart golden heart bank robber who gets away with it and lives happily ever after, against dumb everybody else movie. In Hollywood bank robbers are never bad people who gets caught. I could remember only one such movie in the last couple decades of watching movies. LOL

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I didn't care much for the movie itself, but I LOVED the minions!:)

3. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I tend to steer clear of the cinema during the summer, but I may make the effort to see Elysium or The Purge if either gets good reviews. I like sci-fi; it's just that there are so few good films of this genre. I don't suppose Tarkovsky's Stalker will turn up anywhere; I've never seen it on the big screen..... ;) The other one that caught my eye is Much Ado About Nothing. But as I live out in the sticks we'll have to see whether any of these ever reach a cinema within travelling distance.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Did you think it was an overall a good movie, B+/A- ? The trailer just make it seems like Snyder is going all Dark Knight on it, trying to bring some gravitas to the story. The suit looks kind of strange in the photo stills... kind of like texturized rubber, and Cavill looks like he went steroid overboard in the bodybuilding department for the role.

---------------

"After Earth" is a B.O. dud. This should spell the end of Shyamalan's Hollywood career.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Dark Knight is waaay more than just "some gravitas." Some comic book movie fans I know actually don't like it because it's a crime thriller with two (and a half) costumed freaks in it, instead of a proper superhero movie. :lol:

I figure, it's Superman, it can't be just a crime thriller, especially with all the fantasy action shown.

And if Cavill is steroid-laced, I DON'T want to know what the guys at my gym are taking. :lol: At least his head is still larger than each bicep....

6. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Just got back from Star Trek. I'm going to spoiler tag the rest of my post cuz I'm not sure what I'll be saying that might be considered a spoiler....or not at all.
    My first thought was that the 3D is awesome. Better than Avatar. But I'm wondering if Avatar used other technology in addition to the 3D because I'd say it was a better looking movie than Star Trek. Although the opening scenes with the red forest were pretty fantastic. Then I wondered if the producers got a discount on the blue contact lenses...Chris Pine, Bruce Greenwood, bad Dad, etc. I think even Benedict was wearing colored lenses, a kind of green/yellow color combination. The 3D was best/most noticeable in the first half of the movie. I think they used up the 3D budget in the beginning and let the story and action carry the second half. It worked for me. :D Oh, and the early scene where Kirk is getting ****-faced in the bar...the 3D made his leather-clad shoulder closer to you than his face, making you feel like you were sitting close to him at the bar...REAL close. And then the extreme close-up where you can see all the pores and lines on his beautiful face. Ohmigosh, I felt so close that I wanted to reach out and start petting that glorious face of his!! :lol: Or touch it in a different way... :grope: Everybody was great in this movie and I liked the script as much as I liked all the action and special effects. As we drove home, everybody rated the movie and it got a 7, an 8.5, a 9 and a 10 from me. I can't think of anything one could do to make it better. Maybe more Chris Pine nudity?? :swoon:

8. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

There was a scene with a naked Cumberbatch in a shower that got cut for some reason. I mean, we got a completely gratuitous scene with the blonde whatserface in her underwear, why couldn't there be some gratuitous male nudity as well? :drama: (Apparently there was a bit with Chris Pine sans shirt, but I don't even remember it. Not gratuitous enough!)

9. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

That was early on when you see Kirk get a phone call and he gets out of bed and there's two females with tails in his bed. It's a shirtless shot and he looks a big heavy so maybe that's why they didn't show more. :lol: I saw the Cumberbatch scene on Conan, they played it when J.J. Abrams talked about some being irritated that Alice Eve is shown naked except for her undergarments. It really wasn't a necessary scene, but she IS a beautiful lady. Two things I forgot to mention earlier...
    I swear in the later scene where Khan's ship crashes into earth, that when we see close-ups of the people around, there's one close-up of a woman who looks exactly like Rosario Dawson. No dialogue, just her face for a few quick seconds. Also, in the credits I saw Chris Hemsworth's name. I do NOT remember him being in the movie. And after-credits scenes? None. We stayed RIGHT to the very end to see if there might be an outtake or something in reference to a future movie, but there was nuthin'.

10. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

On his Wiki Chris Hemsworth is credited as providing only his voice in this movie as Kirk's father. Was there a moment where we heard any of his dialogue from the first movie that I can't remember?... I also absolutely didn't realize he played Kirk's father in the first movie. I'm used to him with a lot more facial hair than that!

11. Anita18

I actually think he's better looking as George Kirk than Thor. :shuffle:

12. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

It's a good action movie ... B+.

Definitely not as heavy or dark as any of the Batman films. Russell Crowe is great (he has a considerable amount of screentime), as is Kevin Costner. There's a tragic element that goes beyond the destruction of Krypton. Heavy on the mayhem and destruction.

I interviewed Henry in person on Friday, and he's lost a lot of the bulk. He is absolutely massive in the movie, busting out of all of his clothes.

I took super close-up shots of the costume (they had them on display)...PM me and I can email them to you. It's textured but it didn't detract from the film.

For those of you into such things, he shaves his beard in the film, but not his chest.

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Is Henry Cavill nice? He always seems like such a nice guy.

14. michiruwater

Oh, absolutely. I agree completely.

15. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

16. michiruwater

Psch, whatevs, PeterG, his facial hair is more pronounced in the actual movie.

The Thor-ish look, on the other hand, is pretty damned good. Because of the -ish. :p

17. Anita18

18. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Out of the Avengers, the one I wanted to cuddle with Bruce Banner. :shuffle:

19. all_empty

Yup, nice guy. Good answers. Painfully good-looking.

