Let's Talk Movies! #22 : Steve Jobs, Some Trekkies, An Ozzy...and IRON MAN!!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Feb 26, 2013.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. Oz the Great and Powerful - Fantasy - James Franco, Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Incredible Burt Wonderstone - Comedy - Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, Steve Buscemi, Steve Carell

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  3. March 15th - The Call - Thriller - Abigail Breslin, Halle Berry and Morris Chestnut

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. March 22nd - Admission - Comedy - Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Michael Sheen and Lily Tomlin

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. April 12th - Oblivion - Action, Sci-Fi - Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman and Melissa Leo

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. April 12th - Scary Movie 5 - Comedy, Horror - Ashley Tisdale, Lindsay Lohan, Charlie Sheen

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. April 19th - jOBS - Drama - Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, James Woods, Matthew Modine

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. April 26th - Pain & Gain – Action - Rebel Wilson, Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Ken Jeong

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  9. May 3rd - Iron Man 3 - Action, Sci-Fi - Robert Downey, Jr., Ben Kingsley, Don Cheadle

25 vote(s)
    46.3%
  10. Great Gatsby - Drama, Romance - Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher

26 vote(s)
    48.1%
  11. Star Trek Into Darkness - Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi - Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana

35 vote(s)
    64.8%
  12. May 24th - The Hangover III - Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I don't mind looking at Ewan McGregor for a few hours, but listening to him "sing"? Such a nasally, whiney voice. No thank you.

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Um ... That's an interesting take on Ewan's voice, lol. I can listen to his version of 'Your Song' and 'Come What May' all day :)

3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

His voice isn't perfect, but I still like it. And at least he had some power in it. I adore the movie, but at the end when Kidman is supposed to be singing live from a stage even at 11 I was like, the first row wouldn't even hear her.

Jim Broadbent kicks ass, though.

4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I saw 'Oz the great and powerful' in 3D today. It was quite entertaining and I liked the idea of creating a prequel to The Wizard of Oz. It fit that story perfectly. I was not impressed with James Franco (may be because I have seen him do so well in very challenging roles). Michelle Williams, Rachel Weisz and Mila Kunis as the three witches were good. The visuals were nice and not overdone like some CGI movies are. The china doll was cute. Overall a nice way to spend a couple of hours and forget that the rest of the world exists. :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Sorry Ryan Gosling fans, my screening to "The Place Beyond The Pines" was cancelled.

Up next week is Danny Boyle's "Trance," and if anyone REALLY wants, "The Adventures of Burt Wonderstone." Anyone, LOL?

Loved the animated supporting cast in "Oz," too.

6. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

...I kinda want to see The Adventures of Burt Wonderstone. :shuffle:

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but thanks to Mr. Jerry Bruckheimer we will be getting sequels to; Top Gun, National Treasure, Bad Boys, and not one TWO Pirates of the Caribbean movies. :lol:

8. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Not bad news for me; I don't think I have seen any of the originals you mentioned (exception might be for some cut up version of National Treasure shown on TV) so I won't be needing to spend $$$ on the sequels.

9. Vash01

I hate sequels, but you are only a messenger. No problem. :)

10. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

*siiiiigh*

Why can't films just be films these days, why does everything have to be a "franchise starter"? :blah:

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Not sure if this film has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but last night I saw the documentary Sound City, directed by Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) about the famous recording studio of the same name. It is excellent. The first part tells the story of the studio, and in the second part Grohl buys the studio's mixing board, sets up his own studio, and invites musicians who recorded at Sound City to come and play with him.

You have to love a film that's big hearted enough to include Rick Springfield, Lee Ving from the punk band Fear, Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails, Paul McCartney, and Stevie Nicks. And every single one of them :kickass:

I saw the film on video-on-demand, but I believe you can also pay to watch it online at the film's website (soundcity.com).

12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Because :bribe:, that's why.

13. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Because no one has had an original idea in Hollywood for 30 years.

14. michiruwater

There are plenty of movies released every year that are not part of franchises. Plus, just because a movie is a member of a franchise doesn't mean it sucks. Skyfall, the HP series, THG are all recent examples.

The Twilight series notwithstanding :shuffle:

And what exactly constitutes an original idea these days? I hear that a lot. Obviously, every film can't be original, but there are plenty of well-made, good films every year, and every once in a while there is one that stands out as original. Last year I thought both The Artist and, in particular, Tree of Life qualified. Avatar had a hugely derivative script, but as a whole I would definitely say it was original. Movies have been around for a while now - can anything at this point have quite the effect of Star Wars or Citizen Kane?

15. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Okay, I need feedback on the second trailer listed here for the smaller movies opening this week (Upside Down). Only the first trailer is going on my To See list, but I'm wondering if Upside Down should be as well. To me it looks to be a very beautiful film...with a wonderful premise...but a stupid story. What do you think, interested? As for the rest of the trailers, the last two look AWFUL. :blah:

Ginger & Rosa (Drama with Elle Fanning, Annette Bening, Christina Hendricks, Oliver Platt and Alessandro Nivola)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teNx6pbN-_c

Upside Down (Dramatic fantasy romance with Kirsten Dunst, Jim Sturgess and Timothy Spall)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPdlrOP22NM

If I Were You (Comedy drama with Marcia Gay Harden and Aidan Quinn)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxJflyxYsNM

The Kitchen (Comedy with Bryan Greenberg, Laura Prepon and Dreama Walker)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49yUBfaCT_U

Reincarnated (Documentary. From imdb.com: “Hip Hop artist Snoop Dogg changes his name to Snoop Lion, travels to Jamaica, emerges himself in Rastafarian culture and produces his first reggae record.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tse40JPyyU8

K-11 (Drama with Goran Visnjic, D. B. Sweeney and Jason Mewes)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBQlXOCHl8Q

My Amityville Horror (Documentary. From imdb.com: “For the first time in 35 years, Daniel Lutz recounts his version of the infamous Amityville haunting that terrified his family in 1975.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5WOHxGw2VU

16. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

At first I thought, "romance... not my cup of tea..." and then I watch the trailer... OMG! Why is this a smaller movie? It is visually beautiful and the concept is interesting :) Thanks Peter, I'm going to try and catch this one :)

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

There is a documentary about WW2 opening on April 5th and I hope it comes to a cinema near me. It is called "No Place on Earth" and is about a group of Jewish Ukrainians who hid in a cave for 18 months to escape the Nazis.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=_hNOso-UFCI&desktop_uri=/watch?v=_hNOso-UFCI

P.S.
    Upside Down = Not my cup of tea. Silly twist to the Romeo & Juliet tale.

18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

The teaser trailer for Sofia Coppola's latest film, The Bling Ring, was released a few days ago. It stars Emma Watson and a bunch of newcomers playing the real life Bling Ring, a group of teenagers who burglarized a few celebrity homes (including Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Orlando Bloom, and Rachel Bilson).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLVQIFrmHX8

Coppola shows off her ability to use music effectively yet again. I think the teaser is pretty effective.

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I finally saw Inglorious Basterds and hated it, like I do most things Tarantino. The only Tarantino film I remotely liked was Jackie Brown, and that was because of Pam Grier.

20. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I saw Oz this weekend (IMAX 3D) and I really enjoyed it. The visuals were great (as to be expected) but I was surprised that I really liked this explanation of how the wizard came to be in Oz and of how the Wicked Witch of the West ended up being so wicked...I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it but I thought it was an interesting twist. I enjoyed all three witches and thought they played their parts well. Even though Franco looked a bit high at times, he played his role well too. I loved the China doll and Finley the monkey...and Nook was funny too!

Rumor is this is supposed to be the first in a franchise which leads me to wonder if they are planning on introducing Dorothy to the mix. I'm guessing there is more to explore in terms of the witches and their relationships but can you make a whole movie out of that? IDK, but I guess we'll see...

Overall, I really enjoyed it and would recommend it. I'm not one who sees something in 3D just b/c it's in 3D but I feel like this movie (like Avatar) should be seen in 3D. There are some good bits of 3D (stuff coming off the screen at you) integrated throughout but it's not excessive or pointless. It's worth the extra $3 or $4...and if you can see it in IMAX, I'd recommend that as well...especially when Oz is coming into the land: you feel like you're free-falling! Very cool...

21. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

As much as I hate Jim Carrey, the ads for "The Adventures of Burt Wonderstone" almost make me want to see it.

Never thought I would be interested, but "Emperor" is appealing because I really like Tommy Lee Jones

22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I just finished Marthy Marcy May Marlene. Very understated movie with a power that comes from that subtlety. Very well written and performed. John Hawkes was his usual great self in this small but impactful role. And Sarah Paulson is great as the sister in her tense (terse) middle-class rigidity. And Elizabeth Olsen is wonderful...I think we might see her acheive the level of success that Jennifer Lawrence now has. I think Olsen might even be a better actress than Lawrence, more subtle and intense. And this is coming from a big Jennifer Lawrence fan. Olsen will be in a movie in October (Kill Your Darlings) which is about Allen Ginsberg, Jack Kerouac and William Burroughs and stars Michael C. Hall, Daniel Radcliffe and Ben Foster. After that, a thriller (Therese Raquin) with Tom Felton and Jessica Lange. Then an action drama remake of the excellent Korean movie Oldboy with Samuel L. Jackson and Josh Brolin. And lastly, Godzilla (seriously) with Bryan Cranston and Juliette Binoche based on a screenplay by Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Walking Dead). Looks like an interesting couple of years ahead for Mary-Kate and Ashley's kid sister. :)

That one looks so funny! Steve Carell is known to lose character and not being able to hold back his laughter, so the outtakes for this one are going to be killer!!

