Let's Talk Movies! #23 : A Wolverine, A Super Dude and the End of the World. Twice.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, May 29, 2013.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  9. July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  11. August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  12. August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Magic Mike 2?

Occasionally, you see an actor in a movie, and you just think "did it for the paycheck".

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

IKWYM but ... I try to give the actors a little more credit than that. Things can go so horribly wrong between page and screen, and the actors (if they're not also producers and/or George Clooney) have limited control over the final product. Green Lantern should have been huge, and RIPD as a premise sounds like it could have been a whole lot of fun.

But yeah, there are some definite phone-in-did-it-for-the-paycheque performances we can all name.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Is there anything wrong with that? Actors need money too. :p

4. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Some would argue that since acting is supposed to be an art and not just a job, cheapening your art for money is wrong. I don't personally subscribe to that but I can see where the dissatisfaction comes from.

5. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

Finally saw Wolverine today and was disappointed too.

The beginning was ok and when Yukio first showed, I thought she would play an important role in the movie. Unfortunately her character was not exploited to its full potential, even in the fight scenes she was part of. However, even though her face is 'unusual', she was the perfect cast IMO.

Mariko was quite useless. Didn't she mention she won a competition using knives or daggers? Her skills certainly didn't show..BUT I found the actress absolutely gorgeous and classy, especially in her last scene.

Somes bits felt like a parody, for instance
    when Wolverine fell down with all the arrows on his back, he looked like a hedgehog

Oh, and since I complained about Cavill's insufficient shirtlessness in MoS, I will also complain about Jackman not getting naked enough to my taste.

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I dislike the idea that a woman is useless unless she displays mad action skillz. I agree, though, that the overall movie was a disappointment.

I don't know how Jackman could have got much nakeder, though, unless you wanted him to walk around without pants. :) He was bare-chested so often I thought he'd developed an allergy to shirts.

7. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I took my granddaughter to see Turbo. It was okay, not as good as Monsters U that we saw earlier. I have to say, though, that I prefer the old style of animation (like in the great Disney films) to the computer kind. Maybe it's my old age, but it just seemed more magical, if that makes sense.

8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I was reading an Entertainment Weekly issue from earlier this year and they listed the Top 50 Movies of 2012. The list is in order of U.S. box office, but they also listed International box office as well. Saw lots of interesting things, so thought I'd list what caught my eye...

#1 The Avengers - 623 domestic, 888 international. Okay, nothing stands out here except how BIG both numbers are! :eek: I smell sequel!!! :lol:

#3 The Hunger Games - 408 dom., 278 international. Hmm. Usually action-type movies do better internationally, so I'm wondering if the studio was disappointed with the international box office?

#4 Skyfall - 302 dom, 776 international. So is James Bond too British for the U.S.? Quite a jump in numbers there.

#5 The Hobbit... - 293 dom, 646 international. Another big jump...what's up, America?

#6 Breaking Dawn Part Two - 291 dom, 536 int. I was surprised to see this do so much better internationally. Maybe Romania's numbers tipped the scale? :p

#9 Ted - 218 dom, 296 int. I thought American comedies didn't do well overseas. This one proves me wrong. (Shows the U.S. has better taste than the rest of the world for comedies... :lol:)

#10 and #11

Madagascar 3 - 216/525
    The Lorax - 214/134

At first I was surprised to see a kids movie do double overseas...but right after it, The Lorax proves the rest of the world doesn't like kids movies that much? Or is Dr. Seuss strictly an American phenomenon??

#13 Men In Black 3 - 179/445. Another big overseas jump.

#14 Lincoln - 167/14. Bit of a dip. Are audiences in Japan, India and China not inthralled by life stories of U.S. presidents?? :p

#15 Ice Age: Continental Drift - 161/714. WHOA! Biggest jump in box office on this list??

#20 21 Jump Street - 138/63. The overseas market liked Ted, but not this? :huh:

#21 Les Miserables - 137/175. No comment about the numbers. Just :eek: that people paid money to see this piece of trash!! :lol:

#22 Prometheus - 126/276. One of those movies people would call a flop...130 million budget, 126 in box office. Lost money. Overseas box office makes ALL the difference.