20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I noticed with the last thread that there were movies on the release schedule that did not have trailers out when I started the thread. This happened even more with this new thread. So I've decided to include the movies already listed with the new (smaller and independent) releases each week. I'll start with the bigger movies:

June 7th - The Purge - Sci-Fi Thriller with Ethan Hawke, Lena Headey and Rhys Wakefield
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0LLaybEuzA

June 7th - Violet & Daisy - Action comedy drama with Saoirse Ronan, Alexis Bledel, Danny Trejo, James Gandolfini and Marianne Jean-Baptiste
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7CdL8xXmxE

June 7th - Much Ado About Nothing - Comedy with Amy Acker and Nathan Fillion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAMsDP_DMHE

June 7th - The Internship - Comedy with Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson, Rose Byrne, Ben Kingsley and John Goodman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdnoqCViqUo

And the smaller and/or independent movies being releases this week (my comments after the list):

June 7 Tiger Eyes (Drama with new cast and Cynthia Stevenson and Russell Means)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdqMpHvlA7s

June 7 The Wall (Fantasy drama, new cast. From imdb.com: “A woman inexplicably finds herself cut off from all human contact when an invisible, unyielding wall suddenly surrounds the countryside.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qa-Lo4RSpw

June 7 Wish You Were Here (Drama mystery with Joel Edgerton and Teresa Palmer)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbDVy67No7k

June 7 Finding Joy (Comedy with new cast and Barry Bostwick and Lainie Kazan)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyqpC2fszXc

June 7 Passion (Drama mystery thriller with Rachel McAdams and Noomi Rapace)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gadidJeMsE0

June 7 Dirty Wars (Docu-drama. From imdb.com: “Investigative journalist Jeremy Scahill is pulled into an unexpected journey as he chases down the hidden truth behind America's expanding covert wars.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KpzBAKJmig

June 7 Syrup (Romantic comedy drama with Amber Heard, Shiloh Fernandez, Brittany Snow, Kellan Lutz and Rachel Dracht)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6GCDAcvuCs

June 7 Evocateur: The Morton Downey Jr. Movie (From imdb.com: “Long before O'Reilly and Beck, Morton Downey, Jr., was tearing up the talk-show format with his divisive populism. Between the fistfights, rabid audience, and Mort's cigarette smoke always ‘in your face’… ”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpQm_us_UiU

June 7 Rapture-Polooza (Comedy fantasy horror with Anna Kendrick, Ken Jeong, Craig Robinson and Ana Gasteyer)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oaS_N1zsqo

June 7 La Camioneta: The Journey of One American School Bus (Documentary about U.S. school buses driven to Guatemala for repair. From imdb.com: “Since 2006, nearly 1,000 camioneta drivers and fare-collectors have been killed for not paying the extortion money demanded by local gangs.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1GaSg6WBZk

June 7 Hey Bartender (Documentary. From imdb.com: “Two bartenders try to achieve their dreams through bartending.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUwmDqi2kA

June 7 Hello Herman (Drama with Norman Reedus [The Walking Dead] and Rob Estes)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Lz_iS5cYY

A JUDY BLUE MOVIE!!!! (Am I dating myself?) :lol: Tiger Eyes has a decent trailer, but I think I read all of Ms. Blume's books in my youth. So I'm definitely in for this one. I'm hoping it's a WONDERFUL movie with a decent trailer. The Wall looks like it could be either really great, or WAY too much navel-gazing. Finding Joy might be a sweet sleeper.

A lot of the other stuff is crap or downright offensive. If you are Christian (or even close) you might want to avoid "Rapture-Polooza" like the plague. I'm an atheist and I found this trailer to be AWFUL. Hello Herman looks pretty bad too, like the people who made it had no idea of how to deal with the subject of a mass shooting at a high school. Passion looks very boring (with Rachel McAdams and Noomi Rapace in the cast???) and Syrup looks YUCKY. Horrible subject and a great cast playing awful people....what a disappointment. :(

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Want to see Passion. Love both Rachel McAdamd and Noomi Rapace. Win win. Thank you for having this thread again! :)

Someone please rep our tireless movie buff for me.

22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Agree agree, but...did you watch the trailer?? :(

23. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

24. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I saw that Maniac comes out June 21st. Is this a wide release? I saw the trailer forever ago and can't wait to see it!

25. all_empty

Screening "The Purge" tomorrow night.

Probably not going to preview "World War Z" as the screening falls on my birthday. Somehow missed a half-dozen "Much Ado About Nothing" screenings, which I'm mad about it because I love Shakespeare.

26. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

As always, thank you for all the effort Peter :cheer:

From the poll, I want to watch:
    Man of Steel
    Wolverine
    Elysium
    Monsters University
    Despicable Me 2
    Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
    The mortal Instruments: City of Bones

Maybe:
    Pacific Rim (not a huge fan of big robots or Godzilla)
    Violet and Daisy
    The Purge

I wanted Loki, evil as he was... :shuffle: I'm very excited about Thor: The Dark World and is hoping it would come out this summer, but it's coming out in November... :wuzrobbed

I finally watched Iron Man 3 last week. I like it a lot, especially the "party protocol". :kickass: But, just like in Avengers, I find the comedic scenes a bit much. I wonder if Marvel is going to continue in this direction. I really hope they aren't going to do it to Thor 2 :scream: Thor 1 was perfect :swoon:

27. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Variety's review for "World War Z".

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

No, why?

29. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:yawn: + :blah: = :wuzrobbed

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Bummer. What a waste of good actresses. At least I've been warned and will not waste time on it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.