You know, before watching the trailer for "The Girl", I'm not sure I knew her. So I checked out imdb.com and here's some of her movies: Seven Psychopaths, W.E. (Madonna as director, just got this one from the library), Limitless (with Bradley Cooper), Stop-Loss (with Ryan Phillippe), Elizabeth: The Golden Age, A Good Year (with Russell Crowe) and Candy (with Heath Ledger). So is it good or bad that I've seen most of these movies...but don't remember her. I'm going with good, because I liked these movies - if I don't remember her, maybe that means she disappeared so well into the role that I remember a quality movie rather than her specific role. Hmm... :lol:

Ewan made me happy to hear "Your Song" again...after it had been done to death on all the singing competiton TV shows. I'd like to hear him sing more. :)

23. Vash01

This thread inspires me to get my BluRay player up and running. Things have been so hectic lately that it is very low on my priority list until April 2nd week.

24. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

MMMM was an intensely good movie, so creepy and subtle -- it stayed with me for a long time after.

I agree about Olsen, she's definitely one to watch. I saw her in another movie recently, Liberal Arts. The movie was only mildly good (I'd probably give it about a 6.5 or 7), but Olsen's performance was definitely a highlight. Aside from the fact that she obviously has far more talent than her infamous sisters combined, I'm assuming she's also been able to learn some what-not-to-do showbiz lessons from them!

25. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Over the past couple of weeks I've managed to watch 5 very different "coming of age" movies. I liked them all to varying degrees, but in order of preference (least to most):

Kati with an I -- a documentary filmmaker decides to follow his younger sister around with a camera for the few days before her high school graduation. Lots of everyday verité stuff, plus a couple of unexpected twists. The Heisenberg principle is very much on display here -- all the subjects definitely show signs of being watched. Probably more of a draw for folks who like "real life" tv & film (not me!), but the title Kati is still interesting enough to watch, particularly when juxtaposed with footage of her younger self.

Neds -- Smart kid in unbelievably difficult circumstances gets caught up in the seemingly inevitable delinquent lifestyle of his working class neighbourhood. ("Neds" is a colloquial term for "Non-Educated Delinquents.") I picked this one up just because I love Peter Mullan. He's behind the camera here, with only a small (but incredibly effective and heartbreakingly brutal) onscreen role. (Note: I'm very good with Scottish accents but even I had turn on the subtitles for the cut-it-with-a-knife Glaswegian dialect.)

This Is England -- Set against the backdrop of the Thatcher era (specifically the Falklands war), a young boy finds acceptance and belonging in a fledgling National Front gang. A terrifyingly common story of how appealing a "gang" can be for the disenfranchised (see previous movie). But there's a real heart to this one.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower -- I have only the vaguest recollection of the book, but I think this was probably a pretty good adaptation. On its own, it definitely works as a unique-but-familiar piece of storytelling. I'll admit that the main reason I picked it up was because of Emma Watson, but I found the whole cast very effective.

The Wise Kids -- I was very pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable and affecting this film was. It's understated and simple, but very eloquently illustrates 3 teenagers' explorations of faith, sexuality, and identity. It doesn't argue or preach, it just is. The three lead characters are all well acted, but Allison Torem was a particular standout (in probably the most difficult role). A real sleeper gem.

26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Saw a documentary on Netflix recently by film maker Warner Herzog titled "Happy People: A year in the Taiga". A cameraman followed the inhabitants of a rural Russian village who mostly hunt for a living and is almost cut off from the rest of their country. A very interesting and poignant documentary about what it really is like to "live of the land".

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/happy_people_a_year_in_the_taiga/?nopopup=true

27. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

If this has been discussed and I missed it I apologize but has anyone seen this Sean Penn film: http://youtu.be/kplFGDHuYy4 ? He looks ok as a goth.

28. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

I saw Sound City and i loved it too. It might seem like an odd thing to make a film that is a love letter to a piece of a equipment, but Dave did an awesome job of it. :lol:

29. michiruwater

Is this on Netflix instant? If so, I know what I am watching this weekend!

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I believe it is and you should also check out The Imposter. A documentary about a con man who pretended to be a missing 13 year old boy 3 years after he disappeared, despite the fact he looked nothing like the missing child. The con man was even accepted by the missing child's family.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_imposter_2012/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.