#29 Life Of Pi - 103/421 ***. Another one people would call a flop. 120 million budget...flop in the U.S., but this movie didn't even need ANY U.S. box office to be a money-maker. The *** refers to the amounts in that I notice at the-numbers.com (where I often find budget info) that the box office numbers were still growing...they list 124/483 as the current box office.

#31 Flight - 93/8. Only eight million internationally??? :eek: Luckily the U.S. box office more than covered the 31 million budget.

#32 and #46

Think Like A Man - 91/5
    Tyler Perry's Madea's Witness Protection - 65/0

Apparently black people now only live in the U.S. Not only that, but overseas folk don't wanna see no black movies!! Neither movies gives a f***. The former had a 12 million dollar budget and the latter 20 million. Who needs you, international market???

#34 The Expendables 2 - 85, 215. Old action stars never die. Or age. (Well, they don't age overseas, anyway...)

#35 Wrath of the Titans - 82/218. 150 million budget...saved by the foreigners!!! :p

#36 Dark Shadows - 79/159. I'm guessing the international audience had the script re-written in the subtitles and somehow the MESS of a script with this movie got COMPLETELY re-vamped...

#37 Jack Reacher - 78/105. Sorry Tom, it's not only America that hates you... (Or at least your casting in this role...)

#38 John Carter - 73/209. 275 million budget. (Really??!!) Sorry, you're going to need big box office from the audience on Mars to turn a profit on this one!

#43 Contraband - 66/29. Nothing to say about the numbers. Just...there was a movie released last year called Contraband?? (Ring a bell for anybody else??)

#47 Battleship - 65/237. 209 million budget. Mr. Kitsch, you need to work with producers who know what the word "budget" means!!!

#48 Pitch Perfect - 65/42. 17 million budget. This one gets a mention because it's having greater success on DVD than in the theatre. the-numbers.com lists the DVD sales at 55 million currently. That will continue to grow, so this one has made quite a nice profit for the studio. A good example of how some movies that get good word of mouth will find success, even if it takes a bit longer than other movies.

By the way, does anyone know if "domestic box office" is America-only? Or does it include Canada (and how about Mexico)? Just curious as a Canuck... :D

9. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Just found this on Wikipedia:

So the U.S. has swallowed up Canada (what else is new ;) )...but Mexico is "foreigner" box office. Guess Canada has the same computerized box office tallying (cash) registers?

Oh, and I also just saw that The Avengers is the third biggest movie of all time (after James Cameron...and James Cameron). And John Carter is the third biggest bomb of all time. (250 budget, 282 worldwide box office, 108 million loss. They must have advertising/publicity info which determines the loss amount. So they spent about 70 million on publicity. :shuffle:)

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

21 Jump Street was brilliantly hilarious. They don't know what they are missing overseas. I am glad Pitch Perfect is doing well on DVD. I recommend it to everyone I know who hasn't seen it. I can't stand Glee and I loved this. It helps that it was filmed almost exclusively on LSU's campus/Baton Rouge so everyone around here likes to watch it for all the local landmarks. I keep meaning to buy it but haven't yet, it's one of those movies I could watch again and again (I've rented it two times already).

11. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Loved Pitch Perfect, but admit I only saw it on Cable.

12. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

No, but it's reasonable to expect more than a "damsel in distress" from a character who was a champion with daggers (or swords, or knives? I can't remember but she mentions it). Well, at least she seemed good at cooking, which makes her not so useless then.

Precisely

13. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

One person's trash is another person's treasure! ;) (It's cliché day at work .. please don't neg rep me. :D)

14. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Agreed. Is she a mutant? Is her power real? :confused:

Would have been awesome to see her fight using knives :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe the people didn't like the tv series? :p

I wonder why it flopped in the U.S. It's an awesome movie...

I don't think I know any of these movies... Maybe they didn't really advertise well?

15. BigB08822

Life of Pi looked like an absolutely awful movie from the previews I have seen. I still have absolutely no desire to rent it even though it would only cost me $1 and even though I have heard good things from some people. The entire trailer seemed to show a boy in a boat with a Tiger. It was like I was watching an updated trailer for Cast Away but with a Tiger instead of a Wilson volleyball. There also seemed to be some scenes that looked to be complete fantasy which did not go explained. I still don't have a clue what the movie is about. Maybe I will catch a bit of it when it finally comes on television one of these days.

16. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

When you finally watch it, you will kick yourself for having waited so long. Wonderful movie.

17. Artemis@BC

Life of Pi was my pick for best movie of the year. It blew away all my expectations -- and I'd read the book!

Judging a movie by its trailer alone is, at best, only about a 50% accurate indicator of whether or not I'll enjoy a movie.

18. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Life of Pi was completely amazing. The tiger was possibly the coolest character at the movies last year. And it had one of the bests shipwreck scenes.

19. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Another cheer for "Life of Pi" here. I thought it was the best movie of last year, perhaps it helped that I had no great expectations going in though. I hadn't read the book and had heard how "unfilmable" the story supposedly was, but I sat in rapt attention throughout the entire movie. And the 3D in the theatre was amazing!

I don't think Hollywood would have considered this movie a "flop." Other than Ang Lee's cut, the back-end on the production was surely quite low, so with broadcast rights and DVD sales, the film may have been profitable even if the foreign box office was closer to the domestic.

I wasn't aware that "The Hunger Games" foreign take was so low. I guess the books are more fan based in North America.

20. BigB08822

I agree but when it is something I know nothing about (never read the book or heard of it) the trailer is the only thing that is going to get me in to the theater.

Tomorrow is one of my last days off for the summer break. I plan on going to see The Conjuring and then I will rent Life of Pi on my way home. Yall convinced me to give it a try.

21. Artemis@BC

Hooray for the power of positive peer pressure.

:D

22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I've seen a number of movies recently that I've had a hard time trying to think of a word to describe them. What I've decided on is "dense". Like waking through a pool of quicksand. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing. The quicksand probably feels good against your body...and it'd be an excellent workout. But tough. That's kind of what these movies felt like to me. Tough to get through, but more often that not, worth it...

A Dangerous Method (Michael Fassbender, Keira Knightley, Viggo Mortensen) - This was the best of the "dense" bunch. :lol: Not as tough to get through as the others. A good (great?) story, very well directed and nice performances from all the cast. I had posted earlier about Knightley and wondering if there was much there, but the more I think of her performance in this movie, the more I like it. Actually, come to think of it, I think she probably steals the movie from the other actors. Don't try to get away with that on the imdb message boards, where most people are ripping her to shreds. But what they complain about is how irritating the character is (mainly her mannerisms). Irritating doesn't mean the acting performance was bad. Just because someone makes you uncomfortable with their performance, it doesn't mean they failed at their job. Rather, I think she was most successful in this movie as she got such a reaction out of so many people.

Salaam Bombay! directed by Mira Nair - This one had been on my To See list forever! A very good movie, but it took me many sittings to get through. Tough subject matter...the daily lives of abandoned children in India. Heartbreaking, really...but worthwhile viewing if you care about what life is like for different people on our planet. Nair has also directed The Namesake (2006 starring Kal Penn), Amelia (2009 with Hilary Swank and Richard Gere) and Vanity Fair (2004 with Reese Witherspoon and Jonathan Rhys Meyers).

Last Night (Keira Knightley, Sam Worthington and Eva Mendes) - I found this movie to be more interesting after having finished it and watching the DVD extras. Talk about which is more hurtful in a relationship...
    sex with someone else that meant nothing, or emotional/psychological sharing with someone else that means the world?
    I had a tough time getting into this one because I find people who are uncommital in their relationships to be really frustrating. People who don't want to be alone, so they get in a relationship that doesn't really fill the needs they need to have met. Anyway, I can't say this movie is bad, but I can't say it's great either.

Grey Owl (Pierce Brosnan) - Another one to watch to be more aware of a certain time in history. Just not a fun movie...hardship after difficulty after problem. :( An interesting story, the script just needed some lighter moments throughout to balance out the feel of the movie.

