Let's Talk Movies! #23 : A Wolverine, A Super Dude and the End of the World. Twice.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, May 29, 2013.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Trailers Below For Viewing)

1. June 14th - Man of Steel - Action Adventure with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Kevin Costner….

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. June 14th - The Bling Ring - Crime comedy with Emma Watson, Leslie Mann, Gavin Rossdale…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. June 14th - This Is the End - Sci-Fi Comedy with Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. June 21st - World War Z - Action horror thriller with Brad Pitt, Matthew Fox and David Morse

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. June 28th - The Heat - Action Comedy with Sandra Bullock, Melissa McCarthy, Michael Rapaport…

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. July 3rd - The Lone Ranger - Action adventure western with Armie Hammer, Johnny Depp…

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. July 5th - The Way, Way Back - Comedy with Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Allison Janney…

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. July 19th - Girl Most Likely - Comedy with Kristen Wiig, Annette Benning, Matt Dillon…

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  9. July 19th - The Conjuring - Horror thriller with Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Lili Taylor…

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. July 24th - The Wolverine - Action Adventure with Hugh Jackman and Famke Janssen

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  11. August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, James Marsden…

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  12. August 9th - Elysium - Sci-Fi with Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley and Diego Luna

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Interesting that a documentary and a feature film are both out at roughly the same time. No prizes for guessing which one will be bigger, though!

Hmm. I adore Ms. Streep ... but it's another film made from a play that I really think works best as a play. The other being Doubt of course -- great film, but the intensity of it worked so much better live & on stage. Osage doesn't have quite that same level, but I'm having a hard time imagining a film version that will be better than the play.

Nonetheless, still looking forward to it.

And a whole lotta other promising-looking titles on that list!

2. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Looks like several plot elements will be cut out as the movie's length is estimated to be 2 hours, 10 minutes, while the play clocks in a 3 hours (I believe that's the time not including the intermissions).

There has been a lot of buzz as to how the movie version would turn out ever since the play was staged on Broadway five years ago....the expectations may be a little too high.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Just screened "The Wolverine."

As a longtime Marvel/X-Men fan, I was very disappointed.

The plot was confusing, full of unnecessary characters, and the action sequences were downright silly.

For those of you into such things, Hugh Jackman is shirtless throughout (and pantsless too at one point) and be sure to stay for the aftercredits.

4. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

On Gravity...the idea of two people floating in space is so terrifying to the extreme, the internal suspense from this alone will drive the story for me. Also, Cuaron's movies are so visually spectacular and from the trailer, this one seems to follow that aesthetic. Really excited to see this on a big screen.

5. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

She's got three of 'em. She's not "due" anything. Especially when you think of all the great actors who have never even won one!

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

She should have at least 5! She's due!!!

7. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Some months ago when I first watched the trailer for Oblivion, I excitedly told my friend that it looked original. He scoffed and showed me the trailer for Pacific Rim. I was :huh: because it looked like a mix of Godzilla and Ultraman with some elements of mecha anime (Eva, Gundam and even Big O comes to mind) mixed in. I just watched it and that was exactly what Pacific Rim was :rofl:

The plot followed the predictable path of the genre and I can't think of a single scene that I thought was original. I guess now I know what happens when Hollywood does mecha. :shuffle:

8. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I dunno why lately I expect many modern movies to be cheezy but I'm glad I ran across another that was not: "Looper." It had my attention from start to end.
    Alas the same could not be said for an old film starring the v HAWT Errol Flynn: "The Charge of the Light Brigade." The extrrrremely phallic towers at the gate at Chukoti were extrrrremely distracting and I dunno how the actors managed tonot ROTFLOL every time they had to be in a scene with them-which was a out 1/2 the movie. The dialogue is stilted, the PC factor is off the charts, and surely the set director never worked again (one can hope). This DVD is recommended for one thing only-and ONLY one thing-a great little short called "Give Me Liberty". A recreation (of sorts) of Patrick Henry's famous speech iit's as applicable today as it was then.

9. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I was just looking through my TV Guide and saw that "Precious" is coming on next week on one of the local channels. It made me wonder what projects Mo'Nique has coming up. Nothing at all is listed at imdb.com or Wikipedia since Precious. Weird! There was one mention that she has the life story rights to make a movie about Hattie McDaniel. So maybe she's been trying to line up that project?? Which made me go check out Hattie McDaniel at imdb.com. It mentions that not only was McDaniel the first African-American to be nominated for an Oscar, but that she "became the first African-American to attend the Academy Awards as a guest, not a servant." :eek: Also (from imdb.com):

Personal quotes (also from imdb.com):

10. Wyliefan

She was truly one of the greats. I'd like to see a biopic of her.

11. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

I would, too. Who would play her?

12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw "The Conjuring" today and really liked it a lot. I would recommend it to anyone who are into spooky movies with little blood and gore. If you are interested in learning more about the true story behind the movie red the link below.
    http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/conjuring.php

Here are some of the other movies I am interested in seeing:

The Butler
    Fruitvale Station
    Jobs
    Elysium
    Springsteen and I
    Stranded
    Getaway

13. Wyliefan

Octavia Spencer? She might have to gain some weight for it, but I think she has a somewhat similar facial shape to start with. (And like McDaniel, she knows what it's like to be criticized for playing a maid!)

14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Did you even read my post? :drama:

15. Wyliefan

I did, but I didn't know you meant Mo'nique wanted to star -- she could have wanted to produce and/or direct instead. Sometimes that's what people mean when they say so-and-so has the rights to make a movie.

16. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Three movies that I really recommend:

Mama (Jessica Chastain and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) - Wow, I loved this movie! It gave me chills a number of times it was so effective. The four main characters are all wonderfully played by the stars. If you like supernatural thrillers, you gotta see this one! Oh, and Nikolaj is my new future ex-husband. :D

The Words (Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Irons, Zoe Saldana, Dennis Quaid, Olivia Wilde and Ron Rifkin) - I have NO idea why this movie didn't do better at the box office. Too smart?? Wonderful script that never goes anywhere you expect it to. Great performances, although one could argue that Saldana's role was underwritten compared to those of the other characters. The movie did make 12 million on a six million dollar budget, so it wasn't a write-off. I expect this one will make WAY more money over time through rentals and DVD sales because of strong word of mouth.

Hit & Run (Kristen Bell, Dax Shepard, Kristin Chenoweth, Bradley Cooper and Beau Bridges) - It's Bradley Cooper double feature week! Another under-appreciated movie, making only 14 million at the box office, but this was made for only two million. (How the HECK did they make a movie that looks this good for so little???) Anyway, another smart script for Bradley Cooper and friends. Lots of fun, but thoughtful and sweet as well. I did not have high expectations for this movie, so I was VERY happily surprised.

And one that I recommend (just not one that I REALLY recommend) ;) ...

Modern Times (Charles Chaplin and Paulette Goddard) - This is one of those movies that ended up on my list after looking over one of those '1,001 movies to see before you die' books. I'm not crazy for silent films...that considered, this movie was enjoyable. I watched it pretty much at double speed for the whole movie though. A few classic movie scenes to be sure. And one that made me think, "oh...THAT'S where Lucille Ball got that idea from"! :lol: Paulette Goddard looked like Molly Shannon in this movie to me. (But Molly is funnier... :)) Wanted to see what Charlie Chaplin looked like when he wasn't in Little Tramp gear and make-up. This is the photo I liked best that I found. HOTTIE!!! :swoon:

Oh, don't worry about me, I just use any opportunity I can to let my inner drama queen shine... :rofl:

17. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I loved 'The Words'. Coooper impressed me, and with Silvers Lining Playbook, he shows he is more than a pretty face. Jeremy Irons is one of my favs and does not wrong. Also I read somewhere that the script was written by a friend of Cooper's and he got it made after his success in Hangover. Plus that fact I saw a clip of Cooper speaking french on a french tv show - again not a another pretty face. I really enjoyed how The Words unfolded, and yes, not a standard story.

