Let's Talk Movies! #21...Oscar Bait, Christmas Movies, "Bad" Movies You Loved......)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Nov 26, 2012.

Which Of These New Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

1. December 7 – Deadfall (Crime drama with Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde)

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. December 14 - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Fantasy with Ian McKellen...)

46 vote(s)
    58.2%
  3. December 19 - The Guilt Trip (Comedy with Barbra Streisand, Seth Rogen, Adam Scott and Colin Hanks)

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. December 19 - Monsters, Inc. 3D (Animated with John Goodman, Billy Crystal, etc.)

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  5. December 19 - Zero Dark Thirty (Action with Chris Pratt, Joel Edgerton, Jessica Chastain, etc.)

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  6. December 21 - This Is 40 (Comedy with Paul Rudd, Melissa McCarthy and John Lithgow)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  7. December 21 - The Impossible (Action with Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor)

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
  8. December 25 - Django Unchained (Western with Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz)

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  9. December 25 - Les Misérables (Musical with Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway)

62 vote(s)
    78.5%
  10. December 28 - Promised Land (Drama with Matt Damon, John Krasinski and Frances McDormand)

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  11. February 8 - Identity Thief (Comedy with Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy and Jon Favreau)

10 vote(s)
    12.7%
  12. February 14 - A Good Day to Die Hard (Action with Bruce Willis and Cole Hauser)

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nan

Nan Just me

Will this make me cry?

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Les Mis is running 74% approval currently on rottentomatoes. Among the criticisms are that there are too many close-ups of the actors and too many of the shots are the same. There's almost universal praise for Anne's 3 minutes one-take rendition of IDAD. Most likely an Oscar winning performance for her.

3. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I just scored some tickets to the preview of Cirque du Soliel: Worlds Away on Saturday morning. I'm putting aside the fact that it's a James Cameron production ... and concentrating on the fact that it's Cirque.

4. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Maybe. But NOTHING like Terms of Endearment!!!

6. martian_girl

martian_girl New Member

The Critics Choice Awards announced their nominations:

BEST PICTURE
    "Argo"
    "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
    "Django Unchained"
    "Les Misérables"
    "Life of Pi"
    "Lincoln"
    "The Master"
    "Moonrise Kingdom"
    "Silver Linings Playbook"
    "Zero Dark Thirty"

ACTOR
    Bradley Cooper – “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Daniel Day-Lewis – “Lincoln”
    John Hawkes – “The Sessions”
    Hugh Jackman – “Les Misérables”
    Joaquin Phoenix – “The Master”
    Denzel Washington – “Flight”

ACTRESS
    Jessica Chastain – “Zero Dark Thirty”
    Marion Cotillard – “Rust and Bone”
    Jennifer Lawrence – “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Emmanuelle Riva – “Amour”
    Quvenzhané Wallis – “Beasts of the Southern Wild”
    Naomi Watts – “The Impossible”

SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Alan Arkin – “Argo”
    Javier Bardem – “Skyfall”
    Robert De Niro – “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Philip Seymour Hoffman – “The Master”
    Tommy Lee Jones – “Lincoln”
    Matthew McConaughey – “Magic Mike”

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Amy Adams – “The Master”
    Judi Dench – “Skyfall”
    Ann Dowd – “Compliance”
    Sally Field – “Lincoln”
    Anne Hathaway – “Les Misérables”
    Helen Hunt – “The Sessions”

I wasn't really excited for this one, but the trailer looks awesome! :eek:

7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Okay, so last week, I didn't think ANY of the trailers for the smaller movies looked any good. This week...they ALL do! :lol: The first three are going on my To See list. :)

December 14 Any Day Now (Drama with Alan Cumming and Frances Fisher)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ghwGOuuNy0

December 14 Let Fury Have The Hour (Documentary. From imdb.com: “A documentary that chronicles how a generation of artists, thinkers, and activists used their creativity as a response to the reactionary politics that came to define our culture in the 1980s.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWleS2KfRY0

December 10 The Loving Story (Documentary. From imdb.com: “A racially-charged criminal trial and a heart-rending love story converge in this documentary about Richard and Mildred Loving.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62ZBiHNJoM

December 14 The Girl (Drama with Sienna Miller, Toby Jones and Imelda Staunton)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ALGg1gzFc

December 14 Jason Becker: Not Dead Yet (Documentary. From imdb.com: “When doctors diagnosed 19-year-old rock star Jason Becker with Lou Gehrig's Disease, they said he would never make music again. 22 years later, without the ability to move or to speak, Jason is alive and making music with his eyes.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGFDWTC8B8g

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Glad to see Ang Lee and the Life of Pi getting some recognition.

9. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I have now seen The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey, and I have two words for y'all: Thorin Oakenshield. :swoon: :smokin: :swoon: :grope: :swoon: Didn't expect to find myself wanting to throw myself at one of the dwarves, but there you go. :eek:

10. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

From what I read, this 'dwarf' is a 6ft 2 in. hulk in real life. :)

11. Vash01

I like it that they have 6 spots in each acting category. The Oscars should do the same. Too many great performances just miss the cut.

I agree with most of these nominations, although I have not seen The master and Les Mis and a few others.

12. VIETgrlTerifa

You should check out the BBC miniseries North and South based on the Elizabeth Gaskell novel. He's excellent in that.

13. Vash01

I love these categories in the Critics Choice awards. Can James Bond/Daniel Craig win this one? I think the female award will go to Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger games) even though Judi Dench was excellent in Skyfall.

ACTOR IN AN ACTION MOVIE
    Christian Bale – “The Dark Knight Rises”
    Daniel Craig – “Skyfall”
    Robert Downey Jr. – “The Avengers”
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt – “Looper”
    Jake Gyllenhaal – “End of Watch”

ACTRESS IN AN ACTION MOVIE
    Emily Blunt – “Looper”
    Gina Carano – “Haywire”
    Judi Dench – “Skyfall”
    Anne Hathaway – “The Dark Knight Rises”
    Jennifer Lawrence – “The Hunger Games”

14. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

So what awards that are not the Oscars carry the most weight with Oscar voters? I'm always curious about the Bafta's but then I'm not an Oscar voter (oh but I wish I was!)

15. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The Actor Guiles Award probably carries the most weight outside of the Oscar in the U.S., since the winners are determined by their peers.

16. Vash01

I think you mean the SAG awards (Screen Actors' Guild)........... they carry weight for the acting awards, obviously. They have the best ensemble award, instead of best picture. In the past the SAG awards had been very good predictors of the Oscars. Now a little less, but still pretty good.

I think the Golden Globes have been pretty good predictors of Oscars in the last 3-4 years. Prior to that, sometimes the GG award winners were a big surprise (e.g. Jim Carey). They don't carry as much weight as the SAG for the actors, I think, but they still are respected, as any award would be. They are also widely watched (on major networks in the USA) which is another advantage for the nominees and the winners.

IMHO the BAFTA does not carry a lot of weight with the Oscar voters because the BAFTAs are heavily tilted toward British actors and movies- just my impression.

17. VIETgrlTerifa

Guild Awards (like actor's guilds, producer's guilds, director's guild, etc.) carry more weight than Critic circles or organizations.

Other award shows like the Golden Globes and BAFTAs tend to have a lot of correlation as well.

18. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

He's kinda scary lookin'!

I think you're right, but Haywire was a pretty good movie. :)

There was talk about Jim Carrey being nominated for an Academy Award before, most notably for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And maybe for Man on the Moon and The Truman Show as well? I thought he was quite good in "I Love You Phillip Morris" as well.

By the way, I see at imdb.com that in 2014, we will be seeing Carrey in "Dumb and Dumber To". :lol:

19. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Back off, he's mine!

I've been drooling over Richard Armitage since Cold Feet, but it was his his leather-trouser-wearing Guy of Gisbourne and his dark-and-brooding-is-he-or-isn't-he-a-double-agent in Spooks that put me over the top.

Can't say his look in The Hobbit is my favourite ... but I'm not complaining.

20. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

ummm I just watched some Les Miz teasers...Russel Crow is HORRIBLE. Like...REALLY BAD. I think he is going to ruin the movie. I don't understand why he is in the movie...

21. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

22. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Hugh Jackman lobbied for him since they're pretty good friends. Wish Alan Rickman was in the role instead.

23. Nan

Nan Just me

That's not a point of reference for me, I didn't care for TofE at all.

24. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

25. Nan

Nan Just me

26. VIETgrlTerifa

"Give my daughter the shot!!!!!!!!" *jumps up and down frantically while awaiting my overdue Oscar*.

27. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

http://www.goldenglobes.org/2012/12/nominations-2013/

"Lincoln" and "Les Miz" top Golden Globe nominations.

Surprise love for "Salmon Fishing in Yemen" and another supporting actress nod for Nicole Kidman in the other-wise critically drubbed "The Paperboy." (She scored a SAG nomination earlier this week.)

This is the most support for "Django Unchained" we've see as well. The review are love-it-or-hate-it apparently.

28. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Oh. My. God. This scene just slays me....

And if you haven't reached for a hankie yet, how about Emma's goodbye scene?

:wuzrobbed

Well...a heart of stone is better than heart-less, no? ;)

29. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Saw Salmon Fishing in the Yemen via Netflix recently; fastest cure for my insomnia I have ever had. Was stunned at how boring it was.

30. VIETgrlTerifa

I just noticed that The Hobbit hasn't gotten any award notices. Are the critics lukewarm about it?