Let's Talk Movies! #22 : Steve Jobs, Some Trekkies, An Ozzy...and IRON MAN!!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Feb 26, 2013.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. Oz the Great and Powerful - Fantasy - James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Comedy - Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, Steve Buscemi, Steve Carell

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. March 15th - The Call - Thriller - Abigail Breslin, Halle Berry and Morris Chestnut

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. March 22nd - Admission - Comedy - Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Michael Sheen and Lily Tomlin

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. April 12th - Oblivion - Action, Sci-Fi - Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman and Melissa Leo

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. April 12th - Scary Movie 5 - Comedy, Horror - Ashley Tisdale, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. April 19th - jOBS - Drama - Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, James Woods, Matthew Modine

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. April 26th - Pain & Gain – Action - Rebel Wilson, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Ken Jeong

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. May 3rd - Iron Man 3 - Action, Sci-Fi - Robert Downey, Jr., Ben Kingsley, Don Cheadle

25 vote(s)
    46.3%
  10. Great Gatsby - Drama, Romance - Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher

26 vote(s)
    48.1%
  11. Star Trek Into Darkness - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana

35 vote(s)
    64.8%
  12. May 24th - The Hangover III - Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Also coming in August: Europa Report, a sci-fi film about an international team of astronauts going to Jupiter's moon Europa. There hasn't really been any info about the plot yet, but Sharlto Copley's in it, so of course I'm going to see it. :)

2. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I saw Stone (Edward Norton, Robert DeNiro, Milla Jovovich and Frances Conroy) last weekend. I thought it was pretty good. Not sure why the audience avoided it like the plague. (It made 4 million worldwide and had a budget of 22 million.) It's got a great cast and an interesting story. Maybe it wasn't black and white enough for mainstream audiences, leaving lots of space for people to think who's a good guy and who's a bad guy...and does such a thing really even exist? It's great to see Jovovich get to work alongside such great actors and stretch herself instead of just doing the superhero movies. I'm a fanboy, so I'm happy to see her in anything. :D

all_empty is some kind of movie industry spy and must remain cryptic about his/her background at all times. For I want the insider details also!! :D

I think she's suppressing rage. The public only go see the crap movies she does and when she does anything with substance, people avoid it like the plague. Kudos to her for not cursing like a sailor to the audience and doing everything she can to stay in character as much is humanly possible. :p

3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw "42" today and found it not only really good but something anyone, and not just baseball fans, could appreciate and enjoy.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I think it's likely she is suppressing rage. It's the cause of the rage that I am doubtful about... :shuffle:

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

The Queen of Versailles will be on Bravo eom. I highly recommend it. No matter how bad yr life is you will feel so way hella better that you so called sucky life is gazillion times better than that of the Siegels.

7. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

It was a fascinating look at some bizarre people

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I watched Eden Lake (Michael Fassbender, Kelly Reilly) last night. One of those movies that sticks with you for a while and makes you think about a lot of different things. imdb.com lists it as a horror thriller but really it's more a psychological thriller. Definitely recommended, but not if Pixar makes your favourite kind of movies! :D

Hmm. I just got this from the library. I am planning on watching the unrated version. I will brace myself!! :lol:

I liked her in Red Eye, Wedding Crashers, The Family Stone and Mean Girls. And yes...I liked her in The Time Traveler's Wife and even...The Vow! :lol:

It's like they're playing darts and they'll keep shooting until something sticks... :drama:

9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Ever since I saw the trailer I have been waiting to see this movie, but I may have to wait until next weekend; there is too much going on right now.

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Beverley Hills Chuhuahua is on CBC right now! I LOVE this movie! :cheer2:

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Peter, where do you see all of these movies? I don't even see most of them available on Netflix (streaming or DVD).

12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Most I get from my local library. It's part of a very large library system, so they get 75% of the new movies (and TV shows) that get released. Occasionally they even buy a movie I request (such is the case with Eden Lake). And there are lots of other library systems around for me to get stuff that my local library system does not have.

13. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

14. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

15. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Some of the smaller movies coming out this week listed below, the first two are ones I'm interested in. If you like Kristin Scott Thomas (as much as I do!) then watch the trailer for her movie until the final second (!!!). And Herman's House looks amazing, one of the most interesting documentaries to come out in quite a while (IMHO!).

Apr-19 In the House (French mystery thriller with Kristin Scott Thomas)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eegoZpxQCzc

Apr-19 Herman's House (Documentary. From imdb.com: “'What kind of house does a man who has been imprisoned in a six-foot-by-nine-foot cell for over 30 years dream of?' This film captures the remarkable creative journey and friendship of Herman Wallace, one of the Angola 3, and artist Jackie Sumell while examining the injustice of prolonged solitary confinement.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V3ZOk_oyzA

Apr-19 Filly Brown (Musical drama with new cast and Lou Diamond Phillips and Edward James Olmos)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw_wy1mAYhI

Apr-19 Home Run (Christian sports drama with Scott Elrod and Vivica A. Fox)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se3L51jHIos

Apr-19 At Any Price (Drama with Zac Efron, Dennis Quaid and Heather Graham)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCejqfqoQZA

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I screened "Oblivion" on Monday (and sat behind Leonard Maltin, of all people).

