Let's Talk Movies! #22 : Steve Jobs, Some Trekkies, An Ozzy...and IRON MAN!!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Feb 26, 2013.

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. Oz the Great and Powerful - Fantasy - James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Comedy - Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, Steve Buscemi, Steve Carell

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. March 15th - The Call - Thriller - Abigail Breslin, Halle Berry and Morris Chestnut

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. March 22nd - Admission - Comedy - Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Michael Sheen and Lily Tomlin

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. April 12th - Oblivion - Action, Sci-Fi - Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman and Melissa Leo

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. April 12th - Scary Movie 5 - Comedy, Horror - Ashley Tisdale, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. April 19th - jOBS - Drama - Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, James Woods, Matthew Modine

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. April 26th - Pain & Gain – Action - Rebel Wilson, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Ken Jeong

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. May 3rd - Iron Man 3 - Action, Sci-Fi - Robert Downey, Jr., Ben Kingsley, Don Cheadle

25 vote(s)
    46.3%
  10. Great Gatsby - Drama, Romance - Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher

26 vote(s)
    48.1%
  11. Star Trek Into Darkness - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana

35 vote(s)
    64.8%
  12. May 24th - The Hangover III - Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

If any of you live in the LA area, WonderCon is coming up in a few weeks time. They are supposed to have a panel and preview of Mortal Instruments with Lily Collins and Jamie Campbell Brower and Cassandra Clare (yes, it's Cassandra Claire who wrote the Very Secret Diaries of LOTR fanfic). They are also having a preview of an evil dead remake. Tickets are only $40 for the whole weekend and its a lot less crazy than San Diego Comic Con.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Oh poop... I wish I could go but alas I am in TO. :(

3. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Ok, so I saw "Trance," and it was crazytown.

Definitely NOT a movie for kids (tons of full frontal, violence, etc). Great visuals as always with Danny Boyle but a mindf--k plot.

Interviewing him this weekend and will try to get insights into it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  4. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Saw two movies on Thursday:

No, the Chilean Oscar nominee for best foreign film. It's an interesting story that got overwhelmed by way too much fictionalizing of the true facts and the pacing in deadly. The ending is so anti-climactic and the whole thing should have been tightened up. Wanted to like it but just couldn't.

The Gatekeepers: the 6 living former heads of Shin Bet agreed to be interviewed for this documentary. Highly recommended; I found it disturbing, tough to watch, highly informative and all-around great. The Israeli friend who saw it with me thought the subtitles did a good job of translating the Hebrew.

Tomorrow I have plans to final catch up with Amour.

5. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I watched I'm Still Here (Jaoquin Phoenix). Then I had to watch some of it again with the commentary playing. I don't get it. :shuffle: All I can guess is it's a vanity project/performance art piece by a couple of douchebags who think a lot of themselves. If anyone can explain the purpose of this movie to me, please do so... :confused:

When I first start a new thread, I go with the major releases listed at wikipedia. Anything that's not included from there that I get from two other websites I just lump into the "smaller" or independent category. Sometimes a "bigger" movie gets missed from that first list, which was the case for the last Brad Pitt movie, although that didn't seem to go anywhere. I can't even remember the name of it, but maybe that's because it looked too violent for my tastes. As for "Upside Down" it might not have made it to wikipedia because it doesn't have a major studio behind it or because neither Jim Sturgess or Kirsten Dunst are big names at this time in their careers.

I found a direct link for this movie at youtube. It looks good, but I'm wondering about it being a History Channel production... Hmm. Plus I've been watching a lot of holocaust stuff over the last few years and think I need to take a break from that subject. Of course I won't as soon as something comes across my path, though... :lol:

Pam Grier should be in every movie. :respec:

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

8. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

We have hit the jackpot this week. I can't remember the last time so many good smaller movies were being released. I'll make some comments after the list:

The Sapphires (Biographical musical comedy drama with a new cast. From imdb.com: “It's 1968, and four young, talented Australian Aboriginal girls learn about love, friendship and war when their all girl group The Sapphires entertain the US troops in Vietnam.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ljho1cyEfg

Dorfman in Love (Comedy with Sara Rue and Elliott Gould)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0gBm1HaDWc

Hunky Dory (Musical drama with Minnie Driver)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VxhrtMJCs

Come Out and Play (Horror with a new cast)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCigbK1I0y0

Eden (Drama with a new cast and Beau Bridges)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTDkuwS5axU

Gimme the Loot (Crime drama with a new cast. From imdb.com: “When their latest work is buffed by a rival crew, two determined graffiti writers embark on an elaborate plan to bomb the ultimate location: the New York Mets' Home Run Apple.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyBGkojSUvE

Everybody Has A Plan (Spanish language crime drama with Viggo Mortensen)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8RZUFrLzqU

InAPPropiate Comedy (Comedy with Rob Schneider, Michelle Rodriguez, Adrien Brody and Lindsay Lohan)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jNE_oIA08w

The Sapphires looks BRILLIANT. It's already made 10 million overseas, probably all in Australia where the film originates. And I'm guessing that kind of box office for Australia is BIG. The movie is being released in the U.S. by the Weinstein company, which is another good sign. Can't wait to see it! :cheer2:

Dorfman In Love looks very sweet, I think Sara Rue is a brilliant comic actress. Hunky Dory actually came out in 2012 in numerous other countries, I'm guessing it's getting a small release in the US now. I wasn't going to add it to this list because imdb.com doesn't confirm a US release this week, but the trailer is so good that I did not delete it so you could all see it along with me. :D

Come Out And Play looks interesting, I've been waiting for a new horror film to come out. It could be uber-creepy, so I'm in! Eden looks like it's a good movie, but could be depressing. I'm going to assume that the good guys win in the end, so because of this assumption, I'm adding it to my To See list. Gimme The Loot actually looks like a romantic comedy drama, but imdb.com lists it as a crime drama so I kept it at that. It looks like it could be good, but I didn't quite warm to the cast. Everybody Has A Plan might be good (it does have Viggo after all), but it kind of has a been there, seen that kind of feel. And InAPPropiate Comedy might be good, but I'm betting it's just going to be stupid. Poor Adrien Brody... :drama:

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

P.S. Let me know if you didn't laugh out loud at least one time during the trailer for the Sapphires. :rofl:

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The Saphires look really cool and I hope to watch it but Come Out And Play looks too creepy for me. :yikes:

11. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Just finished watching Morning Glory (Rachel McAdams, Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton and Patrick Wilson). I was pleasantly surprised! Just the right amount of comedy, bite and romance. Good script and wonderful performances. I'm ready for Rachel McAdams to make a comeback on the big screen. :40beers:

Check back with us once you get things set up. I know very little about BluRay and for some reason I just see it solely as a cash-grab by the entertainment industry. Says the guy who watches his movie on TV that is more than one foot deep... (flat screen what??) :lol:

I actually thought Mary-Kate was great in Beastly. She definitely has talent as an actress, but doesn't seem to be interested in being in front of the camera much. As for Liberal Arts, that one didn't make it onto my To See list. I have to admit the main draw to it was that I'm finding Josh Radnor becoming more attractive with each project he does... :shuffle:

I always like to check out what other people review in this thread. So I found a trailer for this movie at youtube. The trailer looks kind of boring.... I am going to housesit for some people soon and they have netflix online subscription, so maybe I'll check this one out if I can find it there.

12. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Some recent viewings:

Welcome (2009, France). From imdb.com: "Bilal is 17 years old, a Kurdish boy from Iraq. He sets off on an adventure-filled journey across Europe. He wants to get to England to see his love who lives there. Bilal finally reaches Calais, but how do you cover 32 kilometers of the English Channel when you can't swim?"

I give this one a 100% thumbs up. Thoroughly engaging and tells us a story unlike one I've ever seen before. Great performances with characters you wish you had in your life.

Gone (Amanda Seyfried). This is one of those movies that I've wanted to see ever since it came out, so my expectations have increased with the wait. Usually these means I'm let done, but that did not happen. I really like this. Unfortunately, this movie is taking quite the beating at the imdb.com message boards. But I liked the pacing, the script, the performers and there were enough plot twists that I didn't see coming which makes me confidently say, "two thumbs up"!! :lol:

End of Watch (Jake Gyllenhaal). Okay, I wasn't expecting to like this one. Looked like it could be a "celebration of violence" movie which I can't handle. It wasn't even on my To See list, but I found it on the shelf at the library and decided to give it a shot. It surprised me, another one I'm recommending. I liked the performances of everybody in it, including Michael Pena, Anna Kendrick. I think I'm starting to become an Anna Kendrick uber. :D And pay attention or it might not click that yes, that IS America Ferrera.

You saw this one, Buzz? It's definitely on my list. :)

14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yep! It is on Netflix somewhere. A truly bizarre and sad case.

15. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I don't think Rachel McAdams ever really left the big screen. She's just been getting more supporting roles in big movies, such as Midnight in Paris or Sherlock Holmes, or doing smaller movies. She had a couple of box office duds, I think including Morning Glory, so I think that affected a lot of the parts she's been getting.

I love Anna Kendrick and I do think End of Watch looks interesting even though I understand she isn't in it a lot. I just have so many movies I need to see and End of Watch isn't super high on my list of priorities at the moment.

Is anyone going to see Admission? I would like to see it but I think the next one on my list is The Incredible Burt Wonderstone. I managed to win free movies for a year to the theatre in town that is showing it, so I figured I would check it out. Admission is unfortunately showing at the Cineplex and they never do contests like that.

16. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Is Amadeus worth watching? I recently saw Topsy Turvy and it was a struggle to get through. I thought the staged selections of The Mikado were better than the movie itself. I ended up watching most of the movie at double-time with the subtitles on. I just felt it was one that I "should" see. Now I'm going through my To See list and Amadeus sounds like it might be the same for me. Just watched the youtube trailer and I'm feeling kind of :blah: about it. I know Amadeus won some Academy Awards, but will it be one I struggle through like Topsy Turvy?

I want to see both, but I'll probably wait to get them for free from the library. :D

17. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

I remain continually jealous of your library system. Why can't mine be cool like yours is? And I would wait until Burt Wonderstone hit Netflix or something normally. I just scored with the year long pass so I figured I should use it for as many movies as I can.

18. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Amadeus actually won eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, and Best Actor. I haven't seen Topsy Turvy, but Amadeus is, IMO, one of the greatest films ever made. Abraham and Hulce are amazing in it, and it's wonderful hilarious and dramatic in turns. For a fairly long movie I watch it pretty frequently. Mozart is possibly the greatest musician in history, and watching his crazy, fcuked-up life is endlessly fascinating, even with the dramatic license taken. And even though it's not true, the writing of Salieri and his jealously is amazing. Maybe you won't like it, but it's definitely a movie I would recommend to everyone to watch at least once.

19. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I loved both movies, but I think Amadeus has more universal appeal than Topsy Turvy. Topsy Turvy is not a standard biopic, it's very, very Mike Leigh. Aside from being a Gilbert & Sullivan über, I also happen to love his style, how he shows the darker underside to the everyday (or, in this case, the less than everyday). But I readily acknowledge he's not for everyone.

Amadeus, oth, is pretty hard to find fault with. It's amazing on so many levels, from the writing to the acting to the visuals (tho the latter may be just a tad faded now). I can't imagine anyone struggling with it.

20. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Is the Pope Catholic?

In other words...YES!!!!!!! One of my very favorite-est movies EVAH!
    The music...the costumes...the fine acting...the storyline...the quotable quotes:

"Funny little tune, but it yielded good things."
    "That was God laughing at me through that obscene giggle"
    "The Italians -- always the Italians!"
    "I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint."
    "Too many notes."
    I could go on. :)

21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I must admit that I had not expected Amadeus to clean out the major Oscars that year. I was rooting for 'A passage to India' because I had seen that movie, and I had not seen 'Amadeus'. After the Oscars I did see Amadeus and had to admit that it was a really good movie and probably deserved all those awards.

22. michiruwater

"And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect."
    "Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?"

Salieri: You know you didn't even give them a good *bang* at the end of songs, to let them know when to clap?
    Mozart, totally genuinely: I know, I know... maybe you should give me some lessons in that.
    Salieri: :mad:

23. michiruwater

I wasn't born yet :shuffle: So I have no opinion except that Amadeus is wonderful. I haven't seen A Passage to India, actually.

24. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

:lol:

25. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

M. Night Shyamalan has raised the possibility of a sequel to The Last Airbender. I liked this movie and hope he does make a part 2 soon.

26. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Okay...it's a YES then for Amadeus! :lol: It's one of those movies that I think I've seen already, but can't remember. And it seems like the kind of movie one SHOULD see. I had forgotten it won so many Oscars!! :lol: What's interesting is that when I checked my local library, I saw that they have two copies and twelve holds. One copy has a MISSING status and the other has a BILLED status. I'll have to let them know they need to order more copies.

I just finished watching Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I LOVED IT!!! :cheer2: I seem to remember it not being appreciated, so I thought maybe it wouldn't be very good. According to the-numbers.com, it barely made back it's budget, and probably lost money with advertising costs. So I was surprised to enjoy it so much. Definitely a box of Kleenex kind of movie. I loved all the performances and think that Thomas Horn in the lead role was a defininte catch. He didn't seem to get any recognition from any awards show/critic's associations. Makes me more interested in seeing Beasts of the Southern Wild to see how Quvenzhané Wallis compares. But boy, is young Thomas taking a beating at the imdb message boards. Sometimes the people there are horrendous. :blah:

I do have a good library system. It is very large (20+ branches) and it covers HUNDREDS of miles in it's area. But I do live within one hour of TEN other library systems. Earlier this year, I looked through my list of items that I could only find at some of these other library system and basically made a day of driving around to them to pick up a whole bunch of various things I had wanted for a year or two. Luckily I don't have to do that very often as I often pick up stuff when I'm at a random event in one of those cities. :)

27. michiruwater

They'd let him make a sequel after the first one bombed and was universally considered to be the worst movie of that year?... That would shock me.

28. Vash01

I saw 'The call' today. It was a crime thriller- not my favorite genre, but three fourth of the way it was interesting.

SPOILERS ahead..........................

SPOILERS ahead..........................

It really got off track when the main character drove to rescue the kidnapped girl, and it went downhill from there. It got more gruesome, and the end line which was supposed to be funny did not sound all that funny to me. I would have preferred to see the police do their job much faster, so I would not have had to sit through this.

29. Vash01

Saw only the last 15 minutes of 'Dial M for Murder' on TV after I got home. Grace Kelly seems like a phenomenal actress, and so beautiful too. I hope to see the whole movie one of these days. When compared with today's movies, the lack of violence made the movie more interesting to me. I hope to see more Hitchcock movies, once I am back on Netflix. I have seen only 'Psycho' and 'Birds', 'Vertigo', and I don't remember anything from them, except for some scenes from Psycho (I think they have been shown on TV over and over).

30. michiruwater

Read Window is amazing, and Ms. Kelly's in that one as well. I'd check that one out, Vash.

Do you know how to use actual spoiler tags?...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.