I have been working on cleaning up my DVR, from movies I recorded back in Feb on TCM. ones I had not seen before....
    To Have and To Have Not - my expectations were to high, it was good, not great. Something about the setting, etc just felt a little like Casablanca lite and not original. Chemistry between Bogie and Bacall was cool.
    An American in Paris - music and dancing was good, but story line was boring. I found myself playing games on my cellphone, not a good sign.
    Singin in the Rain - see review for An American in Paris. Something about the makeup on Gene Kelly distracted me, looked kind of botox like, but that wasn't around then. Again love the singing and dancing, but storyline so so. But Jean Hagen as Lina Lamont was really fun, as was Donald O'Connor.
    I think I enjoy musicals more when the story is meatier and not so light.

Also rewatched Rebecca (1941) for the umpteenth time. Just love that movie. I think because I remember seeing it as a kid and still enjoy it.

Also saw 'Dream House' with Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz and Naomi Watts. Good thriller, unexpected turn. But one of the those movies that based on the casting, it gave somethings away. Watts part was really small and you know she had to be important, as was Jane Alexander. Sometimes movies like this are better if the cast is complete unknowns. I think if that was the case with this movie, it would have been even creepier.

18. Wyliefan

I've been wanting to see that -- I've seen very little Chaplin, but I loved Goddard in The Women. Her part was a little overwritten at times, but she really made something special out of it.

19. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Modern Times is my favourite Chaplin film.

I just saw The Heat and it's the funniest movie I've seen in the theatre in years. It pinged my particular sense of humour and I was belly laughing the WHOLE way through. McCarthy and Bullock have super chemistry and seriously, McCarthy is amazing in this. She's just so badass and razor sharp, and she's so wonderful in her vulnerable moments too. Fun night.

20. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

That's a film I could never watch, knowing that many of the horses used during the Charge itself were killed or fatally injured by tripwires and buried explosives. :(

21. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

The Wolverine took the top spot at the box office this weekend, with 55 million. Which is half of it's 110 million budget. But if they spent 55 million on advertising and publicity, that means they are back to zero. These kinds of movies do better overseas, so I'm guessing it will break even, if not make a profit. But I doubt the people behind this movie are happy with 55 million. Despicable Me 2 is now at just over 300 million in less than a month and there's no way The Wolverine will catch that. (Despicable Me 2 has made 311 million overseas...is it the new "Titanic"? Who expected this to be one of the biggest movies of all time??) The Wolverine did take in 14,000 per theatre, double that of The Conjuring at #2 with about 7,000 per theatre. But the big per-theatre winner was Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine, which opened in only SIX theatres, but took in 102,123 per theatre! :eek:

The weekend box office chart

Helen Hunt viewing week:

The Sessions (with John Hawkes, William H. Macy, Moon Bloodgood and in smaller roles, Rhea Pearlman and Adam Arkin) - I loooooved this movie! John Hawkes was DEFINITELY robbed of an Oscar nomination. At least Helen got one, but while she was really good, John deserved one more in my opinion. This is such a wonderful movie, sweet, thought-provoking and one that you don't want to pause because you have to know how it's going to go. I noticed at imdb.com that the budget was only one million. :eek: I'm guessing everyone loved the script and decided to work for scale. The movie made six million in the U.S. and four million overseas. Such a shame that it didn't do better, but at least it didn't lose money. Another one that I think will do well on DVD through positive word-of-mouth.

Every Day (also with Liev Schreiber, Eddie Izzard, Carla Gugino, Ezra Miller and Brian Dennehy) - I had never heard of this movie, just stumbled upon it at the library. And that exactly describes how I'd rate it...something you'd pick up at the library for free when you've got nothing else to watch. That's not a thumbs down, though. Thumbs mildly up...a decent movie but not a great movie. One you would watch because you love somebody in the cast and need to see it because of them. It does have one of the better depictions of a gay teenager in the movie, but the gay bar he goes to must be located in Stereotype-Ville. One extra bonus is a surprisingly fit Schreiber in a speedo during an impromptu pool party. :grope:

22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

PeterG. I have a movie recommendation for you. It is a movie called "Someone's Knocking at the Door." Watch it and tell me if that is not the most ridiculous plot for a horror/thriller movie you have ever seen. It is available on Netflix streaming if you have it. The general idea could have been interesting but it got so insanely silly so fast... Just to be clear, I am recommending a REALLY BAD movie because sometimes they are so bad that they are good.