I actually liked it and Tom Cruise in that role (he looks incredible for 50 -- naked shower scenes if you're into that). Morgan Freeman is barely in it despite all the posters. I thought it was a nice twist on a sci-fi tale, but my friend didn't.

I can't talk about the plot too much otherwise I'll give the entire movie away.

Special effects were well-done but the pacing was uneven. Still worth seeing (and thankfully not in 3D given intense dogfight scenes).

Next up, "Iron Man 3." I actually passed up on the screening because I don't want to drive to the lot. Will catch the next one though.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  17. all_empty

I work for a major studio and get to see a lot of the competition (a number of my friends also get Academy screeners).

There's two ways you can go about getting a job like mine: Move to Hollywood and work your way up the studio system. Or, write for a really big (name or traffic) website and get access. I did both.

18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

19. michiruwater

I wanted to see more things in the Arena :drama: I really am excited to see how they make this Arena look. Just reading it, it sounded so cinematic.

But what it showed - all of which I imagine takes place in, what, the first hour or so of the movie? Maybe the first 30 minutes? Looked good. Was her hair quite that dark in the last film though? It looks almost black.

20. all_empty

Her hair is definitely black -- I interviewed Jennifer while she was filming (she's doing reshoots now) and it was very dark in person.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  21. michiruwater

That's weird. In the first one it was definitely a fairly dark brown, but not black.

22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Wow--just watched a docu on HBO and I'm not sure if it was released as a movie first but watching this is certainly time well spent imho: Which Way Is the Front Line From Here? The Life and Times of Tim Hetherington is the name of the film.

23. all_empty

It wasn't completely black...but there were definite black parts throughout. It looked terrible ... I'm not sure why she did red carpets with that hair.

Edited to add: Here's the pic from the event: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...rives-at-the-los-angeles-news-photo/156735813

So glad Sam Claflin is getting his breakout role as Finnick. He's one of the most down-to-earth guys. We spent five minutes talking about how excited he was to try Mexican food during the "Snow White" press tour in Mexico City.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  24. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I've liked him ever since he was in that one Pirates movie (even though the movie was terrible and the role shoddily written). I'm glad for him too!

25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Just finished (re-)watching Final Destination. I had actually requested part five as Stephen King had said in Entertainment Weekly that part five had one of the best action sequences he had ever seen. But the librarian got my request wrong and ordered part one instead. So I felt I should watch it again. Pretty good, and what a cast...of unknowns (for the most part) at that time: Devon Sawa, Ali Larter, Kerr Smith, Seann William Scott and Brendan Fehr. The DVD extras were good in how screen testing was done, specifically at that time (the extra must be quite new rather than something made shortly after the release of the movie). And how the ending was VERY different from what the final version had...and how a romantic storyline was almost completely scrapped. I love good DVD extras. :D

Yes, it looks wonderful. I hope it's not Jodie Foster's final time in front of the camera, which she (...sort of...) stated at the recent Golden Globes... :(

Wow...I really should have listened to you. I got Ted from the library, watched half an hour and thought, "WHY am I watching this?" So I gave up. I rarely do that. Even with Resident Evil: Retribution which I just watched at double and triple time. It's just like Lord of the Rings....walk, fight...walk, fight....walk, fight. I swear the earlier Resident Evil movies had a plot... :wuzrobbed

I just saw him in Cold Light of Day (also starring Sigourney Weaver and Bruce Willis). VERY good start to the movie (which just so happen to have some shirtless shots of Mr. Henry :swoon:). But the second half doesn't really seem to go anywhere. No surprise it bombed at the box office, in spite of it's excellent cast. Sigourney's role was very under-written, I hope she got a BIG paycheque for this one...

Isn't that the movie about the uber-wealthy people who waste all their riches? I doubt I'll be able to sympathize much for this bunch! :lol:

26. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I think her hair looks blacker because in the first film, she had quite a bit of spray tan to give her more of an olive complexion. This time her skin looks its natural shade, which would be in keeping with the fact that the first half of the film is set during the winter and she's living a more posh lifestyle, so less skin exposure.

Ridiculously excited. The trailer is pretty top heavy to the first half of the film, but I guess they wanted to keep the Victors under wraps a bit longer. They'll be in the next trailer and we'll get a better sense of the scope then. But so far it looks great. :)

27. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I didn't feel sympathy, it was more incredulousness, staring open-mouth at the screen thinking OMG how stupid

28. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Exactly. My friend summed them up as "helpless and hopeless." I'm not so nice, I was more like "how can you be that stupid and LIVE?!?!" but I guess it happens all the time lol.