Les Miserables - Okay, I just referred to this as trash and that was too harsh. But it was a mess. I've never seen the stage production, so maybe making a movie of the play would never have pleased me...only three good songs for a 2.5 hour movie? And I hate the musical filler in between the rare good song that sounds like the actors just have to make up a melody with their lines. So they're not songs, just actors reciting their lines in a sing-songy way. Blech. And I didn't get the Javert character. Just shoot him in the head already, Valjean!! I liked Hathaway and Fantine, but her big screen moment had been built up SO much before seeing it that I ended up thinking it was good, but not necessarily great. Oh, and were Cohen and Carter on loan from the Sweeney Todd set???

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  23. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Enjoying Summer Under The Stars on TCM. Bogie salute was great! Love, love, love The Big Sleep!

24. BigB08822

Tonight I think I am going to rent Maniac on iTunes. It pains me to pay $7 for a movie rental but I don't know if this will be out any time soon. I might try to hold off a bit longer and hope it appears in Redbox soon.

25. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Knightley did not steal the movie for me, Mortensen did, but then, Freud had all the best lines. Knightley is so OTT, so out there, that I have a hard time believing her character was ever successfully cured/healed enough that she could go on to have a career as a therapist herself. It's not that the performance is bad, but it just is too strong and it's like KK is in a different movie from everyone else.

26. Artemis@BC

ITA. I found Knightly nearly unwatchable in that film -- thank goodness Fassbender and Mortensen were both so great. I agree her character is hard to like, that's definitely part of it, but her performance was just one bad acting decision from beginning to end, imo.

Frankly, though, I just find her too modern for all the period films she does. All of the films I've liked her in have been modern settings, and all the ones I've hated her in have been period pieces. Coincidence?

27. immoimeme

immoimeme having a FREAKING nice day

"A Dangerous Method" was so Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I can't believe I remember seeing it lol.

"Beasts of the Southern Wild"was....wild! I think it's one of those it or hate it films. I loved it but not enough to see it again any time soon.

"God Bless America"-lol. I *know* you have to be American to get it. Lol. It's....lol, pretty grim lol.

I also got "Under the Tuscan Sun" because this young lady at the library said her mom really liked it. Well usually that's a big NOT fir me but there was nothing else so....lol I liked It too and want my own house in Tuscany too dayumit! ;-)

28. Peaches LaTour

Peaches LaTour Well-Known Member

An interesting interview recently with Stephen Spielberg in which he stated that Hollywood is so busy making these big-budget, blockbuster movies where they hope to make multi-million dollar windfalls that they are no longer making "small" films with story-lines that matter. Simply put, he said that Hollywood no longer makes movies with "magic".

Since I rarely go to movies anymore, I hate to say that I "agree" but truly, there haven't been too many movies out the last couple of years that even intrigue me enough to want to spend the money it takes for admission these days.

However, there is on film coming up that I do want to see and that is, "Parkland". Dependent upon whether or not it lives up to its current pre-screening buzz and dependent upon whether or not I can handle watching the topic on screen - even 50 years later. :(

29. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Just saw Pacific Rim. It's a bit ridiculous, but not annoyingly so; in fact it was quite entertaining, and gorgeous. Definitely a film to see on a big screen! The monster designs were awesome, and I loved the scenes in Hong Kong, with all the neon lights everywhere.

And I love Mako, and the fact that she and Mr Main Character McWhatsisface*
    didn't kiss at the end. I'm no fan of the Obligatory Movie Romance™, so I'm glad they left that out, even if there were hints of interest.

One thing that bugged me, which bugs me in plenty of films: this was yet another film with plenty of dudes, but hardly any women, even though there were parts that could just as well have been filled by an actress. Why not have one or both of the kooky science dudes be kooky science chicks? Why couldn't the Hannibal Chau character have been an awesomely, fabulously OTT woman instead? Just wondering...

Next stop: Elysium.

*Seriously, what was the guy's name? I had frickin' subtitles and I still can't remember it! Also, I kept confusing him and the two Australian guys. Too many blond macho dudes on the screen!

30. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Interesting abt Spielberg.
    I so agree about movies. I used to go to see a movie in the theatre at least once a week, probably 6 or more in a month. It seems like the last few years, I can skip weeks at a time. I could have gone to a movie today, but nothing really interested me of what I have not seen. And I enjoy all types of movies, comedy, drama, indie, foreign, action etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.