Let's Talk Movies! #21...Oscar Bait, Christmas Movies, "Bad" Movies You Loved......)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 26, 2012.

?

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. December 7 – Deadfall (Crime drama with Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde)

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. December 14 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Fantasy with Ian McKellen...)

46 vote(s)
    58.2%
  3. December 19 - The Guilt Trip (Comedy with Barbra Streisand, Seth Rogen, Adam Scott and Colin Hanks)

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. December 19 - Monsters, Inc. 3D (Animated with John Goodman, Billy Crystal, etc.)

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. December 19 - Zero Dark Thirty (Action with Chris Pratt, Joel Edgerton, Jessica Chastain, etc.)

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  6. December 21 - This Is 40 (Comedy with Paul Rudd, Melissa McCarthy and John Lithgow)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  7. December 21 - The Impossible (Action with Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor)

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  8. December 25 - Django Unchained (Western with Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz)

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  9. December 25 - Les Misérables (Musical with Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway)

62 vote(s)
    78.5%
  10. December 28 - Promised Land (Drama with Matt Damon, John Krasinski and Frances McDormand)

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  11. February 8 - Identity Thief (Comedy with Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy and Jon Favreau)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  12. February 14 - A Good Day to Die Hard (Action with Bruce Willis and Cole Hauser)

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Tarantino fan, but I see that his style is not for everyone. I agree that he should branch out more, but I do think he has produced a lot of fine work and has created some of the most memorable screen dialogue of the past several years. A lot of directors have a specific style though that can sometimes make their work seem repetitive. I think he has earned his place among the top directors today which is way more than I can say about a hack like Tom Hooper.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

For those who have seen Django unchained-

Is there a lot of blood and guts shown in the movie? I won't ask if it has a lot of violence, because I cannot imagine Tarrantino's movie without it. The only question I am trying to answer is- can I handle it or will I be sitting there with my eyes closed or covered half the time?:lol:

3. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

I LOOOVED Django. The way I feel about a Tarantino film is that it is for me an example of film making that completely takes the viewer to into an imaginative otherworld for the entirety of the story's duration. His movies are exuberant, nasty, emotional, funny, and are all clearly made by a team and a leader who LOVES, geeked out LOVES "the movies". Like Inglorious Basterds, one of my favourite aspects of Django is the revisionist history - he's telling a tale yall. There is a love for storytelling at the core - SPOILER - like that particular scene within the movie where Waltz' character does a simple retelling of a fable with nothing more than a stone boulder backdrop and his campfire lit face, and an engrossed audience in Django (and us). Old school love of storytelling right there.

Christoph Waltz is unbelievably magnetic. And sexy as hell. Holy god.

A couple of minor qualms but in terms of the major critical grievance with regards to pacing, I don't know what those reviewers are talking about. Though some scenes were, let's say, paused moments in plot, the tension was INSANE and I internally filled the holes in, so to speak, by experiencing all these intense emotions during those quieter moments. As entertainment, this movie is fierce. And it's just great to see a piece of work that marches to its own beat, has a clear point of view, and takes you on an imaginative storytelling adventure.

4. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

So I loved it, clearly, but there was about a good quarter of the film where I only saw about a fifth of the screen, the rest obscured by my scarf. It's intensely violent, but in a campy, too-much-gushing sort of way. Though the particular scenes that were one to one in brutality I couldn't watch at all, and it wasn't because of the visual of the blood and guts necessarily but the context and method with which the violence was enacted.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

True statement. That man has more magnetic charisma in his pinky finger than most actors have in their entire bodies.

6. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the description. :) It sounds like I better avoid it, even though I like the actors in it.

7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Christoph Waltz is old enough to be my father (he's older than my mother, for one), but he's one of the few older men I would still do regardless. :grope:

8. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Also a true statement.

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

If you have to ask, chances are pretty good that you are better off avoiding this movie. I saw it despite my own reservations and regret it, but then again I've never been much of a Tarantino fan. You'll probably love this movie however if you are Tarantino fan.

10. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It's also a pretty brutal depiction of slavery as well. I don't mind the cartoony, over-the-top violence because then I just think it's fake and done for effect. But when it gets to the more realistic violence that I can actually imagine happening in real life...that's where I get squeamish.

It's funny, we have to Oscar contenders that touch upon slavery (Lincoln and Django) but do so in totally different ways.

11. jenny12

One thing I admire about Django Unchained is that it discusses slavery from a black perspective which is actually quite rare for Hollywood.

12. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Snow White and the Huntsman 2: The Bathing? :p

Have you seen Jackie Brown? I looooved that movie. Resevoir Dogs was good, too. My problem with Tarantino is that so many of his movies revolve around violence, and he fetishes the violence almost as if's an aphrodisiac, which really unsettles me!!! :eek: He's talented, but in reference to the thought about how much he looooves movies, I had to wonder which he truly loves more: movies...or violence?