I am going to see The Conjuring this week. It looked like a rental but word of mouth has been so strong so I will make sure to see it in theaters this week while I am still out for the summer.

23. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Isn't this the movie that forced the industry to establish some sort of regulations for animals in movies? Seems like I've read that somewhere.

24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Major movies out this week:

August 2nd - 2 Guns - Action with Mark Wahlberg, Denzel Washington, Paula Patton, Bill Paxton, Edward James Olmos and James Marsden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-FCY8Df1Q
    1.5 million views

July 31st - The Smurfs 2 - Family comedy with Neil Patrick Harris, Sofía Vergara, Hank Azaria, Tim Gunn, Brendan Gleeson, Katy Perry, Jonathan Winters, Alan Cumming, Fred Armisen, George Lopez, Anton Yelchin, John Oliver and Christina Ricci
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgnwpGTGZEo
    2.5 million views

And the rest...

August 2 - The Spectacular Now - Drama with Shailene Woodleym, Miles Teller, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Kyle Chandler
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDTBLSkUmYk

August 2 - The Canyons – Dramatic thriller with Lindsay Lohan and Gus Van Zant
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJeu4zFCdpU
    1.3 million views

August 2 - Europa Report – Sci-fi thriller with Sharlto Copley
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbw9hlBnG74

July 31 - Smash & Grab: The Story of the Pink Panthers – Documentary. From imdb.com: “In their own words and with unprecedented access, the most successful jewel thieves of all time take you into their world…”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szIwZ7JQRhk

August 2 - Our Children – French drama. From imdb.com: “Mounir and Murielle fall in love…they accept to give up their autonomy by agreeing to live with Mounir's well off adoptive father. On the material level, all is well. But a house is not a home, and Murielle feels more and more stifled...”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NahXt2OhS3Y

August 2 - Drift – Sports (surfing) drama with Sam Worthington
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGEwsKORMQ8

August 2 - The Artist And The Model – French drama. From imdb.com: “Marc Cros, an elderly sculptor, lives with his wife Lea in the south of France, safe from the War that rages in the distance.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7MdQjqRjyw

August 2 - Cockneys vs. Zombies – Comedy horror with new cast
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foqo0W_Qh9c

The Spectacular Now looks pretty good. My first thought while watching the trailer for The Canyons is "my God, this is TERRIBLE!!!" But then I realized it's supposed to look like that. So I'm intrigued. Could be great and could be crap. What do you think of this trailer??!! :lol: Europa Report is the kind of movie I like, but the trailer is AWFUL. :( Our Children looks like a good movie, but uber depressing, so I'm going to skip it. Cockneys vs. Zombies started off well, but shortly after it started it was all guns, knives, guns, weapons and guns. Blech. Skipping it!

25. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Watched R I P D this past weekend. Ever see a movie that wasn't that good, but you think that if one or two little things were changed it would be good? That was this movie.

26. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Sorry, PeterG. I saw your post, but didn't read it that she wanted to play her, only that she had the rights to make the story.

27. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I watched Wolverine today and was somewhat disappointed.
    A superhero losing his power and then finally getting it back to save the day while snagging (or should I say shagging?) the damsel in distress is such a cliche.
    I wish they had gone a different direction with this movie. Some parts of the movie felt really slow and played out like a sappy romance drama :scream: I wish there was a scene with the girls fighting in a kimono :lol:To me, the most exciting part of the movie come after the credit ;)

Can't wait for Elysium :)

28. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

The Katy Perry movie made me cry... what does that say about me?

29. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Movie box at library screwed up and staff unwilling to intervene at 5 min til close so I wuz robbed of watching "beasts of the southern wild " and had to make do with what was easily grabbable on display-"Logan's run" and "marathon man" which is still a v v gd movie. "Logan's run"-still cheezy after all these years lol.

30. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I wonder what this will do to Ryan Reynolds' career. Green Lantern was a bust and now this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.