Let's Talk Movies! #21...Oscar Bait, Christmas Movies, "Bad" Movies You Loved......)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 26, 2012.

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. December 7 – Deadfall (Crime drama with Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde)

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. December 14 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Fantasy with Ian McKellen...)

46 vote(s)
    58.2%
  3. December 19 - The Guilt Trip (Comedy with Barbra Streisand, Seth Rogen, Adam Scott and Colin Hanks)

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. December 19 - Monsters, Inc. 3D (Animated with John Goodman, Billy Crystal, etc.)

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. December 19 - Zero Dark Thirty (Action with Chris Pratt, Joel Edgerton, Jessica Chastain, etc.)

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  6. December 21 - This Is 40 (Comedy with Paul Rudd, Melissa McCarthy and John Lithgow)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  7. December 21 - The Impossible (Action with Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor)

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  8. December 25 - Django Unchained (Western with Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz)

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  9. December 25 - Les Misérables (Musical with Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway)

62 vote(s)
    78.5%
  10. December 28 - Promised Land (Drama with Matt Damon, John Krasinski and Frances McDormand)

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  11. February 8 - Identity Thief (Comedy with Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy and Jon Favreau)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  12. February 14 - A Good Day to Die Hard (Action with Bruce Willis and Cole Hauser)

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I didn't think it would outside of technical nods; it's an action film that doesn't have the cred of movies along the likes of Batman. If the first two do well, though, I don't see why it can't repeat some of the success of the LorR movies later on.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I screened "The Hobbit" earlier this week.

Richard Armitage was definitely the best actor, and his character is the only one with any development.

I didn't like the 48fps during the dialogue scenes, particularly the first 20-30 minutes. It resembled a soap opera.

There were moments of action and humor, but it didn't feel epic. And when you get to the end and see how far of a journey they've made after three hours, you're not excited to see the next film.

I gave it an average rating but my coworker was really disappointed.

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I saw Argo last week and then read the book. Of course, the book is nothing like the movie in terms of what happened and how dramatic it was (not!) but still, the movie was well-made.

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Took my dad to see Flight tonight -- as a former pilot, he was really interested in the subject matter. Turned out to be excellent and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. I was really surprised, because IIRC, a lot of the critics trashed it. It's kind of a pity they put in so much nudity and language that it had to be rated R -- I think if they had gone for a PG-13 instead, they might have gotten a wider audience.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

:confused: Well, that's kind of silly.

7. VIETgrlTerifa

I agree, but those are the rules.

The Academy likes the idea that the song will promote the story or theme of the actual content of the film. They're not just awarding a great original song on a movie's soundtrack, but giving out a film award. I guess their rationale is that the last scene of a movie transitions into the first song cue which still serves in continuing the mood of the film one just watched. By the time, there's a second song cue (say 4 minutes later), you're way into the end credits and far enough away from the film that the second song won't further the purpose of the storytelling.

8. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

9. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I have not been happy with a lot of aspects to do with Best Original Song for a while now. First, Randy Newman's annual nominations. I rarely like anything he has done. However, I love "When She Loved Me" from Toy Story 2. (Gratefully, the vocal is by Sarah McLachlan and not Randy Newman who wrote the song.)

Secondly, nominated songs that are not very good while others are overlooked. The article linked above mentions how few Bond theme songs have been nominated, which is just wrong. I listened to a teensy bit of "Suddenly" from Les Miserables and I'm wondering if it's going to be one of those bland, undeserving nominees.

Third, the recent trend to not nominate five songs in the category. So many potential nominees mentioned in the article linked above! These two from that list are award-worthy as far as I'm concerned:

For You from Actor Of Valor (Keith Urban)

From Here to the Moon and Back from A Joyful Noise (Dolly Parton)

10. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Just got back from a preview of Cirque du Soliel: Worlds Apart. I give it a qualified thumbs up. Qualified because you will only like it if you like Cirque -- though I can't imagine anyone who doesn't like Cirque wanting to see it! I did expect more plot, even tho there's really minimal plot to any live Cirque shows ... but no. It's essentially a "best of Cirque" -- various routines taken from Ka, Mystique, O, Love, Viva, and I can't remember what all else, strung together with the very thinnest of plot connecting thread. Great to look at, very entertaining in the moment ... but it won't be the main topic of conversation at dinner afterward!

Oh, and though I'm not a big booster of 3D in general, this film made excellent use of the 3D technology.

11. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I absolutely love 'Abraham's Daughter' by Arcade Fire from The Hunger Games. I hope it at least gets a nomination. Safe & Sound is a beautiful song but between the two I'm not sure why it gets so much more attention.

12. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Haven't been in a movie thread in a while and don't have time right now to catch up on this one but I just wanted to pop in and let you all know that I just finished watching 50/50 and thought it was wonderful. You'll need a box of tissues for the last half hour or so, though.

13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  14. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

"Les Mis" was far better than "The Hobbit," in my opinion.

Just need to see "The Sessions" and "Amour" (both of which are at my local theater) but don't want to fall into a million depressions before the holiday.

15. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Actually Sessions is quite uplifting. I don't know about Amour.

16. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Saw "Life of Pi" with a friend today; they did a great job of bringing the book to the screen, as well as the emotional impact. My friend who is very stoic cried at the end when Pi was talking about the end of his relationship with Richard Parker. We saw the 2D version because 3D causes my friend to get migraines, and I can imagine the 3D variation would be pretty spectacular.

17. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

As I wrote waaay up thread, Amour is a beautiful film, but it GUTTED me at the theatre. Those who have a tendency to get verklempt at the movies may want to consider seeing it at home. Pacing could be a challenge for some, but I went into the movie having slooowed myself down (if that makes sense :) ) and I was game for the long quiet shots. Absolutely I can see why the performances are getting awards attention. The two leads are spectacular.

I watched Home Alone one and two, and Bridget Jones' Diary, consecutively over the weekend. Oh Christmas time is here.

18. VIETgrlTerifa

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  19. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Just a few smaller movies being released this week. Not sure if I'm going to add Amour to my To See list. The trailer didn't really grab me, but isn't it being nominated for a lot of awards? Guess I'll wait to hear more about it in the media and then add it to my list if it starts to grab my interest.

December 19 Amour (Romantic drama. From imdb.com: “Georges and Anne are in their eighties. They are cultivated, retired music teachers. Their daughter, who is also a musician, lives abroad with her family. One day, Anne has an attack. The couple's bond of love is severely tested.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekjfj8sLFqs

December 21 Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away (Fantasy. From imdb.com: “Two young people journey through the dreamlike worlds of Cirque du Soleil to find each other.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgiLU9lNnU8

December 21 On the Road (Adventure drama with Garrett Hedlund, Kristin Stewart, Amy Adams, Viggo Mortensen and Kirsten Dunst)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZhM-AcCzNU

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I saw 'Hitchcock' today. There were only three other people in the movie theater, for the 11 am show.

I really enjoyed it and later I was shocked when I read in the Entertainment magazine that they consider it the worst movie of the year. They did not see anything positive about the movie- not even Helen Mirren's performance. I don't consider this movie a best picture contender, but come on Entertainment! It was a very enjoyable movie. I don't know how truthful it was, but it flowed beautifully. The acting was excellent. The only thing I did not like was the way it started.

21. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

They have clearly blocked "Rock of Ages" from their memory. Something I'm still working on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :soapbox:

22. VIETgrlTerifa

Apparently Naomi Watts is starting to become a front-runner in a very loaded Best Actress race that looked like to be an all Jessica Chastain-Jennifer Lawrence race.

For those of you who missed it, here's the trailer for the The Impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgw394ZKsis

Watts is getting a lot of Hollywood support, and after both a Globe and SAG nomination, it seems like she's not wanting for recognition.

I also want to see Beasts of the Southern Wild as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqt5m0OBkjE

Some Oscar pundits are saying that Quvenzhané Wallis may also sneak in there for a Best Actress nomination. She wasn't eligible for a SAG award because she's not a part of guild or something like that.

23. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I posted this on my FB page, but I'll repeat myself here. There's probably an excellent movie somewhere in "The Hobbit," but it's buried by a lot of bloat. There is zero reason for the movie to be almost three hours long.

My cousin who works for a Hollywood studio agreed with my, and he says the same is true of "Django Unchained" as well. (Not that that will probably stop me from going to see it.)

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Wasn't the opening of both D'jango Unchained and Jack Reacher both postponed?

25. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

^^ Reacher definitely was postponed. I think D'jango was always scheduled to premier on Christmas Day.

26. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

The Top 25 Films of 2012 This list is from Yahoo Movies.

I've bolded the ones I've seen. I think I want to see all of the movies on this list, except for Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson lost me a long time ago). Djano Unchained is not high on my list either, Tarantino has such a ****-on for violence. He really needs to seek therapy for that!! :lol: I don't remember anything about The Raid: Redemption and after watching the trailer, I'm adding it to my "No Thanks" list. Boys obsessed with fighting growing up to be men still obsessed with the same thing. :blah:

25. 21 Jump Street
    24. The House I Live In
    23. Compliance
    22. The Beasts of the Southern Wild
    21. Marvel's The Avengers
    20. Rust and Bone
    19. Lincoln
    18. Silver Linings Playbook
    17. Wreck-It Ralph
    16. The Raid: Redemption
    15. The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    14. End of Watch
    13. Magic Mike
    12. Lawless
    11. The Cabin in the Woods
    10. The Hunger Games
    9. Moonrise Kingdom
    8. The Central Park Five
    7. Amour
    6. Django Unchained
    5. Cloud Atlas
    4. Looper
    3. Argo
    2. Skyfall
    1. Zero Dark Thirty

27. VIETgrlTerifa

One thing I love about Tarantino is that despite all the cartoon-style blood and gore and vulgarity mixed in, he's a real actor's director. Actors really shine in his films and he's generous with monologues and clever dialogue.

28. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I got to go to a screening of Django Unchained. Overall, I thought it was a very good film, although it could have used a bit of editing here and there as some of it meandered. Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, and especially Christoph Waltz gave strong performances.

29. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

The movies premiere's were cancelled last week due to the massacre of all those poor children in Connecticut. The release dates for the films were not changed, however.

30. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member