Hmm...not having seen the movie, I'm wondering if that is something you should not say if Spike Lee is in the room!! :lol:

13. jenny12

Spike Lee hasn't seen the movie either so I don't know how much I'd count his opinion. Many directors use violence, but Tarentino does so stylistically IMO and it has a purpose in the storyline which separates it from other film portrayals of violence. There are several great directors (Scorcese, the Coen Brothers) who use violence but with a purpose as well.

14. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I saw Life of Pi today. I wanted to catch the 3-D version while it was still playing on the big screen. Visually it was an amazing film. The animation and 3-D were superb. I didn't really understand what the story was trying to say about God, but I enjoyed watching this film.

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Gangster Squad will be released on January 11th. It was pulled from it's original release date because of the Aurora shooting. But now that the offending scene has been replaced it is once again scheduled to be released and I can't wait. :cheer2: Here is a rather nice article about the movie. Unfortunately the release date will put it against Zero Dark Thirty which has a lot of Oscar buzz around it.

http://m.philstar.com/314190/show/e2e508c34bed9fc1b40f6364587f7d96/?

16. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I lived in Philly while attending Temple U but I didn't catch which neighborhood in Philly it was. Do tell ...

17. Nell411

Nell411 Afterlife

I just saw The Hobbit, somewhere in there was a truely fantastic movie, but it got lost in Peter Jackson's blatant cash grab. They could have cut half an hour out of there and it would have been so much better.

18. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Initially I had been excited about seeing The Hobbit, but when I saw it's going to be a trilogy, I lost all interest in seeing the movie.

19. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am not a Tarantino fan at all.

20. VIETgrlTerifa

Hopefully, I'll enjoy Lincoln. I sort of loathe Spielberg's films. Especially ones where he tries to be profound or artistic like in Munich because it just shows off his lack of real depth for me.

21. olympic

I generally get turned off by films that rewrite history. So, when I saw Inglorious Basterds, I was less of a fan because being a WW2 history buff and having read just about every book on the war, I knew that attempts to assassinate Hitler were virtually impossible. Hitler later in the war was very rarely seen in public. That ruined the film for me.

But, I saw Django Unchained this past weekend and despite the length of 2:45, it kept me riveted. Yes, it was full of 'cartoonish violence' but I realize that that is Tarantino's style and the rewriting of history was more acceptable to me for some reason, IDK. Maybe because I know less about the history of slavery than I do about WW2 or that attempts on the lives of overseers / planters were more plausible.

22. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

If you loathe Spielberg's films, chances are you will hate this one too. I loved it.

23. VIETgrlTerifa

There's a theory about Tarantino's films all existing in the same universe. There are two types of Tarantino films, ones that exist in "real life" and ones that the characters in his films would actually see in a movie theatre (like Kill Bill). The reason why all of his characters are so into movies and movie trivia is because their World War II ended in a movie theatre where Hitler and a bunch of Nazis and Nazi enthusiasts were all shot up in a movie theatre massacre then subsequently blown up. Because of that, movies play such a pivotal role in the course of 20th century history in Tarantino's world, and that is why Kill Bill is ultra violent because Kill Bill was a movie that say John Travolta's character in Pulp Fiction would watch and their world is already so violent (thanks to the way World War II ended in Tarantino's reality) that a movie made in that world would have to be super violent to try to shock any of the characters that would watch a movie in that world.

24. olympic

Thanks, but WOW, that takes some re-reading

25. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Saw "Argo" last night finally and loved it! Nailbiting stuff despite knowing how it all ends. :eek: :watch:

The only thing that felt slightly off was the OTT cliched "everybody celebrating in triumphalist way when mission is accomplished". :p

26. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I finally saw it yesterday too! (It had been sold out twice previously when I tried to see it, but this is Washington. I think everyone here either sees the movie or gets deported....)

Loved the film. Loved the 1979 vibe -- gee, if no-one is around to answer the landline, it doesn't get answered! Loved the acting. My only problem was the slightly too-thrillerish race between the militants and the SwissAir flight, but it was obviously for dramatic effect.

Much better than Les Miz as Oscar bait.

27. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

It's a movie. They had to dramatize it. I had no problem with it. Excellent movie.

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

29. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Took my younger nieces to "Wreck-It Ralph" and saw the previews for "Oz." Now that is one movie I want to see and soon.

30. olympic

Did you see the circa 1980 McDonald's bag next to Ben Affleck while he was in bed?? Just the golden arches on a white bag. I love seeing the attention to detail like that in quality movies / TV!