Playing more catcup, I feel that if I don't get to see the whole movie of "The Great Gatsby" like, TOMR, I am going to run around screaming. the previews look FAN tasTIC. I love lush Luhrman movies like that. I want to see it NOW!!! (stomps foot pouts and whines, like that'll change thangs eys lol)

now back to reality:
    "Rock of Ages" way hella better than expected-even tho I'm no fan of 80's music (at ALL) I watched this film about 6 times. Stellar cast, perfectly cast, and Tom Cruise especially spot on.
    "Butter" pretty dayum funny the lives behind the "nice Midwesterner" image told by a story of butter. I watched it 3 or 4 times.
    "A Better Life" get out your Kleenex it's a tear jerker in a good way but .... will stop there cause I have no time for lengthy diatribe.
    "Eastern Promises" Viggo Mortensen pitch perfect.
    "The Expendables" eys they all were because Sly Stallone couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag. Wasted talent. 35 seconds ;eft bye!!

29. michiruwater

I watched Wings (1927), the original Best Picture winner from 1929 and the first silent film I've watched (if we don't include The Artist). It's surprisingly long - 2.5 hours - and quite lavish. Lots of long, extended scenes of fight pilot dogfights, as well as many conversational scenes that took simply forever without progressing the plot. In addition, Clara Bow's character was obviously thrown in to capitalize on her stardom - which I knew nothing about, which horrified my father who then explained it to me :lol: - but her character is really unnecessary, even if she gets top billing, because the story of the film is about the friendship between two American pilots who are in love with the same girl back home (who is not played by Ms. Bow, whom you could have actually cut out of the film entirely and it would have still made sense). Basically, it's Pearl Harbor 80 years earlier and way, way better. A lot of the WWI scenes they shot were really top-notch and I was surprised at how realistic they were and how good the special effects were for the time. The film was restored in 2012 and it was clearly lovingly done - aside from the color changing it was very clear. We chose to listen to it with the new score written as opposed to 2.5 hours of pipe organ, and the composer cleverly wove lots of recognizable themes throughout the 2.5 hours of continuous music. I'd recommend it for sure, just maybe have a cookbook or something to glance through when you get to some of the pointless, extended scenes :shuffle: Oh, and there's a part in the middle (after the Intermission) where one of the pilots is in Paris and Ms. Bow is there that is not just pointless but absolutely does not fit in with the general feel of the rest of the film (the pilot is drunk and keeps seeing badly-done bubbles everywhere?...) that you could probably just skip, if you wanted.That was a cookbook moment for sure. If they had cut out about an hour of the film and just focused on the pilots I would have said it was really very excellent even by modern standards.

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Five movie recommendations:

Perks of Being A Wallflower (Emma Watson, Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller, Nina Dobrev, Kate Walsh Paul Rudd and Dylan McDermott) - Wow, this one was amazing. It makes me think about the kind of script I'd like to write one day that instead of focussing on the man vs. x, y or z standard, it's about people and their connection to one another and how they move forward instead of being in some sort of combat with someone or something. A great script and a wonderful young cast. Great deleted scenes on the DVD also, so worthy of being in the movie in spite of ending up on the cutting room floor.

Pink Ribbons, Inc. - I've been watching a fair number of documentaries over the last few years, and this is one of the best. Focussing on the breast cancer "industry" and how companies are using breast cancer as a way of creating profit for their products. It also focusses on the push towards making everything pink, pretty and nice when in reality it can of course be quite the opposite and how this push can hurt some as much as help them. Definitely recommended viewing.

The Beaver (Mel Gibson, Anton Yelchin, Jennifer Lawrence, Cherry Jones and Jodie Foster) - It would be a mistake to skip this one because the (arguably offensive) Mel Gibson is the star. It's a very interesting and different script with great performances. And if you feel a pull towards skipping this one because of Gibson, remind yourself that Jennifer Lawrence is in this one...and see it!! :D

Looper (Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis) - Recommended, but somewhat plot-heavy. I don't think I've ever said that about a movie before! :lol: The first half was good enough, but the second half is kind of like the sequel to part one so you have to change your thinking about what everything is about. Just seemed like it was trying to be too much, writing this makes me think it really could have been two separate movies. Still, it's very well-done drama/sci-fi.

Surviving Progress - A great documentary about how humankind's abilities are surpassing our ethical values and standards. To the point that we are doing things...simply because we can - and the planet is suffering. This movie has made me think about humans think they're at the top of the food chain, but we're secondary to the planet. Without a healthy planet, there will not be healthy humans. Another definite for your To See list. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.